RoughRiders99

Solar League Baseball - A Future History: 2531-33 Season Recaps, Expansion (Io, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto) in 2534

Great design on these last two teams! Might I suggest adding a secondary color for Jupiter to distinguish them more from Ceres?

54 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Great design on these last two teams! Might I suggest adding a secondary color for Jupiter to distinguish them more from Ceres?

Maybe someday I will down the road. Teams go through logo changes and recolors all the time. SLB probably will too! 

54 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Perhaps. I think a little gold, a la KC Royals, should do the trick. 

2509 Season

Yufknur.jpg

Season Recap

It was a brand new look for Solar League Baseball in 2509, with two new expansion teams and a new schedule format.

With the talent spread out across eight teams, the extremely deep Luna Apollos were able to prey on the weaker pitching staffs and batting lineups by leading the league in many categories. On the offensive side, they were first in runs scored (1038), batting average (.317), stolen bases (188), and on-base percentage (.383). Naturally, this is because they had a huge help from star outfielder Jim Jackson, set a record for the highest WAR acclimated in a season with 10.8. On the pitching side, they led the league in runs allowed (781), starting rotation ERA (4.84), and strikeouts (1128). Ken Vaughn won the first-ever triple crown in SLB history, where he led the league in wins (16), ERA (4.27) and strikeouts (183).

The Venus Sparrows made their first ever playoff appearance, and they didn’t need that extra slot, as they finished in second place, their highest finish ever. The Sparrows had plenty of thumpers, as they led the league in homers and slugging percentage. Rob Beckham had 47 homers while Chun-mei Fok had 31 homers.

Thanks to that third playoff spot, the Mars Warriors were able to participate in their sixth straight postseason. Veterans Peter Dierauer (.353/.476/.554) and Miguel Medrano (42 homers, 137 RBIs) continue to rack up awards with their offensive prowess.  

The Ceres Belters, Earth Astronauts, and Mercury Mets all finished within one win of each other for fourth, fifth, and sixth place respectively. Earth outfielder Jake Rosenbaum led the league in stolen bases (53), Mercury closer Keith Quigley racked up 38 saves, and Ceres outfielder Tony Gomez batted .347 on the season.

Like in any other sports since the 20th century, whenever there’s an expansion team, they will usually struggle in their first few years (with few expectations). The same went for the Jupiter Kings and the Mendez Islanders.

The Jupiter had a strong second half compared to the first half though. They went 32-28 in the second half while putting up a record of 37-47 in the first half. At home they were 39-38. The Kings were able to land 35-year old veteran first baseman Michinobu Hirano, three-time All-Solar first baseman, in the expansion draft. He ended up leading the team in homers (28) and RBIs (100). Their first pick in the expansion draft, shortstop Jon Mendoza from the Apollos, slashed a line of .300/.335/.452. Jose Grant was the big story for the Mendez Islanders. He had a breakout season, putting a WAR of 5.1, which was good enough for 5th in the league. He batted .333/.371/.501 while playing strong defense at shortstop.

Awards

Reliever of the Year       RP Alex Pier, Venus

Rookie of the Year         1B Zach Ingraham, Earth

Manager of the Year      MG Alfredo Melcias, Luna

Pitcher of the Year         SP Ken Vaughn, Luna

Most Valuable Player    OF Jim Jackson, Luna

All-Solar Team

C. Matt Bradbury, Venus

1B. Skip Flanagan, Earth

2B. Kyle Recupero, Mars

3B. Rob Beckham, Venus

SS. Ryan Peterson, Mercury

OF. Jim Jackson, Luna

OF. Tony Gomez, Ceres

OF. Miguel Medrano, Mars

UT. Pat Levine, Ceres

SP. Ken Vaughn, Luna

SP. Kululu Mattan, Ceres

RP. Alex Pier, Venus

RoughRiders99’s Notes/Disclaimer

I'm conducting a little experiment.

Because my season recaps are getting so long, and I found a new way to present the Galactic Series along with a new round, I've decided to break my seasonal recaps into two parts: the season recap and the postseason. This way, it'll be easier for everybody to read. 

Let me know if this works or not. 

Thanks! 

2509 Postseason

NZxNUAk.jpg

Game 1 – Venus 3, Mars 2

RODRIGUEZ, SPARROWS TAKE DRAMATIC GAME 1 FOR 1-0 SERIES LEAD

The Venus Sparrows started the Galactic Wild Card Series in dramatic fashion today, stealing Game 1 from the Mars Warriors in a walk-off in the 14th inning.

