NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

Just now, tjs11 said:

Steve Smith - Not a Virgin

Or AC Green’s coulda said “Green, the Last” 45

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

this is the hill I want to die on.  It's godsdamned sports.  Drop the formalities.  You're just Smith.  You're not Dr. Smith.  YOu're not Smith ESQ.  You're not Smith VIII.  You're Smith QB.  Or Smith RB.  Sports uniforms are to identify the team, and then the player on said team.  That ends when a number and "Smith" is placed on a red shirt.  Come at me.

I’m the fourth generation to carry my name. I use “IV” to distinguish myself from my father, because, while I carry my name with pride, I don’t want a damn thing to do with him. ??‍♂️

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

10 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Sure, but then why even have names, because that basically proves how inessential they are. I actually share that point of view and that’s why I prioritize how the name looks with the rest of the uniform over how readable it is. It’s a name. It’s rarely, if ever, the best tool to identify a player, and I think these days, it’s mostly just there for ego purposes. The fact that there are still professional and collegiate teams that don’t put names on their jerseys is case closed for me. They’re nice, but they’re not essential.

The only reason teams today put names on jerseys is so fans need to buy new ones when players leave and are replaced.  

6 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

these uniforms are terrible.  And look even worse on TV.  Overall I think they look worse on the field than they did during the unveiling.  Easily a bottom 5 uniform set for me.

texans-titans-football-2270067125039bc6.jpg

I think elements of this design will translate well in a few years when they inevitably rebrand again, but as for now they are indeed a kludge.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I think the only thing they have going for them at this point is their colors. Light blue, navy, red.  And even those are getting drowned out by two shades of grey in this set.  They just look very dull to me.  They remind me of the Jags circa 2009 uniforms in that you have to do a double take to figure out what team is playing.  

90758391980.gif

14 hours ago, masterchaoss said:

Yeah I noticed that during the game as well was just finaly able to find a tweet that shows it well. I defentaly prefer the font they had before. 

My wife and I watched the game and we both thought that the font has an art deco feel to it, which is odd since they didn't make it out here until 1946.

VmWIn6B.png

On 9/16/2018 at 4:09 PM, DNAsports said:

Probably just a display on someone's desk, but is the Vikings helmet in the background black?

DnPi9OqV4AE6_5k?format=jpg&name=medium

I know alternate helmets are not allowed, but that lighting makes it look as like they are the Throwback Helmets from our 1969-1995 Set. (Minus the Horn, of course)

Please bring them back Vikings!!

ponder-petersen.jpg

30221_PL_Vikings_61_79_3.png

da0Lbhs.png

2 hours ago, simtek34 said:

I know alternate helmets are not allowed, but that lighting makes it look as like they are the Throwback Helmets from our 1969-1995 Set. (Minus the Horn, of course)

Please bring them back Vikings!!

ponder-petersen.jpg

30221_PL_Vikings_61_79_3.png

This is a great example of one of those uniform details that I should hate in theory, but can't help but love for some reason anyway. Those colors just look cool to me, and I have no reasons that I can think of to back that opinion up. 

spacer.png

12 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

these uniforms are terrible.  And look even worse on TV.  Overall I think they look worse on the field than they did during the unveiling.  Easily a bottom 5 uniform set for me.

texans-titans-football-2270067125039bc6.jpg

While pretty much every other team goes minimalistic or throwbacks these days (rightfully) they decided to do the opposite and add a cluster:censored: of details... Weird pants panels, pointless armpits panels, double grey sword on the shoulders and helmets that look like something an XFL team would use and the font which is also an horrible mess. I'd have a very tough time choosing between Cleveland, Tampa and the Titans as my least favorite current set. Tennessee might very well be my 32nd though, these are putrid.

Lids released today the NFL Logo Elements exclusive cap line.

https://www.lids.com/nfl-logo-elements

Some good, some questionable.  Looks like they all come in alternate colors (Bucs in red and pewter, Seahawks in navy and green)

Some of the elements are nice (Bucs skull and flags, Steelers hypocycloids, Niners "SF") but some are really obscure (Broncos mane, Browns facemask, Rams face of ram)

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

Lids released today the NFL Logo Elements exclusive cap line.

https://www.lids.com/nfl-logo-elements

Some good, some questionable.  Looks like they all come in alternate colors (Bucs in red and pewter, Seahawks in navy and green)

Some of the elements are nice (Bucs skull and flags, Steelers hypocycloids, Niners "SF") but some are really obscure (Broncos mane, Browns facemask, Rams face of ram)

Most aren't great, but I like the Titans one.  Reminds me of this series of hats from the late 90'/early 00's.  I was a big fan.  They had some creative logos, and basically did a better job of what New Era is trying to do here.  I remember the Colts had their horseshoe logo sideways (to become a C) around an I.  Pretty clever stuff.

Image result for steve mcnair titans hat

90758391980.gif

A lot of these look like someone just selected a layer and clicked "Delete"

Denver Broncos New Era NFL Logo Elements Collection 59FIFTY CapCincinnati Bengals New Era NFL Logo Elements Collection 9FIFTY Snapback CapHouston Texans New Era NFL Logo Elements Collection 9FIFTY Snapback Cap

I also feel the "alternative" logos from the 90s were far superior to these. The only one I can easily find is the Patriots NE.  Some day we should try to compile all of them from that era

I like this one.  It is still recognizable and the front view raven doesn't get as much use as it should these days . . .

. . . and, as shown in my signature, I'm rather fond of it (though this is a slightly different version than that one).

hwl?set=sku%5B21017024%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

30 minutes ago, kimball said:

OH. MY. HEAVENS. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible.

Sure is. 

And it's not like the Browns don't have any other logos that could have been used instead.  Hell, they have a logo that fits this set already! :lol:

4409_cleveland_browns-alternate_on_dark-

Even with the helmet, they could have done something more interesting by keeping the helmet stripes at least.

Rt4Av6f.png

The worst hat in that collection (by far) is the Giants'. Just G-MEN? What?? An outlined NY (or just a G or something) would have been far better (though it's similar to the Jets' hat but both would be fine).

https://www.lids.com/new-york-giants-new-era-nfl-logo-elements-collection-59fifty-cap/21017051

With that said, I do like the idea of these hats, and glad they're in a stretch-fit.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived