NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

4 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

The writing is on the wall - no team is going to have a redesigned uniform with block font. Since Nike took over the NFL's uniform contract in 2012, every single redesign has featured a custom font. This is true even when a redesign pushes the team in a "traditional" direction, like the Jaguars. I can think of only one team in recent memory (15+ years) who had a significant redesign using block font - the Bills, when they went to their current throwback-ish look in 2011. But that was under Reebok's watch, and even then, the Bills had never stopped using a block font. Given this observation, it would be extremely out-of-character for the Dolphins to go to a strict throwback for their primary look.

To be fair, there’s no single set of numbers you can point to and definitively say, “that’s the athletic block typeface.” Athletic block is a broad category into which many different styles fit. Since it became popular, there have been dozens of variations of it, either because it was hand cut by different independent shops (early part of the century) or different manufacturers carried their own house variation of it (mid-later part of the century). Even different sports have specific versions that are more associated with only those sports (think MLB’s very distinctive version or CCM’s block, which is still hanging around on a few teams).

These type styles were created before typography became the art it is today, and the old ones have to evolve just like any other piece of design.

Also, Vegas launched with a pretty standard block number set. If a team wants one badly enough, they’ll be able to get it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

To be fair, there’s no single set of numbers you can point to and definitively say, “that’s the athletic block typeface."

Be that as it may, we're not splitting hairs comparing the umbrella "traditional block font" family to gimmick fonts with faux-vintage spikes or stylized mutant Viking horns... especially considering that Miami's current uni font is custom.

I agree that any team could choose whatever font they wish, though the throwback might be enough already... I believe the Bills' navy stripe around their primary numbers exists in large part simply to differentiate from the very similar throwback jerseys they currently wear, which is a really lazy design element, IMO... Miami has struck a great balance by pushing the brand forward while fielding a 10/10 throwback. There's no real need to cannibalize the former when the throwback exists, especially after the newest jersey updates (maybe a better custom font in 2023!)

Browns take the field against the Giants with no middle stripe on their helmets for some reason

To be honest it doesn't look awful. And my Jets for years played the pre season with no helmet logo and practice jerseys so not unprecedented

Wonder if it's a team building "earn your stripes" thing much like you have to earn your font for the Red Wings

9 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Browns take the field against the Giants with no middle stripe on their helmets for some reason

To be honest it doesn't look awful. And my Jets for years played the pre season with no helmet logo and practice jerseys so not unprecedented

Wonder if it's a team building "earn your stripes" thing much like you have to earn your font for the Red Wings

Yes, no stripes until you make the 53

1 hour ago, C-Squared said:

Be that as it may, we're not splitting hairs comparing the umbrella "traditional block font" family to gimmick fonts with faux-vintage spikes or stylized mutant Viking horns... especially considering that Miami's current uni font is custom.

I agree that any team could choose whatever font they wish, though the throwback might be enough already... I believe the Bills' navy stripe around their primary numbers exists in large part simply to differentiate from the very similar throwback jerseys they currently wear, which is a really lazy design element, IMO... Miami has struck a great balance by pushing the brand forward while fielding a 10/10 throwback. There's no real need to cannibalize the former when the throwback exists, especially after the newest jersey updates (maybe a better custom font in 2023!)

I agree. I’m 100% for custom numbers as often as possible, but I also very much consider a variation on a block number a custom number, even if it’s a simple variation like what the Jaguars did. To me it’s part of the process of eliminating the flaws that are present on most classic block number sets.

I think the overall vibe of Miami’s logo, numbers, and uniform design are spot on (I just don’t think the logo or numbers are executed very well), and I much prefer it as a full time look over the throwback, which is essentially a Browns uniform in aqua. Leave that for a game every year against an old rival or an anniversary. That’s where it’s most appropriate to me.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, bowld said:

JvKtlJswU98eROpyFGlp-g27QpivV0pIHSAh5IZv

thats a good looking design if you ask me that only gets stronger as you see it multiplied— 11 guys on the field at once.

one thing i HATE about the Vapor Untouchable pants though is that they're so thin. and when you have white pants, every seam is visable and the pockets when filled with pads stand out in such an unflattering way. it looks so damn cheap

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

15 minutes ago, kimball said:

So when do they take off the practice jerseys?

New thing they're trying for motivation... players have to stay there five years before they can wear real NFL game jerseys.

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

These new Jaguars uniforms just look unfinished. They're glorified practice jerseys. 

26 minutes ago, kimball said:

So when do they take off the practice jerseys?

19 minutes ago, hugevolsfan said:

The jags look like they are still practicing but those helmets are so sharp

4 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

Jags jerseys look like practice jerseys.

No.

They don't.

I think the main issue with the Jags is that the sleeve stripe is hidden on most players since they tuck their jersey under the pads. 

That said, I think the teal stripe on the black jersey will pop better and have a better chance of standing out 

Archived