Crabcake

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

He wanted San Antonio because he was convinced that the Superdome wouldn't be ready in time for 2006. And the San Antonio mayor was so up for the NFL he told MLS to buzz off after the previous mayor tried getting a team in. 

The family's now fighting to move his funeral to San Antonio...

nav-logo.png

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ravens sign Crabtree to a 3 year, $21 million deal with $11 million guaranteed. Love this deal. Less years and money for a proven, red zone weapon, possession receiver than for Ryan Grant. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Mac the Knife said:

TQpfHYzr.jpg

Naw, I asked because frankly I wouldn't be surprised.

Not sure if you knew this, but when you say "family" that only means his daughter, grandson & granddaughter, who tried to have Benson declared incompetent a few years back when he essentially disowned them and took them out of ownership of his sports franchises.

That happened because apparently his FAMILY didn't get along with his last WIFE (not family) Gayle Benson, who is now the owner of both the Saints and the Pelicans. Which was interesting as up until about 2014, he was grooming his granddaughter, (Rita Benson LeBlanc) to eventually take over the team.  But she blew it.  Rita Benson Leblanc, who grew up in Texas, graduated from Texas A&M was also rumored to be one of the ones pushing Tom Benson towards San Antonio immediately following Katrina.

The "family" actually does live in Texas, with houses in Johnson City, Blanco, and ... San Antonio.  And Tom Benson spent a bit of his young professional life in San Antonio, where he first made his fortune with car dealerships.

It is what it is.

16 hours ago, B-Rich said:

Naw, I asked because frankly I wouldn't be surprised.

Not sure if you knew this, but when you say "family" that only means his daughter, grandson & granddaughter, who tried to have Benson declared incompetent a few years back when he essentially disowned them and took them out of ownership of his sports franchises.

That happened because apparently his FAMILY didn't get along with his last WIFE (not family) Gayle Benson, who is now the owner of both the Saints and the Pelicans. Which was interesting as up until about 2014, he was grooming his granddaughter, (Rita Benson LeBlanc) to eventually take over the team.  But she blew it.  Rita Benson Leblanc, who grew up in Texas, graduated from Texas A&M was also rumored to be one of the ones pushing Tom Benson towards San Antonio immediately following Katrina.

The "family" actually does live in Texas, with houses in Johnson City, Blanco, and ... San Antonio.  And Tom Benson spent a bit of his young professional life in San Antonio, where he first made his fortune with car dealerships.

No, I know the history.  In fact, I've met Rita a few times.  I feel what's about to happen with that franchise is going to be a damned shame.

nav-logo.png

On 3/15/2018 at 6:32 PM, MJWalker45 said:

He wanted San Antonio because he was convinced that the Superdome wouldn't be ready in time for 2006. And the San Antonio mayor was so up for the NFL he told MLS to buzz off after the previous mayor tried getting a team in. 

The MLS team San Antonio was in contention for was the San Jose Earthquakes, which AEG eventually moved to Houston (Dynamo) and won 2 MLS cups in their debut. And a few years later the Saints won their Super Bowl. What coulda been...

A decade later, San Antonio isn’t on the NFL radar and is still pursuing MLS but thanks to Anthony Precourt (Crew), may ultimately get passed up for Austin. No MLS. No NFL. 

On another note: Tyrann Mathieu to the Texans for 1 year, $7M. 

NYCdog.png

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Colts trade #3 overall draft pick to the Jets for the #6 overall draft pick, two 2018 2nd round picks, and a 2019 2nd round pick.

NYJ leaping past DEN is a pretty big deal.

CLE could now take Barkley #1, screw the NYG, and NYJ can really get whomever they like with CLE getting Chubb or gamble on the QB they want.

BUF and MIA are stuck outside the top 10, so IND at #6 could still move down and get more 2nd day/top 100 picks.

23 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Because McCown breaks easily.

And what about Bridgwater? 

Jets are going to have 3 QBs that need reps if they take one with the #3 pick.

Jets doing Jets things I guess. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

1 hour ago, ozzyman314 said:

If Jets are going for a QB, why did they waste all that money on Bridgewater? 

They basically had to.

They've got $90M in cap space this season and must average spending 89% of the cap over a four year period. This is year 2 of said four year period and the cap increased by $10M from last season.

The new FOX Thursday night deal will have it increase even more due to TFR (total football revenue).

4 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

If Jets are going for a QB, why did they waste all that money on Bridgewater? 

Contract numbers don't necessarily mean anything, unless you're Kirk Cousins.

Orlando Scandrick released by Dallas. Can't say I'm surprised. He was serviceable when he was healthy; but last year, he got injured, and despite the trial by fire the rookies in the secondary got, they did preform well and are cheaper to the wallet than Scandrick is.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

22 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Raiders trade Cordarrelle Patterson to the Patriots 

Is he decent? 

Honestly don’t know much about him. Sounds familiar though.

Guessing he’s their replacement for Amendola. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

37 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

Is he decent? 

Honestly don’t know much about him. Sounds familiar though.

Guessing he’s their replacement for Amendola. 

Drafted by the Vikings a few years ago. He was supposed to be the next best thing, but never panned out in Minnesota. Ended up in Oakland last year and didn't do much either. He's known for his speed and is primarily used as a kick returner.

Archived