RoughRiders99

Solar League Baseball - A Future History: 2538 Season

Our home planet is doing really well for the Astronauts! Having 7 titles for the Astronauts is huge! Congrats to the Earth Astronauts on lucky number 7!

Let's go PUA Emperors! You're getting there - a step in the right direction! Hopefully the Emperors have a chance to contend soon.

2526 Preseason

Callisto & Europa Selected For Next Expansion Teams

Happy Sweet Sixteen! Well, not quite yet. Solar League Baseball has announced that there will be two new expansion teams to begin play in the 2528 season. The two new teams will bring the total numbers of team to 16.

SLB has already announced the two locations: Callisto and Europa, two of the Galilean Moons of Jupiter.

“With the popularity rising at an all-time high, and at the right time of our future expansion plans to reach 20 teams, and the advancements the two moons have made lately,” The Commissioner commented. “We knew it’s the perfect time for Callisto and Europa to get their own teams.”

The league have yet to announce their plans about realignment, but rumors out of the SLB headquarters in Lake Armstrong has it that the league will either go with two divisions (four total divisions) with four teams each in two leagues, or keep the current layout right now with just two leagues and no divisions. The Commissioner seems to lean toward the former, but anything can change in the next two years. No word on postseason format yet, though.

Both of the teams already have an owner. Grant Upton, a businessman born in the North Side of Chicago on Earth and moved to Callistopolis, will be the owner of the Callisto team. Toby Warren, an extreme sports enthusiast based out of Europa City on Europa and a huge baseball fan, will be heading the Europa team.

Upton mentioned that he already has an idea for the team branding, logos, and uniforms. He’ll collaborate with his personal advisors and the moon of Calisto for the design itself. In other words, Callisto is not taking suggestions for the team branding. The only hint that he gave the reporters was that the branding would be inspired by his birthplace. 

On the other hand, Warren said that he’s willing to open up his ears to the people of Europa to help him decide on the team brand. He wants something to represent the unique location that Europa is. After decades of terraforming, Europa, a former ice planet, has transformed into a half tropical planet, half mountainous planet.

It’s a haven for extreme sports aficionados and tourism. They can go surfing one day, and snowboarding the next day. You can even just spend the day soaking up some rays on a beach, and go ice-skating later that night under the romantic Jupiterlight (moonlight). It’s as if the moon combined the best of the sunny Hawaiian Islands and the snowy Canadian Rockies into one place.   

“Have it fans!” Warren said. “I’d love to see what ideas you crazy Europans can come up with!”

As of now, the timeline stands at this: Team names unveiling will happen after the 2526 season, then the branding will come after the 2527 season.

Hall of Fame

No player was elected to the Hall of Fame. The top vote getter was Bret Hopson, who received votes from 64.8% of eligible electors. Players require 66% to be elected to the Hall of Fame. 

HOF Classes

2526 – no players inducted

2525 – 1B Skip Flanagan (Earth), C Matt Bradbury (Venus S.)

2524 – RF Josh Macura (Luna), CL Alex Pier (Mercury)

2523 – LF Jim Jackson (Luna)

2522 – RF Miguel Medrano (Mars)

2521 – no players inducted

2520 – SS Zack Dobson (Earth)

2519 – C Dylan Nulph (Mars), SP Dylan Heuer (Earth)

2518 – CF Luke Tasler (Earth)

2517 – RF Xie-li Shui (Mercury), CL Jerrod Pickens (Mercury), 3B Jonny Furman (Earth)

Players are listed with their primary team

Major off-season signings

Above $75 million total

·      1B Jonas Pahl signs with the Earth Astronauts for 7-year, $177.8 million contract.

·      3B Toshikazu Kudo signs with the Earth Astronauts for 7-year, $162.4 million contract.

·      2B Kazuhiro Fujimoto signs with the Mars Warriors for 7-year, $159.8 million contract.

·      SS Ben Mapstone signs with the Earth Astronauts for 5-year, $106 million contract.

·      SP Jake Stoltzfus signs with the Earth Astronauts for 5-year, $134 million contract.

RR99's Notes: Holy moneybags, Astronauts!

