NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:52 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

Would those parking lot guys be in the same union as the ones for the Giants and the 49ers?  Because both those jerseys have even less going on than the Jags.

Giants - home jersey is in the team's primary color, worn with pants featuring stripes and secondary color of red. Road jersey has sleeve stripes and striped pants featuring primary and secondary team colors. Also, the helmet is the team's primary color.

49ers - home jersey is in team primary color and has sleeve stripes. Worn with pants (which perfectly match the helmets!) featuring team primary and secondary colors. Road jersey - see Giants

Jaguars - home jersey is in team's primary color, and the helmet is good. The pants look like the equipment manager shrank all the pants, so he had Eastbay overnight ship blank white pants. The road jersey is completely devoid of the team's primary color other than a tongue. A tongue!

Nike can't do anything right unless teams say "this is our design, deal with it." They really have three design techniques:

1. Ridiculous and garish design made to highlight Nike's templates and be dated almost instantly. (Browns, Titans, Bucs)

2. Absurdly minimalist and devoid of design, with the exception of a bad and contrived custom font. (Jaguars)

3. Taking cues from old team looks, but changing a bunch of things (for the worse in each case) and also adding an awful and contrived custom font. (Lions, Vikings)

#3 is clearly the most preferable of Nike's outcomes, but it's still grating that Nike misses so many chances when they could make something great. The Vikings pants stripes are bad and the number are awful. The black facemasks are one of the worst design elements in the NFL. And the Lions just need to dress like Barry Sanders was still playing. Awful font, worse helmet/pants stripes, logos and wordmarks covering jersey stripes.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These titans' uniforms are dismal.  They look like a vaguely less interesting Seattle (and why anyone would want to look like Seattle at all is a mystery to me).  What a pack of dopes.

atob8drk0cmgrvloaq6z.jpg

vvzolpryvhyg7hyj9vof.jpg

qljdcb0wtdm3klp1b7rn.jpg

As expected, the dumbasses go with the monochrome look, and also as expected it looks like complete garbage.

The monochrome navy does not work for the Titans. Based on the past few years, I'm also afraid that it may be the combo they wear most.

The color balance is all wrong. Grey simply was never meant to be a primary color for the Titans with their current identity, but these uniforms practically promote it to secondary status over columbia. The side panels were clearly tacked on due to the fear of lacking the two-tone blue, but it looks like an afterthought at best. I will say that they wore by far their worst combo tonight, but I'm hoping for a change sooner than later. 

spacer.png

10 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Theatob8drk0cmgrvloaq6z.jpg

This proves my point about how infuriating brilliant NIke is - their logo is a fundamental part of the uniform.  They did it with Jax too.  Since it's the only red, and it's featured on the sleeves, it's essentially unchangable.  If they changed all the swooshes in the league to some neutral color, the Titans and Jags unifroms would look strikingly different, even though an advertisers logo shouldn't matter.  Also, if Nike lost the contract somehow and RBK took it over, that switch in logo also changes the uniform in a more significant way than it ever should.

That is the worst thing to come out of the most recent redesigns - even worse than the actual designs - because it creates a reliance on the advertiser's logo, and puts its brand ahead of the team's.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yep, these TightHawks getups are clearly the new-“old” Jags uniforms of the league now.

E416_DE44_0030_4_C21_9884_578940080_CB6.

C030_FD02_56_D5_4087_882_C_D497_A0_AD24_

•Both are comprised of a mish-mash several unrelated design elements that demonstrate an inability in the designers to know when to stop and ultimately are incoherent messes.

•Both are created with dark monochrome combos in mind and insist upon them (and also ignore the teams’ classic, fan favorite colors in favor of darker, more generic ones).

•Both have one contrasting-color element that was clearly shoehorned in because they panicked over not having enough of the fan-favorite “real” colors represented [The Titans armpit stains and Jags contrast sleevecaps, which is clear for them when you consider that earlier renderings shown only had the cuffs colored teal, not the entire sleeve fill-bucketed in).

•Both jumped the shark with their helmets.

•Both have spiky, angular number fonts.

•Both tried to get way too creative with the shoulder area.

•Both have pants stripes/designs that are unrelated geometric shapes and don’t have basis in or match with anything and are pretty ugly. 

•Both suck mightily.

If there was any team that we had to pass that torch off to, at least it was only the Titans.

6 minutes ago, Gupti said:

Yep, these TightHawks getups are clearly the new-“old” Jags uniforms of the league now.

E416_DE44_0030_4_C21_9884_578940080_CB6.

C030_FD02_56_D5_4087_882_C_D497_A0_AD24_

•Both are comprised of a mish-mash several unrelated design elements that demonstrate an inability in the designers to know when to stop and ultimately are incoherent messes.

•Both are created with dark monochrome combos in mind and insist upon them (and also ignore the teams’ classic, fan favorite colors in favor of darker, more generic ones).

•Both have one contrasting-color element that was clearly shoehorned in because they panicked over not having enough of the fan-favorite “real” colors represented [The Titans armpit stains and Jags contrast sleevecaps, which is clear for them when you consider that earlier renderings shown only had the cuffs colored teal, not the entire sleeve fill-bucketed in).

•Both jumped the shark with their helmets.

•Both have spiky, angular number fonts.

•Both tried to get way too creative with the shoulder area.

•Both have pants stripes/designs that are unrelated geometric shapes and don’t have basis in or match with anything and are pretty ugly. 

•Both suck mightily.

If there was any team that we had to pass that torch off to, at least it was only the Titans.

If the Jags just changed the helmet in that picture it is better than their current set.

Doing nothing is almost as bad as doing too much.

44 minutes ago, Placebo said:

If the Jags just changed the helmet in that picture it is better than their current set.

A LITTLE LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK

I'm admittedly biased because I liked the previous set despite its flaws, but the Jaguars are going to be looking like this 90% of the time next season- 

dut4jcgbqmqvnavg26xj.jpg

How can we really call that an improvement? I don't want to hear any more comparisons to the Giants and 49ers to defend this set either. They're not valid because it's like the Jaguars are trying to play dress-up as one of these teams, and it's not fitting of their identity at all. Neither of those teams are emphasizing a scheme of black and white either. 

spacer.png

Titans had a real opportunity to do something unique and bring back the awesome columbia blue more prominently with a helmet and main home jersey. 

Now they look like the bastard love child of the Texans and the old Jags set.  Sigh. 

24 minutes ago, Placebo said:

Nah. Way too fugly, head-to-toe. The contrast sleevecaps, shiny shoulder crap, gauche blocky pants “stripe,” etc. were all unforgivable at first sight for me. It doesn’t even make sense as a uniform.

Just now, Gupti said:

Nah. Way too fugly, head-to-toe. The contrast sleevecaps, shiny shoulder crap, gauche blocky pants “stripe,” etc. were all unforgivable at first sight for me. It doesn’t even make sense as a uniform.

At least they tried though.

16 minutes ago, henburg said:

A LITTLE LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK

I'm admittedly biased because I liked the previous set, but the Jaguars are going to be looking like this 90% of the time next season- 

dut4jcgbqmqvnavg26xj.jpg

How can we really call that an improvement? I don't want to hear any more comparisons to the Giants and 49ers to defend this set either. They're not valid because it's like the Jaguars are trying to play dress-up as one of these teams, and it's not fitting of their identity at all. Neither of those teams are emphasizing a scheme of black and white either. 

Also, it looks like #56 is wearing all-white socks. Take notes class, this is a real-world example of a white yoga pants look. That honestly looks even worse than black yoga pants.

ExJworW.png

Archived