Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, shstpt1 said:

What really drives me nuts, and makes me wonder sometimes... is when the announcers spend the entire weekend hyping up one racer as THE guy to beat, even talking about said racer in the other series telecasts, focuses on that driver the entire pre-race and throughout the race, then that driver ends up winning. I get it that statistics show certain tenancies at different tracks, and if this happened once in a while it wouldn't be completely terrible. But I feel like more often than not, I can watch the first 5 minutes of qualifying and predict who will win the race on Sunday just by the comments the announcers make. 

While I understand where you're coming from, that's just the nature of the sport. Certain drivers are going to be better at different tracks than others. That's why Harvick has been favored at Atlanta for the better part of the last five years because he's dominated there and at Phoenix and has the stats to prove it. I can almost guarantee that when they go to Auto Club in a couple weeks and Michigan in the summer, Kyle Larson will be the favorite since three of his four wins came at those tracks last season. Kyle Busch will likely be the favorite to win at Bristol and Richmond due to his success at those tracks. Truex will likely be the favorite to win at most 1.5 mile tracks this season because of how he dominated last year.

 

Like I said, it's just the current state of the sport at the moment. Guys have better resumes at tracks on the circuit than others, making them heavily favored. To compare it to College Basketball, North Carolina, Duke, and Villanova are sure to be favorites despite how they got to the tournament because that's just what they do in March: win games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite his struggles over the past few years, AJ Allmendinger is still considered a favorite at road courses. He's usually always talked about at Sonoma and Watkins Glen as a "guy to watch out for" or "my pick to win", along with guys who have had consistent success at these tracks; like Kyle Busch for example.

 

There are drivers who have their specific tracks they are dynamite at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And it may stick out more than ever this year with many veteran drivers gone from the sport. 

Between the 8 drivers that drive for Hendrick Motorsports and Joe Gibbs Racing, only 3 of those drivers have won Cup races. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Way too early season outlook for Chevy has to be grim. Sure they wound up 1-2 with Dillon and Bubba in Daytona, but that was after a day of domination by Ryan Blaney. Didn't see much out of them last week either except for a last-ditch effort with Chase at Atlanta.

 

Now nearing the end of stage one in Vegas, only four Camaros run in the top 20, with Chase Elliott being the highest-running in 9th. Jimmie Johnson and William Byron runs 3+ laps down as well in a Hendrick organization that used to dominate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Results from Las Vegas:

 

1. Harvick

2. Kyle Busch

3. Larson

4. Truex Jr.

5. Blaney

6. Keselowski

7. Logano

8. Jones

9. Menard

10. Almirola

 

Stage 1 & 2 winner: Harvick

 

Now if this is ford getting rid of the fusion, this is a going away party that no one won't forget. Harvick continued his lessons from Atlanta & just dominated. Only one Chevy in the top 10, kind of shocked to see that but it is a new body so it will take some getting used to adjust. However, Ford has just dominated this season so far.  Can Harvick win 3 straight? Considering where they're going next, his chances look good.


Next up, Phoenix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Harvick's team got a significant penalty, lost their playoff points, and lost 20 driver and owner points for the rear window brace being altered.

 

My question is, if this happens, why not strip him of the win completely and declare Kyle Busch the winner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

So Harvick's team got a significant penalty, lost their playoff points, and lost 20 driver and owner points for the rear window brace being altered.

 

My question is, if this happens, why not strip him of the win completely and declare Kyle Busch the winner?

 

Because NASCAR still thinks like it's 1950: Winner has to be announced before everyone leaves the track.

They don't like using Twitter, InstaGram, etc, to announce winners. 

*eyeroll*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Needschat said:

 

Because NASCAR still thinks like it's 1950: Winner has to be announced before everyone leaves the track.

They don't like using Twitter, InstaGram, etc, to announce winners. 

*eyeroll*

I know, right? Besides, NASCAR itself would be the best source to declare the winner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Gman13 said:

I know, right? Besides, NASCAR itself would be the best source to declare the winner.

 

It's like they forgot that the first Daytona 500 winner was not declared until the following Wednesday!

 

Going forward, I have the next time a car is deemed illegal lose the win and the second place finisher is given the playoff points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Needschat said:

 

It's like they forgot that the first Daytona 500 winner was not declared until the following Wednesday!

 

Going forward, I have the next time a car is deemed illegal lose the win and the second place finisher is given the playoff points.

 

Wow. I never knew that about the race, even though I’m not really into NASCAR.

 

P.S. The Daytona 500 takes place in Daytona Beach, Florida, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gman13 said:

 

Wow. I never knew that about the race, even though I’m not really into NASCAR.

 

P.S. The Daytona 500 takes place in Daytona Beach, Florida, right?

Correct, it verry much does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Speedway is like a few blocks away from the beach area where they used to race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

The Speedway is like a few blocks away from the beach area where they used to race.

More like miles...its about a 12 minute drive from the speedway to the beach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Results from Phoenix:

 

1. Harvick

2. Kyle Busch

3. Elliott

4. Hamlin

5. Truex Jr.

6. Bowyer

7. Almirola

8. Suarez

9. Jones

10. Kurt Busch

 

Stage 1 winner: Kyle Busch

Stage 2 Winner: Kurt Busch

 

No matter how hard they try, you simply cannot stop the closer at Phoenix. He's just so good at this track. Harvick finally wins 3 in a row, 40th career win & you could tell he was driving mad. He wanted that win & he got it. It was also a great day for Stewart Haas as well as all of their cars finished in the top 10. I think unless something happens, Harvick has a real good shot to win in it all.

 

Next up, the west coast trip ends at Fontana.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rvrdgsfn said:

Results from Phoenix:

 

1. Harvick

2. Kyle Busch

3. Elliott

4. Hamlin

5. Truex Jr.

6. Bowyer

7. Almirola

8. Suarez

9. Jones

10. Kurt Busch

 

Stage 1 winner: Kyle Busch

Stage 2 Winner: Kurt Busch

 

No matter how hard they try, you simply cannot stop the closer at Phoenix. He's just so good at this track. Harvick finally wins 3 in a row, 40th career win & you could tell he was driving mad. He wanted that win & he got it. It was also a great day for Stewart Haas as well as all of their cars finished in the top 10. I think unless something happens, Harvick has a real good shot to win in it all.

 

Next up, the west coast trip ends at Fontana.

 

You’re right, @rvrdgsfn, this trip has its final stop at Fontana, California, near San Bernardino, California.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

End of an era. 

Like when Stewart lost Home Depot. 

 

It will I’ll just never look right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

End of an era. 

Like when Stewart lost Home Depot. 

 

It will I’ll just never look right. 

Stewart never lost Home Depot, Home Depot stayed with the 20 after Logano took over and then HD left the 20 in 2012.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DNAsports said:
Jimmie Johnson to lose Lowe's as primary sponsor following 2018 season

Perfect timing to Jimmie to walk away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Perfect timing to Jimmie to walk away

This is tricky. Losing a long time sponsor is tough for any driver. I think he has about two good years left, but also has 7 championships and 83 wins. I'd say he's accomplished enough to garner a first ballot HOF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now