Preseason Predictions

As of Opening Day

Astro League

1.    Earth Astronauts

2.    Venus Sparrows

3.    Mercury Mets

4.    Mars Warriors

5.    Luna Apollos

6.    Ceres Belters

7.    Jupiter Kings

Cosmo League

1.    Titan Scorpions

2.    Venus Reign

3.    Ganymede Giants

4.    PUA Emperors

5.    Kenney Rockets

6.    Valles Marineris Canyons

7.    Mendez Islanders

Top 10 Hitters

Position, Name, Team, Total WAR of last 2 seasons

·      1B Ramon Poston, Earth, 21.2

·      2B Rod Wiesman, Earth, 17.2

·      RF Alex Mondragon, Mercury, 12.0

·      CF Yoshiomi Miyagi, Titan, 11.3

·      CF Jerry Wolff, Venus R., 11.1

·      RF Amreet Suruchi, Ganymede, 10.5

·      SS Nate Reppert, Jupiter, 10.3

·      3B Toshikazu Kudo, Earth, 10.2

·      LF Jason Shafer, Ganymede, 9.4

·      1B Jonas Pahl, Earth, 9.3

Top 10 Pitchers

Position, Name, Team, Total WAR of last 2 seasons

·      SP Ziven Prudnikov, Valles Marineris, 11.3

·      SP Mario Reynoso, Venus R., 11.3

·      SP Mario Main, Kennedy, 10.3

·      SP Edgar Burke, Mendez, 9.8

·      SP Elvis Covell, Ganymede, 8.7

·      SP Danny Lozano, Mars, 8.5

·      SP Mike Schneider, Venus S., 8.1

·      SP Juan Joo, Mars, 7.8

·      SP Marty Thomas, Mars, 7.7

·      SP Wil Ramirez, Mercury, 7.6

Spoiler

WAR Chart (for a single season, divide by 2)

Scrub: 0-2 WAR

Role Player: 2-4 WAR

Solid Starter: 4-6 WAR

Good Player: 6-8 WAR (Chris Archer, Jon Lester)

All-Star: 8-10 WAR (Anthony Rizzo, Robinson Cano, Buster Posey, Justin Verlander)

Superstar: 10-12 WAR (Joey Votto, Nolan Arenado, Freddie Freeman, Max Scherzer)

MVP: 12+ WAR (Mike Trout, Kris Bryant, Jose Altuve, Chris Sale, Corey Kluber)

MLB players examples using real-life WAR from 2016-2017 seasons

Top 10 Prospects

Overall ranking, Position, Name, Age, Team

1) SS Chance Larson, 24, Canyons

2) LHP Jorge Bustillos, 22, Astronauts

3) LF Bill Gibson, 23, Apollos

4) 1B Danny Eddins, 22, Sparrows

5) SS Juan Perez, 23, Kings

6) RF Ivan Cuellar, 23, Belters

7) CF Kevin Hill, 23, Canyons

8) RHP Josh Braden, 22, Giants

9) 3B Ivan Tleuj, 23, Rockets

10) RHP Dean Ellenburg, 23, Giants

Minor League System Rankings

1.    Valles Marineris Canyons

2.    Luna Apollos

3.    Ganymede Giants

4.    Venus Sparrows

5.    Mars Warriors

6.    Earth Astronauts

7.    Jupiter Kings

8.    Ceres Belters

9.    Titan Scorpions

10. Kennedy Rockets

11. Venus Reign

12. Mendez Islanders

13. PUA Emperors

14. Mercury Mets

Ooh, new expansion teams. Callisto is easy. Callisto Cubs, anyone?

Europa, on the other hand, is a harder to come up with an idea since it's a moon with two different landscapes in one area... but, something does come to mind for me: Extreme (or Xtreme if you want). The owner is a extreme sports fan. The moon itself is billed as a haven for the extreme sports fan. This is a chance to use colors and themes that are way outside the box here.

6 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Europa, on the other hand, is a harder to come up with an idea since it's a moon with two different landscapes in one area... but, something does to mind for me: Extreme (or Xtreme if you want). The owner is a extreme sports fan. The moon itself is bills as a haven for the extreme sports fan. This is a chance to use colors and themes that are way outside the box here.

I second both nominations.

Callisto Cubs sounds good, however in Greek mythology Callisto was female. If that sort of detail doesn't bother you, then I'd say go with it. 

If you do stick with the Cubs, how about using a brown version of this wordmark for the jersey?

Maybe the Europa Apex, Highest Point of Mountains and Waves, dual-meaning on how they want to be the Apex Predator of the League

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

Europa, on the other hand, is a harder to come up with an idea since it's a moon with two different landscapes in one area... but, something does come to mind for me: Extreme (or Xtreme if you want). The owner is a extreme sports fan. The moon itself is billed as a haven for the extreme sports fan. This is a chance to use colors and themes that are way outside the box here.

39 minutes ago, Darknes said:

Maybe the Europa Apex, Highest Point of Mountains and Waves, dual-meaning on how they want to be the Apex Predator of the League

Sounds like it’s the worst-kept secret that it will be the Callisto Cubs, haha. Good work folks! I was originally going to name them the Bears (what I had for them in my old old OLD Solar Baseball concepts), but the Cubs just seems to work better. The C________o Cubs!

As for Europa, I know it’ll be difficult to come up with some names. I don’t hate Extreme, but it doesn’t catch my attention that well.

Apex seems unique and simple enough, that’s it’s my favorite of the two so far. But I’m not saying yes to it right now.

I’ll still take suggestions for Europa. 

Also, just an FYI, one of the SLB teams will undergo a rebrand in the next year or two. Not saying who! :)

Wonderin what the wildlife is on such planets, what life has evolved to survive etc etc, making up some animals could expand the name pool by a lot. 

Europa (made up predator) could be a cool team name.

If not, maybe Apex, it’s pretty unique

32 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Wonderin what the wildlife is on such planets, what life has evolved to survive etc etc, making up some animals could expand the name pool by a lot. 

Europa (made up predator) could be a cool team name.

If not, maybe Apex, it’s pretty unique

You know what? Despite all of the worldbuildilng I've done on this project, I completely blanked on the wildlife. You bring up a great point! I'd love to be able to name some other teams (future teams) after the wildlife. 

One thing is that I have no idea how to name them, what they would look like, etc. The other thing is that in this world, humanity have yet to meet an alien lifeform. Everything (including the wildlife) were transported from Earth in the early days of colonization. From there, they (including the wildlife) would just evolve on their own into something different than what they normally would look like on Earth. 

If you or anybody else is willing to help me come up with fictional animals, culture, etc for this world, please feel free to do so! Just run it by me and I'll make sure it fits in this world and/or retcon it! 

1 hour ago, RoughRiders99 said:

You know what? Despite all of the worldbuildilng I've done on this project, I completely blanked on the wildlife. You bring up a great point! I'd love to be able to name some other teams (future teams) after the wildlife. 

One thing is that I have no idea how to name them, what they would look like, etc. The other thing is that in this world, humanity have yet to meet an alien lifeform. Everything (including the wildlife) were transported from Earth in the early days of colonization. From there, they (including the wildlife) would just evolve on their own into something different than what they normally would look like on Earth. 

If you or anybody else is willing to help me come up with fictional animals, culture, etc for this world, please feel free to do so! Just run it by me and I'll make sure it fits in this world and/or retcon it! 

Id love to, i love creating this sort of stuff, it’s always very fascinating 

The idea of wild life being transported into these foreign worlds was part of the inspiration of the Scorpions nickname for Titan. Being a desert city, a creature from the desert made sense.

In the case of Europa, there are two very different and distinct landscapes in play: The Hawaiian Islands and the Canadian Rockies. These two landscapes have given birth to two different nicknames: Hammerheads and Rams.

1 hour ago, BellaSpurs said:

Id love to, i love creating this sort of stuff, it’s always very fascinating 

49 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

The idea of wild life being transported into these foreign worlds was part of the inspiration of the Scorpions nickname for Titan. Being a desert city, a creature from the desert made sense.

In the case of Europa, there are two very different and distinct landscapes in play: The Hawaiian Islands and the Canadian Rockies. These two landscapes have given birth to two different nicknames: Hammerheads and Rams.

Excellent. I’ll definitely follow up with you on that. Send me a PM if you’re interested in continuing this discussion. Thanks!! 

@Seadragon76, you just gave me a potential idea. Perhaps we couldn’t exactly find an animal that fits both landscapes, but we could find one somewhere in between. Say.... a mountainous coastal animal? Like the Pacific Northwest? I mean, the PNW technically is between the Canadian Rockies and the Hawaiian Islands, haha. Perhaps something with whales? 

Not saying that I’m voting on the Whales or something as a name, but it’s at least an idea to possibly look further into to. 

Might I suggest Navigators or Wayfinders for Europa, something like explorers who left the Hawaiian Islands and those who've trekked through the Rockies.

For Europa, you could totally go away from the landscape of the planet and go to where the moon originally got its name from. In the story of Europa, the god Zeus is so astounded by her beauty, he turns into a white bull to lure her to him. Bam. Europa Bulls. 

Callisto Cubs sounds nice. 

I sat back and watched the chat for a bit, so nnow I’m going to give my input

Callisto-I’m pretty pretty sure we all knew it would be the cubs. I personally love the name and can’t wait to see the branding

Europa-I am super excited that the wildlife suggestions are in good brought back up. I have wanted to see more wildlife-based teams (especially new wildlife) ever since the first 4-team expansion where I suggested it for the Titan team. I have to agree with that.

