NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

No to the Jets. The only thing they need to do is fix the green. They don't need a uniform overhaul especially if it's Nike in charge.

Unpopular Opinion: I never saw the appeal to the 70s-90s uniforms. It is the most basic boring football uniform ever. 

XM4KeeA.png

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets Oiler pats bucs Seahawks bills falcons are just a handful of reasons why at least a two helmet rule should be ok because not only are we missing out on some great classic looks but the nfl is missing out on tons of money that is usually made during throwback games. 

21 minutes ago, insert name said:

No to the Jets. The only thing they need to do is fix the green. They don't need a uniform overhaul especially if it's Nike in charge.

Unpopular Opinion: I never saw the appeal to the 70s-90s uniforms. It is the most basic boring football uniform ever. 

I'm in the same boat as you. Sure, the logo was nice, but the uniforms were fairly bland.

1980_NYJets.png1992_NYJets.png

The addition of black did not help nearly as much as some people say it did. The outlines were too thin to make much of an impact.

art-monk-new-york-jets.jpg

It just looked bland, despite the kelly green. For whatever problems the Jets have with their look at the moment, a color change and a UCLA-style stripe restoration would do them wonders. 

img_10319471-cropped__1506831412.jpg?itok=eGe-R7Ee

Think this, but kelly/white and with contrast-colored sleeves. 

7 hours ago, Volt said:

Could agree on the Browns, disagree on the Jets.  They're basically wearing a classic throwback full-time, so it's not that bad.  The Donkey's look horrifically 90's and are responsible for the worst trend in football uniform history.  They need to go to a version of their Color Rush unis full-time.

Speaking of, I agree 100% on the Saints.   Their White Color Rush look is simply amazing.  It is perfect in every way.

The Patriots have been so successful in the current uniforms its hard to see or think of them in anything else, but I would not mind an "evolution", similar to what Miami did there; get rid of the piping and double-outline numbers, sync up striping or colorblocking, and update the font to a cleaner, more modern block.  Their CR unis are generally pretty good, minus the pant striping issue.  I'd be fine if they went with those full-time, but they lack any Silver, which is an issue.

Chargers do indeed need to ditch the Navy for Powder Blue, but they could probably use an "evolution" as well.  It's just a stale look.  

I'm actually fine with the Buccaneers' uniforms.  They'd be great if not for that number font, but I doubt they'd change just the number front in any kind of overhaul.  

I disagree about the Chargers. They don't need an "evolution". Their navy is underrated.

The Buccaneers current uniform are a degradation of the previous design. They should switch their look when the five year window is up.

5 hours ago, insert name said:

Kind of like the ones they currently wear?

15 minutes ago, gothedistance said:

I disagree about the Chargers. They don't need an "evolution". Their navy is underrated.

The Chargers are a great example of a team with great colors that is executed poorly. The yellow and powder blue are great together and they are bored down by the overuse of navy and white. Throw in some yellow pants and a different helmet. They could do so much better than what they wear now in my opinion. Even powder pant would probably be pretty nice, but not with the current jerseys.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:40 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I'm in the same boat as you. Sure, the logo was nice, but the uniforms were fairly bland.

The addition of black did not help nearly as much as some people say it did. The outlines were too thin to make much of an impact.

I agree with you on the black, I honestly hate it. I think the black draws your eye away and doesn't truly let the Kelly green and white work together. Same thing it did to the Lions when they had black. Makes the Jets look like a green and black team when the intention was green and white with black accents.

8 hours ago, Brown1 said:

The Chargers are a great example of a team with great colors that is executed poorly. The yellow and powder blue are great together and they are bored down by the overuse of navy and white. Throw in some yellow pants and a different helmet. They could do so much better than what they wear now in my opinion. Even powder pant would probably be pretty nice, but not with the current jerseys.

I disagree. The Chargers play in a warm weather region, having a white helmet makes sense. Yellow pants would be overkill. Their design is not executed poorly. The navy and white compliments the yellow. The lighting bolt stands out.

2 hours ago, Eszcz21 said:

I agree with you on the black, I honestly hate it. I think the black draws your eye away and doesn't truly let the Kelly green and white work together. Same thing it did to the Lions when they had black. Makes the Jets look like a green and black team when they intention was green and white with black accents.

Marshall University says otherwise: 

IMG_3820online-900x600.jpg

When executed properly, it works extremely well.  Maybe just not for the Jets.

Also, this photo makes me really miss the Pro Combat Speed template.  Especially the pants.  

