NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

2 hours ago, DanParker said:

I have more information that will come to light very soon and hopefully provide me with credibility here moving forward. For the NFL’s Color Rush, each team will have two options to wear on Thursday Night Football in a solid color and a white color set in the case of clashes.

The really big news out of this though is that the NFL will allow pieces from these Color Rush sets to be mixed and matched throughout the season.

Neither of these are new revelations. And they don’t do anything do bolster your credibility. 

You said yourself, the Patriots have already worn all white, so have the Packers.

We also know that teams can pretty much change up their pants on a whim, as evidence by when the Ravens wore the mustard gold pants that basically nobody knew even existed. (Edit: Completely forgot about the Cowboys monstrosities. Good catch, Oldschoolvikings)

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, C-Squared said:

The possibility of the Bills completing their 80's Pats metamorphosis in red jerseys with white pants is the non-Jags/Titans rumor this board deserves.

My father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate is the equipment manager, and he showed me a prototype silver Bills helmet. They're definitely working on it. 

4 hours ago, C-Squared said:

The possibility of the Bills completing their 80's Pats metamorphosis in red jerseys with white pants is the non-Jags/Titans rumor this board deserves.

I've done it several times in Madden and it looks really good.

bSLCtu2.png

7 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Nope.  Even if you don't deduct points from these simply for replacing an absolute classic (and you should), you can see two unforgivable elements in this picture alone;

1.  The helmet and pants are a match in color, but a mismatch in stripes.

2.  Extreme logo creep... the helmet, PLUS the sleeves, PLUS the pants. Hell, just throw the logo onto the socks, while your at it.

Also, something I've always wondered... is the black edge at the bottom of the jersey stripes supposed to be a shadow?  A stripe shadow?  Bizarre.

This is really the only 2 flaws I see in the late 90s set. Take that uniform, brighten the cardinal red back to cherry/scarlet/candy apple red, remove the logo from the sleeves, and match the pants stripes to the helmet. Then I think the uniform would’ve probably been better viewed as what it was probably supposed to be - a natural progression of the ‘94 fauxback. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

19 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Nope.  Even if you don't deduct points from these simply for replacing an absolute classic (and you should), you can see two unforgivable elements in this picture alone;

1.  The helmet and pants are a match in color, but a mismatch in stripes.

2.  Extreme logo creep... the helmet, PLUS the sleeves, PLUS the pants. Hell, just throw the logo onto the socks, while your at it.

Also, something I've always wondered... is the black edge at the bottom of the jersey stripes supposed to be a shadow?  A stripe shadow?  Bizarre.

NYpvSuZ.jpgDepending on the player, the stripes weren't far off..

19 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Ummm... not sure this really counts as "news";

USATSI_10471605_168384674_lowres.jpg?w=9

A bit off topic, but I liked this set. I also like their normal Color Rush fauxback set. The Cowboys uniforms could be really good, but the color inconsistencies make their alternates better than their standard whites, in my opinion.

17 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

NYpvSuZ.jpgDepending on the player, the stripes weren't far off..

The pants stripes were designed to match the helmet if on the right helmet kind of. With how helmets were designed back then (with a raised middle portion of the shell), you get what you see with Garcia in the photo. Then other helmet designs were in and they didn't make any alterations because the red and black were supposed to be next to each other based on the white pants. It is with the old style helmet you see gold because that portion of it is raised. 

From the side, you can see it

rid1afs-sff.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRE5vMYB7s_LEOIEN3bTfG

Here with TO, you can see that his helmet doesn't have that raised portion of the shell, so the gold will not show

terrell-owens-49ers.jpg

Of course, you can easily just have the equipment guys just make that alteration for specific helmets. But because the design was created essentially with the old white pants in mind, the style guide technically has the red and black right next to each other. 

2d108c7c6c4e4dc73f966c6b9cb08684--jerry-

Confusing probably, but yeah, I think that's the reason why it may look inconsistent for some players but not all of them on the team. 

Like this 

49ers-Saints-1997-004.jpg

Go A's!

5 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

The pants stripes were designed to match the helmet if on the right helmet kind of. With how helmets were designed back then (with a raised middle portion of the shell), you get what you see with Garcia in the photo. Then other helmet designs were in and they didn't make any alterations because the red and black were supposed to be next to each other based on the white pants. It is with the old style helmet you see gold because that portion of it is raised. 

