NFL Tweaks (31&32/32 Tennessee Titans & Washington Redhawks)

MJD7

Here are the next two teams, the Bengals and the Browns!

First up is Cincinnati:

Logos

kVKkRjL.png

-The tiger head becomes the primary. I've never understood why the Bengals have a letter logo for their name as opposed to their city.

Uniforms

fMRFc6c.png8K1Zjir.pngQKKrSU9.pngEMSoGCc.png

-The Memphis Tigers are basically the better Bengals, so I translated their set to the NFL team. Tiger stripes stay in the sleeve caps and pants stripe.

-I went with Arizona State's font (Florida State's old font) with a drop-shadow because I felt it fit with the wordmark well.

-Orange becomes the primary, it's a color the Bengals can really own in their division. The numbers on the away flip colors as well to a more orange-heavy look. Black pants would not be worn with the away.

-I don't know how they would execute this with the one helmet rule, but the Bengals have to go all out with the white tiger look for Color Rush. It looks so sweet.

Here are the Browns:

Logos

pev5ffA.png

-I actually really like the Browns' updated logo set. Even though having a helmet as the primary is silly, I kept it for this series. The Color Rush is the only jersey that says "Browns". Otherwise all logos (or lack thereof) stay the same.

Uniforms

DjEFTHQ.png

axsR1ZE.pngWDEQwez.pngKEqR9vP.png

-Although there are some unquestionably poor elements of the Browns' 2015 update (namely "Browns" running down the side of the pants), there are also some redeemable qualities in my mind. I kept the sleeve design because I think it's pretty cool & unique, and also kept the large "Cleveland" wordmark on all the jerseys because on a uniform without logos, something needs to stick out a little.

-I kept the reverse shadow, but switched the number font to the one that matches the wordmark font, I felt that fits Cleveland better. I flipped the colors of the home & away numbers to be more readable.

-The primary home & away combos would be with the orange pants, but I'd like to see them switch it up quite often.

-I actually really liked the contrasting stitching, but left it out for this set simply because there wouldn't be many places to put it on the newer template.

-You can't really see it anyway but there wouldn't be any carbon fiber pattern on the helmet stripe.

-The Color Rush is basically a simplified version of the home uniform, fittingly reading "Browns" and only using orange otherwise.

Any comments on the last 4 teams would be great.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

First up is Cincinnati:

Logos

kVKkRjL.png

-The tiger head becomes the primary. I've never understood why the Bengals have a letter logo for their name as opposed to their city.

Uniforms

-The Memphis Tigers are basically the better Bengals, so I translated their set to the NFL team. Tiger stripes stay in the sleeve caps and pants stripe.

-I went with Arizona State's font (Florida State's old font) with a drop-shadow because I felt it fit with the wordmark well.

-Orange becomes the primary, it's a color the Bengals can really own in their division. The numbers on the away flip colors as well to a more orange-heavy look. Black pants would not be worn with the away.

-I don't know how they would execute this with the one helmet rule, but the Bengals have to go all out with the white tiger look for Color Rush. It looks so sweet.

Here are the Browns:

Logos

pev5ffA.png

-I actually really like the Browns' updated logo set. Even though having a helmet as the primary is silly, I kept it for this series. The Color Rush is the only jersey that says "Browns". Otherwise all logos (or lack thereof) stay the same.

Uniforms

5GRQeUB.pngaxsR1ZE.pngWDEQwez.pngKEqR9vP.png

-Although there are some unquestionably poor elements of the Browns' 2015 update (namely "Browns" running down the side of the pants), there are also some redeemable qualities in my mind. I kept the sleeve design because I think it's pretty cool & unique, and also kept the large "Cleveland" wordmark on all the jerseys because on a uniform without logos, something needs to stick out a little.

-I kept the reverse shadow, but switched the number font to the one that matches the wordmark font, I felt that fits Cleveland better. I flipped the colors of the home & away numbers to be more readable.

