Recommended Posts

Fyi...The last time a Steelers minority owner bought another franchise was Jimmy Haslam buying the Browns. Based on that precedent, maybe the Panthers should leave well enough alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I don't care if it's unpopular or not because I know it is, but I want the Panthers to have a MAJOR redesign, something completely modern. There are so many things wrong with their uniforms that small tweaks just wouldn't be enough to fix.

 

  • Silver is too prominent; blue should be used more.
  • The striping is ugly, especially on the helmet. The way players wear their jerseys (like the way Newton does) makes the shoulder stripes look like giant rubber bands.
  • Since their logo doesn't have an outline (and it absolutely should, by the way), it makes it look like a tacked-on sticker on the helmet (and it shouldn't look like that).
  • The block numerals aren't necessarily bad... I actually like them in general, but they just wouldn't fit a modern identity IMO.

 

I'm not afraid of Nike possibly going "too crazy"... it's better than having these currently outdated uniforms in place.

 

The only thing you said that I agree with is the helmet striping. It could be changed, but honestly, tapered stripes are the Panthers' look now, so I don't mind them. They would be worse if they were introduced to a new uniform now.

  • Carolina blue looks great as an accent color. The current uniform balances perfectly between silver and blue, in my opinion.
  • Newton's stripes are the best-looking ones on the team. They're much better than the chunky stripes that flare to the outside that are worn by most players on the team - both as an independent design element, and in how they parallel the helmet and pants stripes.
  • The current, outline-less logo looks much better than the outlined logo they had until ~5 years ago. The white outline was jarring, pointless because black and silver have plenty of contrast, and wasn't echoed by the black-and-blue helmet stripes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last thing the Panthers need to do is become the Jags and throwaway an already great set. The Panthers shouldn’t do anything. They did the perfect thing by giving their logo a modern tweak. Their uniforms are timeless. 

 

And its also Nike. I don’t trust them with anything anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if it's not broke don't fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, whitedawg22 said:

The current, outline-less logo looks much better than the outlined logo they had until ~5 years ago. The white outline was jarring, pointless because black and silver have plenty of contrast, and wasn't echoed by the black-and-blue helmet stripes.

I agree that the white outline didn't look the best but I don't like the outline-less logo when it's placed on a blue or especially on a black background. The logo gets completely lost. My solution would be to have a silver keyline on the logo for all applications. That way it would appear the same way on the helmets but help to keep the features/shape defined when placed on blue or black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that all they need to do is to switch to the new template and they would look immensely better. They could keep the shiny pants, but a change to a new template for the jersey would take care of the inconsistencies the jerseys have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a perfect world, this is what the Panthers should do... BRING BACK THE BLACK PANTS!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also a little confused about why the Panthers' uniform gets so much love on here... I can't count the number of "modern classics" that have been dropped.  I mean, it's fine... and these days, with most new designs being garbage, it keeps rising up the lists just by the teams dropping below it (which I'll agree is a good argument for leaving it alone), but I couldn't really bring myself to call it good.

 

I can't get past;

 

  • The helmet stripe being so disjointed from the pants stripe... both are silver, both have stripes, but they couldn't look less cohesive.
  • The sleeve loops looking so radically different from one player to the next... to me, that's a flaw in the design.
  • The tapered pants stripe... such a product of it's time, it practically has whiskers.
  • The helmet logo (I like the update, personally) repeating on the sleeves and again on the hip... we get it already. Definition of overkill.
  • The white road pants. Especially paired with the baby blue socks it just looks kind of soft, to me.

 

Still, I'd keep it rather than let Nike go nuts on it.  A Dolphin style tweak, tho?  Go for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would make the light blue jerseys the primary colored jerseys 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm also a little confused about why the Panthers' uniform gets so much love on here... I can't count the number of "modern classics" that have been dropped.  I mean, it's fine... and these days, with most new designs being garbage, it keeps rising up the lists just by the teams dropping below it (which I'll agree is a good argument for leaving it alone), but I couldn't really bring myself to call it good.

 

I can't get past;

 

  • The helmet stripe being so disjointed from the pants stripe... both are silver, both have stripes, but they couldn't look less cohesive.
  • The sleeve loops looking so radically different from one player to the next... to me, that's a flaw in the design.
  • The tapered pants stripe... such a product of it's time, it practically has whiskers.
  • The helmet logo (I like the update, personally) repeating on the sleeves and again on the hip... we get it already. Definition of overkill.
  • The white road pants. Especially paired with the baby blue pants it just looks kind of soft, to me.

Still, I'd keep it rather than let Nike go nuts on it.  A Dolphin style tweak, tho?  Go for it.