From the side, you can see it

rid1afs-sff.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRE5vMYB7s_LEOIEN3bTfG

Here with TO, you can see that his helmet doesn't have that raised portion of the shell, so the gold will not show

terrell-owens-49ers.jpg

Of course, you can easily just have the equipment guys just make that alteration for specific helmets. But because the design was created essentially with the old white pants in mind, the style guide technically has the red and black right next to each other. 

2d108c7c6c4e4dc73f966c6b9cb08684--jerry-

Confusing probably, but yeah, I think that's the reason why it may look inconsistent for some players but not all of them on the team. 

It was only that way on the Riddell VSR4.. The Scutt Air Advantage was always smooth.. 

An argument could also be made that the pants striping matches the logo as well..

6 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

It was only that way on the Riddell VSR4.. The Scutt Air Advantage was always smooth.. 

An argument could also be made that the pants striping matches the logo as well..

How long was the Riddell VSR4 style used in the NFL? 

Go A's!

On 3/3/2018 at 10:26 AM, DeFrank said:

51311608-falcons-v-49ers.jpg.jpg

the best thr 49ers have ever looked. 

On 3/3/2018 at 10:28 AM, GFB said:

Some of ya’ll are crazy. If I can’t see that candy apple red in the bright California sun, then it’s not the 49ers.

082516-RiceYoung-TB.jpg

I agree. The top one was a decent uniform, but still had its flaws purely from a form perspective: the excess logos, whatever the hell was going on with the drop shadow sleeve stripes, and the mismatched helmet and pant detail. It’s when given the old one for comparison, though, that you really see how dark and drab it got, and to me it’s no contest. I’ll take the bright, vibrant, clean, and classic look every time, as long as it has the normal-sized pant stripes. The only thing I’d change about it is to ditch the black trim on the logo and clean up the monogram to work as a single color.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

34 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I agree. The top one was a decent uniform, but still had its flaws purely from a form perspective: the excess logos, whatever the hell was going on with the drop shadow sleeve stripes, and the mismatched helmet and pant detail. It’s when given the old one for comparison, though, that you really see how dark and drab it got, and to me it’s no contest. I’ll take the bright, vibrant, clean, and classic look every time, as long as it has the normal-sized pant stripes. The only thing I’d change about it is to ditch the black trim on the logo and clean up the monogram to work as a single color.

I wish I could like this post several times over. The Niners' Montana-era look had a clean aesthetic that looked great in different lighting conditions and didn't have too many gimmicks like the post-1994 ugliness (I grew up with that style of uniform, and I associate it with underachieving teams and the decline of the franchise). My only improvements (outside of what Andrew mentioned) would be to add metallic gold pants and maybe add gold outlines to the lettering and striping elements, but even that would only be if the team needed gold somewhere on their jerseys. I'd also add back in the sock stripes, for the complete look.

montanaxix-web.jpg

They don't need black, don't need drop shadows, and certainly don't need any of the gimmicks present in the later looks.

On 3/3/2018 at 12:31 PM, DanParker said:

I have more information that will come to light very soon and hopefully provide me with credibility here moving forward. For the NFL’s Color Rush, each team will have two options to wear on Thursday Night Football in a solid color and a white color set in the case of clashes. You’ve already seen the Patriots add white pants and guessed the Niners will as well, but the Steelers are also getting white pants and several teams are adding alternate white pants as well.

The really big news out of this though is that the NFL will allow pieces from these Color Rush sets to be mixed and matched throughout the season. Get ready to see Teams like the Packers, Patriots, Steelers, and Niners wear white pants with their home look, or teams like the Broncos and Browns blending their Color Rush uniforms with white pants. And the most trivial but probably first noticeable change is that white socks are no longer mandatory as long as the team is wearing the same color socks.

So it IS a possibility that we’ll see the Rams with the throwback helmet, Color Rush jersey, and white pants? Outstanding.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

27 minutes ago, Ben in LA said:

So it IS a possibility that we’ll see the Rams with the throwback helmet, Color Rush jersey, and white pants? Outstanding.

You should probably read the rest of this thread before getting too excited. 

Archived