14 hours ago, Digby said:

Yeah, that's what I'm figuring. Pardon the incoming rant, but...

The previous cycle saw the US have *four* kits. Initial white with light blue sleeves, the black away, the red third that effectively replaced the black away, and the striped Gold Cup kit. The latter two of those were hardly even used on the pitch. I guess we should count our blessings that they didn't see fit to give the women a separate kit set anymore. But it's all just too much considering how little national teams play; two kits per two-year cycle is plenty!

And given all the turnover, I think typefaces could hypothetically be a nice area of consistency and branding through the years. It was nice when the US wore the same typeface from 2006 to 2013 or so, even with different styles applied based on Nike's gimmick of the year, it still stood out. But since then we had block numbers then thinner block numbers then those goofy puffy round numbers and now the current one. It's all too much! I know everyone's here to make money but these maneuvers seem more likely to confuse the marketplace than anything else. Ah well.

14 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Changing the crest didn't help either. It doesn't say soccer specifically and has been used by the more obscure Olympic sports as a stand-in for the simple US flag with initials underneath it that those teams usually get now. 

14 hours ago, Digby said:

Oh totally. Feels like the USSF rebrand turned into a "be careful what you wish for" sort of thing. The old one was as bad as everyone says, of course, but the new one's genericness, coupled with the traditional lack of a kit identity being cycled through more quickly than ever ... the program just kind of lost its way identity-wise, and that's before even talking about what's happened on the pitch!

As a Korean-American, I made the decision back in 2000 as a child to support my roots and support Korea Republic instead of the USMNT (on a side note, I was at the Korea-USA 2002 WC match in Daegu and I was under the giant Korean flag, but in the sea of Koreans I did still sing the star bangled banner as a 10 year old haha), so your opinions are more insightful than mine on the US haha. I do agree that 2 kits for National teams are plenty. I don't like third and special kits for national teams since there are on average only 10 matches per year. Of course Nike want to give third kits to "bigger" federations to make more money, but most traditional football nations like France and Brazil will never wear them even if they get one. Part of me is glad that Korea is considered a "smaller" federation and we don't get extra kits, but Nike did make a big change with our black shorts this time, which gained popularity once we beat Germany, but smaller federation also means, less availability worldwide and we don't get new tech either.

I like the US crest but it does indeed look a little too generic olympic style rather than football, I wish they had a good middle ground between current one and the one from before. I do think this cycle is one of the best USA looks though, at least the home kit. Away kit is a little meh but better than many kits that were at the WC.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
On 11/2/2018 at 3:28 PM, Louis said:

Cuba seem to have changed their national team crest.

Before:

267px-Football_Association_of_Cuba.svg.p

After:

HZ0flGO.gif

Apologies for the lack of quality picture. This was dfficult enough to find. The text reads 'Asociación de Fútbol de Cuba'

It seems the above badge is on the blue kit, in addition to the Cuban flag.

XXDKXxx.jpg 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are people thinking the current US kit is what will be used for the woman's world cup?  I know last world cup the woman's team got a special kit just for the world cup (black and neon monstrosity) 

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/the-toe-poke/65/post/3712864/man-uniteds-leopard-print-leads-fifa-19-shirts-that-will-never-be-worn-by-players

Adidas rolling out horrible digital uniforms for it's biggest teams in FIFA 19. Apparently real life versions of these will exist as well.  thank you horrible ripoff black markets. 

1 hour ago, lilgump said:

Are people thinking the current US kit is what will be used for the woman's world cup?  I know last world cup the woman's team got a special kit just for the world cup (black and neon monstrosity) 

I think they'll get their own home kit but still use the aways. That's what happened last time. I also expect the men will have a new "Gold Cup only" uniform as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, lilgump said:

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think they'll get their own home kit but still use the aways. That's what happened last time. I also expect the men will have a new "Gold Cup only" uniform as well. 

The away kit has already leaked: 

usa-2019-womens-world-cup-away-kit-3.jpg

They should be getting a new home kit as well. Other Nike teams like France, Brazil, England, and the Netherlands are all getting new kits for the Women’s World Cup, too.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Interesting that the new away kit looks to match the current home/away.  So when they get a new home kit it most likely won't match.

But then again in the 2015 cup they had the weird white/black kit that didn't go with the blue gradient kit.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Archived