NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

12 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Vikings are the only team that uses a satin finish in the NFL.  Many college teams use it, like Michigan State, Michigan, Illinois, and Syracuse. The Eagles would probably look pretty good with a satin finish.

Seahawks use an eggshell finish, which is shiny but not glossy. Arizona State has an eggshell finish too.  

Funny, because in home painting, eggshell is basically matte - in between matte and satin.  Are you sure? Then above satin is semi-gloss then high gloss.

Is there anywhere that shows helmets in each of the finishes under the same lighting conditions?  I'm no longer sure that I understand what we're talking about when we use these terms.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's make a list of the "official" finishes, with definitions and examples.  I'm getting these categories from 1) sporting goods helmet order form, and 2) adding satin in since that seems to be rather esoteric.

1. Flat/Matte - according to Riddell "Sometimes referred to as "flat," a matte helmet color is a paint finish with an added dulling agent to reduce shine and luster"

s-l300.jpg

2. Satin - (need better definition) - less dull than matte, shows some light reflection, but not glossy.

182-1395430-1.jpg

3.  Standard (I'm assuming this is what we would define as semi-gloss?) (I really thought there was a less-glossy finish than this, but I can't find evidence of it) - need good definition

vengeance_vtd_ii_shell_scarlet.jpg

4.  Metallic - has metal flakes in the paint to enhance shine and reflection

nfl-new-york-giants-chicago-bears.jpg&c=

5.  HGI Hydroskin - all kinds of wacky finishes / designs applied by HGI http://hydrographicsinc.com/hydroskin/

notredamehgi.jpg 03e6ea2155bc808694b28c084d6dec17.jpg

6.  Chrome - self explanatory.

Alabama_Crimson_2015_National_Champs_Chr

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What about the stock molded plastic colors? That style dominated from the late 70's up to the late 90's and is still used by a handful of teams that never bothered to change

.s-l300.jpg

Then you have the steelers which I believe is some sort of hybrid between molded plastic and paint but I'm not sure. It's a very dull shine.

0007271_pittsburgh-steelers-11-markus-wh

That's it!  That Steelers is exactly what I was thinking about when I said less-glossy than gloss.  That's how my HS helmet was.  IMO, that's what I would consider "standard", and what the catalog calls "standard" I'd call "gloss."

What's that called, and do other teams in NFL use that?  "Molded plastic" doesn't seem right - does that mean the plastic itself is colored?  I thought it was clear and they were painted from the inside?

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's it!  That Steelers is exactly what I was thinking about when I said less-glossy than gloss.  That's how my HS helmet was.  IMO, that's what I would consider "standard", and what the catalog calls "standard" I'd call "gloss."

What's that called, and do other teams in NFL use that?  "Molded plastic" doesn't seem right - does that mean the plastic itself is colored?  I thought it was clear and they were painted from the inside?

The Steelers is a funny one. I’ve always assumed that was the plastic color without an additional paint or gloss layer. The red helmet you showed I’m fairly sure has an additional clear gloss coat on top

shiftin to paint options, you can also add in pearl which the Dolphins and I’m sure other white helmets used at one point. Also do the Packers have a pearl paint too? Or did they?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

To clarify molded plastic is when colored dye is put into the polycarbonate while it is in liquid form. It's then injected into the mold and once the hardening/finishing is done no additional coloring is performed. The color is literally embedded into the plastic. All of the other finishes (paint, chrome etc.) are exterior and applied to the shell as a cosmetic finish.  In the nfl good examples (90% confident) of the molded plastic color shells would be the chiefs and bears.

6 minutes ago, guest23 said:

To clarify molded plastic is when colored dye is put into the polycarbonate while it is in liquid form. It's then injected into the mold and once the hardening/finishing is done no additional coloring is performed. The color is literally embedded into the plastic. All of the other finishes (paint, chrome etc.) are exterior and applied to the shell as a cosmetic finish.  In the nfl good examples (90% confident) of the molded plastic color shells would be the chiefs and bears.

Chiefs are pearl. Bears have a gloss finish.  I think the Steelers are the only team with standard molded plastic finish.

6573304.jpg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Chiefs are pearl. Bears have a gloss finish.  I think the Steelers are the only team with standard molded plastic finish.

6573304.jpg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

I stand corrected. Are the pearl or gloss done on top of a team color shell or do they start with a generic primer color shell like light gray then paint the team color over?

What’s diffeeence between pearl and metallic?

im fairly certain I recall reading on UW a few years ago that the packers switched to metallic. 

55 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

What’s diffeeence between pearl and metallic?

im fairly certain I recall reading on UW a few years ago that the packers switched to metallic. 

Metallic paint uses aluminum slivers, whereas pearl paint uses bits of mica (which makes it slightly more opaque than a clear glossy coat).

On 2/9/2018 at 12:03 PM, canzman said:

Here is what I know of:

Jaguars - uniform change including helmet. Logo not changing to my knowledge.
Titans - uniform change. Logo not changing to my knowledge.
Dolphins - just changing the shade of one of thier colors but no other changes to my knowledge
Steelers - New throwback
49ers - New pant option

Have not seen any of the changes but these are the changes I know of.

This kind of implies the Titans helmet won't change. I imagine that wasn't your intent, but can you confirm?

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Metallic paint uses aluminum slivers, whereas pearl paint uses bits of mica (which makes it slightly more opaque than a clear glossy coat).

pearl also appears to have multiple colors (or the illusion of) in it as well, no?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1 minute ago, BrandMooreArt said:

pearl also appears to have multiple colors (or the illusion of) in it as well, no?

Indeed it can, because of the refraction of light. However, in my experience, it seems like the effect is somewhat limited on vehicles that have pearl white paint, for reasons I'm not sure. 

On 2/10/2018 at 8:47 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

oh I didn't realize that was what we're calling "satin".  Looks kinda mattey to me. Are there any other "satin"s out there?  I wouldn't mind seeing an Eagles concept with that finish too.

I thought "satin" was like a glossy but not shiny finish, if that makes any sense.  I think there are different levels of gloss, or at least reflection.  Is it just layers of clearcoat that do that?

I think "matte" is overused to simply mean "not glossy" when there are, like you say, varying degrees of glossiness. It's better to think of it like paint:

Flat is a better term than matte. This shows no real highlights, just a smooth gradient from the shadow to the lit areas.

Satin shows definite highlights, but they are softened, like the Utah image you posted.

Molded colors are fairly glossy, particularly when new. You can see pretty crisp highlights in these, like semi-gloss or even gloss paint.

Gloss finishes are like a typical car clear coat. When you look into it, it's got crisp highlights and a defined reflection, but in the tone of the helmet color.

Chrome is like a mirror, obviously, but can be tinted to take the tone of a certain color. Darker blacks and whiter whites in these reflections.

11 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

There are older helmet models that were clear shells with the graphics and color applied internally. It's been decades since those have been used, though.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 2/10/2018 at 2:03 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

While I'm more of a fan of shiny materials and helmets, considering the flat material that Nike is using for the uniforms, I wouldn't mind seeing an Eagles concept with a matte helmet.  I think their jerseys, more so than most other teams, look awkwardly flat considering the shine on the helmet.

Made a matte finish Eagles concept a few years ago. I liked the idea of it, but when it actually came to fruition, I was kind of like, "Meh"...

eagles_kelly.jpg

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

17 minutes ago, HailGoldPants said:

Made a matte finish Eagles concept a few years ago. I liked the idea of it, but when it actually came to fruition, I was kind of like, "Meh"...

eagles_kelly.jpg

The silver facemask could comeback tomorrow, though. Looks good on the Lions' new helmets, looks good here.

37 minutes ago, HailGoldPants said:

eagles_kelly.jpg

Honestly, I prefer that to the current helmet by a factor of about 10, just based on color alone.

39 minutes ago, HailGoldPants said:

eagles_kelly.jpg

I think this looks ok, but it shows the biggest issue I have with non-glossy finishes.  The decal is most definitely glossy, yet the helmet isn't. It isn't UNIFORM. I guess I would have less issue if the decal were also flat, but then I'd just say it was ugly with less objective reason.

It's where I sit.

Needs to be midnight green. Those wings don’t work well on kelly. It’s arguable that they even work on the MG. 

Archived