Future Retired Number Banner Concepts (NHL Added)

mattr1198

Hey all,

I decided to try and create retired number banners for current NBA players and their respective teams. These banners are based off the actual style of retired number banners the team uses (with exception to LAC and OKC since they havent retired any numbers yet). Justifications as to why I did or did not include certain players (HM=Honorable Mentions) are included below as well. I hope you think these are good and they are free to use and respond with any suggestions!

I will be doing this series for the NHL as well after!

B1nAuu2.gif

ATLANTA: Joe Johnson (played majority of his all-star career with the organization and led them to many playoff births)

HM: Josh Smith, Al Horford (neither put up good enough numbers)

BOSTON: None

No HM

BROOKLYN: Vince Carter (All-star and leader for all of his nearly 6 years with the team), Brook Lopez (considering the Nets history of honoring long-tenured players and Lopez's solid numbers, it's very likely he'll see his number in the rafters)

HM: Richard Jefferson, Deron Williams (neither were as effective as the other two players mentioned)

CHARLOTTE: Kemba Walker (will be a multi-time all-star, a first for the "Hornets" in years)

No HM

CLEVELAND: LeBron James (OBVIOUS REASONS)

HM: Mo Williams (not effective enough), Kevin Love (too early to call/not on team long enough), Kyrie Irving (went out on sour note)

CHICAGO: Derrick Rose (a homegrown kid, multi-time all-star, and only the second Bulls player to win MVP outside of MJ)

HM: Joakim Noah (DPOY but didn't do much outside of that and a few all-star appearances)

DALLAS: Dirk Nowitzki (OBVIOUS REASONS)

No HM

DENVER: Carmelo Anthony (Denver scoring leader and put the team back on the map after years of futility)

No HM

DETROIT: None

No HM

GOLDEN STATE: Stephen Curry (OBVIOUS REASONS), Klay Thompson (leader and all-star for the current team, likely career Warrior), Draymond Green (top-tier defensive talent and leader for Warriors)

HM: Kevin Durant (not on team long enough yet), Monta Ellis (not effective enough/bad teams)

HOUSTON: James Harden (likely career Rocket, potential future MVP, and consistent all-star and team leader)

No HM

INDIANA: None

HM: Paul George (left on sour note and didn't play with team long enough)

LA CLIPPERS: Chris Paul (team leader and consistent all-star, delivering Clips to playoffs), Blake Griffin (career Clip, multi-time all-star, fashioned lob city era)

HM: DeAndre Jordan (not effective enough)

LA LAKERS: None

HM: Pau Gasol (didn't play with team long enough and wasn't effective enough)

MEMPHIS: Marc Gasol (all-star and Memphis' soft process on retired numbers)

HM: Mike Conley (too early to call/not effective enough), Pau Gasol (didn't play on team long enough)

MIAMI: Chris Bosh (sad story/way he went out, multi-time all-star), Dwyane Wade (OBVIOUS REASONS), LeBron James (brought in championships and was MVP with Heat)

HM: Udonis Haslem (devoted, but not effective enough to pass Heat's lenient standards)

MILWAUKEE: None

HM: Giannis Antetokounmpo (too early to call)

MINNESOTA: Kevin Love (multi-time all-star and double double leader)

No HM

NEW ORLEANS: Anthony Davis (Multi-time all-star and leader for Pels)

HM: Demarcus Cousins (not on team long enough yet)

NEW YORK: Carmelo Anthony (leader and all-star all 7 years on the team)

No HM

OKLAHOMA CITY: Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant (BOTH OBVIOUS REASONS)

HM: James Harden (not on team long enough), Nick Collison (not effective enough, despite longest tenure)

ORLANDO: None

HM: Dwight Howard (disrespected team and city, very up in the air/not a guarantee)

PHILADELPHIA: None

No HM

PHOENIX: N/A (do not have retired number banners)

PORTLAND: Damien Lillard (multi-time all-star, leader, and likely career Blazer)

HM: LaMarcus Aldridge (not on team long enough and not effective enough in time there)

