NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

1 hour ago, whitedawg22 said:

I generally agree, but there need to be exceptions. Racist nickname aside, the color balance of Washington's helmet is damn near perfect:

washington-redskins-nfl-draft-fantasy-pr

The helmet looks so much more dull with a gray facemask:

defensive-end-ron-mcdole-defensive-tackl

You sure the second helmets don't look dull because they're flat paint instead of metallic?  :rolleyes:

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/30/2018 at 9:07 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "what's Hawaii's excuse?"  

"Hawaii's men's teams currently use three different nicknames. The football team is known as the Warriors, while the basketball team is known as the Rainbow Warriors and the baseball team is referred to as the Rainbows.

The Rainbows nickname dates to 1923, when a rainbow appeared over the field during an upset of Oregon State. Reporters started calling the team, then known as the Deans, the Rainbows.

A legend started that the team wouldn't lose whenever a rainbow appeared on the field.

Hawaii's football team adopted the nickname the Rainbow Warriors in 1974."

Did you not know this?

I know they were the Rainbow Warriors but it still looks silly. Just because it has rainbow in the name doesn't mean they need to plaster it everywhere. When you take your mascot name too seriously you get this

d11c9e2f-660d-4c27-b329-f0c43529ad12-lar

You don't need to take it so literally. If Denver is ridiculous so it Hawaii and if you say 'But Rainbow Warriors' well what if they renamed to the Rainbow Nuggets?

Also as for the Packers again I do not care. I think it looks perfectly fine with the white space and prefer it over the generic striping that nearly every other team. There is enough space for it to be distinct and to me looks more appealing than the thick solid stripes. I do not think the thick solid sleeve stripes looks good. To me the consistency is the spacing between the stripes and without it annoys me on the white jersey. Either remove the trim on the green jersey or include it on the white jerseys. I don't get how the white trim on yellow numbers makes it okay but not on stripes. That makes no sense. I don't get why you are acting like your opinion is right and better than mine. As a Vikings fan what do you think of the Vikings old school jerseys? 

ponder-petersen.jpg

I don't see people complain about these

On 5/30/2018 at 10:42 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

No idea.  Do you have some thoughts on why it should be banned? Is it just because it's old?

It is banned because it prevents concussions the least. They have a 1 star in preventing concussion. I'm sure players will be grandfathered in

1 hour ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

ponder-petersen.jpg

I think people don't complain about them because they are throwbacks (or were... they haven't been worn since 2010) and are therefore held to different standards. All the things that are kind of wonky about them... the mismatched helmet color, the trimmed stripes but untrimmed numbers, the gray facemask... people appreciate these things because they are accurate to the uniform being recreated, not because they are necessarily aesthetically pleasing.  I'm pretty sure that if the Vikings never had this uniform in the past and simply debut it as a new look, it would get skewered. By me, included.

You're interested in whether there are any new designs that are liked more then previous ones... I get the feeling you think some people (which, as a resident grumpy old traditionalist, would definitely include me) like things better simply because they're older.  I don't think that's true, and it's kind of insulting to denigrate someones opinion as being "just about tradition". For myself, I think the Vikings current uniform is the second best they've ever looked.  I'd rank their uniforms in this order;

Best - 1960's

quarterback-joe-kapp-of-the-minnesota-vi

The original uni differs from the throwback you posted in the slightly larger horn, and the trimmed numbers.  This to me is, without question, the definitive Vikings.  Perfect... not damn near, just perfect.  I also prefer the road jersey with the northwestern stripes to the popular, but over rated ucla stripes that came later;

3c7f83e243f39104063602279fa56c7c.jpg

Extra points for the striped road socks.

Second Best - Current

Screen-Shot-2018-01-14-at-9.51.16-PM.png

IMO, an excellent modern uniform. It gets some complaints around here for the overly clever number font, and left-field black mask, but my only real problem with it is the leotard-inducing road socks.  White socks with stripes worn with the purple pants would make this look push the original for my top favorite.

Third best - 1990's

jsgdpuqpsmboh72tfv1y.jpg

cartermoss.jpg

Worked very well at the time, but feels really dated to me now.  I've especially soured on the road UCLA stripes... between the shoulder numbers, shoulder stripes, and logo, it's all to crowded.

Fourth  - 1970s - 1980's

1-18.jpg

minnesota-1980-tommy-kramer.jpg

Very popular with Viking fans, but again, very dated IMO.  Especially the white mask helmet... ick. I've already mentioned the inconsistencies when discussing the throwback to this look.

Worst... by far - 00's

080cbaf544dc07a3ce4e06a4d2bb24b0

You know, I'd really just rather not talk about it.

As for "I don't get why you are acting like your opinion is right and better than mine"... it's because I was kind of being a jerk, I guess.  Good on you to call me out on it. 

1 hour ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

I know they were the Rainbow Warriors but it still looks silly. Just because it has rainbow in the name doesn't mean they need to plaster it everywhere. When you take your mascot name too seriously you get this

You don't need to take it so literally. If Denver is ridiculous so it Hawaii and if you say 'But Rainbow Warriors' well what if they renamed to the Rainbow Nuggets?

Also as for the Packers again I do not care. I think it looks perfectly fine with the white space and prefer it over the generic striping that nearly every other team. There is enough space for it to be distinct and to me looks more appealing than the thick solid stripes. I do not think the thick solid sleeve stripes looks good. To me the consistency is the spacing between the stripes and without it annoys me on the white jersey. Either remove the trim on the green jersey or include it on the white jerseys. I don't get how the white trim on yellow numbers makes it okay but not on stripes. That makes no sense. I don't get why you are acting like your opinion is right and better than mine. As a Vikings fan what do you think of the Vikings old school jerseys? 

ponder-petersen.jpg

As I stated previously and oldschoolvikings stated as well, people don't complain about these because they're a throwback.. The purpose of this uniform wasn't necessarily to "look good", it was to "look exactly like a previous uniform".. They did a decent job in that department.. But again, as throwbacks go, they don't typically get critiqued on the merits of their design, but rather the accuracy of replicating a previous design.. 

And to your point, somewhere along the way, the Vikings made the decision to stop wearing that style, so they might've seen the same issues that we're seeing with it now, which might be why they stopped wearing it.. who knows??.. 

21 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

A lot of players would just cut those off. 

Then you suspend them for the game and they lose a week's salary. The league is allowed to enforce a dress code. The average person can't wear cutoff jeans on a casual Friday. MLB players can't turn their jerseys into tanktops to show of their guns (at least since Ted Kluszewski). They shouldn't dick around and fine players laughable amounts like they used to for sock violations. Tell the players "wear the uniforms as they're given to you or you don't get paid," and you won't have players deviating from it.

18 hours ago, Gupti said:

But why?

Why not? Because it would look good and be useful to team branding.

13 hours ago, dont care said:

There is no need for it from a performance stand point. It would be purely for aesthetics that would only please a small percentage of people mostly on these boards. The rest would view them like when adidas added sleeves to basketball jerseys 

First off, see Andrew Harrington's post about it covering up the pads. With armpits exposed, and pads usually sticking out, it gives players easy access to get a hand in and hold the opposing player. And no way in hell would people consider it like the NBA adding sleeves. Football jerseys have sleeves. They always have had sleeves of some sort until maybe a decade ago and the advent of Chris Hovan. And literally every replica jersey worn by fans has sleeves. It would make jerseys consistent across the whole team, allow more opportunities for branding, and do away with the sloppy look of armpits and pads sticking out. I'm not seeing any down side.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

12 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

I generally agree, but there need to be exceptions. Racist nickname aside, the color balance of Washington's helmet is damn near perfect:

washington-redskins-nfl-draft-fantasy-pr

The helmet looks so much more dull with a gray facemask:

defensive-end-ron-mcdole-defensive-tackl

Count me as someone who hates Washington's Yellow mask.  To me, it's such a relic of the 70's. (I know, I'm the one who tends to advocate for gray masks, so I guess I have a lot of nerve to call yellows masks "relics", but i'm doing it anyway.) Their yellow mask, like the Chargers' Dan Fouts era yellow mask, is just so garish, I'm tired of looking at it. A burgundy mask would be nice, but I wouldn't complain about gray at all.

IMO, the following teams would look just fine in gray masks (assuming we're talking about current uniforms, as is);

Bears, L.A. Rams (would actually be an improvement over white), Washington, Patriots (hate the red mask, always wanted navy), Steelers, and Chiefs.

And these teams could pull it off, although it wouldn't necessarily be preferable; 

Eagles, Vikings, Jets, Packers, and Seahawks (lots of gray on the Seahawks' uniform).

8 hours ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

ponder-petersen.jpg

If they renamed the team the Rainbow Nuggets, it would make a lot more sense, but that’s a preposterous hypothetical. Hawaii’s teams actually are/were called the Rainbow Warriors. It’s part of the landscape with Hawaii’s rainy season, and there’s even a local anecdote that inspired the name. It’s entirely appropriate, refreshing, and fun for them to wear rainbow stripes. I’m not really sure what Denver’s attachment is. It’s one of the sunniest places in the country.

I also enjoy Florida dressing up as a gator (and Oregon dressing like Donald). I don’t think they nailed the uniform, but again, it’s fun and I think it’s healthier for the brand than trotting out white helmets, blue helmets, different combinations every week, etc. Just keep it out of the big games. It might be a gimmick, but if it ever came down to it, I’d much rather see Alabama wear full houndstooth for an early season game than start playing with color combos and finishes.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

This whole ordeal has been such a cluster that I’ll believe it when I see it. Not sure the league would give them a pass after already modifying their set to primarily navy and white when they had the chance to originally do throwbacks. If they do, that’s simply a pity favor from the league seeing as the Rams have no one to blame but themselves. It does seem odd that they could have four distinct sets within such a small window (navy/gold, navy/white, royal/yellow throwbacks, future redesign).

20 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

080cbaf544dc07a3ce4e06a4d2bb24b0

16 hours ago, insert name said:

I used to like these. 

Yeah, I liked them too, except:

• Would have looked much better with a professional number font and not that ridiculous rounded-corner nonsense.  That font looks terrible, which is saying a lot since it's thisclose to being regular block.  That little tweak meant a whole lot.
  • The pants were terrible, and designed specifically to force white over purple, but they rarely actually wore that, so they had mismatched panels.  It was really short sighted to design the pants the way they did.  They should have either had both jerseys have the same color side panel (and extend that to the pants, like the Patriots do) or have the side panel on the jersey taper off so that it doesn't actually contact the pants.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In hindsight, those 2006 Vikings jerseys are one of the league's biggest downgrades, ever. The traditional set used prior to 2006 was excellent, IMO.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I really should've done my research prior to my Cardinals comment (but I do think they'd be 10x better in a red facemask).

The Vikings 00's era uniforms exemplified the absolute worst in the uniform design of that era: too many garish elements, culminating with jersey piping. We see this with other uniforms such as the Rams, Bengals, and of course Pats, but this might take the cake as the most unnecessary of the bunch. It doesn't help that the sets before and after this are very strong uniforms.

Speaking of the Rams, they should just go to blue and gold and call it a day.

NSFCvyu.png

On 6/2/2018 at 8:47 AM, TSHARE18 said:

Rams should have went back to the Eric Dickerson uniforms the moment they moved back to LA. They wanted to wait until they open their new stadium, so now they look terrible for 5 years. 

I'll never understand the thought process behind trying to wait 3-4 years for a stadium to open before debuting new jerseys. Seems like a lot of wasted revenue that could have been had on jerseys. I'm sure the rest of the merchandise will probably sell fine though.

Not sure if this is relevant or not but the Fanatics home page shows the Rams in the throwback and color rush jersey so there could be some truth to the Navy jerseys being gone

79cf8292-e0c9-40fc-be60-e640bc62e8db.jpg

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

On 6/2/2018 at 6:52 AM, Old School Fool said:

The Rams screwed this up really bad. The first year was the navy/gold, then the fan vote? Navy/White combo? Why? Why did they do that? They made it worse.

And the main reason why they chose wearing white at home for all except the throwback games was the fact they do not want to embarass the fans in by wearing navy jersey with gold numerals and no gold whatsoever in their helmets and their pants.  The home fans would rather prefer this:

Image result for 2018 rams falcons

Than this:

Image result for 2018 rams jaguars

I know if I was a Rams fan, I would.

Archived