NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

9 hours ago, TheOldRoman said:

Better yet, the Redskins should just go entirely back to how they looked in the '90s, except wearing red at home. The yellow pants are inferior with both sets. Red over white and white over red.

I agree! I don't mind gold pants for a primetime home game once or twice a year, but I agree. Bring back the 80s and 90s. 

oct-1997-darrell-green-of-the-washington

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Walter Sobchak said:

Good. The orange alternate is great and so much better than the 1940s high school alternate they’ve worn for the last couple years.

They havent said theyd be those most recent orage jerseys.  Im hoping for a return of the throwbacks from Thanksgiving in the early 2000s

chi_worstqbs01_800.jpg

Just now, Gr3g3 said:

https://twitter.com/RuiterWrongFAN/status/978765776667709441

More confirmation the Browns are changing in 2020, but what's interesting here is that Haslam has stated the equipment guys have had mechanical difficulties with the current uniform. Wonder what that could be.

An excuse?

It's where I sit.

On 3/9/2018 at 10:20 PM, Mitch B said:

That look would work better with a blue helmet ... stupid 2 helmet rule.

I don't think the Colts need a blue helmet.  The Colts helmet color and logo design has remained unchanged since their origin in 1953.  It's the longest helmet identity in the NFL.    After that, the Packers first used their helmet logo in 1961.  The Browns since '61 (except for a helmet color change briefly in '99-'00) and Steelers ('63) have also remained largely the same.

56 minutes ago, Gr3g3 said:

More confirmation the Browns are changing in 2020, but what's interesting here is that Haslam has stated the equipment guys have had mechanical difficulties with the current uniform. Wonder what that could be.

Besides the obvious aesthetic disaster, the uniforms introduced in 2015 were not comfortable-fitting with players. Also, some of the orange and brown combinations made it difficult for radio and TV announcers – and coaches reviewing game film -- to distinguish the jersey numbers.

A total re-design would be introduced for the 2020 season. Until then, slight modfications for 2018 are permissible. According to a source, the team is looking into removing the word “Cleveland” from the front of the jersey and “Browns” from the pant leg.

So the NFL is letting them remove "Cleveland" from the jerseys before 2020? I know that the pants can be modified without issue, but didn't realize anything can be changed on the jersey. Also, it seems like the number colors are the bigger problem. Never really heard of many complain about the "Cleveland".

48 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:

I don't think the Colts need a blue helmet.  The Colts helmet color and logo design has remained unchanged since their origin in 1953.  It's the longest helmet identity in the NFL.    After that, the Packers first used their helmet logo in 1961.  The Browns since '61 (except for a helmet color change briefly in '99-'00) and Steelers ('63) have also remained largely the same.

Well, not exactly.

1953_Baltimore.png?6181

nfl_g_ameche_600.jpg

They didn't introduce their current design until 1957.  Which is still damned impressive.  

As for the longest unchanged, that's true if you're willing to overlook facemask color changes but not logo color changes.

58 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:

These were a throwback to the early 50s.

indianapolis-colts-quarterback-manning-s

baltimore-colts54helmet_1st-horseshoe-lo

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

So the NFL is letting them remove "Cleveland" from the jerseys before 2020? I know that the pants can be modified without issue, but didn't realize anything can be changed on the jersey. Also, it seems like the number colors are the bigger problem. Never really heard of many complain about the "Cleveland".

I personally don't mind the "Cleveland" on the jersey.  Lose the "Browns" on the pants, home jersey numbers to white, and make the sleeve stripes stay on the sleeve.  I've come to like the brown facemask. I could live with those changes going forward.

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

They didn't introduce their current design until 1957.  Which is still damned impressive.  

As for the longest unchanged, that's true if you're willing to overlook facemask color changes but not logo color changes.

Thanks.  One website I researched said 1953, but obviously it was wrong.  I specifically left out facemask color as the Colts did have blue ones at one point.  The Cardinals have largely kept the same logo design with more minor changes such as outline since the 60s as well.  

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

They havent said theyd be those most recent orage jerseys.  Im hoping for a return of the throwbacks from Thanksgiving in the early 2000s

chi_worstqbs01_800.jpg

Loved these...the numbers used with this combo look much better than their normal font with this look.

3 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Tell teams they are allowed to wear an alternate helmet twice during the regular season, but they must be worn with a color rush or throwback uniform. 

5-year rule is great. But when we have disasters like the Rams and Browns, something needs to be done. I don't think teams should have to wait that long just to make a small tweak.

I think these two sentences kind of contradict each other.  In theory, if teams have disasters, a small tweak should not fix it. 

The Rams never were a disaster.  The St. Louis look was OK.  Sure, the LA looks were better but they did not become "a disaster" until they started playing the system on the five-year rule.  They could have changed for the LA move (you know the thing that should be exciting, as opposed to the stadium).  They could have waited until the stadium was completed to change (the second-best option).  Instead, they chose the worst possible option and went with a mismatched mess.

The Browns blew most elements of their overhaul (not the facemask, though)...no question. But teams really ought to be coming up with uniforms that are not disasters in the first place. 

The five-year rule's biggest weakness, frankly, is that it's too lax, as proven by the Rams.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

The Rams never were a disaster.  The St. Louis look was OK.  Sure, the LA looks were better but they did not become "a disaster" until they started playing the system on the five-year rule.  They could have changed for the LA move (you know the thing that should be exciting, as opposed to the taxpayer-funded stadium).

Point of order; Kroenke is funding the stadium himself. As all owners should.  

45 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Well there you go. It looks like absolute :censored:.

11 hours ago, Chawls said:

Which orange jerseys though?

A. chi-05-11-orange-iconsmi-620x930.jpg

~OR~

B. kicker-jonathan-quinn-of-the-chicago-bea

The image on the top was the Alternative one as the one on the bottom was a Thanksgiving jersey so I would say the top one.Of course if the Bears are trying to increase jersey sales then.....I actually like the Monsters of the Midway jersey although I know it's not that popular on this board.A new look for the Bears would be to try the Orange jersey with Navy Pants. The all Navy look for the Bears does not work at all.

1 hour ago, Bill81361 said:

Thanks.  One website I researched said 1953, but obviously it was wrong.  I specifically left out facemask color as the Colts did have blue ones at one point.  The Cardinals have largely kept the same logo design with more minor changes such as outline since the 60s as well.  

Well...

I will have to agree to disagree on this point.  I think this logo change:

15620e34f7fc4cab0f06eaf1a7e141f8.gif   dd30ea69d43ad89d03e367f44f3c177d.gif

is more significant than the Rams' simple color-swap:

864.gif   Jf7BDrg.gif  rEU523m.gif

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Point of order; Kroenke is funding the stadium himself. As all owners should.  

I guess I did not know that...good.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, Gr3g3 said:

Looking at Johnny Manziel photos that have been popping up everywhere lately, it seems that the stripes are a stiffer material than the sleeves, so i could see that causing a tailoring issue. But that's just a guess. 

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I disagree - those are the only two rules keeping the NFL from going full-on clown show. 

Before the one helmet rule you could only use a different color helmet if it was a throwback. They’d be fine just going back to that. I don’t need it to become college.

7 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

Looking at Johnny Manziel photos that have been popping up everywhere lately, it seems that the stripes are a stiffer material than the sleeves, so i could see that causing a tailoring issue. But that's just a guess. 

If you check out some Brock Osweiler photos, the sleeves seem pretty "flowy"

Archived