4 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

Sleeve sponsorships need to die.

I mean, I'd be happy if they replaced the front of jersey ads, but as an addition, I agree with you.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, vtgco said:

I mean, I'd be happy if they replaced the front of jersey ads, but as an addition, I agree with you.

I think its the creep thats most upsetting to me.   You know this isn't the end, there will be other spots opened up for more ads.

1 hour ago, seasaltvanilla said:

All jersey ads need to die. This thread is full of kits that would be beautiful if they didn't have a garish sponsor across the front. It's horrific. "The beautiful game" looks ugly as sin.

Uniform advertisement is not only ugly; it is also a cultural crime.

Think of Tom Seaver. In your mind's eye you cannot help but see the word "Mets". Think of George Brett. You will unavoidably see the word "Royals" in your memory.

Now think of David Beckham. What word do you see? "Sharp". "Herbalife".  Think of Thierry Henry.  You see "O2". This is precisely why companies buy advertising on team shirts.  What they are buying is not so much a spot on a shirt as a spot in our memories.  It's a form of pollution.

The only logo that belongs on a team's shirt is that of the team itself.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Arsenal third kit officially unveiled today in Singapore:

arsenal-18-19-third-kit-2.jpg

I don't think any of the mockups had included the chest detail. Arsenal.com says:

Our new shirt features a ‘W’ engineered into the shirt. The ‘W’ represents the attacking part of the famous WM formation introduced in the 1930s by Arsenal legend Herbert Chapman and is directly linked to the ‘M’ graphic from our new away shirt.

My first thought, however, was a Wonder Woman logo.

Also from Arsenal.com:

The shirt comes in a modern green base colour with navy detailing, reminiscent of the 1982/83 ‘Bluebottle’ kit. The accompanying shorts are in the same colours while the socks are also green with four navy hoops circling them.

I would gladly take a giant "FLY EMIRATES" logo at midfield to get them off the shirt.

I dont mind the Puma/Nike/Adidas logos at all, since they actually make the kits.  But the center logos are hideous and ruin most kits.

37 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I would gladly take a giant "FLY EMIRATES" logo at midfield to get them off the shirt.

Yes.  And I would also take commercial breaks in the match — not stoppages in play, just delays of a few minutes in the broadcast.  This would be inconsequential, as anyone watching a game "live" on an app is already watching a broadcast that has of a couple of minutes' worth of delay.

Of course, that revenue goes mainly to the broadcaster; so it is not directly a substitute for the revenue that the team sees from selling space on its uniform.  But some arrangement could be made whereby the revenue from the television commercials would be shared by the teams.

The only real solution would be a league-wide rule prohibiting uniform advertisement. Teams would still figure out ways to make money; and the big clubs would still thrive (as Barcelona did for decades before they abandoned their no-advertising policy).

5 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

I think kits typically look better with an a good sponsor than they do blank.

*ducks for cover*

Agreed. Cardiff City has the most bland kits because their sponsor logo is just a bunch of words in Impact.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

23 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

This illustrates the need to maintain standards, even on little things.  Otherwise even the most terrible thing can become normalised, and can become something that the kiddies who don't know any better will start to like.  Which only leads to ever worsening aesthetics, eventually getting us to disasters such as the Denver Broncos and the Oregon Ducks.

Here is how a football team should look, with nothing detracting from the team's badge:

Related image

Image result for houston dynamo 2018

(...minus the Nike and Adidas logos, of course.)

If the badge is too small, just make it bigger, and/or add front numbers, as the mighty Cosmos did.

Related image Image result for chinaglia sports illustrated Image result for pele cosmos

1 minute ago, crashcarson15 said:

*ducks for cover*

Yup. Agreed.

When I think of a jersey without a sponsor I think of MLS 2006 with all the wordmarks. I really did not like that. 

mls2006.1.gif

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1 hour ago, crashcarson15 said:

*ducks for cover*

I definitely have to agree. I think a good sponsor can really elevate a kits' looks, especially if the kit is just a plain shirt.

1 hour ago, mr.negative15 said:

Yup. Agreed.

When I think of a jersey without a sponsor I think of MLS 2006 with all the wordmarks. I really did not like that. 

mls2006.1.gif

I think of national team kits before this, honestly.

(but I love this graphic— spot the kit sets that weren’t ever worn!)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Will be an unpopular opinion but I kinda dig the Arsenal thirds.  Love that shade of green...and maybe because it’s just a third jersey it doesn’t have to (and fail miserably like the Arsenal home shirt) to live up to a classic look.

arsenal-third-kit_mj83wok417o61bao9tlw3i

National teams use front numbers which helps their cause. I’m not a fan of the plain kits. Nike can do some weirdddddd things there. The teams that have sponsors that are colored to fit the team and are wordmarks and not boxes tend to look nice. 

Arsenals “fly emirates”, Liverpool’s “standard chartered”, and Bayern’s “T-Mobile” come to mind as good ones. 

Napoli’s “Lete”, Norwich “LeoVegas”, Dortmund’s “evonik” all first come to mind for bad ones. 

Napoli would look so good if the red box was removed. Norwich could turn the purple to green and be okay. Dortmund maybe make it black. Not hard fixes and those kits would look alright!

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

55 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

So thankful for a league wide font because Arsenal’s is trrrible.   You can’t read it at all.  Same color as the main jersey but with square tiles of darker 

Yeah, it's pretty terrible, but they're only using that particular font with the pattern for their games in Singapore. 

1 hour ago, officeglenn said:

Yeah, it's pretty terrible, but they're only using that particular font with the pattern for their games in Singapore. 

Ahh ok that’s good to know.  

Today’s match of Arsenal v PSG was almost unwatchable.  Arsenal in their mint thirds and PSG in their cream aways.  No contrast at all.  

Archived