NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That’s because the human eye perceives colors differently based on what’s around them. 

There’s a reason white and gold are not supposed to touch in vexillology.  They blend together at any distance at all and become a fuzzy, indistinguishable mess. 

There are reasons to have yellow/gold not touch white, but it isn't a hard rule.  And it doesn't always become a mess, as you say.  It can be the intended visual.  Like the Boston Bruins with yellow touching white all over the place.  The numbers work now so much better than previous years and are not legible with the extra outline separating them,

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's true.  Only a Sith deals in absolutes.  ? 

There are times when the general blending effect is okay.  These numbers aren't bad, when the gold and white mingle they just appear thicker.

boston-bruins.jpg

I would say that the NOB shouldn't be outlined at all; the negative space would be much more distinct, and the names so much clearer, without the outline.

Similarly, the Vikings were mentioned.  Their road jersey is the reverse - white body. gold outline, dark numbers.

Carter_Cris_14.jpg?24327

When the gold outline disappears, you're left with dark numbers on a white jersey.  No problem there.

But notice that in both cases, the stripes avoid having gold and white touch,  And with good reason.

15 hours ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

But the stripping patterns are consistent. So what on the green jerseys they don't touch that's because the dominated color is green instead of yellow. The stripping pattern supersedes colors touching. Again with the green jerseys is white-green-yellow-green-white meaning there is a space for the dominated color so why make the away jerseys green-yellow-green?  Basically it's S-D-S pattern. Either keep the gap or leave it. It makes no sense just beats the green jerseys barely use white

PS as to why it matters well it keeps the team identity throughout all looks. A viewer should glance at then and recognize the team. I do have a problem with the Cowboys inconsistencies. If not their looks get diluted. Just look at college some teams won't even use their team colors. I also have beef with mismatched colors on white like Jax and Seattle. The giants are arguably the worst offenders as their white jerseys have no blue and have red stripping. You also contradict yourself. If consistency doesn't matter why worry about keeping the yellow and white away? 

Again, there are more than one way to maintain consistency.. You think it's more important for striping (not "stripping") to match EXACTLY from one jersey to another.. That's ok.. I, however, think the consistency across one uniform (i.e. The entire away uniform or the entire home uniform) is more important than than trying to perfectly match the away jersey to the home jersey.. The away jersey will always be worn with the helmet and away pants, but the away jersey will never be worn with the home jersey.. They don't need to be PERFECTLY EXACT matches.. In fact, I would argue that the original away striping is the "standard" and the little spaces were only added to the home jersey for contrast (same with the old Browns).. The fact that those little spaces are there on the green jerseys to help distinguish the yellow from the white proves 2 things.. 1. Yellow and white shouldn't touch because they're indistinguishable from a distance, and 2. The only deviation from the normal striping pattern should be minimal, and ONLY when separating white and yellow.. Otherwise, the helmets and pants would also have those little spaces..

So, while I understand your opinion regarding Jersey A should be exactly like Jersey B, I maintain that the away jersey, helmet, and pants should all have no spaces, while the green jersey has the small spaces.. Having 3/4 of the uniform consistent (plus some added consistencies with the other 1/4 that I didn't mention) is better than having half and half

1 hour ago, shaydre1019 said:

Bc when some people think football (or classic football) they associate that with the looks from the past. These looks included gray facemasks. 

Personally I love a gray mask when it fits in with the rest of the uniform. My personal rule is that is must include black cleats and white socks (or bottoms in the nfl's case). 

Gray works for Indy, NYG, previously the browns, and could work for a few other teams as well as teams like Bama and USC in the college ranks. But it would look silly with say the Texans or Falcons. Clashes with the rest of Arizonas uniforms, although that whole thing is a mess imo. 

Somethings should just stay in the past. Just look at the nuggets old uniforms. Just because it's classic doesn't mean it'll work in modern day. I think gray facemasks for classic teams are 'fine' but not desired. The giants with a white facemask just looks so much better

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRR8-rVMFP_9Gzk_AVrPiW

Also USC would look so much better with a yellow facemask

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

Again, there are more than one way to maintain consistency.. You think it's more important for striping (not "stripping") to match EXACTLY from one jersey to another.. That's ok.. I, however, think the consistency across one uniform (i.e. The entire away uniform or the entire home uniform) is more important than than trying to perfectly match the away jersey to the home jersey.. The away jersey will always be worn with the helmet and away pants, but the away jersey will never be worn with the home jersey.. They don't need to be PERFECTLY EXACT matches.. In fact, I would argue that the original away striping is the "standard" and the little spaces were only added to the home jersey for contrast (same with the old Browns).. The fact that those little spaces are there on the green jerseys to help distinguish the yellow from the white proves 2 things.. 1. Yellow and white shouldn't touch because they're indistinguishable from a distance, and 2. The only deviation from the normal striping pattern should be minimal, and ONLY when separating white and yellow.. Otherwise, the helmets and pants would also have those little spaces..

So, while I understand your opinion regarding Jersey A should be exactly like Jersey B, I maintain that the away jersey, helmet, and pants should all have no spaces, while the green jersey has the small spaces.. Having 3/4 of the uniform consistent (plus some added consistencies with the other 1/4 that I didn't mention) is better than having half and half

Except that's not consistent. The only reason yellow and white don't touch is because it doesn't have the opportunity anywhere else on the set. With the color rush the white pants do this. The current look is more consistent so again either remove the green trim on the home ones or keep the stripping the same but add green trim like the Steelers or keep it as is. Literally the only consistent feature is white not touching yellow which btw  already had yellow touching white because of the way modern jerseys are made. Because most jerseys now have short tight sleeves the stripping will only go half way around and touch the rest of the jersey versus the long sleeves. Not everything translates perfectly to modern day

26 minutes ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

Except that's not consistent. The only reason yellow and white don't touch is because it doesn't have the opportunity anywhere else on the set. With the color rush the white pants do this. The current look is more consistent so again either remove the green trim on the home ones or keep the stripping the same but add green trim like the Steelers or keep it as is. Literally the only consistent feature is white not touching yellow which btw  already had yellow touching white because of the way modern jerseys are made. Because most jerseys now have short tight sleeves the stripping will only go half way around and touch the rest of the jersey versus the long sleeves. Not everything translates perfectly to modern day

The current look is not already more consistent, nor does it look the best.. The color rush pants are the perfect example of what they should be doing with the sleeves.. It looks SO much cleaner and mimics the 3-stripe pattern on the helmets.. Also, how did they "already" have yellow touching white? What does the modern template have to do with that?

1 hour ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

Somethings should just stay in the past. Just look at the nuggets old uniforms. Just because it's classic doesn't mean it'll work in modern day. I think gray facemasks for classic teams are 'fine' but not desired. The giants with a white facemask just looks so much better

I think you're missing the point. When people think of "Classic" basketball uniforms, rainbow nuggets uniforms aren't at the top of that list. It would probably be the Celtics. 

And the giants with a white facemask, as well as USC with a yellow facemask would turn both helmets into generic 90s looking helmets that would look like they belong to a team on the box of Blue Bell Creme Pops or on the screen in an ad selling tvs in the sunday paper during football season. 

No thanks. They'd look like a cheap high school team. The best options for USC are cardinal or gray.  And I'm not a huge fan of gray facemasks.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Just look at the nuggets old uniforms. Just because it's classic doesn't mean it'll work in modern day.

That is NOT a "classic" Nuggets uniform...

This is;

denver-nuggets-david-thompson-stands-on-

And you know what?  It probably would look better than whatever they come up with next.

1 minute ago, insert name said:

Only a few teams can make grey facemasks work better than a colored one. The Packers aren’t one of them. 

I don't disagree with this, but grey masks never look out of place, unlike other colors in some situations..

2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

The current look is not already more consistent, nor does it look the best.. The color rush pants are the perfect example of what they should be doing with the sleeves.. It looks SO much cleaner and mimics the 3-stripe pattern on the helmets.. Also, how did they "already" have yellow touching white? What does the modern template have to do with that?

Yes it is. There is a gap for the dominate color to seperate the stripes. Also their white pants do mimic the sleeve. The older design just looks generic to me imo (btw can I mention going all white is a total waste? Why not yellow?)

