RoughRiders99

Solar League Baseball - A Future History: 2531-33 Season Recaps, Expansion (Io, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto) in 2534

This has been a rather interesting storyline so far, if an absurd one. (Not due to Space travel/colonies, but due to the implied medical tech level.)

16 hours ago, SpartanDesigns said:

That’s waaaay better. I love it. I was thinking that you should go inner-outer for the time being. When you get to twelve teams though, I suggest something with a mix of both, a bit like this:

COSMIC CONFERENCE (6 teams)

Cosmic Inner Division (3 teams)

Cosmic Outer Division (3 teams)

STELLAR CONFERENCE (6 teams)

Stellar Inner Division (3 teams)

Stellar Outer Division (3 teams)

That sounds like a great idea! It’s a true mix of both using MLB style. There’s the NL East and NL West, like the “Cosmic Inner” and “Cosmic Outer.”

Not sure about the “Stellar” name yet but I’ll definitely take it in consideration. 

Maybe I’ll Ill do that when I get to 16 teams. I feel like 3-team divisions are too small, but you never know!

Thanks!

11 hours ago, RealSkillsAbraham said:

Looks just like the Brewers logo, and usually i would rant about this, but the Brewers are my favorite team!

Exactly! I used the Brewers logo as an inspiration for the Islanders. 

9 hours ago, FDW said:

This has been a rather interesting storyline so far, if an absurd one. (Not due to Space travel/colonies, but due to the implied medical tech level.)

Thanks! I know it’s pretty out there, but sometimes we just need to suspend our disbelief a little bit and let our imagination run wild a little it :)

To help with alignment, I thought of this. It’s not perfect or anything, it’s just what I imagine a twelve team league looking a bit like. I changed the Stellar name, and I like Astral better than stellar by far. It may be early but what the heck, i Love this thread. I put a suggestion city next to the expansion teams. No suggestion names yet, this isn’t a sales pitch. I’ll wait for expansion teams before I do that (even though Ive made my red station suggestion clear).

This is what I picture:

COSMIC CONFERENCE (Green)

-Inner Division- (earth and around division)

Earth

Luna

Mendez

-Outer Division- (belt and beyond)

Ceres

Expansion 1-Titan City

Expansion 2-Triton

ASTRAL CONFERENCE (Purple)

-Inner Division- (more or less close to the sun)

Mars

Venus

Mercury

-Outer Division- (Jupiter division)

Jupiter

Expansion 3-Red Station

Expansion 4-Ganymede

28 minutes ago, SpartanDesigns said:

To help with alignment, I thought of this. It’s not perfect or anything, it’s just what I imagine a twelve team league looking a bit like. I changed the Stellar name, and I like Astral better than stellar by far. It may be early but what the heck, i Love this thread. I put a suggestion city next to the expansion teams. No suggestion names yet, this isn’t a sales pitch. I’ll wait for expansion teams before I do that (even though Ive made my red station suggestion clear).

This is what I picture:

COSMIC CONFERENCE (Green)

-Inner Division- (earth and around division)

Earth

Luna

Mendez

-Outer Division- (belt and beyond)

Ceres

Expansion 1-Titan City

Expansion 2-Triton

ASTRAL CONFERENCE (Purple)

-Inner Division- (more or less close to the sun)

Mars

Venus

Mercury

-Outer Division- (Jupiter division)

Jupiter

Expansion 3-Red Station

Expansion 4-Ganymede

I like where you’re going with this, but like you already said, it isn’t perfect or anything. Astral is definitely better than Stellar, so thanks for that! I still love the idea of a mixed NL/AL-geography based layout. 

Few things to keep in mind are the OOTP schedules with the right matchups I want that are readily available from the OOTP Community, and natural/developed rivals may play a factor in the realignment. 

For example, if there’s an expansion team in Lake Armstrong, Luna, then the Apollos and the new team would be in different leagues like the Yankees and the Mets. Also, given the history between the Astronauts-Mets and Apollos-Warriors, I may be inclined to keep them together. 