-The primary home & away combos would be with the orange pants, but I'd like to see them switch it up quite often.

-I actually really liked the contrasting stitching, but left it out for this set simply because there wouldn't be many places to put it on the newer template.

-You can't really see it anyway but there wouldn't be any carbon fiber pattern on the helmet stripe.

-The Color Rush is basically a simplified version of the home uniform, fittingly reading "Browns" and only using orange otherwise.

For the browns color rush, I'd like to see either just a single brown stripe or two brown stripes on the helmet. Trying to do the "no white" thing is spoiled by the white on the helmet IMO. Otherwise these look great

spacer.png

9 hours ago, MJD7 said:

First up is Cincinnati:

Logos

kVKkRjL.png

Uniforms

Here are the Browns:

Logos

pev5ffA.png

Uniforms

In addition to the stupid one-helmet rule, the No Fun League wouldn't allow white numbers on white jerseys - but your Color Rush looks fantastic anyway. Actually, your whole Bengals set is a big-time upgrade. The Browns set is addition by subtraction without the stupid pant wordmarks.

Great looks these last four!

Carolina looks great, not much I would change there.

Chicago, I'd probably match the stripe colors on the orange pants to the orange jersey, but otherwise perfection.

Cincy looks amazing, maybe go orange numbers with white instead on the black jerseys, but the switch to orange dominant looks great! Black numbers on the color rush instead of white, and use a thin orange trim.

Cleveland is what they should have done with the redesign, so much better than what they did. Could still get better, but you fixed the most offensive parts. Agree about removing the white from the helmet on the C.R. uniform.

On 08/01/2018 at 2:08 PM, MJD7 said:

First up is Cincinnati:

Logos

kVKkRjL.png

Uniforms

Here are the Browns:

Logos

pev5ffA.png

Uniforms

Sorry to be a nitpick, but 'Kiser' is spelt incorrectly. It should be 'Kizer'. The Cincinnati set is very bold - I love it, and an idea of using an orange home strip is radical! Cleveland's is good too!

I hate your Browns concept because it’s how the team should look but doesn’t. 

It’s exactly what the Browns should’ve and could’ve done to modernize but didn’t. I resent you for creating the right look they couldn’t. :)

On 1/8/2018 at 7:36 AM, MCM0313 said:

In addition to the stupid one-helmet rule, the No Fun League wouldn't allow white numbers on white jerseys - but your Color Rush looks fantastic anyway. Actually, your whole Bengals set is a big-time upgrade. The Browns set is addition by subtraction without the stupid pant wordmarks.

On 1/9/2018 at 3:56 PM, BJ Sands said:

I hate your Browns concept because it’s how the team should look but doesn’t. 

It’s exactly what the Browns should’ve and could’ve done to modernize but didn’t. I resent you for creating the right look they couldn’t. :)

Haha thank you both very much!

On 1/8/2018 at 12:35 AM, Ciaranowls said:

For the browns color rush, I'd like to see either just a single brown stripe or two brown stripes on the helmet. Trying to do the "no white" thing is spoiled by the white on the helmet IMO. Otherwise these look great

On 1/8/2018 at 8:19 PM, HoopsCoach55 said:

Great looks these last four!

Carolina looks great, not much I would change there.

Chicago, I'd probably match the stripe colors on the orange pants to the orange jersey, but otherwise perfection.

Cincy looks amazing, maybe go orange numbers with white instead on the black jerseys, but the switch to orange dominant looks great! Black numbers on the color rush instead of white, and use a thin orange trim.

Cleveland is what they should have done with the redesign, so much better than what they did. Could still get better, but you fixed the most offensive parts. Agree about removing the white from the helmet on the C.R. uniform.

Thank you both.

I fixed the Bears' pant stripe, good catch.

