NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one that's annoyed by "Sr." and "IV" on the back of jerseys?  Nobody gives a F if you have a kid with the same name as yours.  Nobody gives a F about the other 3 yous in your family.  Unless you're playing with your father or son, you don't need a suffix on your jersey.  Your utility bill doesn't say "Smith, Sr."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

All else considered, teal tops + white pants = passable (&, at least on TV, good) look for Jacksonville.

Teal is y'all's color. Embrace it.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Am I the only one that's annoyed by "Sr." and "IV" on the back of jerseys?  Nobody gives a F if you have a kid with the same name as yours.  Nobody gives a F about the other 3 yous in your family.  Unless you're playing with your father or son, you don't need a suffix on your jersey.  Your utility bill doesn't say "Smith, Sr."

I wish there was a second like button. I find it silly even if you have 2 Smiths and then you have J. Smith and K. Smith. Isn’t the two sets of tv numbers and the giant numbers on the front AND back of your jersey enough to delineate you?  I can live with that, but like you said, the suffix is too much. I’m also awaiting this current generation of Last-Names to have the first sets of kids with 3 or 4 last names. Last-Freaking-Name, III

KISSwall09.jpg

21 minutes ago, hormone said:

I wish there was a second like button. I find it silly even if you have 2 Smiths and then you have J. Smith and K. Smith. Isn’t the two sets of tv numbers and the giant numbers on the front AND back of your jersey enough to delineate you?  I can live with that, but like you said, the suffix is too much. I’m also awaiting this current generation of Last-Names to have the first sets of kids with 3 or 4 last names. Last-Freaking-Name, III

Well for one thing, I don't see any issue with Last-Name, but I hadn't even given any thought to Last-Name-Last or Last-Name-Last-Name, which is a real possibility.  Having lots of names isn't uncommon in other cultures, and I don't see it as an issue in any way other than on sports jerseys.  What the hell would they do?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Well for one thing, I don't see any issue with Last-Name, but I hadn't even given any thought to Last-Name-Last or Last-Name-Last-Name, which is a real possibility.  Having lots of names isn't uncommon in other cultures, and I don't see it as an issue in any way other than on sports jerseys.  What the hell would they do?

One person I know’s last name is Rojas-Martinez-Castro, and he’s used both just “CASTRO” and “RM CASTRO” (in basketball and football, respectively). That’s probably what they would do, but who knows.

ExJworW.png

38 minutes ago, hormone said:

Well... remember the days when THIS was prevalent??

4918101085_69e3f1f518_o.png

11875064406_4d9e682c5c_o.jpg

5ae7d80943f011f5027249415ec597b3.jpg

93d134392a94eec5646a1470cc0894ec.jpg

1994795829_7f80776abc_o.jpg

gettyimages-161006049_master.jpg?quality

And then, of course, there's this more famous example:

25ee5a0ebabf775c8b1b77028f4d7339--footba

(And apparently, this less-notorious example also existed:)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTU8S04VI4kXZGXVI8Ohc6

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

12 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

One person I know’s last name is Rojas-Martinez-Castro, and he’s used both just “CASTRO” and “RM CASTRO” (in basketball and football, respectively). That’s probably what they would do, but who knows.

Wouldn't that be considered disrespectful to the Rojas and Martinez?  I remember DOminique Rodgers-Cromartie asking not to be called DRC because it's disrespectful to his last names.  Maybe something like "RO.-MAR.-CAS"?

Not sure if there's an aesthetically-pleasing solution to the space problem.

7 minutes ago, Placebo said:

These guys work hard to get in the league. If they want to do something like add a "Sr." -- it does not bother me at all.

You know who else worked hard? The guy from the chiefs who became a doctor. He got MD denied on his nameplate and I think becoming a doctor is a lot harder than becoming a father and naming your kid the same name. Lol. I’m just in the camp that the suffix is unnecessary clutter and my uniform ocd kicks in seeing the surname appear off center 

KISSwall09.jpg

13 minutes ago, hormone said:

You know who else worked hard? The guy from the chiefs who became a doctor. He got MD denied on his nameplate and I think becoming a doctor is a lot harder than becoming a father and naming your kid the same name. Lol. I’m just in the camp that the suffix is unnecessary clutter and my uniform ocd kicks in seeing the surname appear off center 

I would let Tardif do that as well.

Being really into uniform design is more than fine. 

There are players under those uniforms though  and I would give them the freedom to add things like those discussed here.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They’ll probably assign a hierarchy depending on how much space they have. I’ve heard stories of Indian professors and students whose full names actually take up more than a full typed line, but they also have a short version to go by.

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

As as long as they’re within the confines of the uniform design, using their actual name/credentials and the proper color and typeface, it seems like a silly thing to get annoyed about. If someone “doesn’t give a F if you have a kid with the same name as yours,” then they likely see you more as a football-playing entertainment cyborg than a human being and probably don’t care what your last name is in the first place.

1 hour ago, hormone said:

Sure, but then why even have names, because that basically proves how inessential they are. I actually share that point of view and that’s why I prioritize how the name looks with the rest of the uniform over how readable it is. It’s a name. It’s rarely, if ever, the best tool to identify a player, and I think these days, it’s mostly just there for ego purposes. The fact that there are still professional and collegiate teams that don’t put names on their jerseys is case closed for me. They’re nice, but they’re not essential.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

37 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

They’re nice, but they’re not essential.

I liked the first half of this post, but not the thought behind the quoted

You made the NFL, you deserve your last name on it. It is more than just ego for these guys. They represent their families, friends, schools, coaches, neighborhoods, cities, states, provinces, and even countries.

I consider them essential.

Archived