The only thing that really bothers me about the Panthers is those goofy helmet stripes.  Otherwise I'm fine with them looking like a 90s expansion team.  Though they could use a secondary logo... that's what leads to so much overkill with the primary mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like the Panthers' helmet and pants stripes could be simplified to be more Dolphins-esque. One main black stripe with two thinner blue stripes (or vice-versa), full length front to back, with no tapering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm also a little confused about why the Panthers' uniform gets so much love on here... I can't count the number of "modern classics" that have been dropped.  I mean, it's fine... and these days, with most new designs being garbage, it keeps rising up the lists just by the teams dropping below it (which I'll agree is a good argument for leaving it alone), but I couldn't really bring myself to call it good.

 

I can't get past;

 

  • The helmet stripe being so disjointed from the pants stripe... both are silver, both have stripes, but they couldn't look less cohesive.
  • The sleeve loops looking so radically different from one player to the next... to me, that's a flaw in the design.
  • The tapered pants stripe... such a product of it's time, it practically has whiskers.
  • The helmet logo (I like the update, personally) repeating on the sleeves and again on the hip... we get it already. Definition of overkill.
  • The white road pants. Especially paired with the baby blue pants it just looks kind of soft, to me.

Still, I'd keep it rather than let Nike go nuts on it.  A Dolphin style tweak, tho?  Go for it.

I'm with you on this, maybe 90s nostalgia, which I don't get because I consider the 90s the absolute worse for uniforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, shstpt1 said:

I think that all they need to do is to switch to the new template and they would look immensely better. They could keep the shiny pants, but a change to a new template for the jersey would take care of the inconsistencies the jerseys have. 

Them and the Packers as well.  Let’s face it this Reebok template is getting old and hardly anyone uses it anymore.  I don’t understand why Green Bay and Carolina still uses it, maybe for sentimental reasons, I don’t know.  They could work with Nike and use the new template without having to do any drastic changes to the jersey itself.  It’s likely too late to do something about it this upcoming season, but let’s hope for some change next year and beyond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, orangefaniniowa said:

Them and the Packers as well.  Let’s face it this Reebok template is getting old and hardly anyone uses it anymore.  I don’t understand why Green Bay and Carolina still uses it, maybe for sentimental reasons, I don’t know.  They could work with Nike and use the new template without having to do any drastic changes to the jersey itself.  It’s likely too late to do something about it this upcoming season, but let’s hope for some change next year and beyond.

I hope the Packers never change. For a two reasons. 

First? Look at the Jets. They technically use the same shade of green as Green Bay, but it looks brown and mismatched on the Jets. Green is obviously a problem for Nike. 

Why would the Packers want to muddy their brand like that?

 

Secondly? The fact that one or two teams keeping the old template annoys so many Nike Swooshkateers amuses me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I hope the Packers never change. For a two reasons. 

First? Look at the Jets. They technically use the same shade of green as Green Bay, but it looks brown and mismatched on the Jets. Why would the Packers want to muddy their brand like that?

 

Secondly? The fact that one or two teams keeping the old template annoys so many Nike Swooshkateers is amusing to me.

The Jets didn’t look better when they were with Reebok either.  Remember the pea soup look? This past season was the best they look with the new template, better than the flywire garbage that most NFL teams used.  Not perfect by any means but better than it was.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, orangefaniniowa said:

The Jets didn’t look better when they were with Reebok either.  Remember the pea soup look? This past season was the best they look with the new template, better than the flywire garbage that most NFL teams used.  Not perfect by any means but better than it was.

 

The green didn’t look as brown under Reebok. Hell, just look at the Packers. It’s supposed to be the same shade. 

And yet the Packers, who use the old template, have a better looking green. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the Panthers at least doing 2 things to their uniforms:

 

- Moving to the Nike template

- wearing all black more (hopefully with blue socks)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Panthers need to have much less curve on their helmet stripe.. It nearly bumps into the logo.. They also need to match the helmet stripes and pants stripes (And primary jersey stripes for that matter).. The fact that both sets of pants and both primary jerseys have blue stripes outlined by black or silver, means the helmet stripes should be blue outlined in black..

Also, switching to a rams-style shoulder insert would make sense.. It's a design that works on a modern template, and the Rams' navy jerseys are an example of being able to outline the insert (Rams gold insert has a white strip on one side).. This could easily be used to transfer the Panthers design to a modern template.. Maybe switch to a full-body logo on the sleeves  as well..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never cared for the Nike template. A lot of sets lost their shine because of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest changes I would like to see is to:

Fix the inconsistent stripes

Get rid of the logos on the pants and jersey (replace with numbers i.e raiders)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now