NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

44 minutes ago, dont care said:

It’s still their dark color rush uniform

I'm not sure about that? I thought the throwback is their new color rush?

Either way, I don't think they completely rid themselves of it. If anything they're hoping to just let it fade into oblivion without having to admit a mistake. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, kimball said:

I'm not sure about that? I thought the throwback is their new color rush?

Either way, I don't think they completely rid themselves of it. If anything they're hoping to just let it fade into oblivion without having to admit a mistake. 

There are light options and dark options for every team for color rush.

48 minutes ago, dont care said:

There are light options and dark options for every team for color rush.

Source?

Cuz the article from Chris himself says the throwback replaced the black. Also, I've never heard that all teams have a light and dark option, especially seeing that color rush is no longer mandated. 

http://news.sportslogos.net/2018/05/24/49ers-throw-it-back-to-the-94ers-unveil-alternate-uniform/

The new uniform will replace the 49ers all-black alternate uniform they had been wearing since 2015 for this season, it will also be used as their Thursday Night “ColorRush” set where applicable.

40 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Source?

Cuz the article from Chris himself says the throwback replaced the black. Also, I've never heard that all teams have a light and dark option, especially seeing that color rush is no longer mandated. 

http://news.sportslogos.net/2018/05/24/49ers-throw-it-back-to-the-94ers-unveil-alternate-uniform/

He’s probably referring to the fact that madden lists it as a color rush option 

1 hour ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Source?

It's sort of light/dark...but more like "Color Rush/Alt Color Rush". The Patriots white jerseys/white pants would be the alternative (lighter) look, and same with the Jets' all white.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

35 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

It's sort of light/dark...but more like "Color Rush/Alt Color Rush". The Patriots white jerseys/white pants would be the alternative (lighter) look, and same with the Jets' all white.

Right, but the Patriots are the only team that added new pants for a light/dark option and that was when color rush was mandatory. Not every team has a light/dark color option. 

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

They do have a choice.  The Packers have avoided all of Nike’s fads so far. 

3 hours ago, orangefaniniowa said:

And Carolina as well.

Yeah, I kinda wish the Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles had stuck to their guns and not eventually caved once Nike got their color right, but then again the lighter, dryer, stretchier fabric was probably part of why they won the Super Bowl and became Super Bowl Champions.  Is it any coincidence that neither the Packers nor Panthers have won the Super Bowl since everyone else switched to Nike?  Maybe... but probably not.  Nike > pride.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 minutes ago, Placebo said:

I agree --I think that the Vikes should use all white as primary away.

I disagree -- I think the Vikes should use purple pants as primary away. Mono white should be used every once and a while or for preseason. White away socks would would improve the purple pants look.

23 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I'm sorry, but matte pewter does not look good.

But it is probably a lot closer in appearance to the drinking wares that pirates used for their dinner parties. Gritty, dark, and weathered is a better choice for that team than anything shiny, in my opinion.

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The Packers’ sleeve stripes look cheap because they are silk screened. That’s a bad choice, and one I’d like to see them fix. Agree with you there. I wish the Packers would weave the stripes in to the fabric as the Steelers do. 

But their pants are the same shiny material they’ve worn for decades. Nike, Reebok, the manufacturers with their fads come and go, but the Packers don’t need to appeal to temporary trends created by the marketing departments. 

I don’t know if if fad is the right word. It’s simply a better performing material for athletics, and that’s why it’s here to stay. Every sport moves toward better performing textiles over time, and they rarely, if ever, revert to technology that came before. Shiny dazzle is going the way of buckle belts and tube socks, at least at the elite level, and I think even the Packers will someday wind up in the latest style.

The forms and structures of the garments themselves? Definitely fad territory, but not so much the textiles.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 minute ago, DouglasQuaid said:

I disagree -- I think the Vikes should use purple pants as primary away. Mono white should be used every once and a while or for preseason. White away socks would would improve the purple pants look.

Agree to disagree. The Vikes have gone double white most often and I think it is their best look, personally.

1 hour ago, DouglasQuaid said:

Strongly disagree, all white is the classic Vikings look and the current unis are a great modern take on the classic look other than the fact they wear purple pants far too often. And also the serifs on one of the digits in a number looks incredibly dumb and ruins any player with a number that is the same digit twice (Harrison Smith #22, Anthony Barr #55, Dalvin Cook #33)

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

But it is probably a lot closer in appearance to the drinking wares that pirates used for their dinner parties. Gritty, dark, and weathered is a better choice for that team than anything shiny, in my opinion.

I don’t know if if fad is the right word. It’s simply a better performing material for athletics, and that’s why it’s here to stay. Every sport moves toward better performing textiles over time, and they rarely, if ever, revert to technology that came before. Shiny dazzle is going the way of buckle belts and tube socks, at least at the elite level, and I think even the Packers will someday wind up in the latest style.

The forms and structures of the garments themselves? Definitely fad territory, but not so much the textiles.

Right, but is being matte finish what makes them better gear? Doubtful - correlation doesn't equal causation. I also find it doubtful, given the state of technology today, that teams will forever be forced to choose only one particular material finish if they want to perform. Admittedly, I'm biased because I prefer glossy to matte for almost anything.

Also, I don't think the Buccaneers' current pants/yoke look like tarnished or weathered metal. I think they look non-metallic altogether, which is pretty silly given that their color is supposed to be pewter, which IS A METAL.

53 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Right, but is being matte finish what makes them better gear? Doubtful - correlation doesn't equal causation. I also find it doubtful, given the state of technology today, that teams will forever be forced to choose only one particular material finish if they want to perform. Admittedly, I'm biased because I prefer glossy to matte for almost anything.

Also, I don't think the Buccaneers' current pants/yoke look like tarnished or weathered metal. I think they look non-metallic altogether, which is pretty silly given that their color is supposed to be pewter, which IS A METAL.

I think Andrew (who i believe is one of the more knowledgeable people here on this subject) is saying that matte fabrics just happen to be the best performing for athletic wear. 

I know people hate on the big companies for their "nikespeak" but i'm certain a ton of r&d goes into their work. 

Plus with all the shiny metallic embellishments that have been used over the past few years (looking at you, adidas), you don't think they would really push for a metallic/shiny looking fabric?

On 8/20/2018 at 9:15 PM, Gothamite said:

And how glad am I that the Packers don’t succumb to such fads as Nike’s matte fabrics. 

The funny thing, I think, with the Packers and matte pants is that when they first introduced those Acme Packers throwbacks around 2010, I recall seeing news tidbits about how the Packers players (not the least being Aaron Rodgers) were raving about how comfortable the pants that went with them were, and how they looked forward to wearing them for the pants. Those throwback pants happened to be made of a matte beige-colored fabric. Was it the fact that they were matte? Was it that they were just able to make beige-colored fabric in a softer textile? I don’t know, but I find it funny how they were notably so much more comfy than what they’d worn for so long that they went out of their way praise them for it. Surely a lot of hubbub for a set of drawers.

4 hours ago, lbj273 said:

Strongly disagree, all white is the classic Vikings look and the current unis are a great modern take on the classic look other than the fact they wear purple pants far too often. And also the serifs on one of the digits in a number looks incredibly dumb and ruins any player with a number that is the same digit twice (Harrison Smith #22, Anthony Barr #55, Dalvin Cook #33)

5 hours ago, Placebo said:

Agree to disagree. The Vikes have gone double white most often and I think it is their best look, personally.

I agree that white on white is a great classic look but I believe it worked better with the old ucla stripes. Personally I like the purple pants because they looked great on the classic uniforms and still look great today. (Still need white away socks).

3c7f83e243f39104063602279fa56c7c.jpgadrian-peterson.jpg

When I was a kid in the 70's (...don't say it...) I saw an old film of Jim Marshall's wrong way run and became fascinated that back in the 60's the Vikings had purple pants. I spent the next 30 years wanting them to bring them back.

Now, I like the pants, in a vacuum, but every time I can't help thinking how bad those socks look with them. (Of course that's true of about half the league... I don't get it, but it's obvious a look that's being actively pushed, and has been for about a decade now.)  Also, the few times they've worn all-white with this set, I do find myself appreciating the look. Of course, if they wore all-white more often, I'd get more annoyed at the disconnection between the jersey stripes and the pants stripes.  It's always something. 

Archived