Crabcake

1. PI needs to be reviewable. 

2. Limit to 15 yards gives DBs incentive to tackle a guy when they’re beat for a Td or a would-be gain of longer than 15. 

3. There should be pretty much no Pi on Hail Marys unless one of the DBs kicks the receiver in the balls while the ball is in the air. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

1. PI needs to be reviewable. 

2. Limit to 15 yards gives DBs incentive to tackle a guy when they’re beat for a Td or a would-be gain of longer than 15. 

3. There should be pretty much no Pi on Hail Marys unless one of the DBs kicks the receiver in the balls while the ball is in the air. 

Solution is pretty obvious: PI is a 15 yard penalty anywhere unless pass interference is committed because a guy was clearly beat on what would've been a touchdown then you give them the spot of the foul. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm not quite sure where the the line should be, but I think it should be like minor vs. double minor penalties in hockey. The ref hands out the penalty that the foul deserves. I don't like a blanket 15-yard PI. I know they do it in college and the world hasn't ended, but I feel like there will be some big embarrassing moment where some team on offense gets screwed over because of it.

45 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Solution is pretty obvious: PI is a 15 yard penalty anywhere unless pass interference is committed because a guy was clearly beat on what would've been a touchdown then you give them the spot of the foul. 

The NFL can't even figure what is and isn't a catch. Having a rule with this kind of subjectivity is bound to create a disaster.

But while we're on the subject of penalties usually committed by defensive backs, the one change I would really like to see is the dissolution of a 5-yard holding penalty coming with an automatic first down. A 5-yard penalty, almost by implication, is a minor penalty; in terms of standard yards for a penalty, it's the smallest penalty you can apply. Except there is nothing minor about the offense getting a first down out of the penalty. It's a contradiction of itself. The first down part of it needs to be abolished yesterday.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Kramerica Industries said:

The NFL can't even figure what is and isn't a catch. Having a rule with this kind of subjectivity is bound to create a disaster.

But while we're on the subject of penalties usually committed by defensive backs, the one change I would really like to see is the dissolution of a 5-yard holding penalty coming with an automatic first down. A 5-yard penalty, almost by implication, is a minor penalty; in terms of standard yards for a penalty, it's the smallest penalty you can apply. Except there is nothing minor about the offense getting a first down out of the penalty. It's a contradiction of itself. The first down part of it needs to be abolished yesterday.

I agree on the first point.  When possible, I'd rather see judgments like this limited.  I think eliminating the whole "would he have fallen in-bounds had the defender not forced him out in the air" rule was one of the better rule changes in the past 15 years.  I'm not sure on the second point...in theory the penalty prevents the opportunity for a first down.

I am definitely all for the 15-yard PI.  40-yard PI penalties are one of the worst non-head-injury things about the NFL, particularly when "respect" is given to certain QBs.  I don't see the tackling issue come up a lot in college.  Not saying it never does, but I think the benefits of the rule outweigh those negatives.  What's the average starting field position, the 30?  15 yards is 1/6 of the field...plus an automatic first down.  That's a harsh penalty and guys don't want to commit it.  If I could change any non-safety rule, that would be the one I'd change.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

I agree on the first point.  When possible, I'd rather see judgments like this limited.  I think eliminating the whole "would he have fallen in-bounds had the defender not forced him out in the air" rule was one of the better rule changes in the past 15 years.  I'm not sure on the second point...in theory the penalty prevents the opportunity for a first down.

Then change the yardage of the penalty and accompany the first down with that. I can go that way as well. The part that bothers me is having minor yardage with a first down. Those two shouldn't coexist.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Then change the yardage of the penalty and accompany the first down with that. I can go that way as well. The part that bothers me is having minor yardage with a first down. Those two shouldn't coexist.

I agree. I hate that a five yard penalty for an extra shove six yards down field on 3rd and 12 is a first down. That drives me absolutely nuts. If I was the All Powerful Football Ruler I'd go back to the way football always has been and make contact legal until the ball is in the air and take away the arbitrary 5 yard holding penalty anyway, but I'd settle for just not making it an automatic first down.

I'm in favor of eliminating the automatic first UNLESS a penalty would've been enough for a first down, but was treated as a half-the-distance and therefore short of the line to gain.

