Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, joekono said:

Sorry but the 49ers fall into "don't touch the classic" uniform column for me. I was happy when they got rid of BFBS(and fixed the stripes).

The black-trimmed uniforms were the best they ever looked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they hadn’t darkened the red to a purplish cranberry, I might agree with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 9'ers and Eagles checked all the same boxes in '96:

  • Darkened primary color
  • More detailed primary logo
  • Tertiary integration of black
  • Extra logos on the sleeves
  • Drop shadows & extra number details

 

I have always attributed these changes to the 90's merch boom and teams' desire to mutate jerseys into merchandise. The 9ers didn't seem to need the same logo on their uniforms four times until jerseys became fashionable.

 

Maybe the same cyclical nature that "brought vintage back" in the 00's/10's has people fondly remembering 90's sets today, but, in my opinion, both looks were (or are, in Philly's case) simple sign-of-the-times 90's gimmicks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

The 9'ers and Eagles checked all the same boxes in '96:

  • Darkened primary color
  • More detailed primary logo
  • Tertiary integration of black
  • Extra logos on the sleeves
  • Drop shadows & extra number details

 

I have always attributed these changes to the 90's merch boom and teams' desire to mutate jerseys into merchandise. The 9ers didn't seem to need the same logo on their uniforms four times until jerseys became fashionable.

 

Maybe the same cyclical nature that "brought vintage back" in the 00's/10's has people fondly remembering 90's sets today, but, in my opinion, both looks were (or are, in Philly's case) simple sign-of-the-times 90's gimmicks.

The Eagles made some of those changes in the 80s.

636119194340550064-AP-811583241525.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, joekono said:

Sorry but the 49ers fall into "don't touch the classic" uniform column for me. I was happy when they got rid of BFBS(and fixed the stripes).

They need to incorporate gold in their uniforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

They need to incorporate gold in their uniforms.

 

Gold pants, gold helmet.  The uniforms already have a lot of gold. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, joekono said:

Sorry but the 49ers fall into "don't touch the classic" uniform column for me. I was happy when they got rid of BFBS(and fixed the stripes).

 

I have to disagree...49ers did not add BFBS as black had long been part of their primary logo.  They expanded the usage of black but it was not an "add" to their existing scheme.  IMHO, I understand why people think the 90s unis were overdone, but those uniforms actually fixed the things about the 49ers set that always bugged me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, C-Squared said:

The 9'ers and Eagles checked all the same boxes in '96:

  • Darkened primary color
  • More detailed primary logo
  • Tertiary integration of black
  • Extra logos on the sleeves
  • Drop shadows & extra number details

 

I have always attributed these changes to the 90's merch boom and teams' desire to mutate jerseys into merchandise. The 9ers didn't seem to need the same logo on their uniforms four times until jerseys became fashionable.

 

Maybe the same cyclical nature that "brought vintage back" in the 00's/10's has people fondly remembering 90's sets today, but, in my opinion, both looks were (or are, in Philly's case) simple sign-of-the-times 90's gimmicks.

I'll agree that the darker red and sleeve logos were completely unnecessary, but the expanded use of black and extra number/logo detail were tastefully done and looked great imo.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 49ers were one of the teams that did BFBS "right" in that they didn't just slap black onto a pre-existing design. They actually re-worked everything to integrate it. I would even say that it would have been a great look had they kept the original, brighter shade of the red. The darker red they changed to just left everything feeling muddled.

 

That said? The current look/Montana look is the best they've ever had. The 75th Anniversary throwbacks are a close second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

The 49ers were one of the teams that did BFBS "right" in that they didn't just slap black onto a pre-existing design. They actually re-worked everything to integrate it. I would even say that it would have been a great look had they kept the original, brighter shade of the red. The darker red they changed to just left everything feeling muddled.

 

That said? The current look/Montana look is the best they've ever had. The 75th Anniversary throwbacks are a close second.

The current look is held back a bit by the various sleeve-striping issues (cut off at first, now too thick and untrue to the original) and the modernized version of the logo containing too much black and looking almost too modern for the vintage look of the uniform, imo.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of ya’ll are crazy. If I can’t see that candy apple red in the bright California sun, then it’s not the 49ers.

 

082516-RiceYoung-TB.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

Gold pants, gold helmet.  The uniforms already have a lot of gold. 😉

Meant the jerseys my bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have more information that will come to light very soon and hopefully provide me with credibility here moving forward. For the NFL’s Color Rush, each team will have two options to wear on Thursday Night Football in a solid color and a white color set in the case of clashes. You’ve already seen the Patriots add white pants and guessed the Niners will as well, but the Steelers are also getting white pants and several teams are adding alternate white pants as well.

 

The really big news out of this though is that the NFL will allow pieces from these Color Rush sets to be mixed and matched throughout the season. Get ready to see Teams like the Packers, Patriots, Steelers, and Niners wear white pants with their home look, or teams like the Broncos and Browns blending their Color Rush uniforms with white pants. And the most trivial but probably first noticeable change is that white socks are no longer mandatory as long as the team is wearing the same color socks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well with what the jaguars are supposidly doing and with what the lions recentlly.

 

Also the No outline for no outline sake trend (lions, now the jaguars supposidly) is more annoying to me then the black trend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Well with what the jaguars are supposidly doing and with what the lions recentlly.

 

Also the No outline for no outline sake trend (lions, now the jaguars supposidly) is more annoying to me then the black trend.

Lions do have an outline for their numbers. The contrast isn't great, but there is one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DeFrank said:

51311608-falcons-v-49ers.jpg.jpg

 

the best thr 49ers have ever looked. 

These and the 2000s Dolphins set were great uniforms for the time. If they were used today, they would look dated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DeFrank said:

51311608-falcons-v-49ers.jpg.jpg

 

the best thr 49ers have ever looked. 

 

Nope.  Even if you don't deduct points from these simply for replacing an absolute classic (and you should), you can see two unforgivable elements in this picture alone;

 

1.  The helmet and pants are a match in color, but a mismatch in stripes.

2.  Extreme logo creep... the helmet, PLUS the sleeves, PLUS the pants. Hell, just throw the logo onto the socks, while your at it.

 

Also, something I've always wondered... is the black edge at the bottom of the jersey stripes supposed to be a shadow?  A stripe shadow?  Bizarre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DanParker said:

 

The really big news out of this though is that the NFL will allow pieces from these Color Rush sets to be mixed and matched throughout the season. Get ready to see Teams like the Packers, Patriots, Steelers, and Niners wear white pants with their home look, or teams like the Broncos and Browns blending their Color Rush uniforms with white pants. And the most trivial but probably first noticeable change is that white socks are no longer mandatory as long as the team is wearing the same color socks.

 

Ummm... not sure this really counts as "news";

 

USATSI_10471605_168384674_lowres.jpg?w=9

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now