NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

With colored jerseys, the "3-color rule" only works if the helmet is the darkest color, so the Chargers powder over gold with white helmet doesn't work, nor does the Titans powder over navy, nor did the Panthers blue over black (IMO.)

Seconded.  Light-colored helmets really need matching pants to work.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That the Baltimore Ravens (along with the Philadelphia Eagles--and really, even the Carolina Panthers) have held onto their neo-traditional* look for as long as they have (albeit granted with several little changes in those first two or three years), while the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Jacksonville Jaguars--and really, even the Tennessee Titans--have moved on toward, well, "other things" really shows the power of equity. Now I realize that the Ravens' look isn't everyone's cup of tea (and I'm 95% certain it's the number font that's the main source of contention), BUT... there's something to be said for staying power. And now that they've added these purple pants (which I REALLY liked--what the world took then so long to do this???), it just infused some more life into [what I believe is] an already solid look. It's been right at about 20 years for them, about 24 years for the Eagles and Panthers--and, not for nothing, but the Denver Broncos as well--y'all completes about one generation, if you're of the persuasion that 20-21 years completes a "generation".  All of that is just a long way of saying that I'm glad the Ravens have sense enough to hold onto what's worked for them for so long. 

*Now in regards to "neo-traditional", this is pretty much what I meant: if you go back to about the '96-'97 timeframe, that's when most of these looks debuted. Except for the Broncos and Panthers, each of those teams debuted uniforms with jerseys featuring no stripes, but alternate--okay, black--shoulder/collar cuff trim (except the Niners) and alternate logos on the sleeves, custom number fonts for all but two (after '99), and pants with some kind of striping. The Eagles probably changed their pant stripes the most during those first few years, but the Buccaneers and Jaguars--and 49ers, once they figured out what they were doing then--went with the style similar to those first used by the Atlanta Falcons. (Side note: does anyone know if there's a "name" for that particular style of pant stripe?) Five of those teams--the Eagles, Niners, Buccaneers, Jaguars and  Ravens--also had double-outlined numbers (and all of them featuring black, three with drop shadows). About 2000, I think things mostly settled out, so that's the year from which I'll show pretty much what I'm talking about with this "neo-traditional" thing (which I've also seen some around these parts refer to as "contemporary classic").

san-francisco-california-usa-17th-oct-19

Dawkins_Brian1_Eagles.jpg

s-l640.jpg

GettyImages-654453.0.jpg

jacksonville-jaguars-quarterback-mark-br

And, in a manner of speaking, the Tennessee Titans kinda fit into this mold...

Tennessee-Titans-1999.jpg

Hopefully I've done a good enough job to illustrate my point here about "neo-traditional".

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, Buc said:

That the Baltimore Ravens (along with the Philadelphia Eagles--and really, even the Carolina Panthers) have held onto their neo-traditional* look for as long as they have (albeit granted with several little changes in those first two or three years), while the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Jacksonville Jaguars--and really, even the Tennessee Titans--have moved on toward, well, "other things" really shows the power of equity. Now I realize that the Ravens' look isn't everyone's cup of tea (and I'm 95% certain it's the number font that's the main source of contention), BUT... there's something to be said for staying power. And now that they've added these purple pants (which I REALLY liked--what the world took then so long to do this???), it just infused some more life into [what I believe is] an already solid look. It's been right at about 20 years for them, about 24 years for the Eagles and Panthers--and, not for nothing, but the Denver Broncos as well--y'all completes about one generation, if you're of the persuasion that 20-21 years completes a "generation".  All of that is just a long way of saying that I'm glad the Ravens have sense enough to hold onto what's worked for them for so long. 

*Now in regards to "neo-traditional", this is pretty much what I meant: if you go back to about the '96-'97 timeframe, that's when most of these looks debuted. Except for the Broncos and Panthers, each of those teams debuted uniforms with jerseys featuring no stripes, but alternate--okay, black--shoulder/collar cuff trim (except the Niners) and alternate logos on the sleeves, custom number fonts for all but two (after '99), and pants with some kind of striping. The Eagles probably changed their pant stripes the most during those first few years, but the Buccaneers and Jaguars--and 49ers, once they figured out what they were doing then--went with the style similar to those first used by the Atlanta Falcons. (Side note: does anyone know if there's a "name" for that particular style of pant stripe?) Five of those teams--the Eagles, Niners, Buccaneers, Jaguars and  Ravens--also had double-outlined numbers (and all of them featuring black, three with drop shadows). About 2000, I think things mostly settled out, so that's the year from which I'll show pretty much what I'm talking about with this "neo-traditional" thing (which I've also seen some around these parts refer to as "contemporary classic").

And, in a manner of speaking, the Tennessee Titans kinda fit into this mold...

Hopefully I've done a good enough job to illustrate my point here about "neo-traditional".

I like your analysis and think that neo-traditional is a pretty on-point name to describe this class of uniform design. You could maybe even add the modern Patriots and Texans to the group.

That said, I feel that staying power can be good but it definitely isn't always the best way to go. In my opinion, a lot of the neo-traditional looks are uninspired to say the least. There's very little consistency/coordination in any of those looks you posted. For instance, that Titans set in particular is just a random mashup of design elements that don't really flow together at all- the tapered helmet stripes really clash with the more traditional pants. It's like the designers of that time didn't know how to complete any of the uniform designs by the time they reached the pants, so they just slapped braisher stripes or outlines on everything. 

To be clear, I don't hate the look of this era, in fact I like the Panthers and Eagles looks a lot. However, sometimes I feel like complacency can be confused with staying power. If some of those looks were unveiled today, they would not be well-recieved at all and for good reason. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

@Buc i think the name you’re looking for in regards to the Falcons style pants stripe is a tapered stripe. 

I should clarify--i meant in regards to this style...

s-l300.jpg

Jamal-Anderson-2.jpg

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

1 hour ago, henburg said:

In my opinion, a lot of the neo-traditional looks are uninspired to say the least. There's very little consistency/coordination in any of those looks you posted. For instance, that Titans set in particular is just a random mashup of design elements that don't really flow together well at all- the tapered helmet stripes really clash with the more traditional pants. It's like the designers of that time didn't know how to complete any of the uniform designs by the time they reached the pants, so they just slapped braisher stripes or outlines on everything. 

I can see how one would say that! And the Titans' uniforms were the perfect example to use. I think it's clear to see at that point in time "braisher" was the clear order of the day, and perhaps designers really didn't know how--or perhaps didn't want to--stray too much from "tried-&-true" pants design. Which may be how we got the Titans set we got. (Interestingly enough, the Eagles and 49ers began their "neo-traditional" lives in regular braisher stripes before adopting a different style later on.)

That's not a knock against the designers of that time; but I do find it interesting to study the different trends in uniform design from different eras, and the '90s certainly brought us some "jewels", to say the least. 

(Oh, and before I forget--let me add in the Houston Texans to this neo-traditional subclass, as well, as their uniforms check all the boxes for this era.)

Fun fact: although the 49ers' and Buccaneers' sets from that time were extremely similar, right down to the block number fonts as they were the only two teams to use that particular block then, the Buccaneers' and Baltimore Ravens' identities were designed by the same guy, Kurt Osaki of Osaki Creative, who also gave us the then-redefined look of the Hawaii Warriors identity of 2000. As I understood it, he was a huge comic book fan, and some of those influences show up in his design work, particularly with the Buccaneers. Ever noticed how extra-thick the black outlines were on those jersey numbers as compared to other jersey numbers around the league then? That's why...its the comic book influence in the design. Sorta the same with the Ravens. It can really be seen in the logos if you look closely enough.

5 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Am I the only one who likes the new purple pants for the Ravens?

5 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

No, i like them.  Now add stripes to the black pants...

I liked the Ravens purple pants, and we desperately need stripes on the black pants. I'm not too sure about them being a a full-time option (that should be the white or even possibly properly striped black pants), but I love them as an alternate option. I can't help but think how black over purple would look.

As for the Ravens in general, I echo @Buc's sentiment--I might not love absolutely everything about them, but I've grown to like and gain a greater appreciation for the neo-traditional looks that came about in the 1990s and whose bases designs have remained virtually untouched for last two decades, like the Ravens, Panthers, and even Eagles. That's not to say that I would make some tweaks to them (I'd make the Eagles green, well, greener, and drop black in favor of a mid-dark gray or just use silver, I'd change the Ravens' helmet logo and possibly add a purple/white/purple or Brashier stripe to it, and I'd either drop the Panthers' white pants or completely drop silver from the Panthers' palette), but there's something to say about sticking with what you have instead of throwing everything out the window to chase trends [see: Buccaneers, Tampa Bay and Jaguars, Jacksonville (though to their credit they've come back in the right direction), and Browns, Cleveland].

It's also ironic that the old Browns are respecting their equity far more than the current team named the Browns, even after being forced to change their name, colors, and uniforms (not to mention their primary logo twice--owing to the fact that the original Browns never had much of a logo then).

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

13 hours ago, Buc said:

I can see how one would say that! And the Titans' uniforms were the perfect example to use. I think it's clear to see at that point in time "braisher" was the clear order of the day, and perhaps designers really didn't know how--or perhaps didn't want to--stray too much from "tried-&-true" pants design. Which may be how we got the Titans set we got. (Interestingly enough, the Eagles and 49ers began their "neo-traditional" lives in regular braisher stripes before adopting a different style later on.)

That's not a knock against the designers of that time; but I do find it interesting to study the different trends in uniform design from different eras, and the '90s certainly brought us some "jewels", to say the least. 

(Oh, and before I forget--let me add in the Houston Texans to this neo-traditional subclass, as well, as their uniforms check all the boxes for this era.)

there is definitely a clash of elements in this era, but even before the 90s, that was the case. when i think of throwbacks, i think the good ones have something quirky or off about them. you dont really see the repetition and rhythm of a single idea consistently until the Reebok era (Falcons, Bengals, Cards) but i believe all that happened because of the team that bridges those eras— the Broncos. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

20 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

there is definitely a clash of elements in this era, but even before the 90s, that was the case. when i think of throwbacks, i think the good ones have something quirky or off about them. you dont really see the repetition and rhythm of a single idea consistently until the Reebok era (Falcons, Bengals, Cards) but i believe all that happened because of the team that bridges those eras— the Broncos. 

Right. The Broncos forever changed the game of NFL uniform design far as I'm concerned. But actually, now that I think about it, shoot, really them and the Panthers together, since the Panthers began life in 1995, I believe.

Side note: do you cover any of this in that book on uniform design you're working on?

6 hours ago, Buc said:

Right. The Broncos forever changed the game of NFL uniform design far as I'm concerned. But actually, now that I think about it, shoot, really them and the Panthers together, since the Panthers began life in 1995, I believe.

Side note: do you cover any of this in that book on uniform design you're working on?

yea, the era covered was 2000-2015 but starts with the Broncos because i felt it was too important not to include. but that project is probably one that wont ever be finished

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

7 minutes ago, Ark said:

I don't see how "yoga pants" is an insult. Yoga pants don't look bad.

When they look like yoga pants, they stop looking like football pants. That’s the only issue. 

Archived