kc51design

I don’t follow cycling all that much, so I don’t really have much of an eye for this sort of thing, but looking at these, I’d say my favorite ones are the simpler ones, like the one with the pink, the white and green on next to that one, and the brown/white/turquoise one on the other end of that row. In fact, the only one that rubs me the wrong way is that blue one in the middle with the big blobby M on it.

I'll take a shot. I"m a casual fan- check out a couple of the lead ups to TDF and bits of the other grand tours, and I like when the board branches out. (one of these days I'll start a marathon merch thread on the general design board).

Going to miss the AG2R diamond pattern, they've got great colors which is pretty much is the only reason I like that logo. It balances the combo so well. I also really liked Movistar's old colors and wouldn't mind this one so much if they flipped the top and bottom colors. Those team color Canyon bikes look sweet BTW.

To me, there's 2 key criteria, no particular order: It's gotta look good on riders sitting up as they cross the line. And they gotta be distinguishable from the air.

For me, Bora, Katusha/Alpecin, and Bahrain all have the best front view. The teal and light blue shoulders on Astana, Movistar, and Katusha will all probably blend together a bit in head on shots. Same with Lotto Soudal and EF Drapac. BMC looks way better in theory (the rendering) than in practice. That red Alpecin logo does not work with the Russian maroon color.

In the overhead, Astana and Movistar will blend. I also think Sky and Sunweb will be blend a little overhead as well, with center stripes down the back.

On 1/9/2018 at 12:31 AM, RichO said:

I'll take a shot. I"m a casual fan- check out a couple of the lead ups to TDF and bits of the other grand tours, and I like when the board branches out. (one of these days I'll start a marathon merch thread on the general design board).

Going to miss the AG2R diamond pattern, they've got great colors which is pretty much is the only reason I like that logo. It balances the combo so well. I also really liked Movistar's old colors and wouldn't mind this one so much if they flipped the top and bottom colors. Those team color Canyon bikes look sweet BTW.

To me, there's 2 key criteria, no particular order: It's gotta look good on riders sitting up as they cross the line. And they gotta be distinguishable from the air.

For me, Bora, Katusha/Alpecin, and Bahrain all have the best front view. The teal and light blue shoulders on Astana, Movistar, and Katusha will all probably blend together a bit in head on shots. Same with Lotto Soudal and EF Drapac. BMC looks way better in theory (the rendering) than in practice. That red Alpecin logo does not work with the Russian maroon color.

In the overhead, Astana and Movistar will blend. I also think Sky and Sunweb will be blend a little overhead as well, with center stripes down the back.

Great analisys RichO, your criteria is spot on, also another criteria is how visible sponsor logos are, as the ROI results determine if they'll sponsor again or not. I also miss uniqunes of AG2R. I love their colors, so unique. BMC looked good 2 years ago, now with addition of Tag Heure and this blue neck it's a big mess. In theory I loike Katusha colors as well, but coral blue should only be accent as last year. UAE is the worse for sure, just stacking up elements... 

Former UCI Continental team manager here. 

I love the SUNWEB simplicity (and one of my kids now races for them, bias?) AG2R is actually interesting, as is the FDJ. EF will be a

easily visible from above, and in the pack, but TREK is brutal... they have been since they went pinstripes several years back. Lotto Jumbo, black and yellow, incredibly easy to find your guys in the race. 

Like stated above, ROI is huge, and visibility is key. Astana is now iconis... Moviestar has cone from a navy w vivid slime green M to this very muted look. Not a fan.

Archived