Crabcake

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/17/2018 at 3:14 PM, dfwabel said:

CLE could now take Barkley #1, screw the NYG, and NYJ can really get whomever they like with CLE getting Chubb or gamble on the QB they want.

If Cleveland drafts anything other than a franchise quarterback at #1?  What fans the Browns have left are going to lynch the entire front office staff.

Deal #4 and #35 to the Giants and do the unprecedented:  get the #2 pick to follow #1.  Use #1 to get a quarterback, then use #2 to get Barkley or, knowing the Browns history, get another quarterback so that when the first one craps out, they'll have another name to add to that jersey.

nav-logo.png

When was the last super bowl winner that started a first-round running back that they drafted?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

32 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

When was the last super bowl winner that started a first-round running back that they drafted?

Should teams try to make it through the whole postseason with their backup, because that happened more recently?

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I looked it up: Joseph Addai for the Colts. Jamal Lewis for the Browns too.

First-round RBs that lost in Super Bowls include Jonathan Stewart for the Panthers, Knoshown Moreno for the Broncos, Laurence Maroney for the Pats, Ron Dayne for the Giants and Shaun Alexander for the Seahawks.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I looked it up: Joseph Addai for the Colts. Jamal Lewis for the Browns too.

First-round RBs that lost in Super Bowls include Jonathan Stewart for the Panthers, Knoshown Moreno for the Broncos, Laurence Maroney for the Pats, Ron Dayne for the Giants and Shaun Alexander for the Seahawks.

According to Wikipedia, Reggie Bush started at RB for the Saints in their win, but he was never great. Also, Marshawn Lynch started for the Seahawks when they won, although the Bills drafted him; I'm not sure why it's necessary to distinguish between which team drafted the player.

48 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

; I'm not sure why it's necessary to distinguish between which team drafted the player.

Because we’re discussing the merits of spending a top pick on a RB over other positions of need. If a team signs a high-drafted RB as a FA then that doesn’t count because they didn’t have to sacrifice a top pick for the guy. So it absolutely matters. 

The point is that in this era, it’s proven that a stud RB isn’t nearly as valuable as other positions, and unless it’s the final piece to your puzzle (and if you’re drafting high then it’s probably not) you’re better off with an OL or DL or QB or some other position that means more to the overall success of the team.  Then just rotate decent RBs or sign one as a FA or trade once you’re ready. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The point is that in this era

That's useful, if you have the benefit of knowing which era you're in. Maybe a new era starts this season or next season? The PI rules changing would already nudge the passing game's importance down a bit. The most consistent trend is that you need a good QB; I wouldn't mind the Browns drafting two QBs, but I don't see a problem drafting Barkley first if they still think they can get a good QB at #4.

5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

That's useful, if you have the benefit of knowing which era you're in. Maybe a new era starts this season or next season? The PI rules changing would already nudge the passing game's importance down a bit. The most consistent trend is that you need a good QB; I wouldn't mind the Browns drafting two QBs, but I don't see a problem drafting Barkley first if they still think they can get a good QB at #4.

You’re in the era you’re in until you’re not. It’s certainly possible to look into the future and predict how the game is changing - that’s what the all-time visionaries do - but unless you’re an all-timer (and let’s not pretend that the browns are run by visionaries) you can’t think that way. 

Unless a RB is a truly transcendent talent, I just don’t see why grab on higher than third round unless you’re already a great team. 

If you focus on building a great line and passing game then almost any RB or combo of RBs will do. I think Dallas was stupid for drafting that high, regardless of the success he had in season 1. 

On 3/18/2018 at 7:17 PM, ozzyman314 said:

Is he decent? 

Honestly don’t know much about him. Sounds familiar though.

Guessing he’s their replacement for Amendola. 

Great (and I mean great) kick returner, but really bad receiver.  Either unwilling or unable to learn basic route running, and a lazy downfield blocker.  His best play from scrimmage, by far, was the end around... to the point that eventually everyone saw it coming and just laid in wait for it every time he lined up.

That said, he's a great athlete, faster than most everyone else on the field at any given time, and a threat to take it 100+ yards on every kick return.  I have absolutely no doubt the Patriots will find the perfect way to use him, and everyone else will be kicking themselves over it.

On 3/18/2018 at 9:47 PM, Kaz said:

I can't understand why people are clamoring for the Browns to select a running back with the #1 overall pick in a draft full of a running backs and in an era that de-emphasizes the ground game.  Is this guy seriously a lock to be the next Adrian Peterson or something?  I'm just not seeing it.

Browns fans want winners and picking Barkley first and whatever quarterback option remains at 4 would be considered a big win. Barkley can catch out of the backfield, something Hyde's never been good at. He can also return kickoffs and punts if need be. I'm not sure Michel and the others are as well rounded. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Even if he was the next Peterson, how well did he really work out for his team? Forget about him being a scum bag, but they built their offense around a all world running back and went nowhere. When you have a guy like that you’re obligated to use him, and in this era that’s proven to be ineffective. If your goal is to sell a few more tickets and win a couple more games, then ok, but if you ever want to compete, there’s many more important positions than RB. They’re always available, and so much a product of their lines that it really doesn’t matter 

If I'm the Browns, if I can use my top 2 picks on Barkley and Mayfield, I'd be happy.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

15 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Even if he was the next Peterson, how well did he really work out for his team? Forget about him being a scum bag, but they built their offense around a all world running back and went nowhere. When you have a guy like that you’re obligated to use him, and in this era that’s proven to be ineffective. If your goal is to sell a few more tickets and win a couple more games, then ok, but if you ever want to compete, there’s many more important positions than RB. They’re always available, and so much a product of their lines that it really doesn’t matter 

I think he can play just as well as Zeke Elliot did his first year.  Cleveland's WRs, QB and RBs were the biggest issue with safety being the other. Replacing Joe Thomas has to be done too but Barkley is more complete right now than any QB in the draft. Cleveland needs to win now and he's a better option than the rookie QBs to do that. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Great, so the bar is the success Elliot had his first year - which was what? Not even a playoff win?  Elliot is an amazing athlete but not worth much more than any other jabroni that lines up there. 

11 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Great, so the bar is the success Elliot had his first year - which was what? Not even a playoff win?  Elliot is an amazing athlete but not worth much more than any other jabroni that lines up there. 

The issue is how one's offense is still going to be based. If you're gonna run 52-57% of the snaps, you'll need a Bell, Elliott, Gurley, or Fournette.

7 hours ago, dfwabel said:

The issue is how one's offense is still going to be based. If you're gonna run 52-57% of the snaps, you'll need a Bell, Elliott, Gurley, or Fournette.

And you won’t win. It’s 2018, not 1985. Having a bad plan then getting the best players for that plan still doesn’t fix the fundamental flaw with it. 

Archived