As for the schedules, I have yet to find a reasonable format for a 12-team, 4-division layout, so we may have to wait until 20 teams to break it up in 4 divisions. I already have a format for 12, 14, 16, 18 (all 2 divisions) and 20 teams (4 divisions). The 12 and 14 teams would be using an old MLB-style schedule. 

I will tell you this: there will be a 4-team expansion (or merger!?) at some point. I’m just not sure when yet. 

I agree with everything you said here. I didn’t consider the schedules, and that is probably really important. I do think that three teams in a division would be really competitive, especially if all three are in a rivalry. I get that it’s a bit small too. Either way, do what you want, it’ll go great. I just wanna see what happens.

Without knowing exactly where SLB goes in the future, I have some potential names should certain locales land teams.*

Triton: Retros. Named for the fact that Triton orbits is parent planet, Neptune, in a retrograde (clockwise) direction. Colors: Purple and Teal (as in, 1990s retro)

Ganymede: Giants. Named for the fact that Ganymede is the largest moon in the Solar System (it being larger than Mercury) and for an alliteration of sorts.

Pluto (or Pluto-Charon): Demons, Reapers, Hellhounds, Guardians. Could be used for the fact that Pluto got its name from the Roman god of the underworld (with the first two), a blend of this and the coinciding of the Disney character being named for the planet (playing off Cerberus), and the final one being that possibly the Pluto-Charon system lies on the outer reaches of the Solar System and could be home to a military base.

*This is more spitballing at this point. Admittedly I'm not entirely clear about the entire lore of this league's history and what worlds are inhabited enough to house a team in the year 2510.

Edited by DustDevil61
Wordage cleanup, Ganymede and Pluto added

6 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

Without knowing exactly where SLB goes in the future, I have some potential names should certain locales land teams.*

Triton: Retros. Named for the fact that Triton orbits is parent planet, Neptune, in a retrograde (clockwise) direction. Colors: Purple and Teal (as in, 1990s retro)

Ganymede: Giants. Named for the fact that Ganymede is the largest moon in the Solar System (it being larger than Mercury) and for an alliteration of sorts.

Pluto (or Pluto-Charon): Demons, Reapers, Hellhounds, Guardians. Could be used for the fact that Pluto got its name from the Roman god of the underworld (with the first two), a blend of this and the coinciding of the Disney character being named for the planet (playing off Cerberus), and the final one being that possibly the Pluto-Charon system lies on the outer reaches of the Solar System and could be home to a military base.

*This is more spitballing at this point. Admittedly I'm not entirely clear about the entire lore of this league's history and what worlds are inhabited enough to house a team in the year 2510.

I really like all of these ideas. I think "Pluto Guardians" has the nicest ring to it. 

8 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

Thabks for the suggestions! I could have sworn I saw your username in my old solar baseball threads. Some of the names you listed were exactly the same ones I had in these old threads. Was that you? I likely will still be using them when the time comes though! 

And if you’re interested in the lore of this world, check out this infographic I made: 

RKTVyxB_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I have plans that each planet beyond Saturn will have at least one team, while the inner planets have more teams (larger population centers). 

P.S. I’m on mobile so formatting may be off a little bit. 

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I really like all of these ideas. I think "Pluto Guardians" has the nicest ring to it. 

In my old threads, the teams out there were called the Pluto Demons and the Charon Guardians. 

Although in this case, I may end up calling them the Pluto Guardians because there would only be one team. DustDevil brought up a great point about Pluto having a military base because they’re like the first line of defenders, so it works out pretty well. Guardians also plays into the Pluto-Charon mythology. “Pluto” would represent both Pluto and Charon and the other moons there. Kinda like a state name instead of a city name.  

1 hour ago, SpartanDesigns said:

The Ganymede giants have made a return!!

Yup. It’s one of my favorite names from the old threads and I have no plans on changing it. It’s just too perfect to not use and is a great baseball name. 

I have thr 2510 season ready to be posted later today, hopefully. It’s just the matter if I get WiFi to work, as I have a long layover at an airport. I’m traveling out of town for a wedding! 