I think I want to keep the numbers as-is for Cincy, just so they can be more readable (at least on the black jersey). Here is the Color Rush with black numbers though just to see:

PPSJUNn.png

For the Browns, I definitely thought about removing the white stripe, but then I thought that it standing out in this one case is oddly a good thing, since it's their primary logo. Otherwise, I would have for sure.

On 1/9/2018 at 4:18 AM, Goran The Man said:

Sorry to be a nitpick, but 'Kiser' is spelt incorrectly. It should be 'Kizer'. The Cincinnati set is very bold - I love it, and an idea of using an orange home strip is radical! Cleveland's is good too!

Fixed. Surprised I missed that, thank you!

Alright and here are the next two teams, Dallas and Denver!

First up are the Cowboys:

Logos

nwU0xo2.png

-C'mon. The Cowboys are classic.

Uniforms

i2rHkrn.pngvSwVikM.png2CxavKv.png

-Obviously the Cowboys' technical "away" would be their most worn uniform, but still.

-I went with the classic throwback font with a silver outline on the home & away. The stripes follow a similar pattern.

-One of my biggest annoyances in all of sports branding is the Cowboys' multiple blues and silvers. There is now one unified silver (the home version) and one blue (navy).

-The Color Rush is the Cowboys former white-out uniform, but with the silver helmet and socks to accommodate.

And now here are the Broncos:

Logos

aPjMS3Z.png

-Royal (almost sky) blue is back for the Broncos, as a means to better distance themselves from the Bears. Otherwise the logos and wordmarks stay the same.

Uniforms

CXsYmON.pngrw4XNFy.pngiWWHOUZ.pnguuf54el.png

-The Broncos clearly were going for a throwback "Orange Crush" look with their Color Rush, so I didn't bother to go against that. The primary set pretty much follows that template to a tee, except with the modern logos and wordmarks, which have become a staple aspect of the Broncos' brand.

-The set is predominantly orange-focused, with orange pants being added as an away option.

-The Color Rush is based on the original orange and blue set, which many concepts have emulated. I originally had this planned as the basis for the main set, but I didn't think it worked as well with the away and alternate sets.

I'd love to hear what you guys think about the series so far!

14 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Haha thank you both very much!

Thank you both.

I fixed the Bears' pant stripe, good catch.

I think I want to keep the numbers as-is for Cincy, just so they can be more readable (at least on the black jersey). Here is the Color Rush with black numbers though just to see:

PPSJUNn.png

For the Browns, I definitely thought about removing the white stripe, but then I thought that it standing out in this one case is oddly a good thing, since it's their primary logo. Otherwise, I would have for sure.

Fixed. Surprised I missed that, thank you!

Alright and here are the next two teams, Dallas and Denver!

First up are the Cowboys:

Logos

nwU0xo2.png

-C'mon. The Cowboys are classic.

Uniforms

i2rHkrn.pngvSwVikM.png2CxavKv.png

-Obviously the Cowboys' technical "away" would be their most worn uniform, but still.

-I went with the classic throwback font with a silver outline on the home & away. The stripes follow a similar pattern.

-One of my biggest annoyances in all of sports branding is the Cowboys' multiple blues and silvers. There is now one unified silver (the home version) and one blue (navy).

-The Color Rush is the Cowboys former white-out uniform, but with the silver helmet and socks to accommodate.

And now here are the Broncos:

Logos

aPjMS3Z.png

-Royal (almost sky) blue is back for the Broncos, as a means to better distance themselves from the Bears. Otherwise the logos and wordmarks stay the same.

Uniforms

CXsYmON.pngrw4XNFy.pngiWWHOUZ.pnguuf54el.png

-The Broncos clearly were going for a throwback "Orange Crush" look with their Color Rush, so I didn't bother to go against that. The primary set pretty much follows that template to a tee, except with the modern logos and wordmarks, which have become a staple aspect of the Broncos' brand.

-The set is predominantly orange-focused, with orange pants being added as an away option.

-The Color Rush is based on the original orange and blue set, which many concepts have emulated. I originally had this planned as the basis for the main set, but I didn't think it worked as well with the away and alternate sets.

I'd love to hear what you guys think about the series so far!

Bringing back the Broncos' old color scheme is an awesome idea. It looks great.

The update to the Cincy Color Rush: Perfection, especially considering the orange helmet!

Dallas: The team is garbage, but at least they'll look like America's Team with your update!

Denver: Love the concept, maybe thicken the outline on the numbers? And I wonder how an Orange facemask would look?

On 1/10/2018 at 10:57 PM, CheeseBurger22 said:

Oh, Denver’s color scheme is beautiful. I like what you’re doing here. Keep up the good work. 

On 1/11/2018 at 11:35 AM, MCM0313 said:

Bringing back the Broncos' old color scheme is an awesome idea. It looks great.

Thank you both very much!

On 1/11/2018 at 2:27 PM, DENCLEMTLCLEOSU said:

I’m a Broncos fan and I think your should change back to the regular color scheme and maybe block numbers

I like the orange and navy a lot too, but I wanted to differentiate from the Bears, as well as other block-numbered teams by keeping the current font.

On 1/12/2018 at 12:12 PM, HoopsCoach55 said:

The update to the Cincy Color Rush: Perfection, especially considering the orange helmet!

Dallas: The team is garbage, but at least they'll look like America's Team with your update!

Denver: Love the concept, maybe thicken the outline on the numbers? And I wonder how an Orange facemask would look?

Thank you! Thickening the outline didn't do much for me, I think an orange facemask might be too much, though.

Sorry for a bit of delay, but here are the next two teams of the series, two that occupy the NFC North.

First being the Detroit Lions!

Logos

Sp73fwb.png

-I love the recent update the Lions had in returning to just Honolulu blue and silver. So I kept the primary and helmet logos the same, and also kept the "Lions" wordmark on the sleeves because I have the unpopular opinion that it's unique without going too overboard.

Uniforms

ZBA0L9P.pngzvTqXnh.pngXjMvauO.png

-The uniforms stay largely the same. I couldn't find a file on the number font since it's so new, which caused me to try to create numbers from the new wordmark, which I actually like better.

-One notable absence is that of the darker gray, which is replaced by a white outline on the home, and the away and Color Rush replace it with the lighter silver.

-I like the return of blue pants on the road, but silver pants are still the primary away, with the blue pants being worn maybe 2-3 times a year.

-I debated possibly making the Color Rush numbers blue, let me know if I should do that.

Next up are the Green Bay Packers!

Logos

FUpOo6C.png

-The Packers' classic logos stay the same. The kelly green elements are part of the Color Rush, as you'll see:

Uniforms

ftsU3lE.png3tDHLG7.png1Y8exCs.png

-As much as I'm not a fan of the cheeseheads, their uniforms are among the best in football, and don't need to be changed much. One little tweak I made though was unifying the helmet, jersey and pants stripes more, specifically by making the green stripes thinner on the helmet & pants.

-The Color Rush is based heavily off of the 1950's all-green set, which allows the Packers to try something new while remaining rooted in tradition.

That's what I've got, any C+C would be appreciated as always!

Detroit: Looking great, I agree that you should make the CR numbers blue edged in white, but otherwise, it's about perfect.

Green Bay: Another team I can't stand, but perfection in the design. Maybe add a white pants option for the away? The CR unis aren't the best with the helmet style, but for what it's meant to be, it works.

On 1/14/2018 at 5:53 PM, HoopsCoach55 said:

Detroit: Looking great, I agree that you should make the CR numbers blue edged in white, but otherwise, it's about perfect.

Green Bay: Another team I can't stand, but perfection in the design. Maybe add a white pants option for the away? The CR unis aren't the best with the helmet style, but for what it's meant to be, it works.

Thank you. Here is a look at Detroit with blue numbers:

aoq9xBY.png

And I'm gonna go ahead and post the next two teams since I have the time, both coming from the AFC South this time around:

Here are the Houston Texans!

Logos

mdjEXM7.png

-Logo wise, not much changes. I brightened up the red a bit to stand in stark contrast to the navy.

Uniforms

dwEbmcE.pngxrFbdKS.pngvp9tNWy.pngHU1NNTl.png

-I was left totally unsure of what to do with the Texans. I struggled for a while because they really have possibly the least amount of imagery to work with in all of sports. Ultimately, I decided not to change very much.

-I experimented with every color of helmet for the Texans, I think bright red could've especially been cool. I ultimately just stuck with navy for this series.

-I did, however, make red the primary home jersey to sort of be an opposition to the Cowboys. Red pants are also the primary away option.

-Overall, one element I tried to incorporate to make the Texans unique is a sort of "color blocking," that is make every uniform element a different color, inspired by the Texas flag. This is impossible to do with the navy alternate matching the helmet, but for that look white or red pants would be the most common options.

-I reversed the coloring of the numbers on every jersey to better match the primary logo. I originally had the numbers without an outline, but it looked a little too simple. The stripes on the away are also now red, to be more striking than simple navy.

-The Color Rush is an unabashed Texas pride uniform, with the star occupying the sleeves and the white-over-red striping seen everywhere throughout the set, even on the numbers.

Now here are the Colts!

Logos

H5hI6vE.png

-No changes for the Colts.

Uniforms

s43HjuT.pngRaxaleQ.pngSO7crw6.png

-The only changes for the Colts are the removal of the gray facemask in favor of white, and the return of the "throwback" numbers much like the Cowboys.

-A blue facemask is added to complete the Color Rush uniform.

Any comments on the last four teams (or even the series in general) would be amazing!

On 1/15/2018 at 10:24 PM, HoopsCoach55 said:

Detroit looks a lot better with the blue numbers.

Houston looks great, but I think the navy pants should be the Away option, and the Red should be the Alt option.

Indy is perfect, 100% perfection.

Thank you. 

Here are the next two teams, first up being the AFC South-winning Jacksonville Jaguars:

Logos

MiJqxhE.png

-I simplified to one standard shade of gold for the logo.

-I kept the shield crest, although I don't like that it says "Jags" overall I don't mind it very much.

Uniforms

sAlWPwb.png32ECVVv.pngZuB4QjQ.pngZG3nQUs.png

-I made the typical changes to the Jaguars set, I removed the horrid half-and-half helmet in favor of the wonderful old teal flake version, but kept the current number font with only a modification of the "2". I removed the sleeve caps and shoulder pattern, but kept the sharp points on the collar.

-Overall this set is very much inspired by Jesse Alkire's version of the Jaguars, so credit goes to him. Since jaguars have spots instead of stripes, I transferred spots from the primary logo into the uniform, creating a sort of gradient fade from the pants to the socks, kind of like the helmet.

-Teal returns to be the primary home, and the black-out alternate has teal numbers to look more like a sharp, primetime uniform.

-The Color Rush stays gold to look like a real jaguar, but the adjusted shade I'm using hopefully wouldn't look as gaudy and mustard-like. The numbers are switched to black.

On to the Chiefs:

Logos

FWgJLDk.png

-I removed black from the logos, as I didn't really like the way it fit.

Uniforms

D2XnrCd.pngY1TRLYY.pngVdhJpB3.png

-This set is heavily inspired by @bkknight95's version of the Chiefs, with the striping pattern fitting well with the Arrowhead logo.

-The number font is the Houston Astros old font, because I thought it fit well.

-Color Rush goes all-red.

I know I haven't been getting very many comments lately, but since I'm at the halfway point now I'd really love to hear what you all think about all the teams in the series so far! Thanks to anyone who has been following along.

Chiefs look amazing, if you're going to tweak them, that's the way to do it, but I think a basic block font might be better.

