NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Is the "hydroskin" aspect just the detail in the middle "stripe"?

This is just a mini helmet, but the "Stripe" actually looks like a decal, but the finish on the helmet does appear satin.  Never noticed that before.

ff_2517560_full.jpg&w=600

Technically that's a full size helmet (you can tell by the facemask size and the oval Riddell sticker at the temple)...but the Seahawks have more sheen than a typical satin helmet.

I always knew it as eggshell, but I suppose it's more soft gloss or semi gloss. 

USATSI_10400697-1068x712.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Cosmic said:

It doesn't show up as much as the Giants' metallic whatever does, but it's definitely there for the Packers. It was a real mind-blower when I first noticed it. I think it's most noticeable during night games, personally.

672d98a783304572e505394773b6955e--aaron-

there's a possibility that this is just a yellow shell with a metallic flake clear coat, although some of the flakes look fine enough to be in the paint as well.. or it could be a combination of the two.. that's something that many are forgetting - combining different types of paints and clear coats can give different finish effects.. for example, riddell uses matte paint while schutt uses standard paint with a matte clear coat..

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Is the "hydroskin" aspect just the detail in the middle "stripe"?

This is just a mini helmet, but the "Stripe" actually looks like a decal, but the finish on the helmet does appear satin.  Never noticed that before.

ff_2517560_full.jpg&w=600

pretty sure they mean the finish of the helmet, which may be why its somewhere in between satin and gloss. from there, i beleieve they started adding metallic paint (what i though was MIN and TB) with a Hydroskin finish. its possible that "hydroskin" has a few variations under it too

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

2 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

pretty sure they mean the finish of the helmet, which may be why its somewhere in between satin and gloss. from there, i beleieve they started adding metallic paint (what i though was MIN and TB) with a Hydroskin finish. its possible that "hydroskin" has a few variations under it too

i'm almost certain that TB is a standard gloss metallic pewter paint, MIN is a typical satin, and the seahawks actually appear to be what riddell categorizes as its "special high gloss" colors, which have several matte colors (doesn't make sense, i know).. for example, in this particular section, they have "ultra flat black", "flat navy", etc.. i'm guessing they are either using a high gloss paint with a "special" flat clear coat (similar to schutt), or some variation - because calling their matte colors "special high gloss" and "flat" is sort of counterintuitive..

1 minute ago, WavePunter said:

i'm almost certain that TB is a standard gloss metallic pewter paint, MIN is a typical satin, and the seahawks actually appear to be what riddell categorizes as its "special high gloss" colors, which have several matte colors (doesn't make sense, i know).. for example, in this particular section, they have "ultra flat black", "flat navy", etc.. i'm guessing they are either using a high gloss paint with a "special" flat clear coat (similar to schutt), or some variation - because calling their matte colors "special high gloss" and "flat" is sort of counterintuitive..

Is it possible the Seahawks order a finish that isn't on a standard order form? Completely custom? (Of course, Arizona State uses the same finish on the sunflower gold lids).

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

Is it possible the Seahawks order a finish that isn't on a standard order form? Completely custom? (Of course, Arizona State uses the same finish on the sunflower gold lids).

it's certainly possible, but i doubt it's something COMPLETELY custom.. i truly think, at most, it's just a creative combination of standard offerings

4 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

You're forgetting about the cannonball marks! They're the best part!

Those are just ear holes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

33 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

You're forgetting about the cannonball marks! They're the best part!

Those were removed after preseason of the first year of the helmets!

23 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

Yeah i was going through the HGI site and basically every helmet they produce falls under "Hydroskin" or "Hydrochrome". So i guess Hydroskin is more of a process as opposed to a certain finish. 

10 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

Yeah i was going through the HGI site and basically every helmet they produce falls under "Hydroskin" or "Hydrochrome". So i guess Hydroskin is more of a process as opposed to a certain finish. 

Hydroskin is a film that is floated on top of water, then sprayed with an "activator" chemical, then the helmet is dipped into the water, and the film "wraps" the helmet.. The best analogies I can think of are those temporary film tattoos that kids like to put on their arms and faces

Archived