(Currently posting from mobile)

1 hour ago, RoughRiders99 said:

Thabks for the suggestions! I could have sworn I saw your username in my old solar baseball threads. Some of the names you listed were exactly the same ones I had in these old threads. Was that you? I likely will still be using them when the time comes though! 

And if you’re interested in the lore of this world, check out this infographic I made: 

RKTVyxB_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I have plans that each planet beyond Saturn will have at least one team, while the inner planets have more teams (larger population centers). 

P.S. I’m on mobile so formatting may be off a little bit. 

I believe it was. ;) I didn't know that it was you that did the original thread. It's great to see this concept come back, being more fleshed-out. I knew the name "Guardians" was used somewhere in the original thread (but not used for Charon), and I do remember seeing the Jupiter Kings, Luna Apollos, and Mars Warriors somewhere in there. 

A couple further color ideas for the teams I mentioned, when their time comes to enter SLB:

- Ganymede Giants: Colors of Brown, Cream, and Orange (or Gray). Based largely off of the color of Ganymede itself and some possible inspiration from the San Francisco Giants. That said, looking at the Jupiter Kings, teams matching the color of their home world is not a requirement.

- Triton Retros: Make no mistake, the Retros' colors should be Purple and Teal, but given that there are already 2 teams in SLB wearing purple (Ceres and Jupiter), I'd be inclined to emphasize teal here.

- Pluto Guardians: Slate Gray, Peach (or light blue), and Brick Red, again inspired by the colors of the (dwarf) planet and its largest moon, or the color of Pluto's sunset.

Edited by DustDevil61
Pluto's sunsets and sunrises

I just looked at one of my first comments in this thread where I was suggesting teams (all Jupiter), and found that I suggested Ganymede giants without even knowing you used it before, kind of funny. I forgot about it because red station cyclones was more popular with everyone else and I started pushing that more. I guess it’s such a good name that we all suggest it.

I've been looking at this thread since it started, but have never posted anything. Everything is spectacular, but the one thing I wish was done is instead of Jupiter Kings it was Giants. It makes a lot of sense considering how big the planet itself is. 

2510 Season

POJJjSj.jpg

Season Recap

Despite losing three-time MVP outfielder Jim Jackson to a torn ACL in the middle of the season, the Luna Apollos were still able to rack up 99 wins behind strong pitching. As a team, they led the league in runs against (719), Starter and Bullpen ERA, and strikeouts. They still had a strong offense team, leading the league in batting average, on-base percentage, and stolen bases. Overcoming Jackson’s absence, the Apollos had three players that had 100+ RBIs.

The Earth Astronauts returned to the postseason for the first time since the 2506 season. They picked up a star third baseman in Peter Dierauer from Mars, and he set career highs in hits (219), RBIs (140) and WAR (9.1).

The Ceres Belters made the postseason for the first time in franchise history, and they did it by leading the league in slugging percentage and runs scored. The Belters had three players that scored 100+ runs, and five players that scored at least 92 runs. Outfielder Jason Brown finished second in the league with 36 homers.

Mercury shortstop Ryan Peterson led the league with an on-base percentage of .487. Venus third baseman Rob Beckham won his second batting title of his career by hitting .384 on the season. Mars missed the postseason for the first time since 2503. Mendez have a budding star in outfielder Bubba Forrest, who led the league with 53 homers and second in WAR (6.6) and on-base percentage (.484). Jupiter finished last in nearly all categories as they lost 108 games, tied for the most losses in SLB history (2502 Sparrows).

Awards

Reliever of the Year       RP Keith Quigley, Earth

Rookie of the Year         RF Armando Laguna, Ceres

Manager of the Year      MG Alfredo Melcias, Luna

Pitcher of the Year         SP Steve Shook, Luna

Most Valuable Player    3B Peter Dierauer, Earth

All-Solar Team

C. Matt Bradbury, Venus

1B. Skip Flanagan, Earth

2B. Kyle Recupero, Mars

3B. Peter Dierauer, Earth

SS. Ryan Peterson, Mercury

OF. Gabe Aguirre, Mars

OF. Donovan Sheridan, Mercury

OF. Bubba Forrest, Mendez

UT. Josh Macura, Luna

SP. Steve Shook, Luna

SP. Orlando Chavez, Earth

RP. Keith Quigley, Earth

RoughRiders99's Notes/Disclaimers

My first "true" post in a while! I have a few seasons already written out, so the pace should pick up a little bit over the next few days. I am going to start the next round of expansions discussion after the 2512 season. Just a heads up! 