Jags on the other hand..... The helmet is perfect, but I think there is too much influence from black in the overall set. I'd go back to the old white-gold-black numbers on teal, and use white pants. The road whites and alt blacks look good, but I'm not sure about the teal spots on black that you are using. Color rush set is perfect for the Jags, but I think switching the teal and black in the numbers might work better. I like the look of the jag spot panels from the color rush jerseys and think that it might look good on the teal and black jerseys

This series has been good. I have a few tweaks for most teams but I like the mindset behind these redesigns. 

Cardinals: Perfect, no changes.

Falcons: The squared numbers seem a little wonky to my eyes and I'd like black over white for the home set but I like the design. 

Bills: Solid! No changes

Ravens: I'd make purple over white and white over purple as options but I really like the use of red and the sublimated sleeve design.

Panthers: The claw marks work on the sleeves and the pants but somehow three marks seems a little much on the helmet. 

Bears: As a Bear fan I need that GSH back but I really like switching the white and orange stripes on the navy pants.

Bengals: I'd prefer black over white as the primary but I really like the way the tiger stripes have been thinned out. 

Browns: I really don't like the "chip" on the jersey stripes. I'd say either cut off the stripes at the usual place or have them go all the way to the collar. If the stripes do go to the collar, you'll probably have to ditch the wordmark to clear up clutter.

Dallas: Perfect! 

Broncos: Perfect!

Texans: Love that color rush design! 

Colts: Just needs numbers on the back of the helmet to match the jerseys.

Jaguars: Very interesting. Reminiscent of the old Oregon diamond plate look. I'd consider doing a spots design in the bottom corner of the helmet too. 

Chiefs: I really like the striping but I don't like the number font. It just doesn't work for me. 

Great job so far!!

I really like the Chiefs helmet...the black rather than yellow is the only flaw in their uniform set.  I'd rather the rest stay the same.

Other random thoughts:   Both the Browns and Packers color rush are great.  Particularly, Green Bay; that helmet really works for the whole color rush initiative.  Cincinnati is definitely an improvement (but they'll never top their first tiger-stripe look)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 1/18/2018 at 10:45 PM, HoopsCoach55 said:

Chiefs look amazing, if you're going to tweak them, that's the way to do it, but I think a basic block font might be better.

Jags on the other hand..... The helmet is perfect, but I think there is too much influence from black in the overall set. I'd go back to the old white-gold-black numbers on teal, and use white pants. The road whites and alt blacks look good, but I'm not sure about the teal spots on black that you are using. Color rush set is perfect for the Jags, but I think switching the teal and black in the numbers might work better. I like the look of the jag spot panels from the color rush jerseys and think that it might look good on the teal and black jerseys

Thanks! I know this is probably unpopular, but I've never been a fan of the white numbers on any jersey for the Jags... maybe gold would work well? Teal numbers didn't work out great on the Color Rush though, in my opinion.

VB2oZLC.pngvsYAC9b.png

On 1/19/2018 at 10:25 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

This series has been good. I have a few tweaks for most teams but I like the mindset behind these redesigns. 

Great job so far!!

Thank you so much for all the C&C! I really appreciate it. Most of our differences it seems come down to personal taste. I updated the Colts above though, and I might update the Panthers and Bears when I get a chance. Here is a look at spots on the helmet, I must admit I personally don't think it works:

iY00WdB.png

20 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I really like the Chiefs helmet...the black rather than yellow is the only flaw in their uniform set.  I'd rather the rest stay the same.

Other random thoughts:   Both the Browns and Packers color rush are great.  Particularly, Green Bay; that helmet really works for the whole color rush initiative.  Cincinnati is definitely an improvement (but they'll never top their first tiger-stripe look)

Thank you so much!

And since it was pretty unanimous that at least the Chiefs' numbers didn't work, I reverted them back to the block set.

s78RPkN.pngFaNzFI6.pngdw2AiU9.png

Thanks again for the C&C, I can have the two Los Angeles teams up later today after possibly a few more comments.

Archived