NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

1 hour ago, Broken Record said:

These flame helmets have been circulating for years, but if they're going drastic, I could see something like this one. Probably with a leotard with flames from head to toe.

Strunk has done a good job of staying tight lipped.

2ldj21j.jpg

We only have a handful of teams that don’t use their primary logo on the helmets. The most recent one to do so I can think of is the Bengals, and that was a long time ago. 

The NFL doesn’t allow alternate helmets because they don’t want teams to dilute their brands. I wonder how the league would feel about a team taking its primary logo off the helmet in favor of some abstract design?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

We only have a handful of teams that don’t use their primary logo on the helmets. The most recent one to do so I can think of is the Bengals, and that was a long time ago. 

The NFL doesn’t allow alternate helmets because they don’t want teams to dilute their brands. I wonder how the league would feel about a team taking its primary logo off the helmet in favor of some abstract design?

Good points. I'm trying to remember about the Bengals. When they changed helmet designs, did they even have a primary logo, I mean, other than just mailbox sticker letters slapped on a Browns helmet?

1 minute ago, Broken Record said:

Good points. I'm trying to remember about the Bengals. When they changed helmet designs, did they even have a primary logo, I mean, other than just mailbox sticker letters slapped on a Browns helmet?

They basically didn't. Their logo up until 1980 was an orange helmet in profile with the lettering on the side. In 1981 they went to this, which had stripes that were slightly different than what actually went on the helmets

r6f8p594dpi92pcsg5ushqz5w.gif

They used some version of a helmet as their primary logo until 1997 when the tiger head and leaping tiger logos were brought in. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Just saw this tweet from yesterday. This is from longtime Jaguars beat guy Mark Long, who also confirmed that the two-tone Jags helmets are indeed going away.

https://twitter.com/APMarkLong/status/955507769775452160

This discredits that whole rumor from earlier in this thread about the Jaguars going with gold helmets with JAGS on them, gold pants, and a UCLA-like look. 

7 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

They basically didn't. Their logo up until 1980 was an orange helmet in profile with the lettering on the side. In 1981 they went to this, which had stripes that were slightly different than what actually went on the helmets

r6f8p594dpi92pcsg5ushqz5w.gif

They used some version of a helmet as their primary logo until 1997 when the tiger head and leaping tiger logos were brought in. 

Good point.  So let’s set them aside, since theyre a sort of Browns-like anomaly (that Paul Brown, man). 

If you want to find the last time a team introduced a helmet logo different than their primary logo, it’s the Vikings in 1961, right?  The Eagles’ wing goes back to the 1950s, and the Rams’ helmet to the 40s.  Would be most unusual for an NFL club to do it today. 

11 hours ago, ColeJ said:

my predictions:

Jags are going to actually look pretty respectable for the first time in a long time. I'd guess a lot of teal/gold finally, and less black. Hopefully less military-themed silliness, but I doubt it.

Titans are going to be like the Oregon Ducks of the NFL. It's gonna make the Seahawks look like the Raiders, but probably less clownish than the Browns. I don't expect a ton of TITANS wordmarks covering their pant stripes or anything.

As a Titans fan, I'm a excited but nervous. I'm also expecting a shift of the color balance, and I fear a demotion of columbia blue. As a former Oilers fan, I don't want the columbia to get buried. A ton of columbia blue, chrome, actual Athenian style cues, and a million mix-and-match options is my best-realistic-case scenario... Navy, grey, and red, flame patterns, and design cues taken more from the Tennessee state flag than anything Titan related is my worst-realistic-case scenario.

I have a feeling there's gonna be a lot of chrome and a lot of college-football futuristic madness going on... but hey, we aren't the Packers. We can be a little goofy, because it's not like anyone really cares about our team anyway. Sell two-tone blue Oregon Ducks jerseys with Mariota on the back, and just be happy people remember we're a franchise.

Not to nitpick, but i feel like oregon's uniforms as of late have been pretty tame, even the mariota era jersey, outside of shiny shoulders and chrome helmet accents...were very tame. They weren't covered in piping and stripes and loud sublimated patterns on everything. 

I get that oregon is associated with crazy uniforms bc they started all of the popular trends, were one of the first to heavily mix and match, but i feel like in *most* instances they utilized elements well. I think they learned their lesson after the diamond plate madness. 

Does anyone here think the NFL will eventually switch to the white at home uniform rule?

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

3 minutes ago, buzzcut said:

Does anyone here think the NFL will eventually switch to the white at home uniform rule?

No, there's a reason the NHL switched to dark at home after the lockout in 2005 and a reason the NBA is slowly moving to dark at home with the recent Nike redesign. 

The dark jerseys sell more and fans want to rep the colors of their team more (not to mention they less chance of a stain showing on the jersey). Hence, the whole COLOR RUSH deal. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, buzzcut said:

I hope not. I'd actually prefer the MLS/soccer style where teams just have a primary and a secondary. Then teams can choose white as their primary if they want, but it also allows for color vs color matchups.

Serious question - can fans in New Orleans sue the NBA because they were duped into supporting a team that actually was piling up stats that belonged to Charlotte? The league essentially said that the franchise the fans thought they were buying tickets for wasn’t really who they thought they were, since the games they spent money on were for a team that they were just keeping warm until the pelicans started up “from scratch”.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, Pizzaman7294 said:

No, there's a reason the NHL switched to dark at home after the lockout in 2005 and a reason the NBA is slowly moving to dark at home with the recent Nike redesign. 

The dark jerseys sell more and fans want to rep the colors of their team more (not to mention they less chance of a stain showing on the jersey). Hence, the whole COLOR RUSH deal. 

But not all Color Rush jerseys were color (Saints, Giants, Raiders)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Serious question - can fans in New Orleans sue the NBA because they were duped into supporting a team that actually was piling up stats that belonged to Charlotte? The league essentially said that the franchise the fans thought they were buying tickets for wasn’t really who they thought they were, since the games they spent money on were for a team that they were just keeping warm until the pelicans started up “from scratch”.

Unless you can prove the Hornets/Bobcats/Pelicans deal was in the works on Day 1 of the Hornets playing in New Orleans, then no. And even then, a lot of ex-post factors would derail any well-meaning lawsuit.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

18 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm not sure associating the Browns' brand/legacy/records with the current expansion team was the best thing for said brand in the long run. No one thinks of the undefeated AAFC run, the pre-SB NFL Championships, Jim Brown, or the 80s contenders when they think of the Cleveland Browns anymore. They think hapless coaching, mismanagement, the endless QB jersey, the Factory of Sadness, and 0-16.

But that’s not because of the move. I was born in 1995 and I didn’t even know the Browns were actually an expansion team until like three years ago. Why would I? Same uniforms, city, name, etc. And I KNOW my football! 

It’s the same argument as saying that nobody associates the Washington NFL team with its three Super Bowl wins anymore because they’ve been a consistent Raljon dumpster fire since basically the same time period. 

I mean, yeah, I’ve never seen them reach an NFC Championship game but I still KNOW that it’s the same franchise. Just like I Know I Know the Browns team that just went 0-16 is the same franchise as Jim Brown’s Browns.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

4 hours ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Just saw this tweet from yesterday. This is from longtime Jaguars beat guy Mark Long, who also confirmed that the two-tone Jags helmets are indeed going away.

https://twitter.com/APMarkLong/status/955507769775452160

This discredits that whole rumor from earlier in this thread about the Jaguars going with gold helmets with JAGS on them, gold pants, and a UCLA-like look. 

I don't even think that could be characterized as a rumor. A rumor has to have at least one person believe the B.S. 

4 hours ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

Sure, but all three of those were throwbacks

Eagles wore

white over white for color rush 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Anything that happened while they were in New Orleans still belongs the the Pelicans. The Pelicans franchise is now established in 2002 so the new orleans hornets stats and records belong to the pelicans. Anything that happened before in Charlotte reverted to the new Hornets/Bobcats.

http://www.nba.com/hornets/charlotte-hornets-name-returns-carolinas

Archived