160913-color-rush-950.jpg

With older jerseys with long sleeves the stripes were full rings. Well now a day because many player have short sleeves the rings are halved and the yellow stripe cuts through the cap

GettyImages-491340734%20_OP_1_CP__147380

The old some may fit for players with long sleeves like Rodgers but most players have tight short sleeves messing yellow will touch white

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Wow... way too much talk about "consistent strips" (sic) and yellow getting inappropriate with white.

Let's make this simpler;

This...

c17ba5b3b8582aed01210ca8a9dc5968.jpgfootball-super-bowl-ii-green-bay-packers

looks significantly better than this...

packers-aaron-rodgers-leader-playoffs_fu

...for whatever reason you want to claim. It's just better.

Well to me it's the opposite. The top ones don't match the socks at all and just looks generic. What separates it from every other uniform from that time?

frank-ryanjpg-fe7e0009641784e7.jpg

39d7cf9e9e32c33d966c56d24cb35d54.jpg

fc7e9780e071143b028b26a210629744.jpg

Also how do you feel about the Vikings classic look? Just curious

PS as for consistency the green NEVER encompasses the yellow

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That is NOT a "classic" Nuggets uniform...

This is;

denver-nuggets-david-thompson-stands-on-

And you know what?  It probably would look better than whatever they come up with next.

Yes it is I constantly hear people say they should bring back the rainbows. They rocked those uniforms in 3 games which are in the record as highest scoring games in the nba so yes they are classics

Even then what's Hawaii's excuse?

hawaii543.jpg

39 minutes ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

Yes it is. There is a gap for the dominate color to seperate the stripes. Also their white pants do mimic the sleeve. The older design just looks generic to me imo (btw can I mention going all white is a total waste? Why not yellow?)

160913-color-rush-950.jpg

With older jerseys with long sleeves the stripes were full rings. Well now a day because many player have short sleeves the rings are halved and the yellow stripe cuts through the cap

GettyImages-491340734%20_OP_1_CP__147380

The old some may fit for players with long sleeves like Rodgers but most players have tight short sleeves messing yellow will touch white

No, the color rush pants don't mimic the sleeves.. At least not EXACTLY.. on the color rush pants, there is no white between the stripes like the jersey..

As for the modern fit issue, there's a HUGE difference between stacking white and yellow stripes on top of one another and having a the end of a yellow stripe bump into the white torso area of the jersey.. Again, apples and oranges.. Your example of white and yellow touching because the sleeve caps butt up against the torso doesn't affect the visual perception of the colors, while the thin white space on either side of the yellow stripe DOES affect how it looks.. That's the silliest point I've ever seen someone try to make..

And to your final point, I have no idea why not yellow.. I guess they decided adding white pants (a classic, traditional football look) was a better idea than being the fightin' bananas for a night..

17 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

No, the color rush pants don't mimic the sleeves.. At least not EXACTLY.. on the color rush pants, there is no white between the stripes like the jersey..

As for the modern fit issue, there's a HUGE difference between stacking white and yellow stripes on top of one another and having a the end of a yellow stripe bump into the white torso area of the jersey.. Again, apples and oranges.. Your example of white and yellow touching because the sleeve caps butt up against the torso doesn't affect the visual perception of the colors, while the thin white space on either side of the yellow stripe DOES affect how it looks.. That's the silliest point I've ever seen someone try to make..

And to your final point, I have no idea why not yellow.. I guess they decided adding white pants (a classic, traditional football look) was a better idea than being the fightin' bananas for a night..

Yes they do see the image I have 

Next the point I'm making is this imo is more consistent and appealing. I don't care about the yellow on white that much and it's honestly more distracting having the large stacked stripes than it does having them spaced. I don't care if it looks muddy it looks much better to me. White jerseys are essentially meant to be an inverse and it just looks more aPpealing than without the space. The only way it could work is if like ghee Stryker they keep the stripping the same but with green trim

1 minute ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

Yes they do see the image I have 

Next the point I'm making is this imo is more consistent and appealing. I don't care about the yellow on white that much and it's honestly more distracting having the large stacked stripes than it does having them spaced. I don't care if it looks muddy it looks much better to me. White jerseys are essentially meant to be an inverse

The image you posted is a photoshopped image for marketing purposes.. Just Google packers color rush uniforms and look at the in-game photos.. Pictures of the ACTUAL product tend to be more reliable than photoshopped promo pics

Archived