RoughRiders99

Solar League Baseball - A Future History: 2538 Season

NlL4XdO.jpg

Hello everybody! Hope all is well with you, and you are enjoying the holiday season.

This is a project that I’ve worked on and (mostly) off during my free time over the last few years. But in the last few months or so, I’ve ramped up my work on this project. With the right combination of tweaking my logos, finding the right settings in OOTP, and being inspired by a few threads on here and on the OOTP forums, I’ve finally reached the point where I feel it is ready to be posted on these wonderful boards in the Sports Fan Fiction section!

My setting takes place in the distant future, around 500 years from now. Humanity has colonized and terraformed the solar system. Around 80 million people live throughout the system.

People get around using faster-than-light (FTL) spaceships, which reduce travel times from years to just days. The fastest way to get from planet to planet (or moon to moon) is to pilot your ship through a massive gate called Wave Gate. You head through a Wave Gate at one end and it shoots you out of the other end at another planet. The trip takes hours instead of days. The closer the planets are, the shorter the trip is. And, of course, further means longer. Each planet and major moon have at least one Wave Gate stationed in their orbit.

In simpler terms, these Wave Gates are “airports” by today’s standards.

The body in outer space is governed by the Space United Nations (SUN). For more information on the SUN, and each of the celestial objects in our solar system, please refer to the infographic below. You may have to click on it several times to enlarge it. 

Spoiler

RKTVyxB.jpg

Okay, I think that’s enough worldbuilding for now! But keep that infographic handy for the future.

I may ask you to refer back to it if we are to start an expansion committee, if this league gets deep enough!

Now, onto the real details you’re waiting for! Solar League Baseball!

For several decades, there was professional baseball being played across various independent leagues scattered throughout the Solar System. The most prominent leagues were on the Moon, Mars, Venus, and the Lagrange Islands.

At one point, each of the league officials decided to come together and form a true major league, in the form of Solar League Baseball. At the start, the league contained six teams from four planets, a moon, and an asteroid. The officials had big plans for SLB, with expansions coming as soon as ten years, and hopefully have up to 20 teams or more in the future. All six SLB teams will have three levels of minor league teams. The Triple-A and Double-A leagues are exclusively on the moon, whereas the short-season A is on the Lagrange Islands. There is also a 64-team college feeder league called the Space Collegiate Athletic Association (SCAA). The colleges range from Mercury all the way to the end at Pluto. I’ll post these teams in a later post.

Here are the six teams that make up the inaugural season!

(In order of inner-most to outer)

Lt3ksoG.jpg 

Mercury Mets

Caloris, Mercury

Caloris Coliseum

E2lCD9s.jpg

Venus Sparrows

Aphrodite, Venus

Statue Field

uoNqhiq.jpg

Earth Astronauts

Houston, Texas, Earth

Astrodome V

ICKDEKD.jpg

Luna Apollos

Lake Armstrong, Luna

Lunardome

VmWDsls.jpg

Mars Warriors

Spirit, Mars

Warrior Stadium

INJXM3X.jpg

Ceres Belters

Asteroid City, Ceres, Asteroid Belt
Asteroid Arena

And now here's the cap logos for each of the six teams.

GF4LQ1W.jpg

I already have the first few seasons simulated and written out, so there should be plenty of content to start with in the next few days!

2530 Teams:

bhK7z6n.jpg

RoughRiders99’s Notes/Disclaimer

Some of these logos were borrowed, modified, or just straight up recolored from various logos I found around the web, so I claim no ownerships on these. For transparency, here are the original logos that I used for the following teams: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars.

The main purpose for this project is to share my fictional space baseball league, and make it look pretty at the same time!

However, that doesn’t mean that as I simulate the years in OOTP that I wouldn’t be making new logos! Because I’ll definitely be making logos for the expansion teams as they come in. I might even make logos for miscellaneous events, such as the championships, drafts, etc. I already have tons of ideas for teams around the solar system. I would need your help in deciding on team names, colors, logo ideas, where to expand next (expansion committee, anybody?), and so on forth. I would be mostly focusing on cap logos and maybe primary logos. I don’t plan on doing uniforms as of now. Maybe in the future I will!

I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have about this. I've done extensive worldbuilding on this project. 

Thanks for reading! Looking forward to interacting with you fine folks!

2500 Season

Standings

1.    Earth Astronauts, 96-53

2.    Mercury Mets, 90-60

3.    Luna Apollos, 72-78

4.    Venus Sparrows, 70-80

5.    Mars Warriors, 62-88

6.    Ceres Belters, 59-91

Season Recap

For several decades, there was professional baseball being played across various independent leagues scattered throughout the Solar System. The most prominent leagues were on the Moon, Mars, Venus, and the Lagrange Islands.

At one point, each of the league officials decided to come together and form Solar League Baseball, made up of six teams from four planets, a moon, and an asteroid. The officials have big plans for SLB, with expansions coming as soon as ten years, and hopefully have up to 20 teams within 30-40 years. 

While their first-ever season was a huge success, it lacked any suspense. The top two teams, the Earth Astronauts and the Mercury Mets, dominated the league by winning 97 and 90 games respectively. All four other teams had a losing record, with the Luna Apollos coming in third place with a record of 72-78.

A star-studded cast led the Astronauts to the season title with at least seven players on the All-Solar team. Leadoff hitter and centerfielder Luke Tasler led the league in batting average with .344, 73 stolen bases, and 10.8 WAR. He also came in second with .423 OBP, .637 SLG, 1.024 OPS and fifth with 35 homers.

The Mets were paced by MVP outfielder Xie-Li Shui, who batted .326, led the league with 47 homers, and drove in 128 runs, good for second in the league. The Mets also had the best catcher in the league in Tony Kuramato,

Despite not leading the team in many categories, third baseman Brian Stuckman was a reliable all-around player for the third-place Luna Apollos. Ace Nate Roberts of the Venus Sparrows guided them to a fourth-place finish with 245 strikeouts at a rate of 11.42 per nine innings. Jeremy Winters was a workhorse for the fifth-place Mars Warriors, leading the league with 218.1 innings pitched. Rounding out the bottom of the league, the Ceres Belters were led by a hotshot 23-year old shortstop Shao-Zu Zhou, who stole 43 bases.

Galactic Series I

82iUb2z.jpg

Logo was inspired by the 2016 World Series logo,

the year my favorite baseball team won the World Series.

In the first ever Galactic Series, the Astronauts defeated the Mets in a best-of-seven series, four games to two.

The Astronauts won the first game in Houston on Earth, followed by the Mets winning the second game to tie the series 1-1.

The series then moved to Caloris, Mercury, where the Astronauts won the third game to gain a 2-1 lead. The Astronauts game within one game to clinch the series by winning Game 4 for a 3-1 lead. However, the Mets took Game 5.

The series then moved back to Earth, where the Astronauts won a nail-biting Game 6 by the score of 10-9, becoming the first-ever Galactic Series champions.

Series MVP Shen Szema stepped up huge in spite of struggling and injured key Astronauts, collecting 11 hits and batting .440. Closer Steve Bennett picked up four separate two-inning saves and allowed no runs at all in eight innings of work.

Awards

Reliever of the Year       Jerrod Pickens, Mercury

Manager of the Year      Solano Palhares, Earth

Pitcher of the Year         Dylan Heuer, Earth

Most Valuable Player    Xie-Li Shui, Mercury

OOTP selected Shui as the MVP, but I thought Tasler deserved it more. But due to the Astronauts’ star-studded team, Shui was probably more valuable to the Mets than Tasler was to the Astronauts.

All-Solar Team

(Highest WAR at each position)

C. Tony Kuramato, Mercury (4.7)

1B. Skip Flanagan, Earth (4.1)

2B. Rob Parrish, Earth (2.9)

3B. Jonny Furman, Earth (6.1)

SS. Zack Dobson, Earth (5.6)

OF. Luke Tasler, Earth (10.8)

OF. Xie-Li Shui, Mercury (8.7)

OF. Julio Roberts, Earth (4.7)

UT. Brian Stuckman, Luna (4.3)

SP. Dylan Heuer, Earth (7.1)

SP. Nate Roberts, Venus (6.4)

RP. Sal Shoji, Luna (2.5)

This is the first of 3-4 seasons that I've already written out! I'm going to be doing seasonal recaps instead of weekly or monthly. I may make a special post from time to time when I have an important news to announce (such as expansions or draft results, etc.) Also, I'm still working on a template for the seasonal recap, including a standings graphic, so bear with me. I appreciate any feedbacks. Thanks! Hope you're enjoying this so far! I'll likely post the next season later tonight or tomorrow. I'll let this one sit for a while and let people catch up before I start moving on! 

I will definitely be following this thread. This looks good.

Neat idea. Nice stuff so far.  I like how you presented the fact that you're borrowing logos but have no intention of passing them off as your own.  It's the template for  how other people on here should present their creative series.  Fun worldbuilding.  At first I thought this might be based in the Expanse universe.   Looking forward to the rest! 

25 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

Neat idea. Nice stuff so far.  I like how you presented the fact that you're borrowing logos but have no intention of passing them off as your own.  It's the template for  how other people on here should present their creative series.  Fun worldbuilding.  At first I thought this might be based in the Expanse universe.   Looking forward to the rest! 

Thanks! And nice mention of the Expanse. It was one of the shows that I was loosely inspired by. It's not in that universe, but I definitely borrowed some concepts from the show. For example, Ceres would still have mostly underground civilization life. The Belters' stadium would be completely indoors underground. Because of how far technology has advanced, the stadium can project real-life environment on the roof and walls. It looks like they're playing outdoors, but they're really indoors. A holo-stadium of some sorts.   

I’ll be following this too. Maybe as time goes on, expansion will hit other planets and cities around Earth. London, New York, Tokyo, Hong Kong. Love that you put Earth’s team in Houston. Good work so far!

Travel is an issue though.

Outstanding original idea on your concept!  I look forward to whats to come.

Hello everybody. Merry Christmas Eve Day to those who celebrate it! Just wanted to let you know that I'll be posting the second season recap at some point today. After that, my activity will be a little slow in the next day or two because of the holidays. I just wanted to give you a heads up! 

2501 Season

CBbjRTJ.jpg

Season Recap

The second season of Solar League Baseball had a similar story from its first season; the top two teams were the Earth Astronauts and the Mercury Mets. Earth seemingly improved with 12 extra wins by winning 108 years. The Mets were fine with 87 wins, good for a seven-game lead over the surprising third-place finishers in the Ceres Belters.

When a star player for the Astronauts get injured, another player step right up to fill his shoes. Despite losing shortstop Zack Dobson and first baseman Skip Flanagan for the season, who were 1-2 in team batting average, third baseman Jonny Furman and catcher Dylan Nulph stepped up with their offensive prowess. Dylan Heuer and Ethan Berger, whose records were 19-5 and 18-1 respectively, headlined the pitching rotation. Their combined ERA was 2.52.   

Xie-li Shui, the MVP of the first-ever SLB season, had nowhere else to go but up. He led the entire league in homers, slugging, OPS, RBIs, and WAR. As a team, the Mets led the league with 197 homers on the season. Shui had 51 homers, while first baseman Michinobu Hirano had 37 and outfielder Bill Mills had 23. As a team, the Mets also led in strikeouts (Nate Roberts led SLB with 252 strikeouts) and bullpen ERA, which propelled them to their second-straight, second-finish place.

With a winning record, the Belters used strong defense and small to pull themselves out of last place. They were right in the pennant chase until September, but the Mets were just too good to pull away. Their future looks bright led by sophomore shortstop Shao-zu Zhou and starters Masali Oda and Jeremy Winters. The Belters also made a splash before the season by picking up a dominant closer in Steve Bennett, who recorded four separate two-inning saves in Galactic Series I (2500). 

Galactic Series II

m455YA5.jpg

In a rematch of the first Galactic Series, the Astronauts defended their 2500 title by defeating the Mets four games to three. The Mets gave the Astronauts quite a scare, as the Mets tied the series at 3-3 after being down 0-3.

The Astronauts cruised to a three-game lead behind Jonny Furman’s power and strong pitching from Dylan Heuer and Ethan Berger. However, the Mets forced a Game 7 by winning the next three games, including a walk-off win in Game 5.

The Astronauts won the final game, 2-1, thanks to timely hitting, including the game-winning RBI by Furman in the eighth inning. Heuer struck out 10 in six strong innings while Rich Padilla threw two scoreless innings in the eighth and ninth inning to clinch the championship.

Furman was the Series MVP, batting .440/.500/.840 (AVG/OBP/SLG) with two homers and five RBIs over 25 at-bats. Last year’s Galactic Series MVP Shen Szema had a nearly identical line to Furman, with two homers and five RBIs while batting .440/.481/.800.  

Awards

Rookie of the Year         Adam Morgensten, Venus

Manager of the Year      Solano Palhares, Earth

Pitcher of the Year         Dylan Heuer, Earth

A lot of repeat winners this year, but I think Xie-Li Shui rightly deserves the MVP this season, as he led the league in pretty much everything.

