NHL Greatest Uniforms

tomh22

My thoughts on the NHL Greatest Uniform fan voting.

For the most part the fans got the voting right. Just a few comments

#1 Chicago Blackhawks, it would be a crime if this wasn't the choice. The white sweater is actually my favorite.

#2 Hartford Whalers, #4 Quebec Nordiques, #5 Minnesota North Stars, all deserving of those spots

#3 Anaheim Mighty Ducks, makes no sense, gotta be one of the worst uniforms

#10 Winnepeg Jets, boring uniform, the #14 Jets (79-90) was far superior

#13 Vegas Golden Knights, already a classic

#25 Colorado Rockies, loved them, but never saw them wear blue pants. Anyone have any other pics with them?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Canadiens should have beat out the Blackhawks for the top spot, but I can deal with the Blackhawks winning it. It’s the next one after the Habs’ set, in my opinion.

The Golden Knights have a great look but they don’t belong in a discussion about the greatest NHL uniforms of all time. Sorry.

- The Blackhawks absolutely deserve the top spot with their beautiful home jersey.  The chain-stitching takes it into a whole other stratosphere.

- The Golden Knights have a great set but I don't think it belongs in the top 20.

- The Rockies shouldn't be anywhere near this list.

- It's nice to see the Jade and Eggplant on the list but #3 is way too high.

46 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Canadiens should have beat out the Blackhawks for the top spot, but I can deal with the Blackhawks winning it. It’s the next one after the Habs’ set, in my opinion.

The Golden Knights have a great look but they don’t belong in a discussion about the greatest NHL uniforms of all time. Sorry.

To bad they didn’t distinct them in to eras. For what example Montreal’s Dynasty Jerseys are much better then what they wear now. The Habs jerseys now seem to modernized. I like them with more as sweater type look/collar. similar to what they used last year. 

14o81a1.jpg9qgwba.jpg

10 hours ago, Ark said:

The Golden Knights uniform really is great, it would honestly be best in the league if the primary was gold. 

I am only assuming this but that will be the colour of their alternate in the next season or two.

12 hours ago, tomh22 said:

#25 Colorado Rockies, loved them, but never saw them wear blue pants. Anyone have any other pics with them?

Here's one of Chico Resch in the blue pants.

uBITUlD.jpg

Here's another from a screengrab of a Youtube video.

70vwJLN.jpg

Not sure what year either of those are from.  Looks like they mainly wore them at home with the white jerseys, although they also wore the red pants at home quite a bit.

Great to see the North Stars' iconic look in the Top 10. All the uniforms I voted for made the Top 25. 

Too bad the original home white uniform of the Canucks with the white V's on the arms was not an option to choose from. The Stick In Rink being inverted on the away blues just didn't stand out. 

Speaking of the Canucks, it speaks huge volumes when neither of their orca uniforms are made an option under the Canucks category while the first-year Golden Knights unique greys made the list

17 minutes ago, Morgo said:

70a.png

While I understand why the igloo elephant is polarizing, I disagree that it's an awful logo when it captures the geometric, language-neutral design of Trudeau-era Quebec (see also: Expos, NFB). It's not unfair to say the Nordiques were a product of their time, inasmuch as they're sadly not here in our time.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Ducks are way too high. While Anaheim's color scheme was unique, the hem stripes should've been straight across... not diagonal. I hated how unbalanced it made the entire uniform look. The logo was also a product of it's time.

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

While I understand why the igloo elephant is polarizing, I disagree that it's an awful logo when it captures the geometric, language-neutral design of Trudeau-era Quebec (see also: Expos, NFB). It's not unfair to say the Nordiques were a product of their time, inasmuch as they're sadly not here in our time.

Capturing "the geometric, language-neutral design of Trudeau-era Quebec" doesn't make it a good sports logo.  It's horribly executed, especially the laughably lopsided stick and the oversized puck.  I'm not saying the identity is un-salvageable.  The colours and Fleur De Lis lined striping is fantastic but as long as it's brought down with that terribly executed logo, it doesn't belong on this list.

I only see the top 25. I think the Christmas Devils were doing very well in the early part of the vote, but they've fallen off. Booooo.  I'm actually surprised not see their black/red look on the list.  

Random comments (ignoring how un-scientific the polls are):

• 1. I'll never quite understand why the Blackhawks are almost universally regarded as the best.  But I'm not surprised it's #1.
  • 2. The Whalers logo is this odd mix of "brilliant" and "screams 1970s."  I'm not surprised it's in the top 25, but I'm a bit surprised it's that high.
  • 3. Unpopular opinion: I don't like the Mighty Ducks uniform and I don't think something with that 1990s asymmetrical design is anywhere near being ranked that high.
  • 4. Nordiques: Also screams 1970s.  But I like it.  Pretty much for nostalgia.
  • 5. North Stars: I think my favorite North Stars jersey is the white one from this era (not the one shown in the Lawton photo; that should not be there.  The one from goalie photo). I don't remember it at all, but once I saw photos, I just loved it.  Ironically, I think my favorite green jersey is the one with black added, but I still think the poll included the best era overall.  I am not surprised the North Stars are top-25, but a bit surprised they are #5.
  • 13. I wonder how well Vegas would have done if this poll would have been done like two years from now.
  • 16. I love that the orginal Calgary uniform did well. It's top-5 for me.  One of the worst just-add-black changes ever.
  • 22. I like the next iteration of the purple and yellow Kings a lot better.  I know the template was similar to the Flyers, but I thought the color balance was great. Unpopular opinion: I wish both the Kings and Flyers would use their 1980s uniforms.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 1/3/2018 at 11:05 PM, Kaz said:

Blackhawks and Whalers are probably the correct top 2, though I'm a bit surprised at some of the more pedestrian looks getting love (Sabres? Rockies? Jets?).  Flyers should be somewhere on the list too.

I'm not convinced that the Rockies look is pedestrian.  Those are some vivid colors that are almost jarring when combined. It's a unique logo, too.  Sabres?  Maybe...I like the look and there's a uniqueness to the limited white on the sleeves.  Jets?  Yeah; particularly the 90s look.

13 hours ago, the admiral said:

I like the Nordiques look, as abstract and 1970s as that logo is.  A part of me knows that I shouldn't so I'm probably just longing for the good old days (thanks to the North Stars move, I do that with the NHL).  

I think there are a handful of 1960s/1970s logos that would be met with tons of hate today (or, rather, would never be designed today).  Along with the Nordiques, the Oilers and Islanders.  Maybe even the Flyers (I dunno; looks like its era but still works).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Honestly I've never had a problem with the Nordiques logo, but maybe that's just because I like abstract designs already. :P

used to have a problem with the red outlines they added to numbers in the 90s, but even that grew on me over time.

Archived