RoughRiders99

Solar League Baseball - A Future History: 2531-33 Season Recaps, Expansion (Io, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto) in 2534

1UCHvZ2.jpg

Due to the overwhelming votes and preference toward a certain candidate, SLB Commissioner Andres Sjolund announced what everybody was waiting for.

Isla Mendez of the Lagrange Islands will be awarded the second expansion team to begin play in the 2509 season, joining the other expansion team from Jupiter Station. The two newest teams will bring the league to a total of eight teams.

“We were just flooded with calls and comments clamoring for a team on the Lagrange Islands, and Isla Mendez was the perfect choice for the second expansion team,” commissioner Anders Sjolund said. “So we decided to award them a team a little early.”

“This is a perfect opportunity for us to tap into a new market, and to allow the Luna Apollos flourish on their own on the Moon for a little while before they get a team ways down the road.”

Sjolund said that it was difficult to not award Lake Armstrong a team, but Isla Mendez is flourishing at the right time and everybody wants a team there.

Isla Mendez will be working on the next several months* coming up with a team name, logo, and uniform sets to be ready for the 2509 season.

“We definitely want a Latin American/Hispanic theme for our team to represent our amazing community on the island,” Isla Mendez owner Ednel Báez commented. “We need some spice in there!”

The owner of the expansion team from Jupiter Station, Tom Rinker, also has announced their team name, the Jupiter Kings.

“We thought the name was fitting for a team whose home is the largest planet in the solar system,” Rinker said. “Therefore we should play like kings!”

The Jupiter Kings and the team from Isla Mendez will reveal their logos and uniforms sometimes during the 2508 season.      

With eight teams in the league, the league will extend their 150-game schedule to 154 games. Everybody will play each other 22 times, with 11 home and 11 road games.

RoughRiders99’s Notes/Disclaimer

* - When I said several months, I mean several “days” in real-life, as I will be working on the logos and uniforms for both teams.

I’ve chosen to go with the Jupiter Kings, which was one of the original names I used for my old Solar League concept series I did on these boards a long time ago.

I have yet to decide on the name for Isla Mendez, so I’m open to name suggestions. I really like some of the names I already saw, such as: Royals and Monarchs. However, the monarchy theme might not work as well because it might be too similar to the Jupiter Kings.

I wouldn't mind using a Spanish name straight up, similar to the Montreal Canadiens (french for Canadians). My idea is the Mendez Islanders, due to the Lagrange Islands. And with the Islanders name, they can still have a Latin/Caribbean feel to it. I might even call them the Méndez Isleños (Spanish for Islanders). But who knows. I might still go back to the Royals/Monarchs. I'm flexible at the moment.

My SLB posts probably will be sparse over the next few days, but I should still be around to discuss/brainstorm ideas with you guys.

Thanks again for all of your help and support! Looking forward to collaborate with you guys.

I like it! I’ll wait, but sometime in the future when expansion reopens, I’ll go right back to red Station cyclones. Too early for that though. For now, I’ll suggest something that is undecided. I suggest naming the team “Mendez Conquistadors”, to have a good and powerful name that directly ties to Hispanic culture.

If I can throw a name into the ring, the Isla Mendez Coatl (Possibly a Red/Green/White Color scheme)

Maybe Mendez Liberty or Libertadores because Lagrange points are often called liberation points (albeit not in the same context)

With Jupiter being the Roman god of the sky, I'd recommend the Storm/Lightning/Cyclones.

That also clears up the Monarchs/Royals for Isla Mendez. Or the Reyes (spanish for kings).

Just something I thought of and run by you. If you plan to do divisions, I realized that 4 of the 8 teams are on planets (Jupiter is on a station) while the others aren’t. You could do planetary conference and orbital conference until you get enough teams to do divisions. Just something I thought of.

11 hours ago, SpartanDesigns said:

I like it! I’ll wait, but sometime in the future when expansion reopens, I’ll go right back to red Station cyclones. Too early for that though. For now, I’ll suggest something that is undecided. I suggest naming the team “Mendez Conquistadors”, to have a good and powerful name that directly ties to Hispanic culture.

I'm stating to come around on the Conquistadors name. Still need to think up of a logo ideas. I'm not going to sugar coat it, but I may "borrow" a logo from somewhere else, like what I did with my other logos. I'll make sure to link the original source, of course! 

10 hours ago, Darknes said:

If I can throw a name into the ring, the Isla Mendez Coatl (Possibly a Red/Green/White Color scheme)

I'm planning on using that color scheme if I go with the Conquistadors! But if it's going to be the Islanders, then it'd be a tropical, Caribbean color scheme. 

8 hours ago, Goran The Man said:

I have a suggestion for the Isla Mendez team: maybe the Springs - in reference to the calculation of springs using the Lagrange equation? 

Link to the Lagrange equation: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Euler-LagrangeDifferentialEquation.html

7 hours ago, TekkogsSteve said:

Maybe Mendez Liberty or Libertadores because Lagrange points are often called liberation points (albeit not in the same context)

I absolutely love these ideas! However, I really want to go with the Hispanic/Latin theme for Mendez, but if the Lagrange Islands get another team (which I think they will), I'll definitely come back to your ideas! Probably for a team on Pamoja called the Lagrange Liberty or whatever. 

33 minutes ago, SpartanDesigns said:

Just something I thought of and run by you. If you plan to do divisions, I realized that 4 of the 8 teams are on planets (Jupiter is on a station) while the others aren’t. You could do planetary conference and orbital conference until you get enough teams to do divisions. Just something I thought of.

I have no plans on creating divisions until I reach 12 teams. However, I still have yet to decide if I want to do divisions by geography/East-West style (NBA/NHL) or American/National style (MLB/NFL style). That's something we'll have to discuss once the time comes. When we do set up the divisions, I don't want to change the divisions around too much for stability, to preserve rivalries, and whatnot. 

For reference, I have plans on making it two divisions/league for when I have 12 teams and beyond. I have schedule configurations planned for 12, 14, and 16 teams. Once I reach 20 teams, I'll likely do 4 divisions of 5 teams. 

I do must say thank you to your activity in this thread! You've offered lots of ideas and thoughts for me to ponder over, so I appreciate it!  

----

In conclusion, I'm going to spend a day or two working on the name for Isla Mendez. I'm pretty sure it'll be either the Mendez Conquistadors (Green/red/white) or the Mendez Islanders (Pirates of the Caribbean themed with exotic, pastel colors). I'll start another poll on that soon. 

Okay guys. This is an off-the-record post, as I'm looking for some feedbacks on which you think is the best color scheme for the Mendez Islanders. I've mocked up a few already, and I'd love to hear what you guys have to say! 

Thanks!

0lMgfpw.jpg

FYI: Sample A, D, and E have black in the logo, in case if it was hard to see. Sample B has dark purple in it.

I'm going with A myself. It just has the best look to me.

I like both A and F. 

B

In my opinion...

-A would be best for the “tropical” theme

-B and D are good for the “carribean” take on it

-E and C would be a good mix of both 

-F is the most practical and not out of the ordinary for a logo

If I had to choose one, I would personally choose C. It mixes the carribean/ pirate theme with the green and yellow, the tropical theme with the blue, and all together checks off all the boxes while not looking too crazy (ABD) or too Normal (EF), which I think is the opposite of what the team is trying to do.