NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

Whenever anybody says the plain Jaguars uniforms are traditional, show them this photo of Packers-Rams from 1962. Stripes. Multiple colors integrated throughout the set. Actual identities. 

Hell, today’s game is also a great example. 

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

Whenever anybody says the plain Jaguars uniforms are traditional, show them this photo of Packers-Rams from 1962. Stripes. Multiple colors integrated throughout the set. Actual identities. 

I think people are taking "traditional" a little too seriously when it comes to the Jags' new uniforms. Their uniforms obviously aren't meant to look exactly like something out the 1960's. Nothing about it suggests that.

Maybe a better way of looking at it is as a modern take of traditional. "Modern retro". It's certainly more traditional than the last set. All it needs is a bit more distribution of teal, and it's fine.

2 hours ago, daveindc said:

I think people are taking "traditional" a little too seriously when it comes to the Jags' new uniforms. Their uniforms obviously aren't meant to look exactly like something out the 1960's. Nothing about it suggests that.

Maybe a better way of looking at it is as a modern take of traditional. "Modern retro". It's certainly more traditional than the last set. All it needs is a bit more distribution of teal, and it's fine.

There is nothing traditional about the jaguars uniforms. They are plain and basic, having the aesthetic of practice uniforms.

5 hours ago, umlegend1980 said:

Saw that today.  Thought the initials and the flag together kinda felt like golf.  It's nice to put this together so quickly to honor him though.

That was my first thought when I saw it.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/12/watch-tom-coughlin-discusses-the-significance-of-the-jags-new-uniforms/amp/

“To a player, the uniforms mean everything,” said Coughlin. “It took a conglomerate of ideas as we put together designs which were brought back to us and we yay or nayed a whole bunch of things to get to what we wanted to be a traditional, classic, distinctive National Football League uniform that could be related to. When you see that uniform it says we are the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League.”

What the Rams and Packers had in 1962 and wore today fits Coughlin’s vision. What the Jags have now is nowhere close. 

3 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/12/watch-tom-coughlin-discusses-the-significance-of-the-jags-new-uniforms/amp/

“To a player, the uniforms mean everything,” said Coughlin. “It took a conglomerate of ideas as we put together designs which were brought back to us and we yay or nayed a whole bunch of things to get to what we wanted to be a traditional, classic, distinctive National Football League uniform that could be related to. When you see that uniform it says we are the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League.”

What the Rams and Packers had in 1962 and wore today fits Coughlin’s vision. What the Jags have now is nowhere close. 

That's just a nice way of saying "we don't have those crazy looking uniforms anymore". 

If they really wanted uniforms that looked like it was designed in the 1960's, they would've went with that. It's really not that hard. Just slap some of those old fashioned stripes on the sleeves and pants and there ya go. That's the main difference between the Jags uni and the Rams and Packers in that pic. That's clearly not what they wanted no matter what words Coughlin chose to use. Add a little more teal, and the Jags look is just fine.

10 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

There was football played before 1962 and by teams that didn’t have stripes on their uniforms. Not sure why people think they’re an essential design element.

Because without stripes, football uniforms are boring.

The Jags pants actually do have stripes: at the cuffs. The could stand to be wider but when they work they actually manage to break up the leotard effect. 

Also it should be noted that the Jags actually went Color Rash yesterday. No whites or stripes on the socks. Effectively this means the black jersey is the alternate. Teal primary! As the uniform gods intended. 

15 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

There was football played before 1962 and by teams that didn’t have stripes on their uniforms. Not sure why people think they’re an essential design element.

Football was also once played without facemasks... Doesn't mean it was a good idea 

Just now, WavePunter said:

Football was also once played without facemasks... Doesn't mean it was a good idea 

Actually, playing the game without facemasks would reduce the desire to tackle while leading with your head, limiting concussions and brain damage down the road... but that conversation is for another time. 

However, I’m more so just pointing out the fact that there were teams in existence during and before the era posted (1962) that looked good without stripes. There are still teams that look good without stripes, too.

I'm over the Jags' uniforms and channeling all of that frustration and dislike to the Titans. If we're going to act like a mob to uniforms let's fight the true offenders together.

40529200354_e9185a5bfd_k.jpg

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived