2 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Ahh ok that’s good to know.  

Today’s match of Arsenal v PSG was almost unwatchable.  Arsenal in their mint thirds and PSG in their cream aways.  No contrast at all.  

I don't watch these friendlies, but I did happen across this photo. I like these kits each, in a vacuum, but it is a very odd look. And the really weird thing is, since these friendlies are ostensibly an exercise in global branding, wouldn't you as a club want to wear that look that *is* your brand? I would think that would have more value than however many third kits they sell strictly because they were worn in one random friendly. And we know that Arsenal's red and white and PSG's navy with stripe would have contrasted nicely besides.

DjMTYldXsAA7vfn.jpg:large

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

St. Pauli away and third:

st-pauli-18-19-away-third-kits-2.jpg

Is there a reason UA has a weird striping pattern this year? Is it the template that cuts the stripes off or something else? 

On 7/28/2018 at 11:32 PM, CreamSoda said:

Today’s match of Arsenal v PSG was almost unwatchable.  Arsenal in their mint thirds and PSG in their cream aways.  No contrast at all.  

Perfect example of why we have to have monotone vs montone in world cups. I can see plenty of contrast. This kind of response prevents us from seeing so many pure match ups.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

1 hour ago, Bayne said:

Perfect example of why we have to have monotone vs montone in world cups. I can see plenty of contrast. This kind of response prevents us from seeing so many pure match ups.

Because light mint looks very white vs a cream kit?  

Lol

2 hours ago, WBeltz said:

Is there a reason UA has a weird striping pattern this year? Is it the template that cuts the stripes off or something else? 

St. Pauli has done this with their numbers too. I think UA gives them more control over their look than the other big names would.

On 7/28/2018 at 12:37 PM, Digby said:

I don't watch these friendlies, but I did happen across this photo. I like these kits each, in a vacuum, but it is a very odd look. And the really weird thing is, since these friendlies are ostensibly an exercise in global branding, wouldn't you as a club want to wear that look that *is* your brand? I would think that would have more value than however many third kits they sell strictly because they were worn in one random friendly. And we know that Arsenal's red and white and PSG's navy with stripe would have contrasted nicely besides.

DjMTYldXsAA7vfn.jpg:large

Fortunately Arsenal's numbers are only for that tournament and they'll wear more legible numbers for cup matches.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

20 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

St. Pauli has done this with their numbers too. I think UA gives them more control over their look than the other big names would.

I mean in general, Southampton this year has the same striping pattern that starts below the collar. It's just a strange design/template.southampton-18-19-home-away-kits-2.jpg

On 7/27/2018 at 6:53 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I would also take commercial breaks in the match — not stoppages in play, just delays of a few minutes in the broadcast.  This would be inconsequential, as anyone watching a game "live" on an app is already watching a broadcast that has of a couple of minutes' worth of delay.

No. 

No, no, no, no. 

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

No. 

No, no, no, no. 

And thrice no.

Meanwhile, Sampdoria's home shirt looking as ace as always aside from that flash of white on the collar. I think the banding on the shorts may be a bit OTT, but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the whole kit in action.

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

No. 

No, no, no, no. 

I totally agree.

I think the front & center jersey ads, while annoying, are a fair price to pay to avoid commercial breaks.

Part of the reason I'm such a big soccer fan is that I find watching it on TV rather than going to the game to still be fun, and part of that is the relatively low amount of commercial interruptions.

Also, the diamond pattern on that rightmost Pescara jersey is really beautiful.

21 minutes ago, vtgco said:

I think the front & center jersey ads, while annoying, are a fair price to pay to avoid commercial breaks.

Just as an aside, I don't really think it's developed as a choice between the two. Granted I'm speaking from a British perspective, but shirt sponsorship here became commonplace a number of years before regular live TV coverage began. Although some live league matches had been broadcast since the mid-1980s, shirt sponsorship kicked in during the late 1970s and was more or less ubiquitous by the early 1980s - logos on kits came in before regular live TV coverage, certainly some time ahead of the blanket broadcasts of the Premier League era in the 1990s. Additionally, it should be noted that the main channel for the league highlights show and live FA Cup coverage - even before live league broadcasts became commonplace - has generally been the BBC, which is funded by a licence fee and so doesn't have ad breaks.

Anyway, enough of the ads and back to the show. Some more Italian kits - first, Catania...

N7YQVS6.jpg

And Sassoulo home, away and third...

6X778s8.jpg

FrX7kzt.jpg

W0ZlXsV.jpg

Plus goalkeepers...

SaioQD3.jpg

tvs5ae5.jpg

5 hours ago, Jaffa said:
5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

No. 

No, no, no, no. 

And thrice no.

This categorical rejection makes little sense.  A few ad breaks would give you a chance to pee, while not compromising the flow of the action. 

5 hours ago, vtgco said:

Part of the reason I'm such a big soccer fan is that I find watching it on TV rather than going to the game to still be fun, and part of that is the relatively low amount of commercial interruptions.

We're still talking about a low amount of commercial interruptions, perhaps one or two per half.  There could also be split-screen or picture-in-picture ads.

Any of that is better than marring the uniforms with a logo that dwarfs the team logo, which is a perfectly absurd state of affairs.  I will admit that I tend to care more about sports teams' uniforms than about the teams themselves; so the ugliness of the giant ads in the middle of football shirts is beginning to take its toll on my enjoyment of watching, in the same way that the Nets' generally terrible uniforms have turned me off of watching them.  I actually find that I prefer listening to NYCFC games on the radio to watching them.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This categorical rejection makes little sense.  A few ad breaks would give you a chance to pee, while not compromising the flow of the action. 

Any breaks in the game will fundamentally change the sport and open the door for full commercial breaks. Categorical rejection is the only option.

Don't forget that American football used to be played without TV timeouts.  We can all hold our pee for forty-five minutes. ?

11 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

No, stop americanize football, ok? If you've got problem with urinary incontinence there are medicaments for that.

But there is one thing that I'd like to see in football. Stop time after every time when ball is dead (corners, fouls, throw-in, goal kicks etc). We'll have fully 90 minutes of game and divers will stop doing what they do.

4r2eer.png

Archived