NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/11/2018 at 1:32 PM, bowld said:

Dont really see any changes here for the Phins. Logo and colors look same to me...

miami-dolphins-2018-draft-cap.jpg&ff_2646470_full.jpg&w=340

I realize this is probably because the new logo is so small, but the white area in the middle of the body is a lot bigger. Look at the size/shape of the white area in front of the big pectoral fin. If they are minimizing navy like we all hope/assume, it would make sense to tweak some navy out of the logo. BUT it's probably just because embroidery can get weird at small sizes.

Edit: I actually like the dolphin the "new" way. It makes it look faster?

NFL Banning 10 Helmets for 2018

Looks like the new Vicis helmets performed the best. I'm glad they were able to improve the facemask designs. The first originals looked horrible. Hopefully more players will start wearing them.

Interesting that the helmet used as the Browns logo will no longer be allowed. Probably why it's not a good idea to have equipment as your logo.

6 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Looks like the new Vicis helmets performed the best. I'm glad they were able to improve the facemask designs. The first originals looked horrible. Hopefully more players will start wearing them.

Interesting that the helmet used as the Browns logo will no longer be allowed. Probably why it's not a good idea to have equipment as your logo.

I wonder if Riddell will continue making those as their 'go to' style for minis for this reason - it's the Browns ', and it is the style that many fans consider "a helmet" because it is minis, pennants, graphics and the like.

It's where I sit.

6 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I wonder if Riddell will continue making those as their 'go to' style for minis for this reason - it's the Browns ', and it is the style that many fans consider "a helmet" because it is minis, pennants, graphics and the like.

I feel like they've been switching over to Speed minis the past few years. 

At the NFL Shop you can buy both, but it seems like there's more Speeds.

31 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Tom Brady has worn the VSR-4 forever (though he has tested other helmets). I'm guessing he goes with a Vicis or a Speed/Speed Flex

Edit: Nevermind, prohibited list is just for new players and players who didn't wear those helmets in 2017. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Tom Brady has worn the VSR-4 forever (though he has tested other helmets). I'm guessing he goes with a Vicis or a Speed/Speed Flex

There was that 2-game span in 2012 in which he wore a Revo Speed helmet. After a loss at Seattle and a close home win over the Jets, he switched back to the VSR-4 and has been with it ever since. 

24 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

I feel like they've been switching over to Speed minis the past few years. 

At the NFL Shop you can buy both, but it seems like there's more Speeds.

Last year's pocket helmets switched over to the Speeds as well

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

56 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

There was that 2-game span in 2012 in which he wore a Revo Speed helmet. After a loss at Seattle and a close home win over the Jets, he switched back to the VSR-4 and has been with it ever since. 

It's weird that players would put superstitions ahead of safety. Especially after all we've learned about concussions and brain injuries.

Has any other player mentioned a reluctance to switch to the newer helmets? I've never played football, but all my friends that did always raved about how much more comfortable the revolution helmets were. I'd assume all the newer ones would be the same and fit better on the players.

3 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

It's weird that players would put superstitions ahead of safety. Especially after all we've learned about concussions and brain injuries.

Maybe they don’t believe the nonsense put out by helmet companies either. The myth of the “safe helmet” is as old as plastic shells. 

Besides, if they were really concerned about CTE, they wouldn’t still be playing. Denial is a hell of a drug. 

5 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Has any other player mentioned a reluctance to switch to the newer helmets? I've never played football, but all my friends that did always raved about how much more comfortable the revolution helmets were. I'd assume all the newer ones would be the same and fit better on the players.

I wore a revo and high school and it was much more comfortable. Just putting it on was an improvement. Instead of having to pull the helmet open at the earflaps, you can just slide it on bc the jaw pads are more wedge like vs the old school U shaped ones. (Granted i have big ears so this was a big deal for me).

Our school didn't get Speeds until after i graduated but those look even more comfortable. 

This is the item description for an "authentic" Dolphins VSR4 that Riddell is selling. (Emphasis is mine)

"The ultimate football helmet collectible! The on-field helmet worn by players for over 25 years and still going strong. Polycarbonate size large shell, steel, polyvinyl coated Z2B (running back / quarterback) facemask. 4-pt. chinstrap. Official team colors and decals. The autograph helmet of choice for over 15 years. Not to be used for play. Approx. 10" tall.Item # 8004724"

THIS IS THE REAL DEAL!! THE SAME THING YOUR FAVORITE PLAYERS WEAR!!! btw, you totally can't use this for actually playing football. :lol:

http://www.riddell.com/miami-dolphins-vsr4-authentic-helmet.html

11 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

I wore revolutions in jr high and revo speeds for my first three years of high school and i’d say they were about the same level of comfort. the big difference was my senior year when we got new speed flex helmets. it honestly felt like a pillow on my head. no idea why a superstition would go above safety and comfort

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Besides, if they were really concerned about CTE, they wouldn’t still be playing. Denial is a hell of a drug. 

I think there's a fair amount of middle ground between “I play sports” and “I don't care about my brain.” A football player who, say, takes ginko & megadoses fish oils every night is more concerned about CTE than one who does not.

I’m just saying that it’s not surprising football players aren’t letting fear of CTE make them ditch helmets that they like.  Because CTE comes not from the helmet, but the very sport itself.

Nobody who is seriously worried about CTE can play the game.  The danger is inherent.   Attempts to mitigate - new fancy helmets or your herbal supplements - amount to little more than band-aids. 

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Attempts to mitigate - new fancy helmets or your herbal supplements - amount to little more than band-aids. 

Post-TBI:

synapses.jpg

In my opinion, mega-dosing Omega 3's post-TBI is the single most important, low-risk high-reward, clinically-researched treatment most people don't use - even at the pro level, unfortunately. Further testing needs to be done on sub-concussive impacts, but common sense says the same building blocks will help with lesser brain injuries.

All helmets are band-aids, I guess. Ingesting nutrients proven to help your body heal couldn't be further from a band-aid. Its like comparing whey protein to a compression sleeve as tools for muscle recovery.

Archived