Diet Coke rebrand

18 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

When I was a lad, the standard (meaning pretty much ONLY options) were 12oz can, 16oz glass bottle, 2 liter, eventually 3 liter, and every now and then you’d see 1 liter. 

I remember hoopla when coke coke introduced the plastic bottle. IIRC it was a gimmick to mimic the old glass bottles since the shape was contoured (I think it was even marketed as the contour bottle). I don’t recall how/when the 16oz bottles were phased out, but I’m sure a lot of vending machines needed updates. 

18d6873a76d6a067661522edc55be879.jpgd5316098d0103bbf06f7a418c86e98d6.jpgSlice.jpg

I don't think Coca Cola tasted any better than it did with those stubby glass bottles. Nice and cold! 

i love the new slim cans. it's such an obvious, smart choice for a diet soda you have to wonder why it didn't happen years ago. it actually communicates what you expect from a diet drink and looking at the "old" can, it just feels so wrong now. i'd like to know how it effects packing and shipping as well, im sure that was considered in this process. 

the new flavors and can livery will change over time, i dont think its even worth getting into that. but the "coke" type has also been tweaked a bit and feels more sophisticated. between that and the choice of can design, this will definitely end up being on of my favorite designs of the year.

3 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i love the new slim cans. it's such an obvious, smart choice for a diet soda you have to wonder why it didn't happen years ago. it actually communicates what you expect from a diet drink and looking at the "old" can, it just feels so wrong now. i'd like to know how it effects packing and shipping as well, im sure that was considered in this process. 

the new flavors and can livery will change over time, i dont think its even worth getting into that. but the "coke" type has also been tweaked a bit and feels more sophisticated. between that and the choice of can design, this will definitely end up being on of my favorite designs of the year.

Probably because it could create problems for retailers that have all of their refrigerators and displays set up for traditional 12oz cans, as well as the older American-style vending machines that are fixed to roll out 12-oz cans.

The latter, while still an issue, is not quite as bad since many vending machines now can handle pretty much any reasonable sized / shaped beverage.  

EDIT: also, this isn't really new, as skinny soda cans have been in many other countries for a while.  Maybe not quite this skinny - I'd have to see one to know.

19 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Those Diet Coke cans look more than a little inspired by Dry Soda:

DRY-Soda-5-can-lockup.jpg

And I just realized why I like them.  Coca-Cola took this basic idea and vastly the improved the design and colours.

THey could still work the wave in there, running up the whole length of the can just not necessarily too close to the COKE label.  Not sure if their graphics rules allow for the wave to be used independently from the wordmark, or if it can only be used with.

I wonder if they're going to change Coke Zero Sugar too.  I noticed the change from Zero to Zero Sugar (well, "Zero Azucar") a year ago while traveling, and wasn't sure if it was just a regional thing or something that they'd eventually do everywhere.  I'm not really sure why they felt the need to do it - I thought "Coke Zero" had become a pretty strong brand, and the black can was pretty recognizable.  "Zero Sugar" just seems like too much to call something ("I'll have a Coke Zero Sugar please") and sorta melds it with Coke's brand as opposed to its own thing.

My guess is that they're going to market Diet Coke as its own thing - almost like its own line, totally separate from Coca Cola, and then fold Zero Sugar into the Coca Cola line and market it as just another variety there.  Not sure I love that plan, but I'm curious to see if / how they modify the packaging.

Reminds me of when Tab did their "energy" rebrand to appeal to women with a slim can.

TabEnergy.jpg

On 1/15/2018 at 10:30 AM, CS85 said:

Reminds me of when Tab did their "energy" rebrand to appeal to women with a slim can.

TabEnergy.jpg

and I think the soda itself was pink. 

On 1/14/2018 at 9:50 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

THey could still work the wave in there, running up the whole length of the can just not necessarily too close to the COKE label.  Not sure if their graphics rules allow for the wave to be used independently from the wordmark, or if it can only be used with.

I wonder if they're going to change Coke Zero Sugar too.  I noticed the change from Zero to Zero Sugar (well, "Zero Azucar") a year ago while traveling, and wasn't sure if it was just a regional thing or something that they'd eventually do everywhere.  I'm not really sure why they felt the need to do it - I thought "Coke Zero" had become a pretty strong brand, and the black can was pretty recognizable.  "Zero Sugar" just seems like too much to call something ("I'll have a Coke Zero Sugar please") and sorta melds it with Coke's brand as opposed to its own thing.

My guess is that they're going to market Diet Coke as its own thing - almost like its own line, totally separate from Coca Cola, and then fold Zero Sugar into the Coca Cola line and market it as just another variety there.  Not sure I love that plan, but I'm curious to see if / how they modify the packaging.

Well, Coke Zero Sugar is different from Coke Zero, according to the company (and it does taste different, I didn't believe it until I did a back-to-back comparison).

What surprises me is that Coke made a big deal about unifying the brand around the red disc around the world (example):

355ml_Cans_OneBrand_lineup.png

And appeared to be moving towards that with the Coke Zero Sugar cans in the U.S. - and then introduced an entirely new branding for Diet Coke. So who knows?

Yes its weird, they make coke zero sugar with that red disc/circle in the background so its more like coke.

But I guess for the US for Diet Coke they said screw it and is trying to have diet coke be very different.

I guess because Coke Zero Sugar actually tastes like coke (or very close to it) but Diet Coke still is selling more, but doesn't taste like coke really.

On 1/16/2018 at 2:55 PM, kmccarthy27 said:

and I think the soda itself was pink. 

thats an interesting approach. i wonder how that paid off for them? did it actually increse sale amongst women? my hunch is no