NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

See I think that reading left to right actually makes the Eagles logo correct and all the others wrong. The bird should be flying past me, and when moving left to right and seeing it’s beak first, it adds to its dynamicism.  

The others seem more static since my eye hits the rear ends first, so it’s like I’m passing them by. 

I’d theow out that the helmet graphics are responsible for everyone else’s incorrectness, rather than the Eagles uniqueness. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

The Vikings really need to go with white pants on the road more often. It's a great look. 

Agreed.  They look great in White-on-White.

2 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

The Vikings really need to go with white pants on the road more often. It's a great look. 

It is a great look when the opposing team does not wear white pants or the opposing team is going semi-monochrome. Otherwise, the purple pants should be worn.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, orangefaniniowa said:

You forgot about this:

Image result for baltimore ravens

Funny thing - I didn’t actually forget it, I just hate it so much that I couldn’t bear to include it.  ?

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Which looks really wonky when flipped

nfl-baltimore-ravens-cincinnati-bengals.

It looks awful flipped with the altered “B”, but it isn’t much better in the proper orientation.  

31 minutes ago, nuordr said:

It is a great look when the opposing team does not wear white pants or the opposing team is going semi-monochrome. Otherwise, the purple pants should be worn.

Huh? Semi-pregnant? Sorta unique?

One either is or isn't.

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

See I think that reading left to right actually makes the Eagles logo correct and all the others wrong. The bird should be flying past me, and when moving left to right and seeing it’s beak first, it adds to its dynamicism.  

The others seem more static since my eye hits the rear ends first, so it’s like I’m passing them by. 

I’d theow out that the helmet graphics are responsible for everyone else’s incorrectness, rather than the Eagles uniqueness. 

I don't think there's a right or wrong.  I think the reason most of them face the opposite way is the helmets, which perhaps for no particular reason, are shown facing right in promotional graphics.  That sort of forces the logos to face right.

Of the logos that Goth posted, only the Vikings and Rams logo is not on the helmet, but even those have components (horns in both cases) so it makes more sense for them to face right as well.  The Eagles are one of the few teams with a primary logo that could face either way, in theory.

The Ravens (left off intentionally) is the best example of a logo that does does not work well because of having to flip it for the left side of the helmet. They could just remove the "B" but what do I know?  I've always thought that a lot of logos look weird on the left side of the helmet.  The Chiefs...they essentially have to do what the Ravens do but don't have to change the shape of the letters.  I even think the left side of the Bears helmet looks a bit odd.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

47 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Funny thing - I didn’t actually forget it, I just hate it so much that I couldn’t bear to include it.  ?

It looks awful flipped with the altered “B”, but it isn’t much better in the proper orientation.  

Well its got to be all or nothing.  Besides I thought the Falcons, Cardinals, and Dolphins logos looks more disturbing than the Ravens logo but yet you posted it on that list.

Back to the logo facing, then why does the Eagles wordmark have it facing the opposite direction? It would be smarter to hav wall versions facing one direction.

Philadelphia-Eagles-LogoII.JPG

da0Lbhs.png

1 hour ago, simtek34 said:

Back to the logo facing, then why does the Eagles wordmark have it facing the opposite direction? It would be smarter to hav wall versions facing one direction.

Philadelphia-Eagles-LogoII.JPG

It's also tilted up at an awkward angle just to align with the arc of the wordmark.  Double wrong.

You rarely, if ever see that logo anymore anyway.  Doesn't count.  Didn't happen.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Which is only feasible because unlike virtually every other NFL team, they don't put their primary logo on the helmet.

Every other team flips their right-facing logo for the left side of the helmet... what does it really matter if a team's logo faces left and gets flipped for the right side of the helmet instead?

43 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Every other team flips their right-facing logo for the left side of the helmet... what does it really matter if a team's logo faces left and gets flipped for the right side of the helmet instead?

To his point, yes it does - the helmet is a de facto logo that appears all over the place - 99.99% of the time, facing right.

1988-Topps-Football.jpg1982-Topps-Football.jpg1984-Topps-USFL-Football.jpg

23 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

To his point, yes it does - the helmet is a de facto logo that appears all over the place - 99.99% of the time, facing right.

1988-Topps-Football.jpg

If we're just talking about helmet graphics, why can't this hypothetical Eagles helmet graphic just face left?

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Um. I think you're disagreeing with @Jungle Jim there.

Logos really should flow from left to right.  

kwth8f1cfa2sch5xhjjfaof90.gif9ebzja2zfeigaziee8y605aqp.gif17013982017.gif594179532017.gif570.gif857.gif17636702014.gify71myf8mlwlk8lbgagh3fd5e0.gif17227042013.gifpfiobtreaq7j0pzvadktsc6jv.gif1053.gif15073062018.gifim5xz2q9bjbg44xep08bf5czq.gifn0fd1z6xmhigb0eej3323ebwq.gif299.giff1wggq2k8ql88fe33jzhw641u.gif15988562013.gif

The Eagles' primary logo is awkward because it flows in the opposite direction as we read in English.  They're the only team in the NFL that currently does this. 

960.gif

Which is only feasible because unlike virtually every other NFL team, they don't put their primary logo on the helmet.

f7R6CbP.png

For that reason, I give the Eagles something of a pass.  They have the history, and that also counts for something in my eyes.  

This is is an interesting subject for me. I’m with BBTV on this one in that I generally prefer left facing logos, but for a different reason. When I draw a directional logo, it’s usually to accentuate that directionality or movement, and the composition typically ends up being a detailed face of some sort that gets less detailed as you move toward the back. As a right-handed person, it’s really difficult to draw a right-facing face and extend the rear of the logo back toward you. It’s much more natural to draw a left-facing face and extend the rest of the logo away from you as you draw.

I also like the composition of left-facing logos. I think a good logo should circle your eye around it quickly and confidently. A left facing logo starts you at the focal point, takes you across it and back for your eye to rest back on the focal point.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I also like the composition of left-facing logos. I think a good logo should circle your eye around it quickly and confidently. A left facing logo starts you at the focal point, takes you across it and back for your eye to rest back on the focal point.

This is another way of stating my point.  Your point about drawing as a righty is valid too, though I hadn't thought of it that way until you mentioned it.

6 hours ago, Cosmic said:

If we're just talking about helmet graphics, why can't this hypothetical Eagles helmet graphic just face left?

Because that would be dumb.  Why would the bird be flying backwards?

Archived