13 minutes ago, Volt said:

Marshall University says otherwise: 

IMG_3820online-900x600.jpg

When executed properly, it works extremely well.  Maybe just not for the Jets.

Also, this photo makes me really miss the Pro Combat Speed template.  Especially the pants.  

Really? I'm glad that they moved on from it, you can see the mismatched the greens are on the jerseys. I like the stripe down the side, but hate how its cut off from the top of the pants. what they have now is much better

16 hours ago, insert name said:

Agree on this. I've always thought their current set was light years ahead of their 80s/90s set. 

17 hours ago, insert name said:

Unpopular Opinion: I never saw the appeal to the 70s-90s uniforms. It is the most basic boring football uniform ever

The Jags say hello.

2 hours ago, gothedistance said:

I disagree. The Chargers play in a warm weather region, having a white helmet makes sense. Yellow pants would be overkill. Their design is not executed poorly. The navy and white compliments the yellow. The lighting bolt stands out.

But it's not really needed. I mean, they had good seasons wearing dark blue/navy helmets while playing in a warm climate.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, shstpt1 said:

Really? I'm glad that they moved on from it, you can see the mismatched the greens are on the jerseys. I like the stripe down the side, but hate how its cut off from the top of the pants. what they have now is much better

I was referring more to the seam lines on the template.  I agree on the fabric issues.  I actually liked that the stripe was truncated at the top of the hip, before the waist...just made it a little bit different.  

The front shoulder seams and the wide neck collar seams, along with the sweatbox (again, not referring to the fabric issues) just created a really great silhouette when worn.  I like the Vapor Untouchable, but the lack of seams basically makes it look like a compression shirt stretched over the jersey.  Which is a lot like what Adidas did.  And I hate Adidas.  I went both ways on the Flywire, but it generally didn't bother me when the collar was solid all the way around and the Flyewire itself was tonal, and not a contrasting color.

The VU pants do look great, I just miss the NPC Speed.  

Back to the main point, this color combo looked outstanding on Marshall.  Great design with perfect balance and contrast.

21 hours ago, orangefaniniowa said:

And I would like to see the Texans update their look.  It still has the old 2002 expansion feel.  I would like them to scrap navy blue and go back to some type of Columbia blue as their primary to pay some homeage to the old Oilers.  I know the Titans have Columbia but they also have navy as well.  Texans could be the loner as just Columbia and red for their colors.

While there's a part of me that wouldn't mind the Texans ditching navy for Columbia, the other part me of associates that color with the enemy. As an alternate, Columbia blue would be a nice bridge between the old team and the new. But a primary? No. Texans just need switch to their Battle Reds as the primary with some red facemasks. And bring back their red pants (inverse of their Color Rush pants) for away games with the blue socks. 

As for the Jets, 80-90's logo on white helmet with current uniforms in Kelly Green. or switch to their Color Rush unis. 

6 hours ago, Ashes of Astroworld said:

While there's a part of me that wouldn't mind the Texans ditching navy for Columbia, the other part me of associates that color with the enemy. As an alternate, Columbia blue would be a nice bridge between the old team and the new. But a primary? No.

The Texans switching to Columbia blue would be like asking your brunette girlfriend to dye her hair blonde to look more like your ex.

1 hour ago, C-Squared said:

The Texans switching to Columbia blue would be like asking your redheaded girlfriend to dye her hair blonde to look more like your ex.

Another way to look at it, would you ask your current significant other not to dye his/her hair blond because it would remind you of your ex?

There's got to be some fascinating mental gymnastics in Houston regarding the Texans and the Oilers. 

Does one cling to past glories despite that team bailing on you and try to fold it into your new team? Alternatively, does one make a clean break from the past?

The Oilers are dead and buried. Let them and their Columbia blue rest in peace. The Texans will never use that color, and the Titans are clearly a navy blue team now.

As for the Texans, I feel like they could use a freshening up. The modern shoulder stripe kind of clashes with the traditional pants stripe, even more so when they go monochrome. 

22 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

It just looked bland, despite the kelly green. For whatever problems the Jets have with their look at the moment, a color change and a UCLA-style stripe restoration would do them wonders. 

img_10319471-cropped__1506831412.jpg?itok=eGe-R7Ee

Think this, but kelly/white and with contrast-colored sleeves. 

Interesting...I've always felt the same about the Jets even though I LOVE kelly green. The eagles 1980's-mid 90's uni's are my favorite football uniforms ever. I think the deal is the silver really made the kelly green "pop" (especially the thin white outline of a silver wing on the kelly green helmet) whereas just kelly and white are a little bland.  

Archived