RoughRiders99

Solar League Baseball - A Future History: 2536 Regular Season & Postseason

I'll throw my vote in as well...

1. Jupiter Station - This location might be the best place to start with in the Jovian System. Ganymede City might have the larger population, but their odd request makes it harder for them to get in right away and Red Spot Station may not be able to get the support from corporations out there. This leaves Jupiter Station, in my opinion, as the best option to expand into the outer reaches of the solar system. As for the team name, my idea is the Jupiter Red Storm.

Why this name? The big red spot, of course! The spot is well known for storms, so that makes sense to me. Red has to be the primary and prominent color for this franchise. Some form of light brown colors would compliment it perfectly.

2. Isla Mendez: I get the idea that commissioner wants to expand outward before looking back in, but with the difficulties involved with Ganymede City and Red Spot Station, it might not be beneficial at this moment to go too far outside of the comfort zone at this moment. This is where Isla Mendez comes in with a large well of support for their team at the lower level. The kind of environment they have would be akin to Latin American teams. As for the nickname? How about the Isla Mendez Royals (In Spanish, it would be Realeza del Isla Mendez. The Spanish name would be part of the team's outreach towards the city's Latin American population). Color wise, it must be purple and gold. The colors of royalty.

3. Pamoja: This would be a perfect chance to crack into a market that doesn't see baseball as it's favorite sport. This issue also pops up with Spirit, but that city has a lot of unknowns going for it, so it might not be the best idea yet. Pamoja, on the other hand, would be a great chance for that non-baseball market team. Nickname wise, they would be the Pamoja Pride. Being the city with the largest African population among the cities in the SUN, it makes sense to have a nickname that would connect with them. Color wise would be a choice of either gold and white OR red, black and green (which is the flag of Africa... something like that, I think)

1. Lake Armstrong.This is too big of a market to have intrasolar baseball fail. Maybe another team on the Moon might be the motivation the Apollos need to become a great team. Suggestion: The Armstrong Pioneers "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"

2. Cythera and Cyprus. Breathtaking vista and a great market. I second the Sky City Twins.

3. Jupiter Station. Diehard fanbase so even with the small market size, it'll be a very reliable draw. Plus, the novelty appeal of being the only team in the outer system should overcome the small market size. Something like this would only work with dedicated owners. The Jupiter Storm or Cyclones would be my choices.

Might I suggest a new location, even if it waits until the next expansion? Neptune. The Neptune Hurricanes. The name works, as Neptune was the Roman god of the sea and of sea storms. That or the Pirates. Or the Tide, or really anything sea-themed. I see a really cool blue uniform. It's outer. Very outer. Are there cities that far out? If so, I would love to see a Neptune team either now or down the road.  Of the locations that are already listed, of course Lake Armstrong would be the first and best option. I like the Pioneers name. Ganymede City is a great option, but I would hold off until you can get the other teams in there. Isla Mendez is a great option. I say name them the Conquistadores, a double meaning, referencing both the Spanish conquest of the American continent and man's conquest of space. I don't have a third choice.

1. Jupiter Station

2. Isla Mendez
3. Cythera and Cyprus

I like seeing Jupiter station on a lot of these, I commented about Jupiter towards the beginning of this feed (even before expansion talks) and even though I love the idea of a team on the surface based off of the size and one in orbit off of the storm, I’m down for whatever combination. I also saw cyclones brought back up by @Red Comet and that’s pretty cool too.

18 hours ago, raysox said:

I seem to remember an old concept series of the universe baseball league, dunno if you were behind that one too, but these look really really good and I can actually get behind this. Keep it up!

Yup! That was me, a long time ago! I've dusted off the project and improved the teams using new techniques that I've learned since then. Plus, with the discovery of the worldbuilding subreddit, and finally learning how to use OOTP properly, I'm able to get this project going for good! 

13 hours ago, gwl144 said:

Might I suggest a new location, even if it waits until the next expansion? Neptune. The Neptune Hurricanes. The name works, as Neptune was the Roman god of the sea and of sea storms. That or the Pirates. Or the Tide, or really anything sea-themed. I see a really cool blue uniform. It's outer. Very outer. Are there cities that far out? If so, I would love to see a Neptune team either now or down the road.  Of the locations that are already listed, of course Lake Armstrong would be the first and best option. I like the Pioneers name. Ganymede City is a great option, but I would hold off until you can get the other teams in there. Isla Mendez is a great option. I say name them the Conquistadores, a double meaning, referencing both the Spanish conquest of the American continent and man's conquest of space. I don't have a third choice.

I absolutely have plans to expand the league to the outer planets, from Jupiter all the way to Pluto. Although because of the population sizes out there, it's likely that the planets would have only one team (located on one of their moons). Saturn might have two teams. Jupiter probably would have its own division because of all of the moons they have. 

And I'm going to use your ballot, and use Ganymede as your third choice, if you don't mind. It wouldn't matter much either way!

11 hours ago, SpartanDesigns said:

I like seeing Jupiter station on a lot of these, I commented about Jupiter towards the beginning of this feed (even before expansion talks) and even though I love the idea of a team on the surface based off of the size and one in orbit off of the storm, I’m down for whatever combination. I also saw cyclones brought back up by @Red Comet and that’s pretty cool too.

Yeah, Jupiter is the early favorite so far and it's looking like that they'll get an expansion team for sure. It's down between Lake Armstrong and Isla Mendez for the final spot. I have 7 votes so far (including myself), so I'll let 2ish more votes come in, then I'll start moving on!

Thanks again for all of your submissions! I'm excited to see where this project go from here! 

2507 season coming up soon, btw. 

Jupiter Station Storm:

Jupiter needs a team, flat out.

Lake Armstrong Eclipse:

Well the moon seems to be the hotspot of population, it would also create a great rivalry with the Apollos

Isla Mendez Monarchs

It’s not too far but not too close and would create good competition and has a great climate for baseball.

2507 Season

7QIxfC8.jpg

Season Recap

This season brought much-needed and exciting changes to SLB. While the Mars Warriors naturally repeated their regular season title, the big story was the Luna Apollos and Ceres Belters finishing in second and third place respectively.

Mars had a high offensive output, finishing first as a team in the league in runs scored and batting average. Peter Dierauer and Miguel Medrano batted .371 and .370 respectively, good for 2nd and 3rd in the league. Their pitching also was strong, finishing first as a team in runs against and lowest bullpen ERA.

Luna had a breakout season from outfielder Jim Jackson, who smashed 34 homers and drove in 136 RBIs while batting .363/.468/.627. He also generated a WAR of 7.7, good for 10th all-time of most WAR in a season. The team was also full of speedsters, as they led the league with 236 stolen bases. They had six players with at least 20 stolen bases, led by Fadeyka Pyatov with 47 stolen bases. The next team, Ceres, only had 136.

With changes at the general manager and manager positions, the Ceres Belters used new blood to produce their first winning season in team history. The team was first in homer with 235, led by Pat Levine with 35 homers. With strong season, the future couldn’t look brighter for the Belters.

The Mercury Mets didn’t do much this season, despite a strong defense, as they finished fourth. Ryan Peterson will likely be named to the All-Solar Team again, batting .388/.494/.570. He just didn’t play enough to qualify for the leaderboards due to a collection of injuries.

Last season seemed like a fluke for the Venus Sparrows, as they finished in fifth place. Rob Beckham won his first batting title with an average of .392. He also led the team in homers (28) and RBIs (109). Their pitching just couldn’t repeat the performance they had last year.

Earth has fallen off the face of the earth (apologizes for the terrible pun). They’ve always finished in the top three, except for this season, where they finished dead last. The team is aging, and most of their former superstars have move on to other teams. Their “Big 3” of Luke Tasler, Skip Flanagan, and Zack Dobson is still around, as they finished in the top three in most categories.

Galactic Series VIII

jbp9iEi.jpg

The 2507 Galactic Series was one to remember. The Luna Apollos became the first team in SLB history to come back from a 0-3 deficit to win a seven-game series by winning four games in row over the Mars Warriors. The Apollos also became the third ever team to win a Galactic Series. 

In the first three games, it was all about the Warriors. Mars won Game 1 with three RBIs from Rick Scanlon and nine strikeouts from starter Andy Lopez. In Game 2, Mark Kantola hit a clutch game-winning homer in the eighth inning for a 3-2 victory. Miguel Medrano had two homers in a resounding 7-1 victory.

But in Game 4, the Men on the Moon flipped a switch. Starter Rodolfo Boyce threw seven gutsy innings and allowed just two runs in 4-2 victory.

The Warriors tied the game in the top of the ninth inning with two runs, but Apollos responded immediately with a walk-off double by Dan Marsh in Game 5 to force the series back to Mars.

The Apollos continued their hot roll by scoring eight runs in Game 6 for an easy win. And finally, the Warriors just fell apart, as the Apollos shut them out 3-0 in Game 7.

The series MVP went to outfielder Jim Jackson, likely MVP of the season, who created a lot of scoring opportunities by batting .321/.367/.500 on nine hits. Starter Ken Vaughn also was brilliant, pitching 13 innings and allowing just one run. He delivered seven shutout innings in Game 7.

Awards

Reliever of the Year       RP Jerrod Pickens, Mercury

Rookie of the Year         1B Mike Bond, Mercury

Manager of the Year      MG Alfredo Melcias, Luna

Pitcher of the Year         SP Yoshio Sakai

Most Valuable Player    OF Jim Jackson, Luna

All-Solar Team

C. Matt Bradbury, Venus

1B. Bret Hopson, Mars

2B. Ryan Peterson, Mercury

3B. Rob Beckham, Venus

SS. Zack Dobson, Earth

OF. Luke Tasler, Luna

OF. Miguel Medrano, Mars

UT. Skip Flanagan, Earth

SP. Yoshio Sakai, Mercury

SP. Ricardo Medina, Mars

RP. Jerrod Pickens, Mercury

RoughRiders99’s Notes/Disclaimer

While I was working on posting the 2507 season, @BellaSpurs was able to submit a ballot, so I think we now have enough votes to start moving forward!

I'll work on an announcement post to follow this post (the 2507 season) and then we'll go from there. Thanks again for all of your votes! Truly appreciated. 

8 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Why did I decide to become a Sparrows fan

It also says Venus Belters on the graphic btw

Fuuuu..... thanks buddy! Appreciate you looking out for me. 

By the way, does anybody know how the polls in these thread work? I'd like to start one, but am not sure how exactly it worked? 

y77poAl.jpg

JUPITER STATION, Jupiter – The Solar League is coming to Jupiter!

Commissioner Anders Sjolund announced this morning that the league has granted an expansion franchise to the Jupiter Station that will start playing as its 7th team in the 2509 season.

Jupiter Station was the leading vote-getter by the expansion committee. Jupiter Station received four first-place votes, most of any of the eight candidates.

“I am extremely excited that we are expanding to Jupiter,” Sjolund said. “Jupiter was my number one pick, and I’m glad the committee concurred.”

“Our great station now has a major league franchise,” Jupiter owner Tom Rinker  said. “We’re very dedicated to it. We want this to become Jupiter’s team. Everybody wants to be a fan of us. We promise we’ll bring in a winning team as soon as possible.”

Jupiter plans on releasing the team name and logos after the 2508 season.

Any ideas on the names?

“We haven’t decided on our team names, but we do have a few ideas,” Rinker said.

Rinker said that some of the early favorites include the following names – Kings, Storm, Hurricanes, Cyclones.

The league isn’t done expanding. After whittling down the list from eight candidates to three and awarding a team to Jupiter, just two candidates remain: Lake Armstrong on Luna and Isla Mendez of the Lagrange Islands.

Lake Armstrong has more first place votes, but only four people total voted for it. Isla Mendez had more people voting for them, but doesn’t have any first place votes.

There will be a run-off vote between Lake Armstrong and Isla Mendez during the first half of the 2508 season and the winner will be announced at the midway point of the season, in mid June.

“Both Lake Armstrong and Isla Mendez are very strong candidates for the second expansion team,” Sjolund commented.

Sjolund has made it clear that his preference right now is Isla Mendez, but not by much.

“Gotta tap into the untouched market,” Sjolund said of his preference for Isla Mendez. “Lake Armstrong also is an amazing community and I have no doubt a second team in the area will flourish. It’s a really a 50-50, 55-45 at this point for me right now.”

League officials mentioned that between the two final candidates, whoever that does not get awarded an expansion team will be the early favorites for their next round of expansions. 

Final voting results (total points)

1.    Jupiter Station, Jupiter – 14

2.    Lake Armstrong, Luna – 11

3.    Isla Mendez, Lagrange Islands – 9

4.    Cythera & Cyprus, Venus – 5         

5.    Red Spot Station, Jupiter – 5

6.    Ganymede, Jupiter – 3

7.    Pamoja, Lagrange Island – 1  

8.    Spirit, Mars – 0

RoughRiders99’s Notes/Disclaimer

I'm going to try to set up a poll in this thread for Lake Armstrong and Isla Mendez. After I'm confident there's enough votes, then I'll start moving on. 

I’m down for a isla mendez team, I don’t know about having 2 teams on a moon though. I think that if you’re going to expand, it would be better to put two on a planet with large size and it wouldn’t be so crowded. I will also say that the “one teams success means another ones failure” formula has not worked before, and depending on if the new team is good or not and if Luna stays how they did this year, the new team might not last long

If I had a team in my city and we won a World Series, I wouldn’t want to cheer for a new team that will probably struggle at first (assuming you are doing an expansion draft) just because it’s closer. The only way for them to (logically) get a good amount of fans would be bandwagoners, but they would have to be good for that.

My vote goes to Isla Mendez too...

2 hours ago, TekkogsSteve said:

Just missed voting, shame. Why do L1 and L3 play in the same league when their in the opposite side of earths orbit 

Not sure what you mean by that? The only league the Lagrange Islands have is a minor league. And technology is advanced enough that starships can fly to each other in matter of minutes/hours. 

And looks like Isla Mendez is the favorite so far! I'll let the poll sit until tonight, then I'll start working on the next few posts, due to be released tomorrow or Wednesday. While I'm focusing on designing the expansion teams logos, the season recaps will be coming in a little slowly. Once the expansion teams are all settled in, the season recaps should resume its normal pace. 

Love the White Sox-inspired Luna uniforms. Keep up the awesome work!