For instance, 3rd and 4 at the 6. A five yard penalty would normally give a team a first down. But half the distance makes it 3rd and 1 at the 3. That should be a first down.

Currently, HS football rules eliminated automatic firsts, and that's a situation that isn't rectified.

9 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I knew someone would say this. How could it cause a disaster when the current rule forces the official to choose between disaster or nothing? My proposal mitigates disaster. Under my proposal the worst case scenario is they flag a pass interference that shouldn't get spot of the foul as spot of the foul. So if they get a pass interference wrong then the worst thing that can happen is the current rule as it exists now. Now let's say it's an obvious spot foul penalty and they get it wrong and only give them only fifteen yards well then the offensive team still gets 15 yards. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 2/13/2018 at 2:38 PM, dorshak said:

*Puts on tinfoil hat* Because your concept of time is different as you get older and time may be accelerating because of the expanding universe. Duh.

Well, time really does speed up, relatively speaking.

If you're one year old, every day is thus 1/365th of your life. A year later, every day is now only 1/730th of your life. And so on. So with each passing year, each day accounts for less and less total % of your life, so time really does seemingly go faster.

Uh, to bring this back on topic... go Rams?

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

The Rams are trading Robert Quinn to the Dolphins. I'd like to see it be player-for-player involving Jarvis Landry going to LA.

I'm shocked. Quinn is a beast when healthy, but he's missed a lot of games over the past few years and his production has dropped off. Looks like the Rams will be looking for a pass rusher in the draft.

I like the move overall. The pass rush was average at best last season and being paired with Wake and Suh could make it more intimidating. However, all three combined for $48 million and that's a little annoying to say the least.

19 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I like the move overall. The pass rush was average at best last season and being paired with Wake and Suh could make it more intimidating. However, all three combined for $48 million and that's a little annoying to say the least.

Ouch plus Landry and with NO DAMN QB!

The salary cap charges on defense include Ndamukong Suh at $26.1 million, Reshad Jones at $11.575 million, Andre Branch at $10 million, Kiko Alonso at $9.64 million, Cameron Wake at $8.625 million and Lawrence Timmons at $8.225 million.

https://overthecap.com/dolphins-acquire-robert-quinn-rams-via-trade

Gonna miss the Big Gun. 

It was hilarious seeing a Ref in better shape than half the NFL players on the field. 

Also,

this gem apparently exist. :lol:

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

In other news, Steelers have decided to throw away even more money by tagging Le'veon Bell. Expect him to miss/half-ass 2-3 games due to "Tantrum" related reasons. 

almost feel sorry for him. Because it's clear The Steelers are just going to run him straight into the ground until their window is finally sealed shut once Ben retires. 

Phantom Merch Collector.

7 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

In other news, Steelers have decided to throw away even more money by tagging Le'veon Bell. Expect him to miss/half-ass 2-3 games due to "Tantrum" related reasons. 

almost feel sorry for him. Because it's clear The Steelers are just going to run him straight into the ground until their window is finally sealed shut once Ben retires. 

half/assing wouldn't make any sense.  If I was him I'd hold out as long as possible.  I'm not saying his demands are reasonable, but if he really thinks that's what he's worth, then he should use the leverage he has and back the team into a corner.  I'll never go against a player in these situations.

I remember when free agency first became a thing after Reggie White's, Keith Jackson's, et al's lawsuit that was basically against the Eagles owner, and they created "franchise" and "transition" players.  I don't think it was intended to be like this, where it "punishes" players - I think the intent was to make it easier to re-sign them and keep all the stars from migrating away from crummy teams.  

Maybe what they could do is have an arbitrator work out several options for contracts that the player / team could agree to.  Example:  1-year guaranteed at the average of top 3 at that position (something like that), 3-years guaranteed at the average of the guarantee of top 3, and so on.  There would be incentives for the team, for example maybe only 50% of the deal counts against their cap.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

More Rumors going around that Richard Sherman will be leaving the Seahawks. I wasn't aware he was a FA this year. 

Spoiler

To The Patriots! :P Please Bill?  

In more solid news 

Phantom Merch Collector.

Archived