Thrift Store Gems 2018

3 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Definitely a counterfeit, but if you're happy at $10, I'm not gonna rain on your parade.

Go ahead and rain on my parade.  What's wrong?  I assumed as much, as the NOB is too tightly lettered (not pictured), but what do you see here?

It's where I sit.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/15/2018 at 3:01 PM, Gobbi said:

I found what appears to be a team-issued Dolphins practice jersey. 

Can anyone validate this? Or even provide some additional info? I’ve seen photos with the AARP patch on the practice jerseys but does anyone know which years that occurred or who may have been #77 at that time? 

How this jersey ended up in western Canada I have no idea!

9Nsnbje.jpg

TlZ6tsQ.jpg

QQSNMaX.jpg

Also, any idea why there’s a #14 inside?

hbiyxc3.jpg

ybFAntS.jpg

That is awesome!  Billy played for NDSU.  How the heck did that thing make it all the way to your neck of the woods?! HA.  He is still in the league, signed with the Broncos.

51 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Go ahead and rain on my parade.  What's wrong?  I assumed as much, as the NOB is too tightly lettered (not pictured), but what do you see here?

-Green is a touch too dark
-The shoulder and sleeves parts of the jersey should be mesh, not nylon
-The neckline should be ribbed, not nylon

-That gap between the V neck and body of the jersey (right under where the NFL shield should be) shouldn't be there. That vertical stitch in the gap is not always indicative of a fake jersey, but it's common to find on fakes
-The numbers, sleeve logo (and name, I'm going to assume) should be heat pressed, not stitched

-The number font also looks ever-so-slightly off

-The font on the "1992 Randall Cunningham" tag is not even close, that patch should also be slightly smaller than the "NFL Throwbacks" patch, not larger

-I'm not extremely familiar with the Jerome Brown patch, but compared to a legitimate M&N there should be some differences

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

And I think the neck tags just have the size on a separate smaller tag to the right, not the big white tag below, no?

On 5/10/2018 at 2:39 PM, officeglenn said:

Upload your image to a third-party hosting site like Imgur. Copy the URL from that site (it should end in .png, .jpg or another raster file format) and paste it into the reply box. It should automatically embed the image.

Thank you

Dropped by Ross and some thrift stores in attempt to find some cheap Dri-Fit style shirts for my summer job, and was pleasantly surprised with a few jerseys!

Cote D'Ivoire at Ross, $24.99 (also had Czechia, but I didn't like it as much and left it - looks like soccer jerseys are back at Ross, though!)

ivory-coast.jpg

A Germany jersey like this one, $4 at Goodwill

926d8688e6094ff1d3f8e34b5210a59b.jpg

And as I was looking through the shirts, 30 seconds after finding the Germany jersey, I see just the flag on the sleeve of this shirt poking out. Recognizing this as the flag of the Faroe Islands, I got WAY too excited... I'd love to have a soccer jersey of such a random territory.

GFTbFXB.jpg

...instead, it's just a weird t-shirt. With the flags of South Africa, Faroe Islands, US, and UK on the back? As far as I can tell, the first and last flags are made-up. I don't recognize them, and Flag Identifier is coming up empty. Sure got me excited, though!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• 2 weeks later...

5 years ago, while shopping for Christmas trees, I came across this gem buried in a back rack in an adjacent sports store. 

ENdKPFr.jpg

Authentic, pre-1994 Blackhawks sweater with the smaller crest. Chain-stitched details, fight strap, and the tags still on it. No price so the store clerk just ballparked $80. 

Took it into the Blackhawks store on Michigan Avenue and got Denis Savard's name and numbers stitched on. Later got it signed by Savy himself. 

On 6/6/2018 at 4:17 PM, johnnysama said:

I scored a New York Rangers Kevin Stevens jersey for $20.

20180607_1755581_zpsnohlutfd.jpg

20180607_1756081_zpshvxi48l1.jpg

The Kevin Stevens jersey. It's made by Starter, which as I've said in the past, made quality NHL jerseys for the consumer market in the 1990s; the quality was on-par with the on-ice models. :)

UBwef0L.png

Scored a twelve dollar high desert Mavericks hat at a mariners game a week ago, it was in the clearance sale outside the shop. They had some pretry good things if anyone’s interested.

Excellent!

Archived