SAN ANTONIO: Manu Ginobili (career Spur and team leader), Tony Parker (see "Manu"), Kawhi Leonard (multi-time DPOY and all-star, new team leader)

No HM

SACRAMENTO: None

HM: Demarcus Cousins (wasn't effective/respected enough in tenure, plus Kings' reluctance to retire numbers easily)

TORONTO: Vince Carter (multi-time all-star and put Raptors on the map), Demar DeRozan (Canadian player, multi-time all-star, and career Raptor)

HM: Kyle Lowry (too up-in-the-air)

UTAH: None

HM: Deron Williams (disrespected organization and not effective enough)

WASHINGTON: John Wall (career Wizard, multi-time all-star and team leader)

HM: Bradley Beal (too early to cal, no all-star appearances)

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

More likely the Warriors retire Durant’s number. 

While I would usually go this route, unfortunately he hasn't played on the team long enough yet. It's the same reasoning I used for not having players like Cousins' number retired by NOLA. They simply need to play a bit longer and considering Durant has a short term deal and already won a championship, it could be possible for him to leave quickly.

Why I retired his number on OKC in spite of the bad way he went out was because his accomplishments on OKC are arguably some of the best in team history. The reason I give his number a retirement over those of other players who went out poorly like George and Howard is due to the MVP he won. The only player I gave exception to was Melo in Denver simply due to his impact on a truly horrid team and Denver's lenient retired number policy.

NYC x STL

19 hours ago, mattr1198 said:

wat.

Pau was here longer than Wilt and won double the championships.

1 hour ago, RealSkillsAbraham said:

Would the Lakers retire 24 for Kobe?

wat.

171216-kb.jpg

........wat?

4 minutes ago, panthers_2012 said:

I think for Cleveland Anderson Varejeo would be a good number. He was well liked in Cleveland and contributed a lot to the team, especially in the down years.

Interesting. Totally forgot about him, but considering he left for a rival in Golden State and he didn't make an all-star appearance like big Z did (a "charity/loyalty case" retirement), he'd be a good honorable mention, but not a likely one.

NYC x STL

11 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

Mehmet Okur is the only other former Jazz player I can see getting his number retired at this point in the post-Stockton-to-Malone era.

Thats not a bad option either. I still think Kirilenko is more likely but I’d be perfectly fine with Okur.

Off-topic: I met Okur once at the Gateway in SLC. Super, super nice guy.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

If there's anyone's number that I would retire for the Magic there would be two: #1 (Penny Hardaway and Tracy McGrady, make it somehow for both), and #14 (Jameer Nelson). No Shaq, no Dwight Howard, they screwed over the team and the city when they both left for LA.

ExJworW.png

On 9.01.2018 at 8:10 AM, mattr1198 said:

LA CLIPPERS: Chris Paul (team leader and consistent all-star, delivering Clips to playoffs),

HM: Udonis Haslem (devoted, but not effective enough to pass Heat's lenient standards)

George was one season longer with Pacers than Paul with Clippers. Gasol won two champs with Lakers and was a strong point on those teams.

Haslem is Miami native, still playining for the team, won 3 champs with them and he's their all time rebounds leader. I'm pretty sure Heat will retire his number.

4r2eer.png

In response to some of your suggestions I have made four new banners for the players I missed or incorrectly only gave Honorable: Pau Gasol (LAL), Udonis Haslem, Jameer Nelson (ORL), and Andrei Kirilenko (UTH). Note the Magic one is a concept since they do not have any real retired numbers to this point. I will be making a bunch of NHL banners soon. Remember, though, these players have to be current, so notable exclusions I had included Tracy McGrady (Orlando and Houston), Kevin Garnett (Minnesota and Boston), Ray Allen (Milwaukee and Boston), and others.

daucZso.gif

NYC x STL

On 1/9/2018 at 12:10 AM, mattr1198 said:

Hey all,

I decided to try and create retired number banners for current NBA players and their respective teams. These banners are based off the actual style of retired number banners the team uses (with exception to LAC and OKC since they havent retired any numbers yet). Justifications as to why I did or did not include certain players (HM=Honorable Mentions) are included below as well. I hope you think these are good and they are free to use and respond with any suggestions!