Venus won the game in the bottom of the 14th inning. With two outs and Ben Goodwin on the mound for Mars, shortstop John Wolf hit a dramatic solo home run, bringing Sparrows fans to their feet.

Venus took the 3-2 win thanks in large part to a good day from starter Adrian Rodriguez. The right-hander threw 8 innings of 4-hit ball in the win, which gave the Sparrows a 1-0 lead to start the best-of-3 series.

"The competition leap this year was tough to adjust to and I feel like there has been another jump in the playoffs," said Wolf, a rookie this season. "You're only playing the best now and everyone has time to rest and prepare for you."

Game 2 – Mars 5, Venus 0

MARS WIN EVENS SERIES AT 1

The Mars Warriors knotted up the Galactic Wild Card Series at Sparrows Ballpark today, thanks in large part to starter Ricardo Medina. Medina quieted the Venus Sparrows, enabling Mars to grab the 5-0 win and move into a 1-1 tie in the best-of-3 series.

Medina allowed no earned runs on 5 hits over 7 innings for the Warriors. He walked 2 and struck out 8.

"We cashed in when we had the chance," said Mars manager John Arvizo.

Game 3 – Mars 5, Venus 4

WARRIORS PREVAIL, AS GALACTIC WILD CARD SERIES GOES TO THE WIRE

There's joy in Mars tonight as the Warriors took the Galactic Wild Card Series to the brink and came out on top.

The Mars Warriors have advanced to the Galactic Series, by edging the Venus Sparrows 2-1, with the final blow coming in a 5-4 win in 11 innings at Sparrows Ballpark.

Mars outfielder Miguel Medrano hit a go-ahead RBI double in the top of the 11th inning.

Mars leadoff hitter Ming Hua had two homers in the game and a stolen base for good measure.

"Whether or not there's bad blood on the field, we respect Venus and their players and that was one heck of a series," said Mars right-hander Ricardo Medina, who earned series MVP honors. "You've got to give them credit, as in the end they pushed us right to the edge and that's a big test."

For the series, Medina had a 0.00 ERA over 7 innings pitched. He added 8 strikeouts with a 1-0 record.

The Mars Warriors will play against the regular season champions Luna Apollos in the next round.

1dAd58u.jpg 

Game 1 – Mars 10, Luna 8

ROAD WIN LIFTS MARS TO 1-0 LEAD IN GALACTIC SERIES

The Mars Warriors faced a tough opponent in Luna Apollos left fielder and likely MVP Jim Jackson, but did just enough to pull out a win in Game 1 of the Galactic Series, which they now lead 1-0. The Warriors won 10-8 at the Lunardome, despite the efforts of Jackson, who was 4-5 with a home run, a double, and 2 singles, while scoring 3 times and driving in 3 and was named player of the game.

Mars first baseman Bret Hopson's hit in the top of the ninth was a game-changer. With two out, he knocked a changeup from Mike Kamp for a go-ahead, 3-run home run. It put Mars in front, 10-8.

"I like our moxie," said Warriors manager John Arvizo.

Game 2 – Luna 6, Mars 3

RAUCOUS LUNARDOME CROWD PROPELS APOLLOS TO 6-3 VICTORY; SERIES TIED AT 1

The Luna Apollos topped the Mars Warriors by the score of 6-3 and moved into a 1-1 tie in the Galactic Series today. The largest share of the credit went to player of the game and Luna starter Steve Shook, who threw 7 innings of 5-hit ball in the win.

Jesse Hulbert, who is rated as the 22nd best prospect by BNN, aided the Luna cause with a 2-run home run in the bottom of the first. For the game, the third baseman was 1-4 with a home run. He drove in 2 runs and scored once.

"For the most part, I made good pitches when I needed to," said Shook.

Game 3 – Luna 19, Mars 5

ROAD WIN LIFTS LUNA TO 2-1 LEAD IN GS

Riding the 3-hit performance of catcher Kevin McKenney, the Luna Apollos got a road blowout win against the Mars Warriors, 19-5, in Game 3 of the Galactic Series today. McKenney was 3 for 4 with a double, 2 singles, and a walk. He scored 2 runs and drove in 6 for the Apollos, who now lead the best-of-7 series, 2 games to 1.

McKenney had a big at-bat with runners on 2nd and 3rd in the top of the sixth inning, when he hit a run-scoring single. The Apollos went on to win.

