NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

13 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Regarding the Super Bowl Champion Eagles’ rings:

2. “We all we got, we all we need” was basically them saying that they don’t need Wentz or the other injured guys. It’s totally just innocent motivation for the guys that were still playing, but kinda sucks for Wentz since his ring literally points out that he wasn’t playing

Ummmmm..."We all we got" was the team motto going back to their August 10th pre-season game against the Packers.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, mafiaman said:

Ummmmm..."We all we got" was the team motto going back to their August 10th pre-season game against the Packers.

It's also something various NFL teams have chanted for years and not really something the Eagles can claim ownership of.

(skip to the end)

12 hours ago, mafiaman said:

Thanks for the “ummmmm” - I appreciate the pause before correcting me. 

If thats the case then its its pretty dumb to put on the ring. The first I heard it was when Malcom Jenkins was doing a locker speech either immediately after wentz got hurt or the following week. Otherwise it’s too generic to have enough meaning to memorialize. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 hours ago, Eszcz21 said:

Yeah how about no, the Bears have been Navy and Orange since the 1920’s.

My point isn't the color combo itself, it's the uniqueness of the combo of this specific set: navy helmet, orange jersey, white pants, navy socks. Thus, even though the Bears are using their historic colors, the way they use it with the orange jersey looks more Broncos than Bears. 

11 hours ago, hawk36 said:

My point isn't the color combo itself, it's the uniqueness of the combo of this specific set: navy helmet, orange jersey, white pants, navy socks. Thus, even though the Bears are using their historic colors, the way they use it with the orange jersey looks more Broncos than Bears. 

Road pants and socks wouldn't be a bad option for the orange jerseys

On 6/16/2018 at 10:55 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

Thanks for the “ummmmm” - I appreciate the pause before correcting me. 

If thats the case then its its pretty dumb to put on the ring. The first I heard it was when Malcom Jenkins was doing a locker speech either immediately after wentz got hurt or the following week. Otherwise it’s too generic to have enough meaning to memorialize. 

Maybe generic in your eyes...I'll defer to the guys who played on the team for their opinion on the matter.

1 hour ago, mafiaman said:

Maybe generic in your eyes...I'll defer to the guys who played on the team for their opinion on the matter.

No need to.  I know more than them about what should go on their rings.  If anything, they should have deferred to me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I was watching a video of Madden 19 and I realized that the Jaguars basically have the worst socks ever. i understand they wanted it to go with the pants but the problem is that players wear their socks differently, so the intended effect they are going for may or may not look right depending on the player.

teul7kM.pngNhyKw7j.png

bSLCtu2.png

3 hours ago, C-Squared said:

Those Jags unis are the scared-to-take-a-risk equivalent of signing Blake Bortles to an extension.

Well, do you remember what happened last time they took a risk with their uniforms? I’ll take what I can get at this point ;) 

spacer.png

14 hours ago, C-Squared said:

Those Jags unis are the scared-to-take-a-risk equivalent of signing Blake Bortles to an extension.

I see it as the opposite. Look at the trends of the NFL; Titans, Bucs, Seahawks, Browns, their last uni... this one goes Away from all of that completely. It’s the one uni that isn’t trying so damn hard to “tell a story”

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

15 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

I see it as the opposite. Look at the trends of the NFL; Titans, Bucs, Seahawks, Browns, their last uni... this one goes Away from all of that completely. It’s the one uni that isn’t trying so damn hard to “tell a story”

While I agree with the sentiment of your post, I can't help but think they were trying (and failed) to do something "Unique" with those stupid pants and socks stripes.. Neither of those elements bring anything whatsoever to the table..

The pants stripe thingy is hardly noticeable and puzzling when noticed.. And the socks stripe just looks awkwardly stretched.. 

I can respect the simplicity of the uniforms, but I think they still tried to get cute with a couple things..

Well it looks like we may just have to rip up our previous understanding of the NFL uniform rules. Sounds like in addition to primary uniforms, clubs may now have both alternates and throwbacks.

Straight from the Bears:

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears-unveil-orange-nike-jerseys

For the first time, the NFL is allowing teams to wear alternate jerseys in addition to a classic jersey that was formerly described as a throwback. The Bears will again wear their 1940s-era classic uniform in a game that has yet to be determined.

“Before it was a tough choice because it was either the alternate orange jersey or the classic jersey,” McCaskey said. “This year we’re really excited that they’re going to allow us to wear both in the same season.”

This brings up a lot of thoughts. How does Color Rush play into this? Could a team have 5 uniforms? It appears like the Bears are using their orange alternates and the throwbacks as normal uniforms with contrasting pants, rather than monochrome. It seems like both are outside the normal Color Rush rules. On the other hand, Chicago might not be the best team to make an interpretation of the rule since they wear mono navy (uniform pieces already in their wardrobe) for their Color Rush. Where teams could be limited is the one helmet rule, preventing some from being able to take advantage of the 5 uniforms, if that is a thing.

Take the Chargers for example- they’re the first team I could think of that currently have four uniforms and could do a throwback with the one helmet rule. They could hypothetically have navy blue (home), white (road), powder blue (alternate), royal (their current Color Rush), and now reintroduce their classic powder blues.

32 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Well it looks like we may just have to rip up our previous understanding of the NFL uniform rules. Sounds like in addition to primary uniforms, clubs may now have both alternates and throwbacks.

Straight from the Bears:

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears-unveil-orange-nike-jerseys

This brings up a lot of thoughts. How does Color Rush play into this? Could a team have 5 uniforms? It appears like the Bears are using their orange alternates and the throwbacks as normal uniforms with contrasting pants, rather than monochrome. It seems like both are outside the normal Color Rush rules. On the other hand, Chicago might not be the best team to make an interpretation of the rule since they wear mono navy (uniform pieces already in their wardrobe) for their Color Rush. Where teams could be limited is the one helmet rule, preventing some from being able to take advantage of the 5 uniforms, if that is a thing.

Take the Chargers for example- they’re the first team I could think of that currently have four uniforms and could do a throwback with the one helmet rule. They could hypothetically have navy blue (home), white (road), powder blue (alternate), royal (their current Color Rush), and now reintroduce their classic powder blues.

I would imagine this new rule change is in lieu of color rush.. With the program officially ending, it allows teams to keep their color rush jersey if they choose (perhaps it was popular among fans, maybe a test of a potential rebrand or at least jersey change, etc).. I actually like the new rule with a couple caveats.

- I would still cap the number of times a non-primary look can be worn at home at 2..

- I would like a max of 1 road non-primary look

- I would urge teams to attempt to design one of their non-primary jerseys with the ability to wear it on the road (example: Miami could have aqua home, white road, orange alt, white throwback similar to current aqua throwback... Or LA Rams could have white and navy primaries, Royal throwback, yellow alt which could be worn on the road, especially at Oakland or Seattle).. This would help limit the jerseys to 4, while still allowing some fun and marketing etc..

- I wouldn't want to see 5 jerseys in rotation UNLESS they limited it to 1 game in home alt jersey, 1 game in home throwback jersey, 1 game in road alt or throwback.. 

We've allowed teams 2 games in alts or throwbacks, plus color rush, so this wouldn't be much of a departure from that, except the teams would look much better..

to the best of my knowledge, this rule stems from the failed Color Rush initiative. there are some teams who want to keep wearing their CR uniforms but because its no longer a requirement, the NFL has opened it up as an option. teams will have their home, away, alternate, and throwback jersey option for the season. if im not mistaken, teams can wear the alternate and throwback twice each. and as the 100th season approaches, this could also be a preview of what is to come, but that's only a guess.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

From a branding perspective, this allows teams to sell four "new" jerseys now (They already sold throwbacks but now this allows them to get it on the newest template if a team does have a throwback) which should = more $$$ for the league

The only thing I wonder if they will eventually cave and implement is allowing an alternate helmet again for a maximum of 2 games. I'm sure they would try and restrict this to being worn with the throwback only. I can't imagine them allowing an alternate helmet for a 3rd jersey or to pair with the home jersey

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

4 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

and as the 100th season approaches, this could also be a preview of what is to come, but that's only a guess.

I've been thinking for a while that the NFL will want to do some sort of uniform promotion for the 100th season. I'm just wondering what (if anything) they'll do about the one-helmet rule. I'd imagine lots of teams will want to wear classic uniforms but won't be able to because of that rule.

Atlanta, Denver, Indianapolis, New England, New York (Jets), Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Tennessee, and Washington could all potentially have to significantly modify classic uniforms in order to wear with their current helmets.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

22 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

Only problem with it is that there's not enough color (all-black primaries) or flare (no gold except on the helmet logo).

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived