NFL Tweaks (31&32/32 Tennessee Titans & Washington Redhawks)

MJD7

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright I'm gonna post the next two teams so we can finish this up before the Super Bowl:

First up are the Oakland Raiders:

Logos

zq7yujb.png

-No changes.

Uniforms

8QOK12V.png9uzQVjC.pngz4D3koF.png

-The only change I made was a last-minute switch of the number font to match the wordmark.

-Color Rush goes all-black, which is a truly menacing look.

And now the Super Bowl-bound (to my dismay) Eagles:

Logos

uMGZoYQ.png

-I saw the idea of a double midnight green from the Eagles' social media referenced in the NFL Thread a few weeks ago and decided to run with it, so black is gone from the identity. Also, the charcoal is lightened up to a light silver.

-I took the huge shadow off of the "Eagles" wordmarks to bring them more into the modern age.

Uniforms

8ItwFNm.png

A55VVYA.pngZMfrDpz.pngjhuMgd5.png

-I promise I had these finished before @8BW14's concept was published, though the similarities are pretty funny.

-The idea behind this is pretty similar to the way I used the Reds for my concepts. I took advantage of the two shades of green and two shades of "white" for the pants striping.

-The number font is a little crazy I admit, since the points are on the outer edge of the numbers to match the wordmark. This would actually result in 3 different sets of numbers, as opposed to the Vikings' two.

-Silver collar on the home & away, I like how it looks. A silver alternate is also added.

-Color Rush tries the new, darker shade of midnight green out, complete with a matching facemask.

Any comments/criticisms on the last 4 teams or the series as a whole would be awesome.

My Raiders look amazing, disagree with the change to the number font, but it's hard to ruin the Raiders. Still love the silver numbers on white however.

Eagles are a solid concept, but that font makes it the worst you've done since the Ravens red and purple issue. I get your idea behind it, but I just don't think that it works in this case. Maybe instead of the points on the outside to match the wordmark, use the inner cuts similar to the Michigan State font from Nike.

I'm not crazy about the Eagles number font, but it's definitely creative. I like the double green and I think it should be more prominent on the home and away jerseys. I'd go with the dark green cuffs and facemask on both jerseys and helmets, just my $.02. 

Thanks for the plug, by the way.

I weirdly like that Eagles number font. I think the one tweak I'd make to it would be to remove or significantly shave the serifs on the bottom of the "1"s. I have absolutely no logical reason to like the winged numbers. They should offend every sensibility I have about fonts in general but for whatever strange reason I like them. 

22 hours ago, HoopsCoach55 said:

My Raiders look amazing, disagree with the change to the number font, but it's hard to ruin the Raiders. Still love the silver numbers on white however.

Eagles are a solid concept, but that font makes it the worst you've done since the Ravens red and purple issue. I get your idea behind it, but I just don't think that it works in this case. Maybe instead of the points on the outside to match the wordmark, use the inner cuts similar to the Michigan State font from Nike.

Thanks. I knew the number font would be contentious, but I just wanted to try it out. I'd be open to changing it, but I don't want to go back to their old font, or just do a regular block font.

11 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

I'm not crazy about the Eagles number font, but it's definitely creative. I like the double green and I think it should be more prominent on the home and away jerseys. I'd go with the dark green cuffs and facemask on both jerseys and helmets, just my $.02. 

Thanks for the plug, by the way.

Of course, thank you. My only reasoning for using a lot of silver is that it just "brightens up" the midnight green a little bit.

11 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I weirdly like that Eagles number font. I think the one tweak I'd make to it would be to remove or significantly shave the serifs on the bottom of the "1"s. I have absolutely no logical reason to like the winged numbers. They should offend every sensibility I have about fonts in general but for whatever strange reason I like them. 

Yea, I feel I shouldn't like it either... I wanted to go a little out there though. I fixed the "1"s, you were right there was probably too much going on with those.

Here are the next two teams, both with lots of playoff success.

First up to bat, the Pittsburgh Steelers:

Logos

yyTcP9W.png

-No need for changes.

Uniforms

4cONz2q.pngxCYPiYj.png2NMRABA.png2cpw0gM.png

-Only change is to a number font that matches the wordmark well, I actually had to use a Packers font to make this.

-I also added a gray alternate, to fit with the whole steel theme and bring that color in somewhere other than the logo.

-Color Rush stays the same all-black throwback, that look is sweeeet.

And now the San Francisco 49ers:

Logos

I2ka9uJ.png

-The 49ers have some great logos that also don't need changes.

Uniforms

O9qeF4m.pngHbNI19F.pngdwbSRrn.png

-The three stripes make a return, and are moved up on the sleeves so they can actually fit.

-I switched the font to Clarendon to better match the logos.

-One possible gripe with this set is that I could already see is it looks very similar to my Saints, which I'm not really how I should fix, or if I should.

-I'm sort of amazed that, especially with it being called Color Rush, that the 49ers didn't go with gold. Even though it might look gaudy, it's an opportunity I couldn't pass up.

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate the C&C.

On 1/29/2018 at 9:33 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Steelers and Niners are great! I wouldn't have thought of doing the cursive numeral for the Niners but I really like. 

The edit to the Eagles is perfect. I honestly cannot stop looking at those numerals. It's hypnotic. 

Haha thanks!

Anyone else on these last few teams before I post the next two?

On 1/31/2018 at 9:35 PM, HoopsCoach55 said:

Not a fan of the 'Steel' uniform for the Steelers, but otherwise, both teams look great. More superb work

Thank you!

Alright, here are two more teams, this time we've got the Seattle Seahawks:

Logos

Xgo4KIK.png

-Seattle has a solid logo set and color scheme, no need for many changes. I added a silver outline for the primary and helmet logo, to make it look more menacing.

Uniforms

bJCATOl.pngVVVpjTE.png34o1BUa.pngLnXaOfP.png

-I don't really hate the Seahawks' redesign as much as some other people seem to, I just wanted to clean things up a little bit and make them more concise.

-The vertical striping applications use the sort of feather-like striping, while all horizontal striping is based off of the seahawk logo and old jerseys

-Although the primary home is gray pants, I'd still like to see navy monochrome about half the time.

-Alternate goes all wolf gray, though I'd like to see navy/gray/navy on occasion.

-Color Rush embraces the neon green, with gray accents replaced by white for greater contrast.

On to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

Logos

BbW1BFX.png

-Logo-wise, the Bucs most recent update is actually really solid I'd say. The only change I made was to adjust the shade of pewter, and have that replace black to streamline the identity a little bit.

Uniforms

ktnuhXD.jpg

aaILhBw.pngXYsnAoh.pngP2swWih.png

-The uniforms are where the big changes come in. To get the obvious out of the way, the alarm clock numbers are gone, that's literally the opposite of what you'd want for a pirate-themed identity. In their place comes a font which better resembles the wordmark, with a shiny silver line through the middle to resemble a sword. The shape of the pants stripe also resemble this.

-This shiny, reflective silver carries over to the stripes on the collar, sleeves, and pants. It also matches the chrome of the facemask. This striping is inspired by Jesse Alkire's version of the Bucs.

-I kept the oversized helmet logo, as I like the reasoning that it makes the skull and swords the actual logo. Ship logo goes on both sleeves.

-The primary away is pewter/white/pewter, but I'm just showing the white pants here.

-I added a creamsicle orange alternate to call on the popular throwback, and I also think it looks good with pewter.

-The orange "spikes" stay, but I made the shoulders the same color as the jersey.

-Color Rush goes all pewter, as it's a unique look that fits the Bucs well as sort of a "big game" combo.

Thanks to anyone who's been following along.

13 hours ago, bucknut42 said:

I'm not sure how I missed this thread when it first started, but jumping now is as good a time as any! I love the Steelers color rush the best, but I love how you incorporated the old orange into the Bucs. Great work all around.

Thank you so much! I appreciate it.

I'm gonna go ahead and wrap this series up before all the Super Bowl festivities, starting off with the Tennessee Titans!

Logos

jRcWhQT.jpg

-With the Titans likely coming out with a uniform redesign in the coming months, it would be interesting to possibly revisit this design afterwards. For now I dropped the fire logo in place of the Greek shield which has been seen on these Concepts boards and the Titans new mascot. I also embraced the wordmarks seen in their social media graphics.

Uniforms

R4qFen9.jpgguKhL2B.jpgzR4JsWO.jpgviuEhBZ.jpg

-This set is very much inspired by @upperV03, so credit goes to him. Like with the wordmarks, I updated the font to be more bold & modern.

-The shoulder stripe is a very unique element for the Titans, so I wanted to keep the idea but update it with a more Oilers-like stripe.

-I wanted to keep a white helmet for the Titans, but I really like the way the navy alternate looks being light-blue heavy.

-Color Rush drops navy and gives fans the Oilers type look they've been looking for.

And now, to wrap it up, the Washington football team...

Logos

xtJBH4s.jpg

-Yes, I changed the name to Redhawks... it's been argued about plenty on these boards but personally I think the name is long overdue to change.

-Logowise, I don't really mind the current primary, but I switched to Washington's "R" logo to better accomodate with the name. The wordmarks are also changed only in name.

Uniforms

5dIZkCR.jpgLTlIARZ.jpgeaolPVZ.jpg

-This set was heavily inspired by @BrandMooreArt's version of Washington, especially with the wampum helmet logo which is just genius.

-Striping consistency is the name of the game in this one, with the sleeve cuffs, pants, and socks all matching with every combo.

-The number font now matches the wordmark.

-The Color Rush goes all-burgundy, but also embraces the old gold because that's a look I enjoy seeing on occasion.

And that'll do it! Thanks to anyone who followed a long and commented, it really helps me to be able to share with you guys and communicate on how to improve designs. I know I had to go sort of fast through this one, but I wanted to get everything in before the Super Bowl, which I somehow did. If anyone wants to share some comments on some of their favorite teams or what they thought of the series overall, that would be cool! Otherwise, I think I'm gonna be taking a break from designing for a bit, but I'll see you all around!

nQKL8xi.jpg

Archived