Other- people have seemed to skip over the division conversation. I vote to put divisions in, as it would propel rivalries to new levels. It wouldn’t be too hard, and I would be happy to help align it. On a completely different note, I think that it would be a good idea to give the minor league teams individual identities. I don’t think that you should give logos or anything, but simple names would be a great way to make that part of the recap more interesting. Good examples would be for mars. For the warriors a team like the Ares Reds would work well. Simple, catchy, and has a baseball history along with fitting nicely as a team from Mars. A good name for the canyons team would be the Bradbury Rays. A good name that’s a bit different. It went unused and is a perfect name for a minor league team. Many good team suggestions have gone unused and This could also be a nod to some of them.

12 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Sounds like Orcas or Humpbacks might be an idea to look into, @RoughRiders99.

That is a strong possibility. I've been toying with the idea of Seals a little bit too. But that's so Earth-based. Just need to figure out how to make it more... Europa-y. Maybe @BellaSpurscould pitch in on this one. 

12 hours ago, Darknes said:

Might I suggest Navigators or Wayfinders for Europa, something like explorers who left the Hawaiian Islands and those who've trekked through the Rockies.

Oooh, I like that idea. I'll add them to the list. 

11 hours ago, CheeseBurger22 said:

For Europa, you could totally go away from the landscape of the planet and go to where the moon originally got its name from. In the story of Europa, the god Zeus is so astounded by her beauty, he turns into a white bull to lure her to him. Bam. Europa Bulls. 

Callisto Cubs sounds nice. 

The Bulls and the Cubs. The Chicago teams are taking over the Galilean Moons! Somewhat related: The reason why I chose the Cubs for Callisto is because in the mythology of Callisto, she became pregnant and this was eventually discovered by a furious Hera (Juno, wife of her seducer), who transformed her into a bear. But as a Cubs fan myself, I just decided to go with the Cubs. 

8 hours ago, SpartanDesigns said:

I sat back and watched the chat for a bit, so nnow I’m going to give my input

Callisto-I’m pretty pretty sure we all knew it would be the cubs. I personally love the name and can’t wait to see the branding

Europa-I am super excited that the wildlife suggestions are in good brought back up. I have wanted to see more wildlife-based teams (especially new wildlife) ever since the first 4-team expansion where I suggested it for the Titan team. I have to agree with that.

Other- people have seemed to skip over the division conversation. I vote to put divisions in, as it would propel rivalries to new levels. It wouldn’t be too hard, and I would be happy to help align it. On a completely different note, I think that it would be a good idea to give the minor league teams individual identities. I don’t think that you should give logos or anything, but simple names would be a great way to make that part of the recap more interesting. Good examples would be for mars. For the warriors a team like the Ares Reds would work well. Simple, catchy, and has a baseball history along with fitting nicely as a team from Mars. A good name for the canyons team would be the Bradbury Rays. A good name that’s a bit different. It went unused and is a perfect name for a minor league team. Many good team suggestions have gone unused and This could also be a nod to some of them.

Like I said in the earlier post, I'm heavily leaning toward splitting the league up into four divisions so much that it's almost a sure bet I'll be doing it. 

As for the minor league teams, all of the teams already have names, although most of them were just auto-generated by OOTP itself. The only "work" I did was make sure the teams are somewhat nearby their parent team. I also found a folder with 5,000+ logos from the OOTP forums and added it to the game, so all of the minor league teams have a logo and color scheme, albeit being duplicates of real-life teams. But it doesn't bother me as much as it would in the "majors." 

On a separate note, I'm still working on the 2526 season! Not sure when I'll be able to have these posts up, but hopefully by late tonight, or sometimes tomorrow. 

I'll still be around to discuss the Europa name. I have a feeling that despite the possibilities for Europa, it's going to be a hard one to pin it down. 

I honestly like something like humpbacks more than seals, and correct me if I’m wrong, Europa is similar to let’s say Washington and Oregon; mountainous, cool, rainy. Where there’d be a similar environment for whales today. We could either assume since the environment is so similar, they barely adapted, and look very similar. They’d probably couldn’t just be called Europa Humpack, or whatever whale you wanted.

Or we could make it interesting. Since the water probably has different food, they could’ve adapted or genetically modified. To better suit the ecosystem, and food cycle. Depends on how much you want it to change, it could be a carnivore. Think killer whale. Or something entirely new and interesting. Something Europa is known for.

oh and I say genetically modified because 5 hundred years is not close to enough time for drastic changes to occur. Although it is changing of planets, something never done before, ya never know what could happen. If we’re looking at it realistically. 

58 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

we could make it interesting. Since the water probably has different food, they could’ve adapted or genetically modified. To better suit the ecosystem, and food cycle. Depends on how much you want it to change, it could be a carnivore. Think killer whale. Or something entirely new and interesting. Something Europa is known for.

I’m liking this idea