Tampa Bay Lightning Redesign

DTConcepts

After the unveiling of the 2018 All Star Game jerseys, which include blue and a fluorescent yellow, I was inspired to use those colors to make a new identity for the team that's hosting the game, the Tampa Bay Lightning. The team gets trashed a lot for their identity being too similar to that of the Toronto Maple Leafs and/or the Detroit Red Wings, so this is an attempt to curb that.

pres.png

The Bolts have never used shoulder striping before, but that's the striping style used in the All Star jerseys, so I went with that. However, where the ASG jerseys use "volt" as a secondary color, I opted to use black instead, as it had more of a connection to the Bolts' brand than a new color did, plus it made the design that much more traditional, which is good when introducing something "out there" like this. Other than that, it's a fairly simple kit, with minimal waist striping and a light usage of the new volt color.

What do you think? Good? Bad? Inbetween? Let me know!

I like the idea of adding a "Volt" of electricity to otherwise stale, derivative identity and the sleeve/shoulder design looks particularly striking on the home jersey.  My only suggestion would be to find a way to work black into the logo.  Maybe in the form of a shadow similar to what their inaugural logo had.  Nice work!

I would make the collar be one color, but make the little pentagon with the shield be different rather. Outside of that I like it. Volt can work for this team, because they really need something other than blue and white which we see in the maple leafs, and even take it a step further and say the jets and canucks. Something refreshing here. Great job, how would you do the numbers on the back? I would suggest making them the same colors as he logo, so either blue or white with the volt outline.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

15 hours ago, mcrosby said:

I'd like to see the volt added to the logo in more than just an outline. I would try beveling the whole thing. 

I held off from doing that because it'd be too much. Volt is an "out there" color, and even though it may be unique to the Lightning if this ever happened, it should still remain a tertiary color.

White wrists are never a good idea. Maybe match the sleeves from the home, or invert altogether and and go with black wrists with white stripe above. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived