NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

14 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

In this ESPN article from five years ago, it is stated that Dr. Robert Cantu found CTE in only half of the brains of CFL players that he examined, as opposed to 85% of brains of NFL players.  The article notes the small sample size (only six brains of CFL players).  Still, the difference is striking.

The probable reason for the CFL version's lesser toll on players' brains is in the rules, especially the one-yard gap between the offensive and defensive lines at the line of scrimmage.  Also, the CFL has outlawed full-contact practices with pads, thereby dramatically lessening the occasions of the sub-concussive blows that can accumulate to cause CTE.

Let's put this into context for a second though; that is a very recent development. One that was decided on this year, well past the mid way point. 

I agree it will probably lessen the chances of CTE but it hasn't been in play long enough to determine anything at this point. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:
27 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The probable reason for the CFL version's lesser toll on players' brains is in the rules, especially the one-yard gap between the offensive and defensive lines at the line of scrimmage.  Also, the CFL has outlawed full-contact practices with pads, thereby dramatically lessening the occasions of the sub-concussive blows that can accumulate to cause CTE.

Let's put this into context for a second though; that is a very recent development. One that was decided on this year, well past the mid way point. 

I agree it will probably lessen the chances of CTE but it hasn't been in play long enough to determine anything at this point. 

Ah, that's true.  The recent change in practice rules will help players going forward, but is certainly is not connected to any results seen in the brains that have already been studied.

Sorry for the sloppy placement of that factor in the same paragraph as the mention of the long-established factor of the one-yard gap at the line of scrimmage.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

In this ESPN article from five years ago, it is stated that Dr. Robert Cantu found CTE in only half of the brains of CFL players that he examined, as opposed to 85% of brains of NFL players.  The article notes the small sample size (only six brains of CFL players).  Still, the difference is striking.

Yes it is.  But given the small sample size, it's only a point of interest, not a conclusion.   We certainly can't determine that the Canadian game is safer based on only six brains.

And I say this as someone who desperately wants to believe that rule changes can indeed make the game safer to play.

It could also be that Canadian brains are just different than southern ones, since there's probably a layer of insulation under the skull to keep the brain warm during those frigid northern winters.  I'd be willing to bet that if you put a handful of Canadian players in the NFL, they'd have less CTE than their American peers at the same positions.  It's simple biology.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It could also be that Canadian brains are just different than southern ones, since there's probably a layer of insulation under the skull to keep the brain warm during those frigid northern winters.  I'd be willing to bet that if you put a handful of Canadian players in the NFL, they'd have less CTE than their American peers at the same positions.  It's simple biology.

Don't forget the protective haircuts.

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Yes it is.  But given the small sample size, it's only a point of interest, not a conclusion.   We certainly can't determine that the Canadian game is safer based on only six brains.

And I say this as someone who desperately wants to believe that rule changes can indeed make the game safer to play.

I have to think that certain aspects of Canadian gridiron outlined by Ferdinand, like no full contact in practices and keeping the offensive and defensive lines apart by a yard, certainly can’t hurt in the battle to make gridiron football safer for those who play it. 

Are they factors that will make the game significantly safer? Only time will tell. 

I have to think the NFL should at least consider adopting these measures to find out though. At least try to do something instead of stonewalling research and while lying to their own employees.

20 hours ago, bowld said:

Jax is confirmed changing uniforms. 

Have heard rumors of Tennessee and Denver but nothing concrete. 

Anyone else? 

Interesting, first I'd heard of Denver.  I wonder if this is an update of the striping design, or something more-dramatic a la that memorable subreddit post from four years ago that talked about making the Broncos the "Oregon of the NFL" (remember this? -- https://www.milehighreport.com/2014/2/6/5385952/out-with-the-orange-is-a-new-broncos-uniform-design-in-the-works ).

Well, we're still waiting for the Saints overhaul that somebody was on here swearing about years ago, and of course, Dallas' chrome helmets.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It's the extra cushioning from the toques they wear under their helmets.

Is the correlation that new helmets directly relate to more cases of CTE?  If that’s the case, then how does the NFL excuse when teams get new head-to-toe uniforms, or when rookies wear their new teams’ helmets for the first time? ?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Indeed.

And what of a player who switch teams mid season? They have no problem with those players wearing another helmet, I did not see James Harrison wearing a black lid with the flying Elvis this week.

Surely if the one helmet rule is imperative to player safety, then logical the helmet should be a neutral colour, a piece of equipment separate from the uniform, which could be worn at any team in any league.

This clearly is not the case, so it seems obvious that this rule is utter nonsense.

Overall, the one helmet rule (in theory) reduces the chances of concussions in >90% of players (since not many switch teams mid season), and 90>0. 

In theory. 

Edit- do we know for sure that they don’t repaint the helmets in the case of a mid-season move?

I am friends with a helmet re-conditioner.  He says that the major colleges have 2 helmets.  A practice helmet and a game helmet.  The game helmet gets re-painted and checked for structural defects (cracks, etc.) each week during the season.  Thus, the range of colors, patterns, etc....   So, what we are saying is that the NFL will not allow a practice helmet and a game helmet.  Not from an expense approach.....but from a liability approach.

6 hours ago, Chawls said:

Is the correlation that new helmets directly relate to more cases of CTE?  If that’s the case, then how does the NFL excuse when teams get new head-to-toe uniforms, or when rookies wear their new teams’ helmets for the first time? ?

No, that's not how it works.

Paul Lukas had a pretty good FAQ about the rule a couple years back.  It's worth reading.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

No, that's not how it works.

Paul Lukas had a pretty good FAQ about the rule a couple years back.  It's worth reading.

C'mon, Goth, no one's going to read that.  They'd rather just come on here and rail about the "rediculus (sic) one helmet rule"... "but, but... what about colleges??"

Archived