"I felt good up there," said McKenney. "I saw the ball well."

Luna’s 38-year old designated hitter Xie-li Shui also had five RBIs on two hits and a grand slam in the eighth inning.

Game 4 – Luna 8, Mars 0

ALMOST THERE: LUNA ON CUSP OF GS TRIUMPH AFTER 8-0 WIN

The Luna Apollos got an exceptional performance from starter Masato Yanagisawa, who silenced the Mars offense en route to an 8-0 shutout win in Game 4 of the Galactic Series today. The Warriors could never get a bead on the right-handed Yanagisawa, who threw 9 innings of shutout ball to earn player of the game honors. The Apollos now hold a 3-1 advantage in the best-of-7 series.

Yanagisawa allowed no earned runs on 5 hits over 9 innings for the Apollos. He walked 1 and struck out 2.

"I just tried to attack the bottom of the zone," Yanagisawa said.

Xie-li Shui, Ben Jackson, and Brennan Owen each collected two RBIs and hit a homer for Luna.

Game 5 – Luna 4, Mars 2

LUNA TOPS MARS FOR 2ND GALACTIC SERIES TITLE IN TEAM HISTORY

It's party time on the Moon. The confetti is flying and residents are smiling.

The Luna Apollos have reached the mountaintop, capturing the 2509 Galactic Series today. They defeated the Mars Warriors 4-2 at Warrior Stadium to officially wrap up the series 4-1.

Asked how it feels to be champion, series MVP Jim Jackson was to the point.

"It feels great, like a million bucks. I'm so happy right now, not just for me but for all the guys," he said. "We put a lot of work into this and deserve to be champions."

Jackson slashed a line of .667/.750/1.222 with three homers and eight RBIs on 12 hits in just 18 at-bats.

The team is planning a victory parade and fan appreciation day later in the week. Luna finished the regular season 97-57 and claimed first place in the Solar League.

Series MVP

OF Jim Jackson

12 hits, 3 homers, 8 RBIs, .667/.750/1.222

Love the Jupiter Kings!

Next expansion name: comets or asteroids

kuOoJy5.jpg

This post is going to be pretty straightforward, filled with stats, all-time team, past winners, and whatnot.

Above is the 10th anniversary logo that all eight SLB teams will wear as a patch on their uniforms for the 2510 season. 

VMHMMZW.jpg

10th Anniversary All-Solar Team

C – Dylan Nulph, Astronauts-Warriors

1B – Skip Flanagan, Astronauts

2B – Ryan Peterson, Mets

3B – Peter Dierauer, Warriors

SS – Zack Dobson, Astronauts

LF – Jim Jackson, Apollos

CF – Luke Tasler, Astronauts-Sparrows

RF – Xie-li Shui, Mets-Sparrows-Belters-Apollos

UT – Miguel Medrano, Warriors

SP – Jeremy Winters, Warriors-Belters-Mets-Venus-Apollos

SP – Nate Roberts, Sparrows-Mets

SP – Dylan Heuer, Astronauts-Apollos

SP – Nate Sackman, Astronauts-Islanders

SP – Dave Squitieri, Mets-Apollos

RP – Jerrod Pickens, Mets-Astronauts-Warriors

Galactic Series Winners

2500 – Earth Astronauts

2501 – Earth Astronauts

2502 – Earth Astronauts

2503 – Earth Astronauts

2504 – Mars Warriors

2505 – Mars Warriors

2506 – Mars Warriors

2507 – Luna Apollos

2508 – Mars Warriors

2509 – Luna Apollos

MVP Winners

2500 – Xie-li Shui, Mets

2501 – Xie-li Shui, Mets

2502 – Xie-li Shui, Mets

2503 – Xie-li Shui, Mets

2504 – Xie-li Shui, Mets

2505 – Luke Tasler, Astronauts

2506 – Rob Beckham, Sparrows

2507 – Jim Jackson, Apollos

2508 – Jim Jackson, Apollos

2509 – Jim Jackson, Apollos

Pitcher of the Year

2500 – Dylan Heuer, Astronauts

2501 – Dylan Heuer, Astronauts

2502 – Nate Roberts, Mets

2503 – Jonathan Namie, Astronauts

2504 – Nate Roberts, Mets

2505 – Jeremy Winter, Belters

2506 – Tadakuni Naito, Apollos

2507 – Yoshio Sakai, Mets

2508 – Andrew Johnson, Sparrows

2509 – Ken Vaughn, Apollos

JWShlQo.jpg

You may want to click on the leaderboards image to enlarge the text

RoughRiders99’s Notes/Disclaimer

Okay, folks! I think that's all of the "special" posts I have for a while.

The next round of expansion should come in around 4-5 years. Depends, maybe. I may want to see how competitive Jupiter and Mendez get before I expand. It most likely will be two teams, just like the first round of expansion. But, the biggest question is: do I realign the league into 2 divisions of five teams or not? I already have a schedule format for either 1 division of 10 teams and 2 divisions of 5 teams. If there are 2 divisions, then there will be an All-Solar (Star) Game.

If I do realign the league, how do I mix up the teams? Geographically (inner-outer?) A mixture (similar to National-American)? By size (planets vs moons)? 

If you ask me, I vote the NL-AL version. But that brings up a second question; who goes where and why?

Of course, all that may depend on where the next two expansion teams will be. 

Start throwing in your ideas and I'll take them into consideration. 

I'm going to sim the next few seasons to get ahead a little bit. So you might see a little inactivity for a few days as I get ahead and live out my "real life." But I'll still be around for discussion, of course!

Thanks!

Umm you gotta rearrange the standings on the overall standings. You have the Ceres logo next to the Astronauts, the Sparrows next to the Mets etc.

Inner-outer, IMO.

When simulating, do you use a computer program or just like pick a team and say they'll win or do you flip a coin or...?

37 minutes ago, Darknes said:

Umm you gotta rearrange the standings on the overall standings. You have the Ceres logo next to the Astronauts, the Sparrows next to the Mets etc.

Holy crap how the heck did I miss that!? I’ll fix it ASAP. For right now, focus on the names, not the logos. That’s the correct information, not the logos. 

EDIT: The standings logos have been updated. Thanks again! I apologize for the error. 

37 minutes ago, winlevim said:

Inner-outer, IMO.

When simulating, do you use a computer program or just like pick a team and say they'll win or do you flip a coin or...?

Inner-outer is one of my preferred picks too, and it would greatly reduce travel times, given the vast of space in the solar system. We'll see how the expansion shakes thing out! 

I'm using OOTP 18 to simulate the results. It's a great game. You should check it out if you're at all interested in that sort of thing: OOTP

After hearing from a few people that the Islanders' set is great, but lacks a true primary logo.

So before the 2510 season, the Mendez Islanders released a brand new logo to serve as their primary logo.

The logo has the same word mark that the team wear on their home jerseys, in front of a baseball and a circular text. The yellow-to-blue gradient represents the famous sunset and the crystal clear blue waters of the Caribbean Sea. The subliminal flower pattern represents the plant life on the islands from the region. 

iIsjtRP.jpg

1 hour ago, RoughRiders99 said:

Inner-outer is one of my preferred picks too, and it would greatly reduce travel times, given the vast of space in the solar system. We'll see how the expansion shakes thing out! 

I'm using OOTP 18 to simulate the results. It's a great game. You should check it out if you're at all interested in that sort of thing: OOTP

How do you use it to simulate? Just checked it out but can't find anything where it could use a simulator thing. Any help? Sorry to bother about this, I'm starting an alternate universe league myself and I'm wondering if this might help.

1 hour ago, RoughRiders99 said:

After hearing from a few people that the Islanders' set is great, but lacks a true primary logo.

So before the 2510 season, the Mendez Islanders released a brand new logo to serve as their primary logo.

The logo has the same word mark that the team wear on their home jerseys, in front of a baseball and a circular text. The yellow-to-blue gradient represents the famous sunset and the crystal clear blue waters of the Caribbean Sea. The subliminal flower pattern represents the plant life on the islands from the region. 

iIsjtRP.jpg

Looks great, great work.

That’s waaaay better. I love it. I was thinking that you should go inner-outer for the time being. When you get to twelve teams though, I suggest something with a mix of both, a bit like this:

COSMIC CONFERENCE (6 teams)

Cosmic Inner Division (3 teams)

Cosmic Outer Division (3 teams)

STELLAR CONFERENCE (6 teams)

Stellar Inner Division (3 teams)

Stellar Outer Division (3 teams)

On 12/24/2017 at 6:09 PM, RoughRiders99 said:

by winning 108 years.

:lol:

8 hours ago, RoughRiders99 said:

iIsjtRP.jpg

Looks just like the Brewers logo, and usually i would rant about this, but the Brewers are my favorite team!