NHL Greatest Uniforms

tomh22

4 hours ago, Morgo said:

Capturing "the geometric, language-neutral design of Trudeau-era Quebec" doesn't make it a good sports logo.  It's horribly executed, especially the laughably lopsided stick and the oversized puck.  I'm not saying the identity is un-salvageable.  The colours and Fleur De Lis lined striping is fantastic but as long as it's brought down with that terribly executed logo, it doesn't belong on this list.

If I can add something here, 

The logo was made by a 16 years teenager on a logo contest. To my knowledge, he made 0 dollar with this.

You may not like it at all, but lemme say the teen here made a hot rock logo still very popular.

You dont like it, I'm all fine, lemme say I dont like FLA, CAROLINA, COLUMBUS, WASHINGTON, PHOENIX OR ARIZONA OR I DONNO WHERE ect. made by so called teams of professional graphists paid big money.

Respect friend, and peace.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, bleuet said:

If I can add something here, 

The logo was made by a 16 years teenager on a logo contest. To my knowledge, he made 0 dollar with this.

You may not like it at all, but lemme say the teen here made a hot rock logo still very popular.

You dont like it, I'm all fine, lemme say I dont like FLA, CAROLINA, COLUMBUS, WASHINGTON, PHOENIX OR ARIZONA OR I DONNO WHERE ect. made by so called teams of professional graphists paid big money.

Respect friend, and peace.

Interesting.  That's definitely an impressive feat regardless of what I think of the logo.

It’s funny how differently we all see logos. By all accounts the Nordiques logo should be bad yet there is something I like about it. Similar to the Isles logo, talk about poorly executed, but I love that ugly logo.

19 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

It’s funny how differently we all see logos. By all accounts the Nordiques logo should be bad yet there is something I like about it. Similar too the Isles logo, talk about poorly executed, but I love that ugly logo.

Same for me and reason is they really sound old school, they scream hockey, are unique and original, dont look like anything else.

Like the Bruins B etc. 

1 hour ago, bleuet said:

Its very true

Take one minute and watch: http://www.nfb.ca/film/just_another_job/     go to 13:09 and watch

Cheers :-)

I noticed something interesting in that video - at about 13:38 he shows off an early version of their jersey, before they told him to add red:
iGefpRK.png

...Do those colours not remind anyone else of that unused identity they would've worn in 1996-97, had they not moved?
MTIRANr.png

6 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

I noticed something interesting in that video - at about 13:38 he shows off an early version of their jersey, before they told him to add red:
...Do those colours not remind anyone else of that unused identity they would've worn in 1996-97, had they not moved?

I was thinking the same thing when he was showing off the original non-red version of the logo earlier in the video.

2 hours ago, daniel75 said:

It’s funny how differently we all see logos. By all accounts the Nordiques logo should be bad yet there is something I like about it. Similar to the Isles logo, talk about poorly executed, but I love that ugly logo.

I’ve always wondered this: so, the Isles’ logo, while very rudimentary in its execution, has potential be be cleaned up, re-composed, etc. while keeping the sprit of it intact. The Nordiques’ logo is so simple and so geometrically tight that there’s really nowhere to go with it. It’s also such an abstract name that there’s not really anything you could change or add to it and not completely alter the aesthetic and meaning of it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Good points. Every igloo-based Nordiques concept I've seen here was a downgrade. (I remember one went in an explicitly Inuit direction, and while it was clever, it was too clever by half and wouldn't have worked as a modern sports logo.) I think there's a line weight or two in there you could adjust and that's really about it. You either take it as it is or you don't. It's a tough assignment for sure.

There's very little else you can do with the name. Any Nordiques rebranding (like the ones I've wrestled with) would have to be built around Quebec iconography, both city and province, treating the name as a vestige almost like the Sailboat Padres that lots of people hate (but I never did). Unlike the Remparts, Citadelles, and Rafales, there's no unique civic significance to the name, it's just that Quebec City was among the more northern teams in the WHA, but not even the northernmost, which was Edmonton. Somehow I doubt the "Edmonton Northerners" would have developed the same cult following. A little French goes a long way. But isn't that what the Nordique mystique is all about? I know what I love so much was that there was such a decidedly non-English team in the otherwise English landscape of Big Four North American sports. (The Canadiens aren't at quite the remove, the Expos came closer but at the end of the day were still playing good old baseball.) A logo that doesn't quite make sense reinforced that, right there on what was basically a Quebec flag turned into a sweater. Putting aside the broken hearts of the millions who lost a very well-supported team, it's almost a blessing we never got the teal husky rebrand, because the sheer otherness of the Nordiques would have been lost to chasing '90s fads.

If we ever get Quebec City back in this dumbass league, which looks like a million-to-one shot at this point, I hope the team would pick up right where the Nordiques left off, weird flawed logo and all, because that's what the people who matter most seem to want.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 1/4/2018 at 10:25 AM, VancouverFan69 said:

Speaking of the Canucks, it speaks huge volumes when neither of their orca uniforms are made an option under the Canucks category while the first-year Golden Knights unique greys made the list

It speaks volumes about how flawed the selection is as Vancouver's jerseys are criminally underrated.  Best colours in the league, classy striping, shoulder patches that can stand with the best of them and a unique logo that represents the west coast perfectly.  I wouldn't even want to see the arched script go by the wayside as it looks unique, attractive and contains historical precedence.  I hope Vancouver learns from their past and sticks with this set for a long time.

YvP76Y0.png

9 hours ago, Morgo said:

It speaks volumes about how flawed the selection is as Vancouver's jerseys are criminally underrated.  Best colours in the league, classy striping, shoulder patches that can stand with the best of them and a unique logo that represents the west coast perfectly.  I wouldn't even want to see the arched script go by the wayside as it looks unique, attractive and contains historical precedence.  I hope Vancouver learns from their past and sticks with this set for a long time.

YvP76Y0.png

Criminally underrated jersey, sure, but the logo is what brings it down. Not only does it lack one of their main uniform colors, but they’ve also added one that appears nowhere else in the entire identity. One or the other is a tough thing to pull off. Both together is cardinal sin.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

What I find interesting about the winner's look in Chicago is that the layperson would say they haven't changed in 50 years but a closer look reveals all the little tweaks they've made to the logo, outlines, feathers, etc. so there's a lot going on to keep us uniform people interested even while the look has been 'unchanged'. 

4 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Criminally underrated jersey, sure, but the logo is what brings it down. Not only does it lack one of their main uniform colors, but they’ve also added one that appears nowhere else in the entire identity. One or the other is a tough thing to pull off. Both together is cardinal sin.

I don't think the navy is a problem as lots of other primary crests feature colours not found anywhere else on the uniform and the only other way to accurately depict an Orca would be to use black (just no).  But yeah, I wish there was some way to add green to the logo.  Unfortunately, every concept I've seen attempting to do has resulted in an immediate downgrade.  Changing the thin blue outline to green has been the most popular "fix" but it just looks muddled.  Maybe if they added it to the inner part of the eye? 

On 1/6/2018 at 10:35 PM, Morgo said:

YvP76Y0.png

Sorry, even though I understand why the team went retro with the original blue & green colors, IMHO the 1997-2007 Deep Blue, Deep Red, Sky Blue, Silver unis were the best. 

26 minutes ago, Tygers09 said:

Sorry, even though I understand why the team went retro with the original blue & green colors, IMHO the 1997-2007 Deep Blue, Deep Red, Sky Blue, Silver unis were the best. 

Sorry, but that was a terrible colour scheme. Too dark, too corporate and very generic. Sky blue?? That was royal blue. The Jets' current "light" blue is a lot more of a sky blue.

Archived