18 minutes ago, andregunts said:

why is there never a seperate thread for international kits and club kits?

I think there is enough diversity with the 2 for it to happen

Dunno - we have separate threads for the seasons themselves on the "Sports in General" board.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Digby said:

Marquee match in Kansas City tonight, an MLS conference final, and we’ve got SKC wearing black and Portland wearing white. WTF?

SKC wore their black secondary kits at home quite a bit during the regular season, and then again for both of their home games in the playoffs. In recent years they’ve always worn their away kits (or even third kits when they were still allowed) at home a few times a season, but they really seemed to take it up a notch this year with the black kits. I can understand wearing the away kits at home a few times every season, but there’s no way they should be worn at home as frequently as SKC wore their black kits at home this season, and especially not for

home playoff games.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

SKC wore their black secondary kits at home quite a bit during the regular season, and then again for both of their home games in the playoffs. In recent years they’ve always worn their away kits (or even third kits when they were still allowed) at home a few times a season, but they really seemed to take it up a notch this year with the black kits. I can understand wearing the away kits at home a few times every season, but there’s no way they should be worn at home as frequently as SKC wore their black kits at home this season, and especially not for

home playoff games.

Columbus did that a lot this year too. The black kit looks better, but that should never be the primary look for the Crew unless there's an obvious clash issue.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I agree with both of you, though I give Columbus slightly more of a pass as black is at least a prominent piece of their brand. I'm also okay with teams wearing their away kits at home a few times a year during the regular season, only.

I don't get SKC though. Since the rebrand they really pushed the blue as their thing. Calling their stadium "Blue Hell" and everything. Their fans were decked out in the two shades of blue and they didn't match on the field at all! I don't understand the theoretical advantage to doing that; they'll sell the black jerseys either way but I'd think there's more long-term advantage in using a big game like that to establish an iconic brand. (Guess they didn't do that by losing anyway.) But, as much as SKC are the poster children for turning around a struggling MLS team, there's a real... lacking to their brand, like it could blow away in the wind. Dull crest, abstract name, corner print shop typeface...if their colors are a mystery too, what is there then?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Orlando’s only ever gone white at home twice since we joined MLS - one was in 2015 against DC United, and the other was in 2016 against Columbus. In both scenarios, it was 90+ degrees out, and I guess they wanted DC and Columbus to have to sweat it out in black at those temperatures. I’m actually surprised we don’t wear the whites at home more, but I’m perfectly okay with that - I like that we completely own purple in MLS.

In my ideal world, SKC is light blue and navy hoops at home, with a white and rainbow away (as a callback to the Wiz uniforms), so they would have a better reason to wear the aways at home (although still not much of one).

ExJworW.png

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, crashcarson15 said:

This feels like a decent enough place to post the really poor effort Indy Eleven have unveiled for 2019:

ELEXMZ0006_A_grande.jpg?v=1544541898

Ew.  That's... ew.

A contrasting color can add a pleasing grace note to a shirt, but who thought it was a good idea to use a contrasting placket?  Way too much.

Also I miss their checkerboard pattern.  Though that's been gone a while now, hasn't it?

Atletico Paranaense from Brazil decided to go full Juventus in their rebrand:

Old badge:
jwsI19p.jpg

New one:
i3m5DFY.png

And it doesn't stop there, they decided to change their kit style too.

That's how they used to look:
w7UGZZY.jpg

And here is the new style:
6DR9n2p.jpg
6wQ4fgf.jpg
XLV0pIg.jpg
L4aVojv.jpg

Feel sorry for their fans, waiting for the biggest game in club history tomorrow and getting hit by this mess today...

Feels like they had the Juventus rebranding firmly in mind when they were designing those. I actually don’t hate it and Paranaense isn’t that storied of a club so I think they could afford to be bold. It is something pretty unique, and I think for what they were intending to do it was executed very well, the monogram is strong and the stripes create a shield shape. If they wanted to set themselves completely apart from everyone else this was the way to do it. Though I did love the kit with the super narrow stripes they had a few seasons back and thought that could become their established identity

07Giants.pngnyy.png

7 hours ago, OlavoP said:

Feel sorry for their fans, waiting for the biggest game in club history tomorrow and getting hit by this mess today...

I don't know that I'd call it a mess.  The new crest is different, but in a bold and modern way.  The kits are clean and crisp.  Overall, the new identity is far more unique than what they previously had.

Nice work, Paranaense!

19 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

The old badge (specifically the "CAP" mark) was one of my favorites in soccer, actually, so this is a definite downgrade to me. Maybe wouldn't be so bad if I didn't get such an '80s hard rock vibe from the "CAP" text in the new one.

I have no problems with FC Judas Priest.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• 2 weeks later...

Archived