Diet Coke rebrand

I've never even seen the old cans in the real world...just the plain silver with the all red "Diet Coke" wordmark is all I've ever bought. 

The new cans suck and I hate the naming convention for the flavors. Diet Feisty Cherry Coke? GTFO.

I drink quite a lot of Diet Coke, so these cans look weird to me. These also appear to be the "tall" version of the can, so I'd be interested to see what the standard 12oz cans look like. Or... is the non-standard can shape part of the rebrand? Kinda confusing.

[edit] nevermind, found an article

Diet Coke executives refer to the new can shape as "sleek." The 12-ounce cans, which are the same format now used by Coke-owned Dasani sparkling water, are meant to give Diet Coke a more contemporary feel. However, Diet Coke will also keep its traditional packaging formats like the shorter, fatter 12-ounce cans.

I've also never seen the bottom cans (with the script) in the original post, just the one below (sometimes the version with horizontal lettering rather than vertical). 

DietCoke_12oz.png

All in all, I'm more intrigued by the new flavors, even if the names are silly. "Twisted Mango" could be either great or disgusting, and "Ginger Lime" has potential if it actually has ginger added and isn't just a rebrand of the Diet Coke Lime.

3 hours ago, 8993 said:

New:

diet-coke-can-group.png

Old: 

Diet-Coke-2017-620x330.jpg

The cans on the bottom were probably part of a Taylor Swift cross promotion. Could be wrong.

Either way, I still kinda like the early 90's design...

285ff134ac27f5640eb006ba43c4d2bb--coke-c

23708_2717_22O0RLWB5.jpg

From what I read, the Regular Can is sticking around the "revamp" ones are just a new "slim can" line they are going to have, that will also include that regular Diet Coke as well

http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/diet-coke-relaunch

Diet Coke and the new flavors will be packaged in sleek 12-oz. cans and sold as on-the-go singles and in eight-packs. Diet Coke also will continue to be offered in all existing package sizes, such as standard 12-oz. cans, mini cans, glass bottles and more. All new packaging and flavors hit store shelves this month.

Diet Coke really loves their adjectives, don't they? Because, you know, when you think cherry you think "feisty".

Kinda makes me wonder which adjectives were shot down for the Ginger Lime flavor...

44 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Diet Coke really loves their adjectives, don't they? Because, you know, when you think cherry you think "feisty".

Kinda makes me wonder which adjectives were shot down for the Ginger Lime flavor...

"Ginger" *is* the adjective.  Most limes have red hair, after all.

Goddamn, these are ass. The whole identity seems like a mish-mashed bunch of ideas from a marketing group that just falls flat. Flat like the taste of Diet Coke.

I like them *ducks*

They're clean, eye-catching, colourful and fun.  The adjectives I could live without though.

I love it. While I get that retailers hate it, and older vending machines aren’t compatible, from a purely aesthetic POV I think they crushed it. I love the skinny can format, and it’s appropriate for a diet soda. I am fairly certain I’ve seen coke in skinny cans in several countries I’ve been to. 

The names? Yeah, they suck, but we’re in an era of “wolf gray”, “icon”, “association”, “battle red”, etc, so it is what it is. 

We have a sugary beverage tax, and at least within city limits, soda sales are so bad that the local bottlers aren’t even distributing 2-liters to most parts of the city, and they’re moving to smaller format bottles and cans. Considering other cities are likely to implement similar taxes in the next year, I wonder if we’ll start seeing new standard sizes besides the 12-oz can and 20-oz bottle. 

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Considering other cities are likely to implement similar taxes in the next year, I wonder if we’ll start seeing new standard sizes besides the 12-oz can and 20-oz bottle. 

...which, of course, makes me wonder when (and, I guess, why) the 12oz can and 20oz plastic bottle became "standard." For most of my life, the "main three" options seem to be 12oz cans, 20oz plastic bottles, and 2 liter plastic bottles. "New" sizes (off the top of my head, the 7.5oz cans, 16.9oz/500mL plastic bottles, 24oz plastic bottles, 1L plastic bottles, 1.25L plastic bottles, etc.) seem just that - nonstandard and "new." They seem to be a fad and don't tend to catch on, like the 3 liter plastic bottles (late '80s-early '90s?).

I am of the age to remember 6.5oz glass Coke bottles (as more of a "real choice" than a "novelty," obviously they still make them), but 6.5oz just seems so tiny today. Quick Googling yields that Coke bottles in 10oz, 12oz, and 26oz "Family Size" (ha!) sizes weren't introduced until 1955. I'm sure the transition from glass bottles to plastic/cans had something to do with it, but it's not something I've ever given much thought.

When I was a lad, the standard (meaning pretty much ONLY options) were 12oz can, 16oz glass bottle, 2 liter, eventually 3 liter, and every now and then you’d see 1 liter. 

I remember hoopla when coke coke introduced the plastic bottle. IIRC it was a gimmick to mimic the old glass bottles since the shape was contoured (I think it was even marketed as the contour bottle). I don’t recall how/when the 16oz bottles were phased out, but I’m sure a lot of vending machines needed updates. 

18d6873a76d6a067661522edc55be879.jpgd5316098d0103bbf06f7a418c86e98d6.jpgSlice.jpg

Actually, yeah, now that I think about it, I guess I do remember those 16oz glass bottles. The outside label was kinda cushion-y and maybe made out of foam? It would peel/tear very easily. Late '80s-early '90s?

i remember the commercials from Pepsi how they were making a big deal about their bottles being 20oz.  that extra 25% more than usual.  They just became the norm

1 hour ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Actually, yeah, now that I think about it, I guess I do remember those 16oz glass bottles. The outside label was kinda cushion-y and maybe made out of foam? It would peel/tear very easily. Late '80s-early '90s?

Yeah they were like a styrofoamy material.  Not sure if all used it, but a lot did.  I think it depended on the local bottler.

1 hour ago, Pharos04 said:

i remember the commercials from Pepsi how they were making a big deal about their bottles being 20oz.  that extra 25% more than usual.  They just became the norm

I loved it when the standard went from 16-ounce bottles to 20-ounce bottles.  The 20-ounce bottle fits much better in a bicycle bottle holder.

Recently, six-packs of 16-ounce bottles have been appearing in supermarkets, even as 20-ounce bottles remain the ones available in convenience stores, chain drug stores, and bodegas/delis.  My mother, not perceiving the difference, bought me a six-pack of Diet Schweppes Ginger Ale in a supermarket.  I put one of them in my bike's bottle holder, and it almost fell out when I hit a bump.

I really hope that 20-ounce bottles never get completely displaced by a return of 16-ounce bottles.

Ah yes here is an ad for the new 20oz coke bottle in 1994

1994-1.jpg

I remember like in the late 90s the 7-Eleven near me still having glass 16oz caffiene free pepsi bottles, and it was a few years after they switched to the "Quick Slam" 20oz plastic bottles.

By the way, one of the best parts about moving from philly, has been no soda tax.

Those Diet Coke cans look more than a little inspired by Dry Soda:

DRY-Soda-5-can-lockup.jpg

diet-coke-can-group.png