Also, each season would be two posts in a row, the season recap and the postseason recap. 

2510 Postseason

Galactic Wild Card Series

NuMsgs1.jpg

Game 1 – Earth 6, Ceres 2

GALACTIC WILD CARD SERIES GAME 1 VICTORY FOR CORREA AND EARTH

The Earth Astronauts powered past the visiting Ceres Belters, 6-2, in the opener of the Galactic Wild Card Series at the Astrodome V today. Earth starting pitcher Ramon Correa threw 7 innings of 4-hit ball, to lead the charge. The Astronauts now lead the series 1-0.

Peter Dierauer, who signed a 6-year contract worth $180,000,000 on 11/25/2509, aided the Earth cause with a run-scoring double in the bottom of the sixth. For the game, the third baseman was 1 for 4 with a double.

"We looked pretty good up and down," said Earth manager Solano Palhares.

Game 2 – Earth 8, Ceres 7 (13 innings)

EARTH SWEEPS INTO THE GALACTIC SERIES

The Earth Astronauts have swept the Ceres Belters and are on to the Galactic Series. Earth won 8-7 today at Astrodome V to clinch the Galactic Wild Card Series.

First baseman Skip Flanagan hit a walk-off single in the bottom of the 13th inning with two outs to clinch the series.

"We're happy to have put the dagger in when we had the chance," said Earth shortstop Josh Lewis, who was named MVP for the series. "It could have been a tough series to finish if we let them start winning."

Lewis won the award with a .667 batting average and a .700 on-base percentage. He scored 3 runs in the first game, and went 3 for 6 in the second game.

The Earth Astronauts will play against the Luna Apollos in the next round. Luna had a bye in the Galactic Wild Card Series. The Galactic Series schedule will be announced after the Galactic Wild Card Series finishes.

Galactic Series

vfx9YBO.jpg 

Game 1 – Earth 5, Luna 4 (11 innings)

ASTRONAUTS, APOLLOS PLAY 11 TO SETTLE GAME 1, EARTH LEADS SERIES 1-0

When the games really matter, the Earth Astronauts put on their best show, beating the Luna Apollos by a final score of 5-4 today. Josh Macura earned player of the game honors, as he was 2-4 with a home run and a walk, while adding 2 RBI and scoring once. Earth now leads Luna 1-0 in the best-of-7 affair.

Chris Nielsen, the first overall pick in the 2508 draft, chipped in for Earth with a solo home run in the top of the 11th. For the game, the centerfielder had 2 hits in 5 at-bats with 1 home run, 1 single, 1 run scored, and 1 RBI.

"It's true for every sport, I think, but the playoffs are so short that you've just got to get in and get hot," Earth manager Solano Palhares told BNN after the win. "We took care of the first part and now we're just working on the second."

Game 2 – Luna 11, Earth 8

RF MACURA LIGHTS UP ASTRONAUTS FOR 5 RBIS AS APOLLOS TIE GS

The Luna Apollos relied on the hitting of rightfielder Josh Macura to get by the Earth Astronauts, 11-8, in Game 2 of the Galactic Series today. For the game, Macura was 3-4 with 2 home runs and a walk, while scoring 3 times and driving in 5. The clubs are now tied, 1-1.

Macura delivered in the bottom of the second inning for Luna. With the game tied and a runner on 2nd, the right fielder hit a 2-run home run to right.

"We came in and got the job done. That's what it's all about in this business," said Macura.

Game 3 – Luna 20, Earth 1

DOMINATING ROAD WIN LIFTS LUNA TO 2-1 LEAD IN GS

Riding the 4-hit performance of right fielder Josh Macura, the Luna Apollos got a road win against the Earth Astronauts, 20-1, in Game 3 of the Galactic Series today. Macura was 4-5 with a double, 3 singles, and 2 walks. He scored 5 runs and drove in 2 for the Apollos, who now lead the best-of-7 series, 2 games to 1.

Luna third baseman Jorge Anderson delivered a 3-run home run in the top of the first. Overall, he went 3 for 5, including 1 home run, 1 single, and 1 double. He scored 3 runs and batted in 5.

Luna infielders Ian Martin and Mat McNiel each also drove in 4 runs.

Luna starter Ian Parker pitched a complete game, allowing a run on three hits and struck out four while walking two.

"I like seeing our guys get a return on what they've put in," said Luna manager Alfredo Melcias.

Game 4 – Earth 7, Luna 6

ASTRONAUTS EVEN WITH APOLLOS AFTER WALK-OFF WIN

In a crucial game, the Earth Astronauts put on their best show, beating the Luna Apollos by a final score of 7-6 today. Binya Omoto earned player of the game honors, as he went 3 for 5 with a triple and a double. He scored 2 runs. Earth and Luna are now tied at 2 wins apiece in the best-of-7 affair.

The clutch at-bat came in the bottom of the ninth inning, when Earth third baseman Peter Dierauer, facing Jon Kuhn, had a run-scoring sacrifice fly. It gave the Astronauts the 7-6 win.

"We lost," Luna manager Alfredo Melcias said later. "We'll deal with it. The series isn't over."

Game 5 – Earth 7, Luna 6

ASTRONAUTS WIN SECOND STRAIGHT WALK-OFF WIN FOR 3-2 LEAD IN GS

Earth left fielder Binya Omoto was the key at Astrodome V today, being named player of the game as he powered the Astronauts to victory in a critical Game 5 of the Galactic Series. The Astronauts took the 7-6 win over the Luna Apollos to seize a 3-2 lead in the best-of-7 series.

Chris Fish was the walk-off hero for Earth. With the game tied in the bottom of the ninth inning, the Astronauts catcher hit a dramatic walk-off double to clinch Game 5.

"It feels good to get this one," Fish told the Earth Times.

Game 6 – Luna 9, Earth 3

MACURA, APOLLOS WALLOP ASTRONAUTS IN GAME 6 OF GS

The Luna Apollos and the Earth Astronauts will take the Galactic Series to a decisive 7th game. In a must-win situation today, the Apollos beat the Astronauts 9-3 at Lunardome to force the series into what will essentially be a one-game playoff. Luna right fielder Josh Macura was named player of the game in the win after he went 1-2 with a home run and 3 walks. He scored 2 runs and drove in 2.

Macura's nice game included a clutch 2-run home run in the bottom of the first.

"I got everyone together and told them they did great today," Luna manager Alfredo Melcias told BNN reporters after the game. "But I warned them that even if we make it out of the Galactic Series, it's only going to get harder."

Game 7 – Luna 11, Earth 5

LUNA WINS THIRD TITLE IN FOUR YEARS

The Luna Apollos pulled out all the stops tonight, winning the Galactic Series in a hard-fought series with the Earth Astronauts.

It was a seesaw affair, but with an 11-5 victory at Lunardome, Luna lay claim to the franchise's 3rd championship.

"There's no denying we faced a tough opponent," said Josh Macura. "But as the old saying goes, 'when the going gets tough, the tough get going,' and that's what we did today."

Macura also set a Galactic Series record for most homers (6) and RBIs (15) in a single postseason.

The champs finished the regular season 99-55 and claimed first place in the Solar League.

A victory parade is set to be schedule in Luna in the days to come.

Series MVP

Josh Macura

560/.694/1.320, 14 hits 6 homers, 15 RBIs in 25 at-bats

9 hours ago, coco1997 said:

If there’s no Saturn Rings or something along those lines I’d be surprised 

Could you give us photos of the stadiums please?  Or layouts?  Thanks and keep up the good work.