I will be doing this series for the NHL as well after!

b6JZ39r.gif

ATLANTA: Joe Johnson (played majority of his all-star career with the organization and led them to many playoff births)

HM: Josh Smith, Al Horford (neither put up good enough numbers)

BOSTON: None

No HM

BROOKLYN: Vince Carter (All-star and leader for all of his nearly 6 years with the team), Brook Lopez (considering the Nets history of honoring long-tenured players and Lopez's solid numbers, it's very likely he'll see his number in the rafters)

HM: Richard Jefferson, Deron Williams (neither were as effective as the other two players mentioned)

CHARLOTTE: Kemba Walker (will be a multi-time all-star, a first for the "Hornets" in years)

No HM

CLEVELAND: LeBron James (OBVIOUS REASONS)

HM: Mo Williams (not effective enough), Kevin Love (too early to call/not on team long enough), Kyrie Irving (went out on sour note)

CHICAGO: Derrick Rose (a homegrown kid, multi-time all-star, and only the second Bulls player to win MVP outside of MJ)

HM: Joakim Noah (DPOY but didn't do much outside of that and a few all-star appearances)

DALLAS: Dirk Nowitzki (OBVIOUS REASONS)

No HM

DENVER: Carmelo Anthony (Denver scoring leader and put the team back on the map after years of futility)

No HM

DETROIT: None

No HM

GOLDEN STATE: Stephen Curry (OBVIOUS REASONS), Klay Thompson (leader and all-star for the current team, likely career Warrior), Draymond Green (top-tier defensive talent and leader for Warriors)

HM: Kevin Durant (not on team long enough yet), Monta Ellis (not effective enough/bad teams)

HOUSTON: James Harden (likely career Rocket, potential future MVP, and consistent all-star and team leader)

No HM

INDIANA: None

LA CLIPPERS: Chris Paul (team leader and consistent all-star, delivering Clips to playoffs), Blake Griffin (career Clip, multi-time all-star, fashioned lob city era)

HM: DeAndre Jordan (not effective enough)

MEMPHIS: Marc Gasol (all-star and Memphis' soft process on retired numbers)

HM: Mike Conley (too early to call/not effective enough), Pau Gasol (didn't play on team long enough)

MIAMI: Chris Bosh (sad story/way he went out, multi-time all-star), Dwyane Wade (OBVIOUS REASONS), LeBron James (brought in championships and was MVP with Heat)

MILWAUKEE: None

HM: Giannis Antetokounmpo (too early to call)

MINNESOTA: Kevin Love (multi-time all-star and double double leader)

No HM

NEW ORLEANS: Anthony Davis (Multi-time all-star and leader for Pels)

HM: Demarcus Cousins (not on team long enough yet)

NEW YORK: Carmelo Anthony (leader and all-star all 7 years on the team)

No HM

OKLAHOMA CITY: Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant (BOTH OBVIOUS REASONS)

HM: James Harden (not on team long enough), Nick Collison (not effective enough, despite longest tenure)

ORLANDO: None

HM: Dwight Howard (disrespected team and city, very up in the air/not a guarantee)

PHILADELPHIA: None

No HM

PHOENIX: N/A (do not have retired number banners)

PORTLAND: Damien Lillard (multi-time all-star, leader, and likely career Blazer)

HM: LaMarcus Aldridge (not on team long enough and not effective enough in time there)

SAN ANTONIO: Manu Ginobili (career Spur and team leader), Tony Parker (see "Manu"), Kawhi Leonard (multi-time DPOY and all-star, new team leader)

No HM

SACRAMENTO: None

HM: Demarcus Cousins (wasn't effective/respected enough in tenure, plus Kings' reluctance to retire numbers easily)

TORONTO: Vince Carter (multi-time all-star and put Raptors on the map), Demar DeRozan (Canadian player, multi-time all-star, and career Raptor)

HM: Kyle Lowry (too up-in-the-air)

UTAH: None

HM: Deron Williams (disrespected organization and not effective enough)

WASHINGTON: John Wall (career Wizard, multi-time all-star and team leader)

HM: Bradley Beal (too early to cal, no all-star appearances)

Joe Johnson was #2 for the Hawks 

On 1/9/2018 at 10:45 AM, osctheg said:

I don't think the Thunder ever retire Durant's number.

DURANT IS A TRAITOR

That is a very good-looking Westbrook banner, though.

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

Here's the NHL series:

u8INe8V.gif

Anaheim: Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf

HM: None

Arizona: None (Note: Shane Doan has already retired and is not eligible)

HM: Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Max Domi (Both need to play longer and have more team success)

Boston: Patrice Bergeron, Zdeno Chara

HM: Brad Marchand, Tukka Rask (No/not enough all-star appearances, respecively), Joe Thornton, Tyler Seguin (Both didn't play on team long enough)

Buffalo: None

HM: Jack Eichel (Needs to play longer), Jason Pominville (Not effective enough)

Calgary: Jarome Iginla

HM: Johnny Gaudreau (Needs to play a little bit longer)

Carolina: Eric Staal

HM: Cam Ward (Not effective enough despite being career Hurricane)

Chicago: Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Marian Hossa, Duncan Keith, Corey Crawford

HM: Brent Seabrook (Not as effective as the others)

Colorado: None

HM: Nathan MacKinnon (needs to play longer), Paul Stasny (not effective enough)

Columbus: Rick Nash

HM: Sergei Babrovsky (need more years of productivity)

Dallas: Jamie Benn, Tyler Seguin

Detroit: Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg

HM: Jimmy Howard (Not enough accomplishments to comply with Red Wings' high standards)

Edmonton: Connor McDavid

Florida: None

HM: Roberto Luongo (not effective enough in time there)

Los Angeles: Anze Kopitar, Jonathan Quick, Jeff Carter, Drew Doughty

Minnesota: Marian Gaborik

HM: Devan Dubnyk, Mikko Koivu (Both need some more effective years)

Montreal: Carey Price

HM: PK Subban (didn't play on team long enough)

Nashville: Pekka Rinne, Shea Weber

HM: Roman Josi (needs more years of effectiveness)

New Jersey: None

HM: Travis Zajac (not effective enough despite long tenure), Taylor Hall (needs more years)

NY Islanders: John Tavares

NY Rangers: Henrik Lundqvist, Ryan McDonagh

HM: Jaromir Jagr (needed more years on team)

Ottawa: Erik Karlsson

HM: Jason Spezza (Not effective enough)

Philadelphia: Claude Giroux

HM: Wayne Simmonds, Jakub Voracek (Both need more all-star appearances)

Pittsburgh: Sidney Crosby, Marc-Andre Fleury, Evgeni Malkin, Jaromir Jagr, Kris Letang

San Jose: Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Joe Pavelski, Brent Burns

HM: Martin Jones (Needs more years of effectiveness)

St Louis: Vladimir Tarasenko, Alex Pietrangelo

HM: Alexander Steen (not effective enough)

Tampa Bay: Nikita Kucherov, Steven Stamkos

HM: Victor Hedman (needs a few more years of effectiveness)

Toronto: None

HM: Auston Matthews (needs a few more years at same caliber)

Vancouver: Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Roberto Luongo

Vegas: None

Washington: Alex Ovechkin, Braden Holtby, Nicklas Backstrom

HM: Evgeny Kuznetsov (Needs to play longer)

Winnipeg: Dustin Byfuglien

HM: Patrick Laine (needs a few more years at same caliber), Mark Scheifle (Needs some all-star appearances)

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to comment.

NYC x STL

Mikko Koivu has done more for the Minnesota Wild leadership wise than Gaborik. If there's any player that would get their number retired that's currently playing, it would be Mikko Koivu, regardless of the effective years he has or hasn't had...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived