hettinger_rl

Alaska Anchorage Seawolves Concept: Sun Added 1/17/18

UAA has used the same classic, tribal art influenced, logo since 1973 (REF). As stated, the logo is classic; but I was wondering - What if UAA would update their look? What would a Seawolf look like if it were modernized? What is the basis for the Seawolves name?

seawolves.jpg

In Haida and Tlingit culture; a seawolf is an enormous creature that preys upon pilot and killer whales. It as four legs with fins, a head similar to a wolf, and a tail like a fish or a whale or sometimes a prehensile tail. (This is not a wolf with an eye patch ;)) Before becoming the Seawolves, UAA's nickname was the Sourdoughs in reference to old sailors..... good upgrade. After researching historic and contemporary Haida and Tlingit depictions of seawolves I got to drawing out what a new Seawolves logo might look like, so here is my concept logo for the University of Alaska Anchorage Seawolves:

t5ps7n.jpg

Newest idea:

1/15/18

2lwwrvo.jpg

1/16/18

2dwgvmh.jpg

1/17/18

x0xil3.jpg

C&C Apreciated

Could we see a full body logo? Liking what you have so far, just seems really busy, I thing the simplicity is what the previous logo really has going for it and it hasn’t really translated over

I would say try to go more along the lines of the Seahawks rebrand. All the parts are there for a great logo in the current UAA logo, they just need to be 'upgraded'. Your current concept is really busy.

12240788346_06918e5159_o.png

I like it, but it kind of loses the original's tribal feel. It's a really solid logo, and for an update to their identity, it works perfectly, but I just feel it loses a little bit of the original's charm.

Just to be more transparent, these are my reference images of actual Haida and Tlingit tribal depictions of Seawolves:

162fqs.jpg wasgo_revisited_by_mikesims-resized.png

20070526b_wasco1fixed1024.jpg

And this is the first sketch that I came up with:

2qs6lh1.jpg

It began to feel too Celtic and not dynamic enough.

Personally, I think that the sketch you put in your last post is better than the finished product. The first one is a little bit too busy but your sketch holds the necessary upgrades to the original without going into confusing detail.  

5 minutes ago, hettinger_rl said:

Could you elaborate? :)

Dammit, I should probably pay more attention to what I’m writing. I love the sketch, it is exactly what I think would look better, sorry I was kinda rushed and typed it on my phone lol

It’s the perspective. Pacific Native American art is always at that 90 degree angle, if you catch my drift, and yours is kinda at a 45 degrree angle. If it were like the sketch where it’s a flat kind of view, it would be perfect.

I'll develop this more next week, but here's my next step:

vhuihz.jpg

1 hour ago, Zeus89725 said:

It’s the perspective. Pacific Native American art is always at that 90 degree angle, if you catch my drift, and yours is kinda at a 45 degrree angle. If it were like the sketch where it’s a flat kind of view, it would be perfect.

Yeah, I was trying to take it into another view point, to make it feel more like a real creature.

2 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

I'll develop this more next week, but here's my next step:

vhuihz.jpg

That would be gorgeous if it were all colored in and polished up.

On 1/12/2018 at 5:50 PM, Zeus89725 said:

That would be gorgeous if it were all colored in and polished up.

On 1/13/2018 at 12:28 PM, B-mer said:

The latest sketch is fantastic. Can't wait to see you work with it more. 

So here is the latest sketch cleaned up:

kedd75.jpg

2 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

So here is the latest sketch cleaned up:

kedd75.jpg

I've already been inspired to tweak it:

2lwwrvo.jpg