NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, daveindc said:

My point still stands regardless of the pointless semantics.

It’s not “pointless semantics” just because you didn’t understand what others were talking about. 

29 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Sorry I don't use image search algorithms as a basis to construct proper written and verbal communication. Just because the masses have chosen to adopt improper terminology does not make it so. 

Language is always changing and evolving.

The term “yoga pants” means something different now. You complaining about it won’t change the popular meaning of the term. 

51 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Sorry I don't use image search algorithms as a basis to construct proper written and verbal communication. Just because the masses have chosen to adopt improper terminology does not make it so. 

Actually that's pretty much how language works. I'm afraid you don't get to limit people's vernacular just because you want to stick to textbook definitions that no one is beholden to colloquially (let alone on a casual forum about sports uniforms).

Anyway, I thought the "leotard" look was usually reserved for monochrome including the socks, but I'm sure it's be used interchangeably (even if inaccurately) with the aforementioned "yoga pants" look.

And BTW, the yoga pants look (matching socks with stripeless pants) is :censored:ing awful and I hate it. In fact, I hate the vast majority of stripeless football pants.

6 hours ago, daveindc said:

Image result for stanford football

Related imageRelated imageRelated image

I removed the pics of Michigan and Florida State... but every other team pictured here would look immensely better with stripes on their pants.

And for the record, I believe the term "leotard look" is used quite a bit more than "yoga pants".  And my personal definition for it is any time the socks match the pants... stripes or no.

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I removed the pics of Michigan and Florida State... but every other team pictured here would look immensely better with stripes on their pants.

Penn State football would look better by simply ceasing to exist, but I digress.

Back on the Jaguars, I’m still underwhelmed by the overcorrection. It’s better than the old mess, but still misses out on interplay between the different colors in their color scheme. It’s fine. Not amazing or even good, just fine. Perfectly serviceable, which is good because the Jags will wind up wearing different uniforms in five years (hopefully keeping the gorgeous helmet), maybe with more ornamentation.

This team is condemned to be trend-chasers.

8 hours ago, TSHARE18 said:

Some of the players have the old decal colors now. Which match the actual logo on the jersey. So now I’m not sure which is correct or which one they will use for the helmets during th regular season. The Jaguar logo with the dark gold in the middle looks way better by the way. 

well, then I nominate you to be in-charge of that for the Jags, so I won't go all OCD when looking at my weekly helmet matchups on my mantle. 

12 hours ago, guest23 said:

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine, yeesh

14 hours ago, Gupti said:

We need to come up with some kind of running dictionary for all of the bizarre jargon we have in this ridiculous community.

This sounds like a thread in itself, perhaps even a pinned thread if this community has enough defined jargon. Off the top of my head the obvious one's are:

Yoga pants - when a American football team's uniform consists of matching pants and socks with no stripes or patterns. Also referred to as the "leotard look". Most common examples are teams with black pants and black socks

BFBS - abbreviation for the term "black for blacks sake", when a team that does not feature black in their color scheme fields a uniform consisting primarily of the color black. A trend that exploded during the 2000's.

1 hour ago, Olmec said:

This sounds like a thread in itself, perhaps even a pinned thread if this community has enough defined jargon. Off the top of my head the obvious one's are:

Yoga pants - when a American football team's uniform consists of matching pants and socks with no stripes or patterns. Also referred to as the "leotard look". Most common examples are teams with black pants and black socks

BFBS - abbreviation for the term "black for blacks sake", when a team that does not feature black in their color scheme fields a uniform consisting primarily of the color black. A trend that exploded during the 2000's.

Wasn't there a thread for that at one point?

23 hours ago, daveindc said:

When I see people use the term "yoga pants", they're almost always just casual NFL fans and not football fans in general:

Related image

Excuse the amount of pics here. I'm just trying to reiterate how solid of a look this is for football. "Yoga pants" my a**. 

The Penn State look is fine and the pants don't really need a stripe so long as you wear the socks like Saquon Barkley and NOT like Trace McSorely, who even with a pant stripe would look silly. 

I guess it just bother me less on them  versus a team like the Jaguars since they've always looked this way and they only have dark blue and white in their scheme whcih clash pretty well, whereas the Jags have 3 colors they dont consistently use and the teal and white blurs more together. .  

20 hours ago, Curtos07 said:

I was watching NFL highlights on television the other day, and the first thing that came to my mind when this game came on was, "Why are the Packers playing the Toronto Argonauts?"

The Edmonton Eskimos rented out Lambeau for a game, that's why :flagcanada:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

20 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Why Michigan and Florida State, and not the others? I guess it just comes down to personal opinion. To me it has a cleaner, more athletic look without the clunky and pointless stripes. The blocky stripes are just stale, useless decoration that clutters the overall look.

Less is more:

Related image

Image result for wazzu footballRelated image

Related image

25 minutes ago, daveindc said:

Why Michigan and Florida State, and not the others? I guess it just comes down to personal opinion. To me it has a cleaner, more athletic look without the clunky and pointless stripes. The blocky stripes are just stale, useless decoration that clutters the overall look.

Less is more:

(Picture spam cut)

So, all stripes are bad? Is that really your argument?

32 minutes ago, daveindc said:

Less is more:

I think it has a lot to do with the rest of the uniform and the other elements involved.. If the helmets and/or jerseys have stripes, the pants could probably use stripes.. If they don't, use them for practice and order some real uniforms!

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

So, all stripes are bad? Is that really your argument?

My argument is stripes just for the sake of having them is bad. Looking at the Jaguars'  uniform as "incomplete" just because you expect an NFL uniform to have stripes is bad. It's why we have all these odd, random patterns and piping on modern uniforms today just because it was seen as the next step from the old-fashioned stripes. It's all useless decoration. Less is more.

On 8/14/2018 at 3:20 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

When talking about the "yoga pants" look, we're not talking about white pants, or red pants, or yellow pants, or purple pants (those actually have stripe too, just above the knee), or maroon pants. Usually we're talking specifically about a plain black pants/black socks combo. Usually featured by the Ravens and Saints, and soon to be the Jaguars as well.

orleans-saints-v-denver-broncos-20121028

Baltimore-Ravens-Joe-Flacco-Offensive-Li

Yeah, I don't really see them as yoga pants or leotards. It just looks like a bunch of guys wearing pantyhose. I just find it unpleasant to look at a pantyhose team like Saints, Ravens, Jaguars, Texans, Titans etc. Their pants are fine, just put on some different socks.

Archived