NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

6 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

I suppose this is why it's a forum and not a guidebook, Reebok's shiny material was pretty much universally ugly and dated. So glad we've been past that dark era.

I agree with you, but only to an extent. Matte fabrics are *almost* always better with the exception of a few colors, those being the metallics: silver, gold, and the Bucs’ pewter. Other than those few, shiny fabrics are ugly as hell

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They at least have team wordmarks or logos on them, and recognizable (albeit likely not trademaekable) stripes, except for Giants blue. 

Jags have a logo... big one, right on the upper chest.  Also, Stripes... kind of, if you count those two pointy things on each side of the collar.  In fact, it would really be impossible not to say they have more design elements than the Giants' home.

ff_3147407alt1_full.jpg&w=600

Standard block numbers, no number trim, no stripes...

ff_3037096alt1_full.jpg&w=600

Custom number font, large team logo, weird thingies around the collar, other weird thingies at the sleeve end.

The Giants uniform, on field, head to toe, is one of my favorite uniforms, and I dislike these teal-less road jerseys, so I'm not really arguing that the Jag's road uniform is good, but this narrative that there's just NO design, or that it's the plainest uniform in the league, simply isn't true.

39 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

The Giants's road uniform is red and white. Same with the Niners.

The Jaguars (again, outside of the logo patch) is black and white. It needs the team color.

Look, I'm finding myself suddenly in the weird position of defending the Jags all white uniform, which I don't really want to do, but... black IS one of their team colors.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The Giants uniform, on field, head to toe, is one of my favorite uniforms, and I dislike these teal-less road jerseys, so I'm not really arguing that the Jag's road uniform is good, but this narrative that there's just NO design, or that it's the plainest uniform in the league, simply isn't true.

Well the Giants' uniforms include stripes on the pants. Which makes them decidedly less plain than the Jags' set.

The Jags' set could be passable. Team numbers on the white jerseys and some pants stripes. Not as good as they could be, but still nice. And they fail to reach that lowered bar.

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Look, I'm finding myself suddenly in the weird position of defending the Jags all white uniform, which I don't really want to do, but... black IS one of their team colors.

A team color that’s also used by half the league

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I'm sorry, but matte pewter does not look good.

I don't accept your apology. The matte pewter looks soooo much better to me. 

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

And how glad am I that the Packers don’t succumb to such fads as Nike’s matte fabrics. 

That's interesting. Are their pants shiny or matte or something else? I've always found their sleeve stripes (and this is an issue for a number of NFL teams) look cheap due to the shiny/plastic look.

I think some shininess CAN work but it's rarely the superior look to me. Would love examples of downgrades from shiny to matte (unforch the Bucs is not an example IMO) to challenge my views.

As for the "black is a team color" argument, technically yes. And it's not an issue of other teams also using black for me, but the fact that black is essentially a non-color. It isn't distinguishing and black and white doesn't pop and give a connection to the team. Teal and gold could both do that, black & white on its own does not accomplish this. From the cleats to the chest patch there isn't a distinguishing feature, unless you know your fonts (and outside of this forum, people don't).

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Jags have a logo... big one, right on the upper chest. 

It's so plain, I got bored and lost interest before I even saw the big logo on the chest.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

10 teams have black as a team color:

Ravens, Bengals, Steelers, Jaguars, Raiders, Eagles, Falcons, Panthers, Saints, Cardinals. 

10 out of 32 isn't half. It isn't even a third.

49ers, still too many to make a uniform that is exclusively black and white, only one other team has a color close to teal so the jaguars should own that color

9 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

I suppose this is why it's a forum and not a guidebook, Reebok's shiny material was pretty much universally ugly and dated. So glad we've been past that dark era.

I liked the shinny material. Helped make many colors pop out. 

XM4KeeA.png

6 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

That's interesting. Are (the Packers’) pants shiny or matte or something else? I've always found their sleeve stripes (and this is an issue for a number of NFL teams) look cheap due to the shiny/plastic look

The Packers’ sleeve stripes look cheap because they are silk screened. That’s a bad choice, and one I’d like to see them fix. Agree with you there. I wish the Packers would weave the stripes in to the fabric as the Steelers do. 

But their pants are the same shiny material they’ve worn for decades. Nike, Reebok, the manufacturers with their fads come and go, but the Packers don’t need to appeal to temporary trends created by the marketing departments. 

51 minutes ago, insert name said:

I liked the shinny material. Helped make many colors pop out. 

As did I.  Teams should get a choice.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well the Giants' uniforms include stripes on the pants. Which makes them decidedly less plain than the Jags' set.

The Jags' set could be passable. Team numbers on the white jerseys and some pants stripes. Not as good as they could be, but still nice. And they fail to reach that lowered bar.

I obviously am not arguing with either of these points. Rereading the last few pages, I realize it looks like I'm a big fan of the Jags redesign, and I admit I was shocked by how much I liked their teal over white combo.  But I am in no way attempting to say that their all-white look isn't lacking visual interest.  That thing is dull. And I think I'm going to hate the white over black look even more... black pants without stripes are the worst look in football. But, I do appreciate the effort to go with something more simple, overall, at least in theory.

I think this look is a few small steps from perfect.  Here's what I'd do;

1.  Make the teal jersey the primary home.  They can wear the black jersey once or twice a year, or better yet, just get rid of them.

2. On the white jersey, change the collar and cuff details to teal.  I think the plain numbers look nice in black and would wash out in teal, but the jersey accents would work well in teal.

2. Get rid of the black pants, all together. With teal pants as an option, I can't think of any combo that the black pants would appeal to me, especially with black socks as the only option. . All black... no thanks. Black over white, no thanks again.  Teal over black could be occasionally interesting, but not enough to make me want to keep those pants.

3. Add a small, simple, Oakland Raiders' type stripe to the pants. I'd go teal stripe on the white pants (to match the details on the white jersey) and black on the teal pants.

Done.

Archived