All-Solar Team (Highest WAR at each position)

C. Dylan Nulph, Earth (5.6)

1B. Michinobu Hirano, Mercury (5.5)

2B. Sam Looby, Luna (2.7)

3B. Jonny Furman, Earth (4.3)

SS. Shao-zu Zhou, Ceres (7.4)

OF. Xie-Li Shui, Mercury (9.4)

OF. Luke Tasler, Earth (9.1)

OF. Phil Moore, Ceres (4.8)

UT. Zack Dobson, Earth (5.6)

SP. Dylan Heuer, Earth (7.2)

SP. Nate Roberts, Mercury (6.7)

RP. Sal Shoji, Luna (2.5)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everybody! See you in a couple days. 

On the text, it says the Belters went 80-70, but on the image, it says the Apollo’s went 80-70. Just thought I’d let you know. 

39 minutes ago, CheeseBurger22 said:

On the text, it says the Belters went 80-70, but on the image, it says the Apollo’s went 80-70. Just thought I’d let you know. 

Whoops. Thanks for the catch! Appreciate it, buddy. 

1 hour ago, RoughRiders99 said:

Whoops. Thanks for the catch! Appreciate it, buddy. 

No problem. Also, love this series so far, I’ll be following it. 

Super Cool series! I'm already a fan of the Belters. following it right away. 

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Cool concept! Will you be designing uniforms as well?

Thanks! As for the uniforms, I have no plans right now on designing the uniforms. I might someday down the road. I do have plans on posting some caps designs right now, but I'm not sure when these will be ready yet. A new post coming soon! 

2502 Season

84WPfzy.jpg

Season Recap

Per usual, the race to the top was between the Earth Astronauts and the Mercury Mets. The Astronauts pulled out on top, but it was the closest gap between the two teams, separated by just three games. It was six games and a commanding 21-game lead for the Astronauts the past two years.

First baseman Skip Flanagan and centerfielder Luke Tasler carried the Astronauts on their backs, putting up a WAR of 6.9 and 8.5 respectively.

It was all about Xie-lu Shui and Michinobu Hirano for the Mets, who both lead the league in homers with 42 and 40 respectively.

Both the Ceres Belters and Luna Apollos were mediocre once again.

The Mars Warriors improved by nine games, led by rookie of the year centerfielder Mike James.

The Venus Sparrows somehow got 20 games worse than last year, as they finished with just 42 wins. As a team, they had the worst OPS and ERA.

Galactic Series III

2RLsV7o.jpg

The Astronauts easily handled the Mets, sweeping them four games to none, for their third straight title.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to catch the game-by-game results, as I simulated a little too far past the no return point.

Awards

Rookie of the Year         Mike James, Mars

Pitcher of the Year         Nate Roberts, Mercury

All-Solar Team

C. Dylan Nulph, Earth

1B. Michinobu Hirano, Mercury

2B. Ryan Peterson, Mercury

3B. Brian Stuckman, Luna

SS. Shao-zu Zhou, Ceres

OF. Phil Moore, Ceres

OF. Luke Tasler, Earth

OF. Xie-li Shui, Mercury

UT. Skip Flanagan, Earth

SP. Nate Roberts, Mercury

SP. Dave Squitieri, Mercury

RP. Jerrod Pickens, Mercury

2503 Season

Standings

tD22f9t.jpg

Season Recap

There is a new regular season champion, and it shouldn’t be any surprise, as the Mercury Mets squeaked past the Earth Astronauts with 106 wins. Behind their power bats, the Mets led the league with 199 homers and a slugging percentage of .459. They also had strong pitching where they lead the league with an ERA of 3.30. To nobody’s surprise, Mets outfielder Xie-Li Shui blasted 43 homers on the season, just 15 away from 200 homers in his career.

The Astronauts were led by their usual star-studded cast in Skip Flanagan, Luke Tasler, and Dylan Nulph, all who finished in the top 5 in WAR.

The Mars Warriors gained 15 wins from last year, which was good for a third-place finish. Their future looks bright, as their top four players all are under the age of 25. If they continue this pace, they could be a legit challenger to the Mets and the Astronauts.

The Luna Apollos and the Ceres Belters continued their mediocrity with a 4th and 5th place finish respectively. They’ll need to figure something out to make some noise in the league, or there will be changes. 

The Venus Sparrows seem to be in a tanking mode, as they’re slowly rebuilding their team through strong drafts.

Galactic Series IV

16AiQpW.jpg

As is what seemingly becoming a tradition, the Astronauts defeated the Mets once again for their fourth title in four years, by winning four games to one despite not having the home-field advantage for the first time.

Same last season, I wasn’t able to catch the game-by-game results, as I simulated a little too far past the no return point. Now I know where to stop simulating to catch the game-by-game results!

Awards

Reliever of the Year       Zhong-shan Mah, Ceres

Rookie of the Year         Dusty Waldrop, Ceres

Pitcher of the Year         Jonathan Namie, Earth

All-Solar Team

C. Dylan Nulph, Earth

1B. Skip Flanagan, Earth

2B. Adam Morgenstern, Venus

3B. Peter Dierauer, Mars

SS. Zack Dobson, Earth

OF. Jesse Hoffman, Mercury

OF. Luke Tasler, Earth

OF. Xie-li Shui, Mercury

UT. Jake Rosenbaum, Mercury

SP. Jonathan Namie, Earth

RP. Zhong-shan Mah, Ceres

Hope all is well with everybody! Like I said, I still have a few seasons already written out ahead of time so I don't fall too fall behind! I do want to ask you fine folks if there's anything else you'd like to see in this world? I plan on maybe posting a team-by-team info post after the 10th season so there's some history to the teams already. I'll also throw in a more completed logo/uniform set (probably not FULL logo/uniform set, but more than what you see already). I'll also be happy to post the league set-up and how the minors/drafts work. 

And finally, when it gets to the 2506ish season, be ready to start chatting about expansions! I plan on adding two teams after the 9th or 10th season, around 2509, 2510. I already have a few ideas on where to expand, but would love to hear your input. I want this league to grow organically! 

Thanks! Happy reading!

P.S. I'll probably post the 2504 season later tonight. 

2504 Season

eDIdsl0.jpg

Season Recap

For the second straight year, the Mercury Mets claimed the regular season title behind the bats of five-time MVP Xie-li Shui and Michinobu Hirano.

The surprising Mars Warriors, led by third baseman Peter Dierauer and recently acquired catcher Dylan Nulph, leapfrogged the Earth Astronauts for a second place finish.

It was the Astronauts’ first time in franchise history where they finished below second place. Despite their high-powered offense, the Astronauts’ pitching couldn’t hold up over a full season for a playoff appearance.

The Ceres Belters and Luna Apollos tied with each other for a fourth-place finish, while the Venus Sparrows placed last for the third straight year. The Sparrows do have a bright future with two straight first overall draft picks in infielder Rob Beckham and outfielder Binya Omoto.

Galactic Series V

lEMboqH.jpg

For the first time ever in Solar League Baseball history, the Earth Astronauts did not have an opportunity to defend their title in the Galactic Series. The Mars Warriors pulled off an upset over the heavily favored Mercury Mets by winning the Galactic Series, four games to one.

In the first game, the Mets looked like they finally had a chance to win their first title, as they cruised to an easy 4-3 win. But the Warriors had something to say about it, as they won the next four games to clinch the series.

Series MVP Miguel Medrano of the Warriors slashed a line of .500/.522/.800 and drove in nine runs on 10 hits. He also hit a go-ahead, game-winning homer in the bottom of the 8th inning in Game 5.  

Awards

Rookie of the Year         Jose Grant, Mars

Manager of the Year      John Arvizo, Mars

Pitcher of the Year         Nate Roberts, Mercury

All-Solar Team

C. Dylan Nulph, Earth

1B. Skip Flanagan, Earth

2B. Ryan Peterson, Mercury

3B. Jonny Furman, Earth

SS. Zack Dobson, Earth

OF. Jesse Hoffman, Mercury

OF. Luke Tasler, Earth

OF. Xie-li Shui, Mercury

UT. Michinobu Hirano, Mercury

SP. Dave Squitieri, Mercury

RP. Jerrod Pickens, Mercury

I probably won't have another season posted for a day or so, so you guys can have some time to catch up a little bit!

As always, feedbacks or suggestions are appreciated. I want to make this thread as easy and enjoyable as I can make it.

I know it can get a little dull with the Astronauts winning everything. 

In the beginnings of a fictional OOTP leagues, the parity isn't always there.

So I promise in the upcoming seasons, there'll be some changes.

Thanks for reading! 

~ RR9

So the Astronauts have finally fallen. Finally, a new winner. Mercury just can’t seem to win.