NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

Any and all predictions/feedback welcome.

I have heard where the Titans are planning a slight rebrand. What are some other trends we can expect in the fall? Will #ColorRush still be a part of most Thursday night games? What changes introduced in 2017 will carry over (eg--the Saints wearing black jerseys all the time at home, the Chargers wearing navy pants at home and white on the road)? Will the Cowboys wear their often-jinxed blue jerseys more than once at home? I'm looking forward to everyone's input.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many games will teams be allowed to wear parts of their Color Rush Uniforms? 

Dallas wearing the white pants vs Giants... Id love to se the white become their Primary with the Blue Jersey, and the Blue Jersey is still garbage. Go back to the 90's Star shoulders... make them Silver, so it matches. And do away with the asinine 1 helmet rule!

Dear NFL,

Step 1: Get rid the one-helmet rule.

Step 2: Get rid of mandatory Color Rush games on Thursday nights.

Step 3: Let the Rams wear their throwback uniforms full-time so we don't have to suffer through their current mismatched combo anymore. 

Step 4: For the love of all that is holy, get on the phone and make Nike fix the green on the Jets' uniforms. 

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Everyone

God please, I hope the Jets fix their green already. I can’t beleive they’ve been playing with the wrong shade of green for this long.

You know your jersey color is bad when your social media team has to always mess with the filters to make the green pop out more. I’d like to think it’s a sign of things to come but knowing the Jets, they’ll probably do nothing. 

XM4KeeA.png

5 hours ago, tigerraven said:

How about the NFL allows alternate helmets in 2018?  That would make sense.

I’d allow it for throwback uniforms only. So teams like the Patriots, Broncos, Eagles, Redskins, Bucs, etc. can wear legit throwbacks. But I don’t want to see teams designing random alternate helmets like college teams do.

8 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

Then why not change it to the two-helmet rule? One regular and one alternate/throwback. 

the merits or lack thereof of the helmet rule are a whole other type of discussion.  The bottom line is it's part of the rules within which teams need to abide by, so it's not relevant to this discussion unless and until it's changed, and last season, changing it had so little support that the Eagles withdrew their proposal even though they'd stand to be one of the teams that benefits the most from changing it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I happen to like the one-helmet rule. It's a "first line of defense" against CFB-style craziness.

Yes it is.  But unfortunately, it's also the NFL's second line of defense.

And third line of defense.

And last line of defense.

39 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yes it is.  But unfortunately, it's also the NFL's second line of defense.

And third line of defense.

And last line of defense.

Sadly, that is all true. The head injury part of the game really limits my ability to engage with the sport.

The one-helmet rule is ostensibly a safety measure.  However, this idea can be debunked by the simple fact that the CFL, which has never had such a rule, is safer.  (While almost every brain of deceased NFL players shows signs of chronic traumatic encephalopathy, the brains of deceased CFL players have so far shown this disease with much less frequency.)

The one-helmet rule is a charade that allows the NFL to fraudulently claim the existence of a safety regulation.  This policy's interference with the proper implementation of throwback uniforms is just a side consequence of the league's big lie.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

9 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

the simple fact that the CFL, which has never had such a rule, is safer.  (While almost every brain of deceased NFL players shows signs of chronic traumatic encephalopathy, the brains of deceased CFL players have so far shown this disease with much less frequency.)

Source?  Are CFL players being checked for concussions the same way NFL players are?  Are their brains being examined at the same rate?  Also, CFL players are smaller and slower, which might be a reason that their injury rates are lower - if in fact they are lower, which is something I'd need to see some evidence of to believe.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

25 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:
35 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

the simple fact that the CFL, which has never had such a rule, is safer.  (While almost every brain of deceased NFL players shows signs of chronic traumatic encephalopathy, the brains of deceased CFL players have so far shown this disease with much less frequency.)

Source?  Are CFL players being checked for concussions the same way NFL players are?  Are their brains being examined at the same rate?  Also, CFL players are smaller and slower, which might be a reason that their injury rates are lower - if in fact they are lower, which is something I'd need to see some evidence of to believe.

In this ESPN article from five years ago, it is stated that Dr. Robert Cantu found CTE in only half of the brains of CFL players that he examined, as opposed to 85% of brains of NFL players.  The article notes the small sample size (only six brains of CFL players).  Still, the difference is striking.

The probable reason for the CFL version's lesser toll on players' brains is in the rules, especially the one-yard gap between the offensive and defensive lines at the line of scrimmage.  Also, the CFL has outlawed full-contact practices with pads, thereby dramatically lessening the occasions of the sub-concussive blows that can accumulate to cause CTE.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived