NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

You’re missing a big factor: context. The Raiders’ identity and uniforms have been their look for over 50 years, with their pre-black/silver looks limited to a few years in the AFL.

The Jaguars’ redesign is the latest in a series of redesigns for them, with many of them incorporating stripes, gold, multiple outlines, and other features. Going in such a plain direction is part of why their reception has been mixed on the board and (I presume) among fans.

I hate the cliché of “if it came out today, x would have said y.” It negates the context of the original design and the context of any modern redesigns.

i dont think the Raiders uniform is good (maybe the best) just because its been around a long time. my argument has always been the Jags uni is good because there is potential for it to never change again. the problem with their past uniforms and why they've changed so  often is that there was never anything there that wasn't trendy and it dated quickly. building from the Raiders Minimal design principles, the Jags finally have a uniform that can become Raiders-like— it can stick around for 50 years without needing to change or looking tired. sure, they uni could use a gold stripe or two but, this is a team that has fairly dramatically changed their look every time they've done it; they're always "The New Jags". 

FFIW, i really like the black over teal look. good amount of their signature color without looking gaudy. looks like the new NFL trend is going to be colored pants. probably for the best, because Nike's white pants are too transparent.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

37 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i dont think the Raiders uniform is good (maybe the best) just because its been around a long time. my argument has always been the Jags uni is good because there is potential for it to never change again. the problem with their past uniforms and why they've changed so  often is that there was never anything there that wasn't trendy and it dated quickly. building from the Raiders Minimal design principles, the Jags finally have a uniform that can become Raiders-like— it can stick around for 50 years without needing to change or looking tired. sure, they uni could use a gold stripe or two but, this is a team that has fairly dramatically changed their look every time they've done it; they're always "The New Jags". 

FFIW, i really like the black over teal look. good amount of their signature color without looking gaudy. looks like the new NFL trend is going to be colored pants. probably for the best, because Nike's white pants are too transparent.

jags uni will be around <10 years...it's too plain and they don't have decades of tradition to keep it relevant...it's a trendy overcorrection to a trendy mess that they had before...the only classic look they have is from the fred taylor era and that was a modern classic.

14 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

So we are supposed to judge this specific uniform based on the fact that they’ve had a number of oversaturated redesigns in the past rather than looking at the current design by itself? That’s a slippery slope.

What I’m saying, in its simplest form, is that the Raiders have a great look. If they were the Jaguars in this (darkest) timeline (with a history of overdesigned uniforms in their 25-year existence) and introduced their current look today, we’d still be having this conversation.

I judge a uniform based on the best set in their history. The Fred Taylor set was by far the best, so everything the Jaguars have done since then will be judged by that set. The Jags last set was not bad at all from the neck down. So it really bothers me that all they needed to do was fix the helmet and keep the uniform and we wouldn't be having this discussion. But nope, Nike must make all new uniforms plain and boring these days. Why does Nike hate stripes? 

spacer.png

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

None of those are good examples. 

Counting white, Stanford and Michigan only have two colors so they utilize their whole pallet on every part of the uniform  

Counting white, ND has three, and their numbers are outlined so there’s some tie in to the pants, and their colors are represented on the main part of the uni. 

Counting white, Jax has 4, but the jerseys only have 2, while the pants only 1. They claim their main color is teal, but they have jerseys that contain only 0.000001% of it. It looks like they selected jerseys and pants from different bins in the equipment warehouse, and their helmets from yet another. 

Nobody hates them for being traditional - but traditional still needs to be done right, and they did not. So screw them and everyone associated with them, and their families too. Hell - screw their pets. 

I don't necessarily agree...but that post still deserved a like. 

4 hours ago, guest23 said:

jags uni will be around <10 years...it's too plain and they don't have decades of tradition to keep it relevant...it's a trendy overcorrection to a trendy mess that they had before...the only classic look they have is from the fred taylor era and that was a modern classic.

the team is pretty good now. what happens if they win a super bowl or two in the next few years?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The Jaguars uniform pieces are fine -- the issue is making the wrong combination decisions. 

The black, teal, and white uniforms look wonderful. All white is too bland. 

They need to stick to: 

black/teal/white, black/black/black, black/teal/teal for home

black/white/teal or black/white/black for road. 

2 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

The Jaguars uniform pieces are fine -- the issue is making the wrong combination decisions. 

The black, teal, and white uniforms look wonderful. All white is too bland. 

They need to stick to: 

black/teal/white, black/black/black, black/teal/teal for home

black/white/teal or black/white/black for road. 

My only issues with the uniforms (and most other Jags fans) is the lack of teal on the white set. I’d keep the numbers black, but change the stripes to teal. 

5 hours ago, guest23 said:

The Jaguars don’t have tradition so they can’t have traditional uniforms because they don’t have tradition so they can’t have traditional uniforms because they don’t have tradition so they can’t have traditional unifo

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

the team is pretty good now. what happens if they win a super bowl or two in the next few years?

The year is 2045. The Jaguars are celebrating their 50th anniversary. Or season or whatever.

They’ve won three Super Bowls. They’re wearing 2013-2017 throwbacks for their homecoming/alumni game. They beat the Las Vegas Raiders, who now wear gold Adidas techfit 9.0 jerseys. Can’t wait.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

5 hours ago, nuordr said:

Why does Nike hate stripes? 

Probably because all they’ve heard for the past fifteen years is how crappy traditional stripes look on a modern uniform and how inconsistent they are from player to player, then they try different approaches (stripes on the undergarments, non-traditional stripes, no stripes) and still get roasted. Tough crowd.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

23 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

I thought the Jaguars looked great in black helmets, black jerseys and teal pants (which I wouldn’t consider yoga pants, since they were worn over black socks). It’s a unique look because of the color, and I really like the minimalist design. Could use a splash of gold here and there, but I’m not sure the look would improve with number outlines or a pants stripe. I’d rather there be an emphasis on teal than gold any day of the week anyways.

I’m not sure you even need gold. Just add teal outlines to the numbers on the black and white jerseys (prefer teal numbers on white but I’ll settle for an outline) and black on the teal jersey.

black/teal stripe on white pants.

black/white stripe on teal pants.

white/teal striped on black pants. 

I apologize in advance if this has already been brought up. I noticed during the Rams game last week that Andrew Whitworth (LT) was wearing a gold Captain's patch. The gold Captain patch is used when a player has earned rank of Captain for 5 years or more. I found this strange because Whitworth has only been on the Rams for 2 seasons (this current season included).

oolxnhgcse3esox3qkt0.jpg

This whole thing made me realize that the captain's patch, and the # of (gold) stars associated with them carry over with the specific player. For example, I assumed Whitworth would only have 2 stars on his patch. But the patch seems to carry over all of his years as captain for the Bengals. Has this always been a thing? Why didn't Peyton's years of Captain carry over to the Broncos?

Sorry again if this has been brought up before, or if simply nobody cares. Thought it was interesting nonetheless. I'll go back under my rock now

1 hour ago, keyser.soze said:

I apologize in advance if this has already been brought up. I noticed during the Rams game last week that Andrew Whitworth (LT) was wearing a gold Captain's patch. The gold Captain patch is used when a player has earned rank of Captain for 5 years or more. I found this strange because Whitworth has only been on the Rams for 2 seasons (this current season included).

oolxnhgcse3esox3qkt0.jpg

This whole thing made me realize that the captain's patch, and the # of (gold) stars associated with them carry over with the specific player. For example, I assumed Whitworth would only have 2 stars on his patch. But the patch seems to carry over all of his years as captain for the Bengals. Has this always been a thing? Why didn't Peyton's years of Captain carry over to the Broncos?

Sorry again if this has been brought up before, or if simply nobody cares. Thought it was interesting nonetheless. I'll go back under my rock now

I think for Peyton it was because he missed a season due to injury so he lost his captain status for that year, so he would have needed to restart no matter if he stayed with the colts or not.

On 10/15/2018 at 6:07 PM, andrewharrington said:

Probably because all they’ve heard for the past fifteen years is how crappy traditional stripes look on a modern uniform and how inconsistent they are from player to player, then they try different approaches (stripes on the undergarments, non-traditional stripes, no stripes) and still get roasted. Tough crowd.

I think the question is why Nike hates (pants) stripes.. Pants have remained largely unchanged for all of football's history, and the ability to fit stripes on modern pants templates is no different than on vintage templates.. That argument really has only ever applied to sleeves, and the Jaguars don't have much history of sleeve stripes.. A little accent above the cuff is about as much as they've ever done in that department..

10 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I think the question is why Nike hates (pants) stripes.. Pants have remained largely unchanged for all of football's history, and the ability to fit stripes on modern pants templates is no different than on vintage templates.. That argument really has only ever applied to sleeves, and the Jaguars don't have much history of sleeve stripes.. A little accent above the cuff is about as much as they've ever done in that department..

Probably because they try so hard(not in the Jags case) to fit so many goofy design elements onto the jersey and helmet that the pants have to remain plain to balance it out.

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

Archived